Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 16:46   #2056
BHPian

Philips Xtreme Power VS Osram NightBreaker

I have been looking for the best lights for safari with configuration similar to OEM, so that I don't have to install any extra kit to support more lighting. Now it seems I have found one. During all this time I came across the two bulbs from the stable of Philips and Osram (which were supposed to provide the best lights from a 60/55 watts configuration).

I thought to share my experience with all you guys. These are my observation in mixed conditions (roads with patholes, rainy and dry condition).

Osram Night Breaker

I got this bulb about two month back costing rs 1500, (MRP Said 1800), during the time I was about to leave for chattisgarh trip (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...touching+heart)

When installed, I can see the difference when the shop owner showed me the light by throwing the beam on the wall, Wow white lights with a tinge of blue. Looks brilliant and i was happy to see the difference. I was excited and wanted to hit the car on road as soon as possible. Went to home on a low beam and it was clear winner as compared to my OEM bulbs on the lower beam. Put it on a higher beam and it looked fantastic. they were whiter lights. Wow...

The next morning i left for my trip and it was rainy season. During this trip when I actually got chance to use the headlight, it was in chattisgarh and then the shock.

The lights were whiter (no doubt) but the had some unwanted blue in it. Roads were wet and lots of greenery around. So it took me extra efforts to see the road patches. the most white parts of the beam were fine but those portion were confined to a few meters on the road and i had to try hard to see them at high speeds. around 100 kmph. The low beam were still excellent and every portion of the road was visible, but you can't speed on low beams.

Same problem when i was coming back to delhi. In between i changed my bullb back to OEM philips and then i was more comfortable at high beam, but the problem now was with low beam.

Philips Xtreme Power

Now last week I got Xtreme power at rs 900 from ebay. and went for a trip to shimla. This time the low beams were brialliant almost comparable with night breaker. But the good thing was High beam which was brialliant again. But this time I can speed my self to almost 120 without any glitches of road view. These are whiter in a real sense. When focussed on a wall people may say that the high beam is yellow but i would say Nightbreakers are more blue and hence Xtreme powere felt yellow.

I found Xtreme power more practical. Remember the roads are grey and with rains, patholes, patches etc its hard to see them at high speed in a blue tint.

My Verdict

Both the bulbs are good at low beam but its the Xtreme power which scores above when it comes to high beam. The throw is good in both of them but the problem with Nighbreaker is its slight more blue then it should be. When beamed on a wall both looks good (including high beam) coz the throw is perpendicular, but when it somes to throw on a road Xtreme power is clear winner.

Xtreme Power is good for both highways and city use. Nightbreakers are for city use.
So now i have put Night breaker in my esteem with safari running on Xtreme Power.

Last edited by abbey4u : 25th August 2008 at 16:48.
Old 25th August 2008, 17:12   #2057
Senior - BHPian

Do they come in the 100/130 or 90/100 power as well?

I have the Rallye 100/130 on my car but if something less powerful is better than why not!!

Last edited by iceman91 : 25th August 2008 at 17:16.
Old 25th August 2008, 17:36   #2058
Senior - BHPian

Abbey4u, that was extremely useful, thanks mate

Am I making a mistake or were you in Bangalore earlier?
Old 25th August 2008, 17:49   #2059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
Do they come in the 100/130 or 90/100 power as well?

I have the Rallye 100/130 on my car but if something less powerful is better than why not!!
I don't think so. You can try their website if they are available or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Abbey4u, that was extremely useful, thanks mate

Am I making a mistake or were you in Bangalore earlier?
Thanks Suman, I was in bangalore for about a month at around two years back. I have a lot of fiends working in bangalore
Old 25th August 2008, 18:22   #2060
BHPian

Any idea how to change the headlamps of Santro? One of my 3 yr old Philips Rally burnt-out. I tried it yesterday, but could not open the metal "clip-like fitting" which holds the bulb. Moreover the position of left bulb is too tricky to open without removing some other stuff (radiator water tank?) in the neighborhood.
Old 27th August 2008, 18:37   #2061
BHPian

Can anyone tell me, where can I find Philips X-Treme Power in Mumbai ? Tried a couple of shops, but they had without B/W.
Old 28th August 2008, 10:14   #2062
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to put in Philips diamond visions in my Indica. Headlamps, park lights and fogs.
What are the sizes I need ? I think the HL are H4, no idea about the rest.

TVM bhpians - any idea who stocks them here ?
Old 28th August 2008, 16:26   #2063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Hmmm, not sure how you deduced that because its easy to adjust beam cutoff in a projector setup not in the regular HL. Anyhow like I said I need to fine tune a little more.
I thought so because the right side was far better illuminated than the right , when it needed to be vice versa
Old 28th August 2008, 17:45   #2064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I thought so because the right side was far better illuminated than the left, when it needed to be vice versa
Sorry, previous quote corrected.

Just got a call from an acessories shop, the one at vazhuthacaud. Said Crystal vision and another model , extreme something ( Xtreme power?) was available at ~1.1k each. Which one to buy
Old 28th August 2008, 17:51   #2065
BHPian

crystal one for 1.1 k is too much. last i checked here in delhi they were around 850 bucks and the diamonds were around 950 bucks or something.
Old 28th August 2008, 18:03   #2066
Senior - BHPian

plus shipping i guess it will cost the same too here I guess. The "dealer" here is a small operation. he said he gets it from somewhere in ekm, and I guess the rest goes to shipping.
All I want to know is , which will have longer life , the Xtreme or the crystal ?
Old 28th August 2008, 18:39   #2067
BHPian

the shipping shall at most be 75 bucks i think may be 80 as they dont have much weight. rest i can even re confirm the pricing if needed.

Edit : just called the friend to ask says around 900 bucks for the diamond and 850 for the crystals with a 25 bucks here and there on the day to day basis.

Last edited by 200mph : 28th August 2008 at 18:42.
Old 28th August 2008, 20:20   #2068
BHPian

Philips extreme power (60/55W - H4) is available on ebay.
I was looking for a replacement for my Cedia.
Is it wise to buy it from ebay. How do we know the authenticity of the product.
Or is it available in any shops in Bangalore?
Old 29th August 2008, 14:30   #2069
BHPian

guys a couple of quick questions.

Can a 100/130 with relay be fitted easily to the stock unit of a lancer or its better to stick with 90/100 for an upgrade from 55/60W stock bulbs.
My main concern is heat messing up with the lens and reflector.

My lancer doesn't have clear lenses so makes sense to go for yellow lights ratehr than whiter ones like Osram night breaker.

Which one to go for ? Osrams or Philips ?
Old 29th August 2008, 14:42   #2070
Team-BHP Support

leadf00t 130/100W has a "luck issue also".
For example my indica earlier had 130/110W, and there was slight reflector damage as well as holder damage since it was designed for 100W max.
Later due to a small accident, the LHS headlight got replaced. I am using 130/110W in LHS(new headlight) and 100/90 Halonix in RHS. There have been no issues with this till now.
So there is a small chance that reflector can get damaged.
Irrespective of that make sure you get a relay with bakelite holders which can handle the high heat of 130W

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th August 2008 at 17:55.

Most Viewed