Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2017, 10:54   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
So I tried Collinite on a whole car for the first time.

It gave a very gossy look, not the warm look I like and love of waxes. Its definitely the way for someone who wants gloss but M26 and Mothers carnauba are still the king for a deep wet rich look.
You want the warm glow look? You must try Collinite's #915 Marque D'Elegance wax. Easier to use than C476s but not as easy as C845

A friend loaned it it to me, I tried it out and it makes my champagne gold car shine like an ember. Bought a tin for myself last year. Expensive but worth it IMO.

http://www.collinite.com/automotive-...ue-d-elegance/

Quote:
haha was it that obvious? anyways more pics here :
Yes, it was And I am following that thread

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th September 2017 at 11:00. Reason: additions
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 12:20   #437
Distinguished - BHPian

SunnyBoi posted some pictures above, I am just following it up with a couple more from my camera.

This Collinite looks and feels damn good actually. This is the first time I'm experiencing it and am very impressed. It has been 5 days and the protection is still as good as it was on Friday night!

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-img_7220.jpg

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-img_7221.jpg

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-img_7223.jpg
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 12:41   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
You want the warm glow look? You must try Collinite's #915 Marque D'Elegance wax. Easier to use than C476s but not as easy as C845

A friend loaned it it to me, I tried it out and it makes my champagne gold car shine like an ember. Bought a tin for myself last year. Expensive but worth it IMO.

http://www.collinite.com/automotive-...ue-d-elegance/
I very nearly bought a tin of 915 last night because of a sale (much cheaper than 845 sold in India) but I refrained. I probably will never use that wax and so decided to skip.

This photo of my collection was taken almost 4 years ago and a lot more have been added

Most durable wax I have encountered - Collinite 845-img_20140111_072245.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 13:43   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I very nearly bought a tin of 915 last night because of a sale (much cheaper than 845 sold in India) but I refrained. I probably will never use that wax and so decided to skip.

This photo of my collection was taken almost 4 years ago and a lot more have been added

Attachment 1676087
That's a very nice collection indeed! I think those are 3 tins of Dodo Juice? Yet to try em out. Also, that looks like a pretty ancient tin of NXT, from the mid 2000s. I had one too and the NXT liquid wax. They were discarded after about 10 years. But wowee!! I notice the Holy Grail of waxes, Meguiars M16!! Where did you get that from?? If you like M16 and Gold Class Carnauba, you will really like C915.

I developed a pretty serious fetish for waxes and other detailing products, something my wife really got increasingly upset with and I had to back down to preserve the peace at home.

My 'collection' is pretty small and spans mainly Meguiars (NXT 2 wax, Ultimate polish/compound/wax, Megs #26, Gold Class Carnauba), Collinite (845, 476s, 915, leather & metal polishes) products plus a bunch of quick detailers, car shampoos, leather lotions, and waterless washes from Meguiars and Optimum. Oh yeah, there's that Optimum Opti eraser too.

One thing I need to get my grubby paws on is a DA machine. Maybe a Rupes Big Foot (or equivalent) someday coz they are expensive.

And yeah, I follow your Cedia thread (and Leoshashi's M800 thread) for lots of inspiration. Even my wife was impressed. So, given her now +ve view, howsoever temporary, of how cars can & should be detailed I am looking at sneaking in a few more products including Pinnacle/Wolfgang stuff into my stock.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 15:07   #440
BHPian

Just had a question regarding these applications on car surfaces. Usually we get our cars washed every morning by some paid person. If a nice wax application has been applied (and then buffed), should the morning car washing not be done. Or can it continue as normal.
Old 14th September 2017, 16:18   #441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Just had a question regarding these applications on car surfaces. Usually we get our cars washed every morning by some paid person. If a nice wax application has been applied (and then buffed), should the morning car washing not be done. Or can it continue as normal.
Better to wait for at least 24 hours for the wax to harden before washing the car. Some sealants require 2-3 days of 'curing' time.

Also, the more frequently you wash the car (especially with a dirty cloth and half a bucket of water as paid persons are prone to do) the lesser the wax coating lasts and more swirls you notice in the paint.

If it simple dust then you can a California or Jopasu duster to remove the dust on the car. Monsoon muck requires a proper wash preferably with a pressure washer.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 06:56   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a couple of old bottles of the 845. Do they have a definite shelf life?
Old 15th September 2017, 09:34   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I have a couple of old bottles of the 845. Do they have a definite shelf life?
The manufacturer Collinite says up to 5 years if they are stored in moderate temperatures and never allowed to freeze. See FAQ # 22

http://www.collinite.com/about-us/faqs/

But methinks they'll be just as good past the 5-year mark if stored properly.
Old 25th September 2017, 22:09   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing to beat Collinte 845/476s for durability. If you really like the look of Carnauba wax, try the following after washing your car with a good quality car shampoo:

A coat of synthetic wax AKA sealant, either one the following:
Followed by a coat (or 2), either one the following:
This one is difficult to get. Don't mistake it for Mothers California Gold Carnauba 'cleaner' wax. The latter has fine polishing compounds.
Thanks for the recommendations R2D2! I think I will bite the bullet and go for the collinite next month
Old 26th September 2017, 07:33   #445
BHPian

476s is more durable than 845, you cannot club them in the same durability bracket.
Old 26th September 2017, 13:29   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
Thanks for the recommendations R2D2! I think I will bite the bullet and go for the collinite next month
Choose your Collinite wax carefully. And no matter which one you choose make sure to apply very THIN coats. I cannot stress this enough. With waxes thin is in.

476s lasts longer but is difficult to buff off. Time this carefully as it is a real b*** to remove once it has dried on the paint. And yeah, get your arms ready for a real workout

845 is much easier to apply and buff off but it doesn't last as long as the 476s.

915 - Well this one is the cream of the Collinite crop and expensive.

I'd recommend you start your Collinite experience with the C845.

Good luck and do share before-and-after pictures of your car.
Old 26th September 2017, 14:36   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Choose your Collinite wax carefully. And no matter which one you choose make sure to apply very THIN coats. I cannot stress this enough. With waxes thin is in.

476s lasts longer but is difficult to buff off. Time this carefully as it is a real b*** to remove once it has dried on the paint. And yeah, get your arms ready for a real workout

845 is much easier to apply and buff off but it doesn't last as long as the 476s.

915 - Well this one is the cream of the Collinite crop and expensive.

I'd recommend you start your Collinite experience with the C845.

Good luck and do share before-and-after pictures of your car.
Is 476s more detergent proof? I want to protect my ride against the abuse from car wash guys. Also, I don't have a closed parking so the car has to be in the sun and dust. Moreover, there is a railway track nearby so I guess some soot would settle on the paint too. Should I clay the car and then wax? The car's just three months old
Old 26th September 2017, 16:25   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car's just three months old
No need to clay a 3 month old car, unless you see tar or sticky dirt on the paint.
Old 26th September 2017, 16:47   #449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is 476s more detergent proof? I want to protect my ride against the abuse from car wash guys. Also, I don't have a closed parking so the car has to be in the sun and dust. Moreover, there is a railway track nearby so I guess some soot would settle on the paint too. Should I clay the car and then wax? The car's just three months old
Firstly remember that all waxes are affected by detergents depending on the type you use. Hope you choose to use a car shampoo.

Household detergents, hair shampoos (like some "learned" car wash centre owners use) will wash off any automobile wax. Period.

That said, yes, 476s will outlast any other Collinite and many other waxes by a fair margin.

Since the car is new you can avoid claying however do keep in mind train locomotives (diesel-electric) not just throw soot in the air but train brakes also throw metal particles. Use a product like IronX to get rid of them.

Since your car is out in the open do consider buying a good Tyvek car cover. All this hard work preserving the paint is of limited use if it is exposed to a hostile environment on a daily basis. You car is new and efforts to preserve the paint and clearcoat will enhance its looks even through the years.

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th September 2017 at 16:49.
Old 26th September 2017, 17:16   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly remember that all waxes are affected by detergents depending on the type you use. Hope you choose to use a car shampoo.

Household detergents, hair shampoos (like some "learned" car wash centre owners use) will wash off any automobile wax. Period.

That said, yes, 476s will outlast any other Collinite and many other waxes by a fair margin.

Since the car is new you can avoid claying however do keep in mind train locomotives (diesel-electric) not just throw soot in the air but train brakes also throw metal particles. Use a product like IronX to get rid of them.

Since your car is out in the open do consider buying a good Tyvek car cover. All this hard work preserving the paint is of limited use if it is exposed to a hostile environment on a daily basis. You car is new and efforts to preserve the paint and clearcoat will enhance its looks even through the years.
I would never use any of the harsh chemicals on my car, neither let anyone do so. I have the Amway car wash shampoo ordered, will check out the iron x to clear the iron particles from paint. Got a nice car cover too, just need to use it more often :lazy:. Thank for your inputs!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks