Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 10:45   #6076
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@madnish30; I think for HIDs in the high beam you will have to go for projectors. HID in normal High beam lamps is a definite No-no. Also, I suggest you go for 4300K. I know these are a bit difficult to find. I consider 6000K or higher more of show offs than for real.
Sir, I'm not sure which of the two already has a projector - but I have a hunch that its the low beam with the projectors.

Yes, I'll see if 4300k fits my budget, if not sadly I'll have to settle for 6000k - which is mot too bad considering people even chose 12000k

Any approx cost of a pair of branded, long lasting HID 4300k/6000k bulbs ? I have heard and red bout philips, osram and bosch any others ?

Also cost difference xenons and hids ?
Old 13th April 2012, 23:14   #6077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I don't think many people here would know the price of the entire assembly. However here's a few tips.

First do you have any pics? That way people will know the issue. Secondly, is the clear plastic faded or dulled. If yes then you get headlight restoration kits to fix that. If that works then your good to go else you can try to change the bulbs. Last option is to change the assembly.

Pictures are what we need along with details on the issue.
Okay I got some pictures - note the difference between left and right headlamps - you will understand my problem. And give the appropriate solution...

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-car.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img2012041200008.jpg

Last edited by madnish30 : 13th April 2012 at 23:16.
madnish30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 23:36   #6078
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Okay I got some pictures - note the difference between left and right headlamps - you will understand my problem. And give the appropriate solution...

Attachment 915572

Attachment 915564
I have a feeling a good headlight restoration kit will work for you. If you don't get it in India you may have to order it from abroad. Search for 3M headlight restoration kit to know more details.

3M

This will work if it's on the outside.

If the dullness is on inside the cheapest option is to get a professional to remove the outside plastic. Look at this thread where they remove the outside plastic by heating with hot air gun:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...est-shine.html

Once the clear plastic is removed, get it cleaned with the restoration kit.

Easiest but expensive option you already know is to replace the headlamp.
Old 13th April 2012, 23:44   #6079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I have a feeling a good headlight restoration kit will work for you. If you don't get it in India you may have to order it from abroad. Search for 3M headlight restoration kit to know more details.

3M

This will work if it's on the outside.

If the dullness is on inside the cheapest option is to get a professional to remove the outside plastic. Look at this thread where they remove the outside plastic by heating with hot air gun:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...est-shine.html

Once the clear plastic is removed, get it cleaned with the restoration kit.

Easiest but expensive option you already know is to replace the headlamp.
Okay, I did quite a lot of research about the same - rang up dealers etc etc - only viable options are 1 and 3 since I'm not at all comfortable getting the lamp opened (otherwise why would I kill my desire for angel eyes and a second projector

I will check tomorrow if it's external or internal - though I still feel that restoring it won't match to a 2 month old headlamp, but somewhat close indeed - currently the light scatters and does not throw a straight beam thanks to the rough and faded surface.

I also did research on eBay an OEM headlamp costs around $60-$100, which is not SO bad, but now that the Camry will be built in Chennai, I assume spares will be slightly cheaper - any approx estimates or guesses ? If anyone has a clue about Altis, Camry can't be much more than the Altis I assume.

PS: Sending a PM see if you can help there.
Old 14th April 2012, 03:33   #6080
Senior - BHPian

You can try using any compound/polish that you have on the lamp lens and work it in a small section to see if there's any improvement.
Old 14th April 2012, 14:20   #6081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
You can try using any compound/polish that you have on the lamp lens and work it in a small section to see if there's any improvement.
Any suggestions (brands/material) for the same ? I have never done this before and there are just too many types talked about out there (searched about the same!)...
Old 14th April 2012, 14:35   #6082
Senior - BHPian

Any mild rubbing compound will do the job!

Best would be Meguiars ultimate compound as it will cut hard and finish nicely as the abrasives break down! (good one step product).

Afterwards, use the sealant/wax of your choice on the lamp lens to protect it from UV!
Old 14th April 2012, 18:36   #6083
BANNED

Rub if you must, but be prepared to have a solution worse than the disease. If you must I will suggest use jewellers rouge.
Old 14th April 2012, 19:33   #6084
BHPian

Just found out that the 3M kits start at 3500 and go upto 9000 for the basic ones, I don't have a drill, neither am I confident about this DIY.

On the other hand a RH headlamp assembly starts at $40 goes upto $80 with $30 to $50 on shipping+customs. Toyota guys I think won't charge more than 7-8k for the entire assembly replacement.

While ebaying bumped into some cool and affordable assembljes such as:

07-09 Camry BLK CCFL Angel Eye Halo Projector Headlight

07-09 Camry CCFL Angel Eye Halo Projector Headlights 08

07-09 TOYOTA CAMRY CCFL HALO PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS BLK + "L.E.D." TAIL LIGHTS LED

07-09 TOYOTA CAMRY DUAL CCFL TYPE ANGEL EYE HALO PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS BLACK PAIR

Will either of them suit the car or I should go for only RH assembly replacement from Toyota or US dealers depending which is cheaper ?

suggestion welcome from all, pictures of the car are a few posts above.
Thanks.
Old 15th April 2012, 21:11   #6085
BHPian

Hi guys,

I am sorry for not having gone through the entire thread for suggestions that would have been given earlier.

I recently got the new swift d, and would like to upgrade the bulbs. I am very iffy about driving at night, and would love to have the most illumination that i can get

I do not want to foul with the wiring/go with any relays etc. it should be a plug and play job.

What do the experts recommend? i have not been hearing very good things about the Night breakers+.

Pls consider longivity, performance in rain etc.

If you can mention approx cost it would be great. Thanks!
Old 16th April 2012, 00:28   #6086
BHPian

Guys

I need to know if there is a good retrofitter for projector lamps in Delhi NCR. Preferably a tried and tested one and also trustworthy.

If all goes as planned, I would be ordering a complete retrofit kit in the coming days, but there is no point in doing that if I have no retrofitter.

Sushruth had told me about 2 of them, one is retrofit riders and others name I suddenly cannot remember. If they have been tried by someone then that would be great.
If no one is found I guess retrofit riders would be the default choice.
Old 16th April 2012, 01:55   #6087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
...I do not want to foul with the wiring/go with any relays etc. it should be a plug and play job.

What do the experts recommend? i have not been hearing very good things about the Night breakers+...
For plug & play higher output bulbs, you have to either go with Philips extreme vision or Osram NBs. I had NBs on my car for a year and it served me too well on my long night drives! Am not sure what's wrong with NB+ though! You might try Philips extreme vision in that case. Approximate price would be around Rs. 1000/- to 1500/- for a pair; give or take couple of hundreds on both sides.

If you can get the wiring for 100W bulbs from the A$$ [yeah, many of them do it], your warranty will stay good! The charges for fitment would be around 1200/- [couple of hundreds here & there again] and those bulbs cost like Rs. 300/- a pair I guess.
Old 16th April 2012, 09:15   #6088
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Yes, I'll see if 4300k fits my budget, if not sadly I'll have to settle for 6000k - which is mot too bad considering people even chose 12000k

Any approx cost of a pair of branded, long lasting HID 4300k/6000k bulbs ? I have heard and red bout philips, osram and bosch any others ?

Also cost difference xenons and hids ?
Let me try. Projectors in India are only in some top end cars (Audi, BMW, Merc, etc). The low beam of top end Corolla has HID. I am told that 4300K and 6000K do not have much of a price difference. You can go higher, more of a show off, since these lights do not perform as well in rain/fog. One additional advantage of 4000/4300K, the light is very similar to what halogens give so you have a better chance of not being caught by the cops.

Xenons is a term normally used for higher intensity Halogens which are filled with Xenon as the major gas. For the same wattage they may be about 15-30% brighter. As for buying be careful,t here is a lot of sub-standard Chinese stuff around. Make sure you get good genuine AC ballasts (preferably 50W - too many substandard and DC units are around), and bulbs from major manufacturer like the ones you have listed. Watch out most of the ballasts sold are fakes.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 14:39   #6089
BHPian

There is a lot of advise against installing HID lamps on standard headlight, apparently because it blinds oncoming traffic. Can someone explain me why? Doesn't high / low beam exist in HIDs? For example in their webiste the Xenos HID light bulb is mentioned as "hi/low type".

I have been blinded many times, on a daily basis. I have always presumed that's because the other party is on high beam.
Old 16th April 2012, 16:01   #6090
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
There is a lot of advise against installing HID lamps on standard headlight, apparently because it blinds oncoming traffic. Can someone explain me why? Doesn't high / low beam exist in HIDs? For example in their webiste the Xenos HID light bulb is mentioned as "hi/low type".

I have been blinded many times, on a daily basis. I have always presumed that's because the other party is on high beam.
HI/LOW refers to a single bulb that house both high and low beams. For example, cars that come with single bulb headlights like Swift.
In normal reflectors, HID's beams cannot be aligned/thrown properly. Projectors are used to align the focal point of the beam.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks