Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2008, 10:32   #2176
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I wanna put Phiips Xtreme Power or Essential Vision in my Getz.

Can you please suggest which one is better?

Xtreme Power is 55/60w ,on the other hand Essential Vision is 90/100w.

Which one has a better area coverage and brightness and also suitable for rain?

Please let me know fast coz m going to GOA by car on Friday!!!!!!!

Hi ankushmulay,

If you are looking for a bulb upgrade without adding in an extra relay, then I suggest you go in to the Xtreme Power bulbs from Philips. If you do want to cut your wiring and ad in an extra relay then you could updgrade to the Essential Vision 90/100 W bulbs.

In my opinion, for driving in the rains, the Xtreme Power bulbs from Philips do an excellent job!

I have written a detailed review on the Philips Xtreme Power bulbs and you can read it at this link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...-h4-bulbs.html

Cheers,

Pritish
Old 8th October 2008, 22:24   #2177
Senior - BHPian

went into a shop looking for some Crystal visions. the shop said that all they had were Type R bulbs. Are they any good ?
Old 8th October 2008, 22:31   #2178
BHPian

go for 90/100 .. power is very good compared to 55/60
Old 9th October 2008, 00:39   #2179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
went into a shop looking for some Crystal visions. the shop said that all they had were Type R bulbs. Are they any good ?
Type R bulbs?? Stay away I say; cheap Chinese fakes I presume!
Old 9th October 2008, 05:08   #2180
BHPian

Yea, bought a set of the same type of bulbs in Bangkok and MAN were they horrible. They probably lit up the bumper of my car more than anything else!!
Old 10th October 2008, 07:24   #2181
BHPian

Guys i have been using Narvas 100/90 on my Santro Xing and noticed a very strange problem.

A: Scenario 1

1: Changed the Relay to Bosch
2: Fitted Narvas 100/90
3: 1 Bulb Blew exactly after 1 month

Scenario 2

1: Fitted another set of Narvas
2: 1 Month Later = Bulb Blew

Scenario 3

1: Fitted Narvas again as i wanted pure bright white light.

So finally got 100/90 Type R's which by now am damn sure are purely cosmetic, but still running fine from past 1 year. What could be the problem in this case. As both bulbs are 100/90. I am so confused.
Old 11th October 2008, 01:48   #2182
BHPian

Hello All,

I searched in this thread but could not find any similar posts, if it is already there please feel free to delete this. I have a pair of Hella 550 Fog Lamps in front and one Hella 550 reverse (Clear Glass) light at rear. When i bought the Jeep, all of those caps/covers were melted and shape less - Thanks to the lousy switches on dash. Now i shifted the switches to another location and changed to pull/push type switch. I want to replace all those caps/covers. From where can i get it? Is is available separately? its available thru Amazon but they will not ship it to India. If its available from where i can get it in Bangalore?

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 11th October 2008, 10:21   #2183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikibusa View Post
A: Scenario 1
3: 1 Bulb Blew exactly after 1 month

Scenario 2

Scenario 3
The culprit is wiring.

Go to a garage with a good electrician and ask them to use proper quality of wires. If the relay is some local make than get one that will support 100/90 (roots).
Old 11th October 2008, 19:44   #2184
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
The culprit is wiring.

Go to a garage with a good electrician and ask them to use proper quality of wires. If the relay is some local make than get one that will support 100/90 (roots).
IMO wiring appears less likely to be the culprit. It can at worse conduct less current than desired and therefore reduce the voltage which on the contrary may actually increase the longevity! At best they can conduct only as good as they were supposed to so cant affect the bulb filament life more than the original wiring.

Bear in mind 100/90W bulbs have significantly lesser lifetime than to 60/55W. Potentially one can blow them up over a usage of 75-100 hours or a little less depending on bulb type (extra bright or long life) & bulb manufacturer Outside the inherent properties of the bulb the other most significant factor is the terminal voltage supplied to the bulb. If they are higher than rated it can blow the bulb off at any time much earlier than the rated lifetime of the filament. In this case, if they were blown out on average of less than 50 hours of total usage then i suspect the relay could be the culprit - delivering current to the bulbs at much higher voltage
Old 12th October 2008, 10:26   #2185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
IMO wiring appears less likely to be the culprit.
(a)Bear in mind 100/90W bulbs have significantly lesser lifetime than to 60/55W. (b)Potentially one can blow them up over a usage of 75-100 hours or a little less depending on bulb type (extra bright or long life) & bulb manufacturer
@abk
(a)I fully agree with your statement above in italics.
(b)But the next line is not correct as per my experience abk.I have used Philips Rally H4 12V 130/100 W P43t-38 bulb in my previous car for more than 3 and 1/2 years without any problem whatsoever.Even there was no signs of burnt reflectors,etc as claimed by quite a few here.I had installed bakelite holders and good quality wiring with separate relays and it lasted till I sold the car in late April 2008.I bought my current car in 1st week of May 2008,and have installed the same Philips Rally 130/100W ( obviously more powerful than the 100/90Ws,and also with a reported heat generation in excess of 200 degrees C !). No issues till date.Quite a few T-Bhpians have seen my lighting while riding with me and have been astonished by the amount of illumination I get.High beams are plain and simple murder for oncoming traffic ! I would strongly suggest use of bakelite holders,extremely high quality wiring harness and use of 2 separate relays for the bulbs.One can check 'view my garage' to see what I have done. Till date no problems even in torrential rains.Just 2 things I want to point out here:
The bulbs generate enormous heat,so use it judiciously like turning it off at traffic signals (this would definitely help in preserving longevity).
Secondly,there is a warning on the stock boxes these bulbs are sold in -->'Not approved for public roads' !!

@s0uljah
I agree with you completely mate.I think that the culprit is the wiring.

@nikibusa
Get the entire set-up checked and replace necessary parts by an experienced person.

Last edited by ultimatechamp : 12th October 2008 at 10:32.
Old 12th October 2008, 11:01   #2186
BHPian

Thanks a ton guys for your help. I will certainly do the needful soon and then get a better set of lights soon.
Old 12th October 2008, 13:48   #2187
BHPian

@nikibusa - As pointed out in a lot of posts, 100/90 do have a shorter span than normal 55/60 bulbs. I think the Type R bulbs are not real 100/90 bulbs, thus are lasting till now (their time will come too ).

Above all this, bulbs blowing in 1 month's time is not the way it should be. I see your initial post says you changed the relay to Bosch, but no wiring change??

The culprit has been detected!

EDIT: Just realised, I hope the Narvas you bought are not fake are they? Check with another set of bulbs.

Last edited by ankitahuja : 12th October 2008 at 13:50.
Old 12th October 2008, 21:44   #2188
BHPian

for people using osram nightbreaker, can you guys comment upon the life on this bulb? do they last only for a few months?
i know i might sound stupid but just wanted to know how short the life of a +90 bulb is?
Old 13th October 2008, 01:03   #2189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
@nikibusa - As pointed out in a lot of posts, 100/90 do have a shorter span than normal 55/60 bulbs. I think the Type R bulbs are not real 100/90 bulbs, thus are lasting till now (their time will come too ).

Above all this, bulbs blowing in 1 month's time is not the way it should be. I see your initial post says you changed the relay to Bosch, but no wiring change??

The culprit has been detected!

EDIT: Just realised, I hope the Narvas you bought are not fake are they? Check with another set of bulbs.
Ankit.. With the new relay i had also got the wiring changed, But dont know what happened. And as far as the Narvas are concerned i always buy stuff from my friend who is very well known in the circle for his audio installs and the stuff he sells. But might have been a bad product sale from the market to him. But not thrice right? Nevrmind.. I am not going to play with the lights anymore and cant live without the Type-r's as they compliment my strobes.
Old 13th October 2008, 19:28   #2190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikibusa View Post
Ankit.. With the new relay i had also got the wiring changed, But dont know what happened. And as far as the Narvas are concerned i always buy stuff from my friend who is very well known in the circle for his audio installs and the stuff he sells. But might have been a bad product sale from the market to him. But not thrice right? Nevrmind.. I am not going to play with the lights anymore and cant live without the Type-r's as they compliment my strobes.
I have personally used Narvas in the past before I shifted to Philips Rally.There is a misconception that Philips is Rallye,but Philips trademark is 'Rally'. 'Rallye' is a trademark from Hella stable. Anyways,Narvas are pretty decent bulbs with good illumination but I somehow felt that Philips Rally bulbs are better with longer lifespan.I still have a couple of pairs of Narvas. IMO,the wiring harness and the relays are very important as well as the electrician/mechanic who is doing it.Keep a close watch and don't let him do any short cut with the electricals of your car.
Best of Luck Nikibusa

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks