Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2022, 11:25   #3346
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
That leads me to the conclusion that this is a design issue and not a material or manufacturing one. If the latter, the breaks would not necessarily be in the same location. It would be too much of a coincidence.
Not sure I understand you here? I'm expecting that with all chassis design, there would be areas that are more stressed than others. And the material choices would be based on that.

If there was a materials issue or manufacturing issue with a specific batch, then it seems logical to me that they would break at the same stress points?

(granted I am not a materials/mechanical engg expert, might be wrong)
Old 22nd January 2022, 19:01   #3347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Its exactly the same
Then, why you're short filling the air pressure in the tires? Any specific reason for shortfiling that I can benefit from on Interceptor pls?

Quote:
I avoid brimming the bike to avoid a spill
Spill never, never happens; I've been filling to brim for quite sometime now (atleast 6-7 times now). If this is not applicable in your case, pls ignore.

Quote:
Trust me, you don't want to run out of gas, especially if you are out riding solo. I'd say, fill her up at 250km
Ok, no issues; watch out for my next thread from my recent trip, bike had to be refuled every 32x+ Km every time & it gobbled anywhere from 11-12 liters returning 26.x Kmpl
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 20:00   #3348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Spill never, never happens; I've been filling to brim for quite sometime now (atleast 6-7 times now). If this is not applicable in your case, pls ignore.

Ok, no issues; watch out for my next thread from my recent trip, bike had to be refuled every 32x+ Km every time & it gobbled anywhere from 11-12 liters returning 26.x Kmpl
It's advised in the Owner's Manual not to fill till the brim. It's due to the EVAP system.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-fuel_level.jpg

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 21:00   #3349
BHPian

Quote:
It's advised in the Owner's Manual not to fill till the brim. It's due to the EVAP system.
Yes. This is important. The bike would die after running for a couple of minutes only to start again after opening and shutting the fuel cap.
Old 22nd January 2022, 21:23   #3350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
It's advised in the Owner's Manual not to fill till the brim. It's due to the EVAP system
Very glad you bought this point which I wasn't aware. Thankfully, by brim what I meant was until here (red marking). Didn't realize it was over the neck. Looks like I'm technically safe then!

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220122_212238.jpg
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 21:29   #3351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingpossum View Post
Not sure I understand you here? I'm expecting that with all chassis design, there would be areas that are more stressed than others. And the material choices would be based on that.

If there was a materials issue or manufacturing issue with a specific batch, then it seems logical to me that they would break at the same stress points?

(granted I am not a materials/mechanical engg expert, might be wrong)
These are not hydroformed tubes with varying internal gauges. They are simple round tunes. If this was a faulty lot, the number of failures would surely have been a lot higher because the faulty metal would fail at the same stress points eventually in all or nearly all the bikes.

But harmonics as we learned in school physics (don't need to be an engineer to remember that) happens at a very selective set of circumstances. Like the bridge that stood for years but collapsed only when a platoon of soldiers marched across at a certain step rate.

So we have (as yet) 3 documented failures, and not say 500.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd January 2022 at 21:39.
Old 24th January 2022, 03:45   #3352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any specific reason for shortfiling that I can benefit from on Interceptor pls?
Manufacturer recommended specifications are based on their test conditions and likely to promote higher fuel economy. I cannot imagine riding at 32/36 psi solo. The bikes going to pitch a lot and ABS will be working over time, especially in the wet. I am okay to wear some of that tire at a lower pressure and gain some additional grip. This also explains the higher fuel economy (or range) you're able to extract. Pressure values are also a personal thing. What I fill may not work for you and your riding conditions.

This also comes from riding several other motorcycles in my time. The last one being a Enfield 500. The front was never over 25psi. Unfortunately, I don't find this value to work well for my Interceptor.

Quote:
I've been filling to brim for quite sometime now
The difference is you have a pump attendant who can do it for you. I do not have that luxury. Fuel pumps are not manned here. Fuel spills are a big deal and in the case of the Interceptor, all that fuel falls right on the hot engine head and bend pipes. It will likely evaporate more than spark a fire. Still, I'd rather play it safe in a country where I am a foreigner.

Forget a fuel spill. I once lifted the nozzle and while I was moving it towards the bike, a bit of left over fuel in the pipe flowed out. it was enough to cover the front section of the tank entirely in fuel! You learn from experiences like this.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 07:45   #3353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Manufacturer recommended specifications are based on their test conditions and likely to promote higher fuel economy. I cannot imagine riding at 32/36 psi solo. The bikes going to pitch a lot and ABS will be working over time, especially in the wet.
Interesting. Can other riders/owners share their feedback? Honestly while I have tried to stick to 32/36 psi levels, I don't really exactly remember the bike riding conditions at lower psi.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 09:03   #3354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Interesting. Can other riders/owners share their feedback? Honestly while I have tried to stick to 32/36 psi levels, I don't really exactly remember the bike riding conditions at lower psi.
I make a point to overfill the tire pressure by atleast 2-3 PSI more; 33-34 in front & 36-38 in the rear; one main reason being, I don't like to stop during my trip to check the air pressure (in cold) + I've the luxury of filling the air by myself (and occasionally fuel & the payment as well) only at our friendly neighborhood fuel station. I've the same habit with my CBR as well to fill 31 in front & 38 in rear (recommended are 29 & 36 will pillion)

Add 2 more reasons:
1. Out of all the 3123 Km done, I hardly remember some 250-300 odd Km riding solo; rear seat always finds someone from the family seated.
2. Few years ago, 2 known acquaintance attempted a record time drive in Punto from Kanyakumari to Kashmir & their car crashed due to front tire burst enroute, root cause being low tire inflation

Result? I'm little skeptical with Interceptor & not much with CBR due to it's innate tube tire versus tubeless. How safe is the overfill? Only time will tell.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 12:05   #3355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Interesting. Can other riders/owners share their feedback?
Been running 33/36 all the time and I like it that way.
In fact I can clearly feel the steering turning heavy and weird feel during cornering if the pressure drops by 3-4psi. I'm guessing this could be more due to tubed tyres. This wasn't in the case in my previous Benelli TNT300.
Also I think especially in tubed tyres, right /higher pressure helps avoid punctures ( smaller contact patch, lesser flexing maybe)
iamgyan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 19:15   #3356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgyan View Post
I can clearly feel the steering turning heavy and weird feel during cornering if the pressure drops by 3-4psi.
Me too. <extra text to reach the 20 character minimum>
catkins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 21:40   #3357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I noticed the upgraded seat on your nice picture log to Ooty. Do share more details on the comfort for the pillion etc, after the improvement to the OEM seat.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 05:12   #3358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgyan View Post
I'm guessing this could be more due to tubed tyres.
A tube tire does not lose air pressure out of the blue. That happens only if you have a flat, a slow leak from the tube or a valve that's giving up. If your tyre tube is in good health, it should stay at the pressure you last filled for atleast a week to 10 days. A psi or two may drop. That does not hint at a fault or failure of the tube.

Quote:
Also I think especially in tubed tyres, right /higher pressure helps avoid punctures
The right pressure will ensure longevity of the tire and tube.
You need to be careful with higher pressure, especially on wet surfaces and during summer, especially on our wide open expressways. Tire pressure goes up from friction and ambient temperature.

I'll leave this here, which explains a little bit on the impact of hot weather and tires.
Old 26th January 2022, 09:00   #3359
BHPian

Quote:
That does not hint at a fault or failure of the tube.
I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean that there is a fault with the tube or tyre. What I meant was whenever the pressure becomes low ( 4weeks, 6weeks for example) it is much more evident in terms of feel on a tubed tyre rather than a tubeless. The tubed one does seem to hold on to the set pressure longer than tubeless

Quote:
The right pressure will ensure longevity of the tire and tube.
You need to be careful with higher pressure, especially on wet surfaces and during summer, especially on our wide open expressways.
You said it yourself, "the right pressure..", the right pressure (manufacturer recommended i.e.) is also important to maintain traction in wide variety of surfaces that are commonly encountered on the road in regular riding. You are running a pressure much lower than recommended by the manufacturer. A lower pressure (than recommended) on wet road is actually dangerous since it can lead to aquaplaning much more easily than at recommended pressure (easier to aqua plane with a wider contact patch). You also need not worry about tyre overheating during summer as long as you are in the recommended range regardless where you're riding. Rather the heating up of tyre would be higher with lower tyre pressure again since there is a higher amount of tyre deformation happening everytime it comes in contact with road.
iamgyan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 02:32   #3360
BHPian

3rd Free Service on Wheels

Spitfire, my Interceptor 650 is almost 2 years and this time I went for the annual service a bit earlier than the anniversary date. I had no major complains on the bike and so was a bit skeptical to drop it at RE Service Center. They're quite talented to screw a perfectly running bike!

I was following up for Service on Wheels (SOW) this time. First week they said the synthetic engine oil is not in stock due to supply issues and finally got the appointment on 24th Jan, Monday. I only had the following tasks required,
- Oil + oil filter change
- Air filter change
- Chain adjust

SoW made sense in this Covid times and to see the work in your parking. In addition there's no time waste in the service procedure. With WFH, extended lunch break was perfect for this.

Let's begin,
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-1.jpg

LHS cover removed for Air filter, (I cleaned the relays & wiring)
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-2.jpg

Air filter pretty dusty in my eyes. As they didn't have a new one in stock they said it's ok but I've ordered the Motowings air filter from bikenbiker.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-airfilter.jpg

Oil drain,
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-4.jpg

Oil condition in 11 months and around 4k kms,
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-5.jpg

Oil filter changed,
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-6.jpg

Rear brake pads, plenty of life left.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-rearbrakes.jpg

Rear axle greased,
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-8.jpg

Front brakes cleaned, lesser life left than the rear ones!
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-frontbrakes.jpg

Front axle greased,
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-10.jpg

Odo reading,
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-11.jpg

Oil level, near the top mark
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-12.jpg

Mi portable air compressor was used to check air pressure, F32, R36 @sandeepmohan & co.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-miair.jpg

Bike is ready, they cleaned the chain and I used my Plutoline Drytec chain lube (The RE lube flings a lot and is a pain to clean the rims & spokes)
Chain slack was adjusted.
Clutch & throttle cable play was adjusted.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-14.jpg

SoW bike, Classic Trials, comedy was two technicians on single seater!Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-15.jpg

Never noticed that the Trials had the same tail-lights of the 650 twins
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-16.jpg

The technicians were systematic in their approach and were brisk. It took 30 mins from the ASC to generate the bill which was around 3k. I would recommend SoW for its convenience of service in your parking space
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-17.jpg

Some negatives:
- Air filter was not in stock
- Two guys work in tandem, sometimes difficult to keep an eye on both
- Dry wash (foam sprayer) was not working, I used mine
- They forgot a funnel, they used mine
- Didn't check the spark plugs
- Bill generation and system updates are slow as usual

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (26) Thanks

Most Viewed