Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2022, 10:04   #3391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Finally, bit the Bullet and joined the bandwagon.
My Canyon Red Interceptor 22' make.

Got the sump guard,leg guard, fly screen and premium touring seat fixed from the showroom. Next in line is the back rest and rear foot rest grill for the mufflers.
Bike was delivered home and I rode it just couple of kms since as I am recovering from Covid.

This is my second new bike purchase, the first being my 2002 Bullet Electra which will remain with me for short city rides.

My daughter, as excited as me and sharing the garage is with member SandeepMohan's 72' FIAT 1100D and my 20 year Bullet Electra in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-22b27b84e245494199d38b5b782e1e7e.jpeg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-28311e4aac5645a9b78df6e05eaead4c.jpeg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-0d2622b9df86414e8817f77933b0e888.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 11th February 2022 at 10:25.
tharian is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 12:31   #3392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

Got the sump guard,leg guard, fly screen and premium touring seat fixed from the showroom. Next in line is the back rest and rear foot rest grill for the mufflers.
Bike was delivered home and I rode it just couple of kms since as I am recovering from Covid.

This is my second new bike purchase, the first being my 2002 Bullet Electra which will remain with me for short city rides.

My daughter, as excited as me and sharing the garage is with member SandeepMohan's 72' FIAT 1100D and my 20 year Bullet Electra in the background.
Congratulations and wish you safe and happy travels on the red beauty !

Loved your daughter's expression. Nothing is ever as delightful as the joy on the face of a kid on a motorbike
KayEss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 12:36   #3393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
  • Makes sense to look at the 2020 as its cheaper.
  • I'd start by checking there are no insurance or warranty claims. With such low running, I doubt it but no harm done in checking.
  • Check that the RC has the sellers name on it
  • Have they been serviced, at all? Both bikes should have first service records. Factor this as a cost as you definitely want to replace the oil and filter on both.
  • I am pretty sure the battery will be flat on both these motorcycles. Even if they've been charged and the bikes start, you need to prepare for replacing them immediately. That sort of mileage is too low for the battery to have gained any charge at all.
  • Look for Corrosion. An idle bike will have some for sure. The Interceptor can catch corrosion easily if the bike has been exposed to high moisture levels or if the bike has not been wiped down. Surface corrosion can be ignored. A clean up with some WD40 or a polish job can correct this.
  • Tires. You'll definitely need to replace them on the 2019 model. Again, can be ascertained only after you see the bike.
  • There is slight whining noise on my bike too. This is not a fault. Then again, need to hear it to know if the whine is what the motor usually makes or if its something else. Take the bike to a RE garage and ask them if that is normal.
  • The flood affected bit is a question for the owner and needs to work on trust. I don't think anyone of us can answer that question. The owner can change the oil, replace the air filter, wash the bike and that's going to give it a clean slip. At the most, pop the seat and check. If there are deposits of mud or muck, you can be sure the bike has been under water.
  • Check free play of clutch and throttle. This is minor. If its bad, cables can be replaced.
  • You're likely to find the exhaust a bit more audible on the 2019 model, before BS6 norms kicked in.
  • Check all electricals work.
  • Test ride the bike.

To end, both these motorcycles have low mileage on them. There isn't much more one can check.
Good luck.
Hi Sandeep, Thank you for your valuable points, will be very handy while checking out the bike.

Yes 2020 bike makes more sense, personally i am not big fan of silver color on Interceptor, but let's see.

I checked for the service records on the call and both said they have the same. Will ask check for the same.

Chrome bike has a new battery fitted just a month back.

I am a bit worried about the flooding as last year there was a lots of rain and flood across chennai.

Is there any more changes in BS6 and BS4 bikes, apart from the exhaust ? does the 2021 version has any upgrades ?

I want to take it to the RE service center and check but need to see if the owners are ok with it and ready to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
You location shows you hail from Chennai, if so, avoid Chrome at all costs
Flood affected or not can be easily checked through service history unless someone is really really clever enough to hide it, which also is a very rare breed.

Another reliable option is to visit RE ASC & inquire if they know any Inty that's up for sale as well

Is it the whistling noise you mean when deceleration? That whistling/whining sound is more predominant only during riding than idling. If so, this is quite normal. If you don't like this, then you should stay off from Interceptor. I bought Interceptor as it sounded more like cousin of Triumph Striple.
Thanks Aargee, will check in the RE ASC as well.

No its not the whistling noise, its a whine. Similar to what you get in cars while reversing because reverse gear has straight cut teeth while other gears are helical.

Quote:
Congrats on the new bike, wish you many happy miles on it .

Last edited by Rahulkool : 11th February 2022 at 12:37.
Rahulkool is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 19:14   #3394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post

Is there any more changes in BS6 and BS4 bikes, apart from the exhaust ? does the 2021 version has any upgrades ?

I want to take it to the RE service center and check but need to see if the owners are ok with it and ready to do.

No its not the whistling noise, its a whine. Similar to what you get in cars while reversing because reverse gear has straight cut teeth while other gears are helical.
Clear headlight cover is another change from BS4 - BS6

I suggest you go to the service center yourself and check the service history. I did so when I got my bike and the service center was pretty helpful in showing me the history.
I only checked for work done other than that what is recommended in the maintenance manual; this checked out perfectly with what the first owner told me so I was ok with it.

Now that you mention the whine, I feel it in my bike too. It is noticeable when I return into my parking at the end of a ride. Its similar to a radiator fan going on. I have no clue where the sound is from - would be great to hear from the others on the forum.

Quote:
Many congratulations, bike looks smashing.
Wish you many happy miles on it.
jomson13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 21:18   #3395
BHPian

Quote:
  • I am pretty sure the battery will be flat on both these motorcycles. Even if they've been charged and the bikes start, you need to prepare for replacing them immediately. That sort of mileage is too low for the battery to have gained any charge at all.
How does that work? I understood batteries are fitted almost fully charged and will be fully charged after say 15 minutes with the engine running
Old 12th February 2022, 10:04   #3396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
How does that work? I understood batteries are fitted almost fully charged and will be fully charged after say 15 minutes with the engine running
Not sure I follow your question.

We're talking about two used bikes that have hardly seen any running.

If both those motorcycles have batteries on them and have been sitting in the garage, they are likely to gradually discharge and go flat. You can try and revive them. Depending on age and condition of the battery, it may hold up. A motorcycle electrical system is not capable of charging up a flat battery to full in 15 minutes. It takes an external charger almost 12 hours to revive a flat battery! An idle battery may revive but its unlikely to hold its charge for sustained periods. You get lucky with some and they may last 3 to 6 months. In this case, the only way to start the motorcycle is via a push start. If there was a kick, you could take a gamble with a flat battery. TCI ignition bikes needs a minimum voltage atleast to get a spark to those plugs, however, if the starter cannot turn the engine over, you're stuck.

One of the bikes appears to have a new battery so the FM can rule out that as a potential issue.
Old 12th February 2022, 19:19   #3397
BHPian

Quote:
I understood batteries are fitted almost fully charged and will be fully charged after say 15 minutes with the engine running
Its a misconception that all it takes to keep a battery 'alive' is a few minutes of idling or a few kilometers of occassional riding. It doesn't work that way! The charging process within the battery keeps on going even after switching the ignition off. Someone well versed in Chemistry can explain that better, I guess.
Quote:
In this case, the only way to start the motorcycle is via a push start.
These things are really hard to push start. One would need a long and steep decline or some muscly and athletic friends to get the thing reach the required speed. Low mileage riders must invest in a trickle charger unless they want to go through such a harrowing experience.

Last edited by corvus corax : 12th February 2022 at 19:21.
Old 12th February 2022, 23:18   #3398
naj
BHPian

False Neutral:

Hello ,
I had my first service completed on the GT 650 and the bike is smoother and crisp.
However one issue that is now irritating , is false neutral . My experience is 6 times out of 10 , the bike struggles to slot neutral. The gears keep on oscillating between 1st and 2nd and skips neutral most of the times . Please guide if same is normal or I need to see the service station to resolve this . Before the service it was not as much.

Thanks - NAJ .
naj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 09:40   #3399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hello ,

Thanks for the info on the lowering kit . I ordered same from Way2Speed and have installed it from a local shock-up shop. He had to heat up the original fixture to remove it and unscrew it.
Good to see another fellow rider installing the lowering kit. I also got the lowering kit done based on Torino's feedback ( I am 5'5). Its been almost 6 months, and the confidence the reduced height inspires is out of this world.

Here are the mods/ accessories I got installed in my Ravishing Red.

1. Handlebar risers from Indimotard. At first I had the carbon racing ones, then got the AOM handlebar installed (Wasnt satisfied with it as the handlebar was not close enough to me). Then switched to stock handlebar with the Indimotard ones. It took 2-3 tries but I am loving it ever since. PS: Anyone looking for a AOM handlebar, please let me know

2. Lowering kit from Way2Speed : This I feel is one of the best things that I have got done on my bike.

3. Seat : From Rao seats. I was almost going for Sahara seats, but I wanted to have a look & feel before buying, so went with Rao seats, Bangalore. Before the lowering kit happened, this was the best thing I changed.

4. Sump guard, radiator guard (I dont know why I changed this ) , Back rest, crash guard all from Zana.

5. Front foot peg shifter from Way2Speed & Pillion foot peg shifter from MKDesigns [In progress]

6. Way2Speed Tubeless kit : I just received this & the front foot peg shifter from Melwin. This is priority for me as I had a horrible horrible experience with puncture. Ever since that incident, my mind almost keeps an eye out for nails on the road ( I know its stupid, but the puncture experience was too much)

One general question. When riding with saddle bags, during stops, do you actually remove the bag & take it inside restaurants etc.., I found it too cumbersome & painful to place it & remove it everytime I have to stop. I know & always look for places where there is direct view of the bike from where we are seated. But we can't find such places all the time right? One time I just left it like that coz I was too tired on the way back, thankfully nothing happened.

This leads me to think of the option of going for panniers. I liked ones from GVK ( though they are only 22 litres each, I can manage with my tank bag).

PS: After all this updates, I shudder to think how I am going to sell this after many years for my next upgrade. [I am upgrading from a CBR250R]

Very sorry for the long post. I started with the first statement & the rest simply flowed.
Marias is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 14:32   #3400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marias View Post
One general question. When riding with saddle bags, during stops...cumbersome & painful to place it & remove it everytime I have to stop
Yes it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marias View Post
But we can't find such places all the time right?
Not really - ask and thou shalt receive In a real world, I mean in reality, there're no real murders, accidents, rape, theft & all sorts of negative things & they all can be avoided right where it starts - Brain!! Change the thoughts, change the outcome. Just be a bit careful & soon you'll feel safe.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 19:26   #3401
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure I follow your question.
Thanks. My question was based on "That sort of mileage is too low for the battery to have gained any charge at all" because I did not understand the implied relationship between mileage and battery charge
Old 13th February 2022, 22:33   #3402
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is

Not really - ask and thou shalt receive In a real world, I mean in reality, there're no real murders, accidents, rape, theft & all sorts of negative things & they all can be avoided right where it starts - Brain!! Change the thoughts, change the outcome. Just be a bit careful & soon you'll feel safe.
Agreed on both counts.

I never keep any valuables in my claw and have already made my peace that someday I might come back to the moto to find it slashed or opened up and a few things missions. However that hasn't happened to me yet.

Second, i think it's not at all difficult to find places that offer you direct line of sight of your bike. 2 caveats though:
1) ideally one should plan early and start keeping an eye out if one has a particular choice in the matter of choosing a halt. It might take anywhere from 10-40 minutes to find that fits the bill (there are other factors too like how busy it looks, what cuisine, hygiene, etc)
2) One has much greater flexibility, naturally, when one is travelling alone. With a group, the others may not be aware, mindful or even considerate of one's peculiar constraints, especially if they, like me, have long ceased to get antsy about leaving luggage out of sight. In such case one may start doing step (1) even earlier
Old 13th February 2022, 23:06   #3403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayEss View Post
Agreed on both counts.

I never keep any valuables in my claw and have already made my peace that someday I might come back to the moto to find it slashed or opened up and a few things missions. However that hasn't happened to me yet.

Second, i think it's not at all difficult to find places that offer you direct line of sight of your bike. 2 caveats though:
1) ideally one should plan early and start keeping an eye out if one has a particular choice in the matter of choosing a halt. It might take anywhere from 10-40 minutes to find that fits the bill (there are other factors too like how busy it looks, what cuisine, hygiene, etc)
2) One has much greater flexibility, naturally, when one is travelling alone. With a group, the others may not be aware, mindful or even considerate of one's peculiar constraints, especially if they, like me, have long ceased to get antsy about leaving luggage out of sight. In such case one may start doing step (1) even earlier
Motorcycle or cycle touring, the bike is always in clear line of sight. Which means places where you can either sit outside, or on a porch with the bike parked clearly in front of you. People may not have malafide intentions. But people are generally clueless, borderline stupid, and in our culture very freely touchy feely with what is not theirs. When younger I would often start touching and feeling them up in return just so that they get a feel (pun intended). The adults, who should have known better. The kids usually you warn them off.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 23:28   #3404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Motorcycle or cycle touring, the bike is always in clear line of sight. Which means places where you can either sit outside, or on a porch with the bike parked clearly in front of you. People may not have malafide intentions. But people are generally clueless, borderline stupid, and in our culture very freely touchy feely with what is not theirs. When younger I would often start touching and feeling them up in return just so that they get a feel (pun intended). The adults, who should have known better. The kids usually you warn them off.

Cheers, Doc
True Sir. However in the long and terrible summer of the north Indian plains, leaving the bike to the mercy of the world when offered the air-conditioned delights of the family area at the back is often a no brainer
Old 14th February 2022, 07:29   #3405
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is

Not really - ask and thou shalt receive Just be a bit careful & soon you'll feel safe.
Agreed Aargee sir, maybe I should put more miles & plan trips carefully before looking at panniers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayEss View Post
Agreed on both counts.
Yeah should go with better planning. Also have to realize that people dont exactly carry knives & linger around in parking lots to slice open luggage bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Motorcycle or cycle touring, the bike is always in clear line of sight.

Cheers, Doc
While on my way back from a trip [I was solo], I was an hour away from my hotel in Tirupati and was famished. I thought I could make it but suddenly felt hunger pangs. Luckily found one restaurant, which had a clear LoS to the parking, albeit car parking. Bike parking was somewhere inside. It wasn't rush hour (around 4pm) & there was good space there for my bike. I told the security guard calmly about my luggage & the valuables inside. But he was adamant & asked to park in the bike parking area. I was frustrated, more so because he refused to see reason in my situation. But I just didn't have any energy to argue. I just left the place, stopped at a roadside stall to have a cup of tea & went to my hotel to have a delicious biryani On hindsight, I don't really blame the security guard. He was just doing his job, maybe he had a bad day, maybe he was reprimanded by his superiors for exactly the same thing in the past. Anyways, those are the times I think I should have had panniers, he he, or should have planned better. Though I think when riding solo, you have the luxury of stopping when & where you want, so, much of it is adhoc.
Marias is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks