Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2007, 20:11   #1066
BHPian

My Ikon has 90/100w headlamps with some relay which I don't know. Is it possible to have the relay removed and put in a new Roots relay and 130/100w headlamps?

cya
A
Old 8th November 2007, 00:23   #1067
BHPian

Water in my headlight!!!

Hey guys,

I have a serious problem, since the rains in june of this year (Which was quite something i must say), i have noticed water droplets in the right headlight of my NHC . Although the area where i parked my car did get flooded, the water wasn't high enough to reach the headlight it was below my exaust pipe level, plus the car was parked in a stilt parking. Now the problem is that everytime there are water droplets in my headlight which seems to be very little when i dont use my car and become a lot n get dripping or kinda slides down the inside of the headlight cover when the car is on for a long time (Even with the headlight off).Got a garage guy clean it and also put some kind of seal around the light, but the droplets are still there . Im plannin to get my lights changed to the philips h4 ones as they seem to be good as i have read from this thread, but cant seem to do it due to this problem . Plz help !!!
Old 9th November 2007, 11:16   #1068
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I am looking at upgrading my stock headlights and fog lamps on my Swift to HIDs. Ive been through this thread but i still can't seem to finalise the same. Which brand of HIDs should i go in for? Where in Mumbai can i purchase the same and that too from a reputed dealer who will not screw up the wiring of my car and do a neat job? I believe for best visibility one should go in for 6000K HIDs?

I have also seen and heard of normal bulbs (i think they are Phillips) which give out almost the same intensity of 4500K or 6000K HIDs. Can anybody tell me as to which brand and specification of bulbs are those? Do we get similar bulbs for fog lamps on the Swift? Where can i purchase the same in Mumbai?

Please help.

Thanks.

Epic
Old 9th November 2007, 11:32   #1069
BHPian

Epic!! If my memory serves me right, you were discussing the option of a HID quite long back. yeah? Or was it for another car of yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I have also seen and heard of normal bulbs (i think they are Phillips) which give out almost the same intensity of 4500K or 6000K HIDs.
One point you still did not get right from my long lecture,...

4500K or 6000K (Kelvin) is the unit of color temperature... how cold or how hot, how blue or how red (towards yellow and beyond) is the output.

If you want to compare intensity,.. that will be lumens. Am sure manufacturers like Philips and Bosch (the real ones, i mean) will quote this value on the packaging.

All the best. BTW, what's your budget?
Old 9th November 2007, 11:37   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
Now the problem is that everytime there are water droplets in my headlight which seems to be very little when i dont use my car and become a lot n get dripping or kinda slides down the inside of the headlight cover when the car is on for a long time (Even with the headlight off).Got a garage guy clean it and also put some kind of seal around the light, but the droplets are still there . Im plannin to get my lights changed to the philips h4 ones as they seem to be good as i have read from this thread, but cant seem to do it due to this problem . Plz help !!!

You can try this,...
- do the same job of opening, cleaning of your headlamp casing as you said you did before
- ensure the edges of the joint are clean - sand off the existing glue or whatever seal your mechanic used.
- put in your new bulb, you said so. yeah?
- while putting it back use a generous amount of silicone sealant, (look out for this in hardware stores and dont think of Pamela anderson while doing this ), along the line where the reflective casing joins the lens.

I have done this for an age old NE and never saw the Mumbai rains enter or produce a steamy finish after that.

Last edited by gbpscars : 9th November 2007 at 11:38.
Old 9th November 2007, 11:54   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Hi gbps.

Yes you are right. Ive been discussing this for ages now but as i said, i still have'nt come to a conclusion as to what bulbs i should go in for. What do you suggest?? In terms of budget? I dont have one! I was all out for HIDs but then was told that it is illegal if installed in a normal setup and would require the projector setup for the same. I was to purchase the projectors for my Swift from Satya but then was told that the focussing will have to be done manually. The high beam and low beam are two seperate bulbs as they have two seperate housings. Satya told me that i need not buy two seperate kits for the high/low beam but instead one kit and two sets of bulbs for the same which can be connected to the same kit. Dont know if thats the right thing to do.

Then i decided to just fit in normal halogen bulbs which look like HIDs but i need similar ones for my fogs too.

Now you tell me what should i do?

Epic

================================================== =====

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
Epic!! If my memory serves me right, you were discussing the option of a HID quite long back. yeah? Or was it for another car of yours?

One point you still did not get right from my long lecture,...

4500K or 6000K (Kelvin) is the unit of color temperature... how cold or how hot, how blue or how red (towards yellow and beyond) is the output.

If you want to compare intensity,.. that will be lumens. Am sure manufacturers like Philips and Bosch (the real ones, i mean) will quote this value on the packaging.

All the best. BTW, what's your budget?
Old 9th November 2007, 12:27   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
I was to purchase the projectors for my Swift from Satya but then was told that the focussing will have to be done manually. The high beam and low beam are two seperate bulbs as they have two seperate housings. Satya told me that i need not buy two seperate kits for the high/low beam but instead one kit and two sets of bulbs for the same which can be connected to the same kit. Dont know if thats the right thing to do.

Then i decided to just fit in normal halogen bulbs which look like HIDs but i need similar ones for my fogs too.

Now you tell me what should i do?

Epic

Satya has told you about an ideal setup for HID for your Swift and would be a bit expensive. But that is the best, legal and head turning option I wanted to get one for my OHC with angel eyes, but I was quoted upto 35K for a pair inclusive of bulbs and the igniter kit a clean bolt-on from someone on Overdrive magazine.

I think for you it will be something like this. Am sure I have seen this on TBHP, but I forgot who has this. I have seen it in real life too on a black swift, looks great.

About a single kit driving 2 bulbs, it can be done of course. But there must be some sort of switcher that takes care of pre-warming and keeping the bulb live for quick switching (remember we are talking about HID here and not plain filament lamps).

Not much idea on the latest tech in market, but I know the BMW / Skoda setup uses such a thing and even has a flasher circuit!!! and you can flash your HID. WOW!!

Last edited by gbpscars : 9th November 2007 at 12:29.
Old 9th November 2007, 13:00   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Hi gbps,

Yes the projectors in your pic are the same ones being sold by Satya. I have no issues with them; its just that for some reason im not comfortable with the fact of getting the focusing done manually as i know it may not be as good as the original. About switching them from hig to low beam and vise versa, Satya said that it can be done as normally done the conventional way from the control stick in the car itself. You mean to say if i install HIDs on my Swift, i will not be able to flash them?? Thats disappointing.

Ok incase i rule out the HID fitment, which bulbs should i use to get a similar effect like HIDs?

Epic

================================================== ============

Quote:
Satya has told you about an ideal setup for HID for your Swift and would be a bit expensive. But that is the best, legal and head turning option I wanted to get one for my OHC with angel eyes, but I was quoted upto 35K for a pair inclusive of bulbs and the igniter kit a clean bolt-on from someone on Overdrive magazine.

I think for you it will be something like this. Am sure I have seen this on TBHP, but I forgot who has this. I have seen it in real life too on a black swift, looks great.

About a single kit driving 2 bulbs, it can be done of course. But there must be some sort of switcher that takes care of pre-warming and keeping the bulb live for quick switching (remember we are talking about HID here and not plain filament lamps).

Not much idea on the latest tech in market, but I know the BMW / Skoda setup uses such a thing and even has a flasher circuit!!! and you can flash your HID. WOW!!
Old 9th November 2007, 14:59   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
..........its just that for some reason im not comfortable with the fact of getting the focusing done manually as i know it may not be as good as the original.
focusing or headlamp alignment was always done manually. for my OHC, I do it a home, myself. the computerised alignment and other stuff are outcomes of technological growth and FOR SURE offer far better alignment techniques, but one having good knowledge of the road rules and ways to align a lamp is not far from the outcome.

so just get that part off your head. but remember to do the alignment.

Quote:
About switching them from hig to low beam and vise versa, Satya said that it can be done as normally done the conventional way from the control stick in the car itself. You mean to say if i install HIDs on my Swift, i will not be able to flash them?? Thats disappointing.
i'm afraid, i cant help you much on this. i've worked with my friend's gold old BMW while we changed it from its reflective headlamps to one with the angel eyes and HID projector. it was then that i saw a seperate circuit box in the kit apart from the 2 ballasts. the manual called it the bulb-warmer for the 'let me pass' signal. probably this technology is now passe, as it was 4 years before.

please check with Satya.

Quote:
Ok incase i rule out the HID fitment, which bulbs should i use to get a similar effect like HIDs?
you cant rule out HID fitment. projector housings are meant for HIDs and reflective ones for halogens (though there are a few projectors for halogens too). inter changing one with the other will not give the desired result as you can already see with the re-based HID kits being sold for fitment into reflective housings. too much glare on the face and not optimum light on the road.

just spend lot of time looking at the projected image or the light falling on the road when a BMW / Skoda Laura passes by you, you will know the difference.

Last edited by gbpscars : 9th November 2007 at 15:03.
Old 9th November 2007, 17:49   #1075
BHPian

Hey, i'm in chandigarh and i need to know if there are any xenon/projection LED head lamp assy available in Delhi.? Also is there any mods to the electrical systems that are to be made.
Old 9th November 2007, 18:11   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Hi gbps,

Thank you for the suggestions, however, what i meant was, if i decide not to use projectors with HIDs and just decide to stick with the reflective setup, are there any bulbs available which are close to looking like and giving the similar light intensity of HIDs?

Epic

================================================== ============

Quote:
focusing or headlamp alignment was always done manually. for my OHC, I do it a home, myself. the computerised alignment and other stuff are outcomes of technological growth and FOR SURE offer far better alignment techniques, but one having good knowledge of the road rules and ways to align a lamp is not far from the outcome.

so just get that part off your head. but remember to do the alignment.

i'm afraid, i cant help you much on this. i've worked with my friend's gold old BMW while we changed it from its reflective headlamps to one with the angel eyes and HID projector. it was then that i saw a seperate circuit box in the kit apart from the 2 ballasts. the manual called it the bulb-warmer for the 'let me pass' signal. probably this technology is now passe, as it was 4 years before.

please check with Satya.

you cant rule out HID fitment. projector housings are meant for HIDs and reflective ones for halogens (though there are a few projectors for halogens too). inter changing one with the other will not give the desired result as you can already see with the re-based HID kits being sold for fitment into reflective housings. too much glare on the face and not optimum light on the road.

just spend lot of time looking at the projected image or the light falling on the road when a BMW / Skoda Laura passes by you, you will know the difference.
Old 9th November 2007, 18:44   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
My Ikon has 90/100w headlamps with some relay which I don't know. Is it possible to have the relay removed and put in a new Roots relay and 130/100w headlamps?

cya
A
I need an answer for this.
Sorry for requoting up, but then my post was getting buried up! Surely there would be an answer for this.
Btw, I think with the relay I have now, the OE wires have been spliced in. Just a guessing.

cya
A
Old 9th November 2007, 18:53   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
I need an answer for this.
Sorry for requoting up, but then my post was getting buried up! Surely there would be an answer for this.
Btw, I think with the relay I have now, the OE wires have been spliced in. Just a guessing.

cya
A

@Absar: absolutely possible. why not.

first check if the relay capacity can handle a 100/130 right away before you think of removing it, as i had a higher capacity relay installed the first time i upgraded to a 90/100. your technician could have done that.

If not, get a new relay to handle the new 100/130.

i assume the cable gauge that was used for your 90/100 is of a good quality, else it calls for a total change of the cable too.

and, there are a lot of chances that your OE wires have been spliced in.
Old 9th November 2007, 18:54   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1. Get 100/90W bulbs like Halonix +60 or philips ralleye(if you can get orginal ones). Also get a relay with holders fitted. you can get all this in sector 16 noida for a total cost of 500rs. 250 for bulbs, and 250 for master wiring kit(thick nice wires)
2. Drive in low beam in fog. Thats the most you can do. Low mounted fog lamps will help slightly, but best is to drive slowly at low beam
3. Already answered.
4. When the road is empty with nobody approaching and nobody in front of you, drive high beam. If you are tailing someone, switch to low beam so you do not blind the guy in front. Also when a car comes at you, switch to low, if the other guy does not dip and you can't see a thing, switch to high, after all your safety is also important. Try keeping a hand towards the right to shield your eyes against the glare and slow down.
Thanks for your detailed answer !
will try to get the bulbs changed this weekend.
Halonix H4 series is it not? and anything particular abt the relay & wiring kit? any particular brand or something..?
Old 9th November 2007, 19:32   #1080
BHPian

Thanks a lot gbpscars for your answer for my query.
Is it possible to find out by ourselves by looking at the relay if it can handle a 130/100 or only the mechanics can do it?

EDIT: How much would a new set of wires cost? The wires which would've been spliced in.

Thanks
cya
A

Last edited by Absar : 9th November 2007 at 19:51.

Most Viewed