Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2022, 19:34   #3496

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

I've been reading team bhp posts since '10 and finally decided to take the plunge and signup. And I can't believe that my first post is actually a weird problem.
I've got a July '20 interceptor, with a little over 10k kms on the clock. The rear wheel started locking up under heavy braking since yesterday, and there is no ABS malfunction indicator on the instrument cluster. I do suspect the Brake fluid is contaminated, but the brakes don't feel mushy. Is it the brake fluid or has the abs module gone kaput?
Ace_Cafe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 23:01   #3497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Cafe View Post
I've been reading team bhp posts since '10 and finally decided to take the plunge and signup. And I can't believe that my first post is actually a weird problem.
I've got a July '20 interceptor, with a little over 10k kms on the clock. The rear wheel started locking up under heavy braking since yesterday, and there is no ABS malfunction indicator on the instrument cluster. I do suspect the Brake fluid is contaminated, but the brakes don't feel mushy. Is it the brake fluid or has the abs module gone kaput?
First of all, welcome to Team-BHP! We're glad you decided to take the plunge from being a lurker to a contributor.

Brake fluid contamination is going to result in reduced brake pressure; since you mentioned that your brakes don't feel mushy, I don't think this is the case. ABS pump issue seems to be more likely. Try braking the rear wheel in a straight line in a parking lot or some smooth surface and see if you can feel pulsing at the levers. Try the front one as well if you're an experienced rider and have the confidence.
thebengalee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 04:55   #3498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it the brake fluid or has the abs module gone kaput?
Likely the latter but that would trigger a warning if it did have a fault. The wheel speed sensor needs to be checked. You can do a visual inspection yourself. Do you feel the rear brake pedal pulsing? If it is, it is working as intended.

Does the ABS lamp light up at all? It should light up and stay lit till around the 5 or 10kmph mark. This is a sign of a functioning system.

Ask the previous owner if any faults were reported for braking or ABS system.

Under full braking application, the system pulses and will lock the wheel intermittently. You won't skid or fall. It does this brake-release-brake in quick succession.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 13th April 2022 at 05:02.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 11:26   #3499

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebengalee View Post
Try braking the rear wheel in a straight line in a parking lot or some smooth surface and see if you can feel pulsing at the levers. Try the front one as well if you're an experienced rider and have the confidence.
I've tried that already, the rear wheel locks up and the pulsing at rear lever is very weak. The front isn't locking up.

Then again the constant rains of Assam and the river crossing of Arunachal aren't very kind to the already wonky electricals.

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th April 2022 at 11:28. Reason: Quote tags fixed
Old 13th April 2022, 11:49   #3500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Likely the latter but that would trigger a warning if it did have a fault. The wheel speed sensor needs to be checked. You can do a visual inspection yourself. Do you feel the rear brake pedal pulsing? If it is, it is working as intended.

Does the ABS lamp light up at all? It should light up and stay lit till around the 5 or 10kmph mark. This is a sign of a functioning system.

Ask the previous owner if any faults were reported for braking or ABS system.

Under full braking application, the system pulses and will lock the wheel intermittently. You won't skid or fall. It does this brake-release-brake in quick succession.
I'm the original owner, and the lamps are behaving normally, and goes off after the 10kmph mark. The rear locks up and skids while the front seems fine. So it's behaving like a single channel system.

The pulse at the rear is very weak, and the rear skids in the wet.
Old 14th April 2022, 03:19   #3501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've got a July '20 interceptor, with a little over 10k kms on the clock.
Apologies. When I read this bit, for a moment, it sounded like you had picked up a used motorcycle.

You'll need to take the bike in for an inspection.
Old 14th April 2022, 12:12   #3502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I think in Nov/Dec last year, I came across a video in YT where an owner shared his experience of relay getting failed multiple times which started off saying how his bike switches off erratically for no reason. When he attempted to show the issue at ASC the twins behaved nice & later on it would show up. I think he got affected by faulty relays twice & finally concluded with a happy ending.

I suspect the same in your case as well, but pls keep this at back of your mind while I try to fish out the video for you pls.
Again my Int hit with the same issues today. Took her straight to the SVC nearby (Apollon on NH6) to get it checked red handed
Finally it did behave abnormally infront of the mechanics. They checked current flow across relays & RR unit. Checked all the fuse. Finally rechecked the RR unit and confirmed the RR unit has gone kaput. The battery is not charging at all. They say replacing the RR unit will solve the issue, I am not sure though. In any case, they are out of stock for RR unit told me check back in 15-20 days or see at other dealerships.
They advised me to park the bike as soon as possible and not ride for long distances, the bike may stall mid way and I wouldn't be able to start it up since there would be no charge left with the battery.
I am planning to have an uneventful ride back home today, then I will check with my nearest workshop, else wait for Apollon to get stock.
Old 17th April 2022, 10:04   #3503
BHPian

Has anyone tried the 17" tubeless spoked rims from Dismotech on their Interceptor 650 ? I asked over Instagram the other day and was quoted Rs. 36k for a pair. Any real world feedback on the product is appreciated.
ashenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 03:25   #3504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenoy View Post
Has anyone tried the 17" tubeless spoked rims from Dismotech on their Interceptor 650 ? I asked over Instagram the other day and was quoted Rs. 36k for a pair. Any real world feedback on the product is appreciated.
This is one reason why I have been holding myself behind, from buying the INT 650 or CGT 650.

Love the retro vibe, but can't live with punctures today. What a waste of time, money & effort (to push the bike, if need be).

I wonder what is taking so long, for RE to launch these two motorcycles with alloy wheels, or just add this to the MIY accessories list.
This year they have so much on their plate, all the new launches, I doubt there would be any focus on these TWINS.

Last edited by parrys : 18th April 2022 at 03:26.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 09:23   #3505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Love the retro vibe, but can't live with punctures today. What a waste of time, money & effort (to push the bike, if need be)
Well not really; we always have an option to engage the motorcycle in 1st gear & let the Torque do it's thing no matter road condition. Incidentally I had to do this last Friday.

However, pushing the motorcycle with punctured wheel is not the real nightmare, but, fixing the puncture itself is a trip to the door of hell!!
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 12:50   #3506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
I wonder what is taking so long, for RE to launch these two motorcycles with alloy wheels, or just add this to the MIY accessories list.
Even if they launch alloys, those will be 18 inches (likely) and that will mean you will have no tyre option in the market except the terrible Pirellis or the Timsuns since there arent many tubeless 18 inch tyres available. RE may as well just produce 17-inch front alloys and sell it along with Meteor's rear which I have heard is a direct fit. Win win for everyone.
shabih is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 13:38   #3507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Installed the autobahn LED on my int today.

The matter was pretty straightforward, only made complicated by my carbon racing windshield:

Hey Ashish,
How is the performance of the LED as compared to stock light ?

I have also got mine modified to a large extent like Seat, Foot Pegs, 19 & 17 inches wheels, Rear Tail lights, etc. However, front lamp is what I am still unsatisfied with ?
Though, it is not bad but yea, a better option is still welcome.

Besides this, do we have any option of Warm White Light as well ?

Also looking forward for a good digital speedometer which I can replace the twin meters with ?
Old 19th April 2022, 10:34   #3508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
Hey Ashish,
How is the performance of the LED as compared to stock light ?

I have also got mine modified to a large extent like Seat, Foot Pegs, 19 & 17 inches wheels, Rear Tail lights, etc. However, front lamp is what I am still unsatisfied with ?
Though, it is not bad but yea, a better option is still welcome.

Besides this, do we have any option of Warm White Light as well ?

Also looking forward for a good digital speedometer which I can replace the twin meters with ?
I will report back on the headlight once I've had enough of a feel of it. Didn't get much of a chance in the past few days.

White light by nature can't be warm. The "warmth" itself refers to the degree of yellowish-orange tint the lamp has. So if you want a warm light then you need to get a normal halogen. LEDs will throw only cool white light.
Old 19th April 2022, 15:36   #3509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Installed the autobahn LED on my int today.
]

I'm looking to buy one from them as well this week and get it installed here in Coimbatore on my GT. Fingers crossed!!! Is this the model you got?

AUTOBAHN LED L5 GXP-3 90W
Old 19th April 2022, 16:23   #3510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortalmechano View Post
Is this the model you got?
He got this one
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks