Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2022, 17:00   #3421
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Hello everyone. Need advice on a Ventura Blue GT.

2019 Dec purchased, 2nd owner, 10k kms.
Spoke with the owner, he seemed like a genuine person. Bike has been religiously maintained. But the owner told me he had used it for track days. The bike has an aftermarket AEW exhaust. Asking 2.65.

I will go to see the bike on Saturday i.e, 26th of February.

Early replies will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Saikishor
Quoted price seems to be on the higher side - any other mods done by the previous owner?

when you say 2nd owner you mean that the bike has already changed hands and you will be the 3rd owner right? If yes, this should further drop the price down.

I would check the tyres and brakes (especially the front ones) for a track day bike.

You should find a lot of options for a lot lesser - please look at more options. To put things into perspective, I got mine at 2.4, August 2020 registered bike having done 16.5k kms with a moto wings exhaust
jomson13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 18:22   #3422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Ditto here - can say your first few paragraphs are talking about my 3 year old ~15k kms done INT650
Haha! Yes, the bike has been easy on the pocket to maintain too. The battery is still holding up pretty well.

95% of the work has been done at my place, had a couple of bad experiences with the Yelahnaka and BTM RE service, post this I have not let anyone else touch the bike even when it came to the tappet adjustments.
A friend from the group helps me source any RE part I need. (He takes a bit of time but parts can be arranged)
The problem with these A$$ is that they think of themselves as "Gods gift to us"
I keep getting calls about service reminders for my bike, they tell me that the bike needs a service every 6 months! But the owner's manual clearly says once a year Anyway, my bike is out of warranty as of Feb 1st, 2022.
(2019 bikes had a 1-year service interval which was later changed to 6 months)

I have a local guy next to my place who helps me that's all. If you own a RE then you should invest in a good set of tools and start getting your hands dirty. It's fun and a good time pass and the work we do can be much much better than what the so-called trained mechs do.
The guy who helps me is close by if you do want to consult with him let me know and I can put in a word for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post

My bike also has the wobble issue.

Thoughts?
I doubt that tires can cause so many issues, The tires on my twin has done 15,000 KM still doing strong, should do another 5k KM easily. I plan to get the ceats as the next set.
The bike's annual service is coming up, this time will post a step-by-step DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post

Mine GT is Dec 2018 one, got the fuel cap replaced 3 times and am not sure the seal problem is solved yet!

-Pramod
Just change the bearings and be done with it, the more these guys fiddle with your bike the more they mess it up.

The time, effort, and energy you spend on every visit to the A$$ aren't worth the bearings. Replacing them will work out as an easier option in the long run.

For the fuel cap rubber, I apply a bit of Silicon grease, this helps preserve the rubber. Yes 3 years no placements.

Speedometer fogging up does happen very often but for now I have learned to live with it. I plan to fix this soon DIY method.

Link to the product which I use - Silicon grease
(I'M NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE SELLER OR THE PRODUCT IN ANY WAY)

https://www.amazon.in/TetraClean-Die...6-311a570a4be5
Captain Slow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 18:28   #3423
BHPian

Quote:
Quoted price seems to be on the higher side - any other mods done by the previous owner?

when you say 2nd owner you mean that the bike has already changed hands and you will be the 3rd owner right? If yes, this should further drop the price down.

I would check the tyres and brakes (especially the front ones) for a track day bike.

You should find a lot of options for a lot lesser - please look at more options. To put things into perspective, I got mine at 2.4, August 2020 registered bike having done 16.5k kms with a moto wings exhaust

According to the ad posted by the owner, brake pads were changed last week. Front tyre is new and rear has a lot of life left in it. Tyres installed are Pirelli Angel GT.

I am worried about the problems that might arise due to this bike being a track day bike. What else should I check? And, how do I approach a service center for a checkup? Do I just walk in with the bike and ask them to do a checkup of it?

And yes regarding ownership, I am thinking of negotiating it to 2.25-2.3. Will start at 2.2 and then see till where it will go, depending on the condition of the bike.

The bike has challans worth 3k, so I also have to get them cleared.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st February 2022 at 19:48. Reason: typo corrected
saikishor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 19:33   #3424
BHPian

Quote:
I think sooty black is expected with normal running
Mine have almost no soot. I presume that is normal because the ECU is programmed to meet emissions requirements including running on the lean side for complete combustion.

That presumption gained credibility when a high performance ECU was fitted. Then the exhausts showed sooty black deposits. A high performance ECU works by running on the rich side to maximise torque and power.

Later that presumption gained more credibility when I felt guilty about causing more pollution so reverted to the standard ECU and the exhaust sooty black deposits disappeared.
Quote:
Could it be that due to the excessively soft stock front end the coneset bearing takes quite a beating and hence develops play quite early?
Unlikely because as shown by the photo in Captain Slow's post https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5261607 (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin), the bearings have taper rollers and taper roller bearings are rated for much higher loads than cones. Also, if the wobble was caused by bearing wear it should manifest more as the distance travelled increases.

Very interesting to learn that changing the bearings fixed wobble for at least Captain Slow's bike. Assuming that bearing wear is unlikely, could it be that the bearings are not well fitted in their housings?
catkins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 02:48   #3425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No deposits on the exhaust as of now, will keep a look out.
You're all good then. Get an oil change done and observe.

If the engine is in good health and the cat con is doing its job, there should be no soot at all. I've not clocked as many miles as you. The exhaust tip on my Interceptor has no soot.

If the exhaust tip is wet with oil, that is a sign of oil making its way past the piston rings and entering the exhaust. This is a serious problem and will require a partial or full engine rebuild.

A couple of small (or large) differences in riding conditions. Most of the mileage I've clocked in the last 15 months are on the highway and in temperatures rarely exceeding 20 degrees. This does make a difference when it comes to how long oil can last or hold its viscosity.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 09:22   #3426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
According to the ad posted by the owner, brake pads were changed last week. Front tyre is new and rear has a lot of life left in it. Tyres installed are Pirelli Angel GT.

I am worried about the problems that might arise due to this bike being a track day bike. What else should I check?
saikishor, I dont recall Pirelli Angel GT tires being available in the 18 inch size for India. That is something to check when you inspect the bike. Or the other option is that it is converted to 17 inch wheels that are shod with Angel GT tires.

Dont worry about it being a track used bike. Look for any visible damage on the chassis etc that indicates whether the bike has had a fall. If there isnt any, then I wouldnt disqualify this bike.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 11:34   #3427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
saikishor, I dont recall Pirelli Angel GT tires being available in the 18 inch size for India. That is something to check when you inspect the bike. Or the other option is that it is converted to 17 inch wheels that are shod with Angel GT tires.

Dont worry about it being a track used bike. Look for any visible damage on the chassis etc that indicates whether the bike has had a fall. If there isnt any, then I wouldnt disqualify this bike.
Sir, thanks for your reply. I would like to know how should I approach a showroom for inspecting the bike. I will go to see the bike on saturday, so if everything goes well I might seal the deal.

Should I just walk into the service center with the bike and ask for an inspection? I have no idea about how to proceed, as this is the first time I'm trying my luck with used bikes.

Last edited by saikishor : 22nd February 2022 at 11:37.
Old 22nd February 2022, 12:17   #3428
Senior - BHPian

Got the Inty 650 home yesterday night. Rode around 20kms yesterday. Getting used to the bike, coming from a KTM it does feel heavy . But ya it feels much nicer to ride compared to the TD bike i had tried sometime back, that bike had some issue in the handle bar bearing or something.

Its a Oct 2019 model with 2430kms on the odo.

There are rust marks on all plastic parts. Need to clean those and also do a complete detailing work. It has some barrel atom exhaust, its too loud and annoying. Will switch to stock pipes soon.

Name:  WhatsApp Image 20220221 at 11.38.51 PM.jpeg
Views: 780
Size:  93.0 KB
Rahulkool is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 15:35   #3429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I have a local guy next to my place who helps me that's all. If you own a RE then you should invest in a good set of tools and start getting your hands dirty. It's fun and a good time pass and the work we do can be much much better than what the so-called trained mechs do.
The guy who helps me is close by if you do want to consult with him let me know and I can put in a word for you.
I have all the tools I need. But I prefer to spend my time tinkering around on more important (for me) aspects - wrt work and personal areas. My go-to approach on all my vehicles is to get a good guy (authorized centers or FNGs) and leverage them to the max possible.

Can you drop me a note (/PM) on the guy's contacts? It would be good to have an option just in case. Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd February 2022, 17:14   #3430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post

Its a Oct 2019 model with 2430kms on the odo.

Attachment 2276026
Congratulations on the Interceptor. The seat has grabbed my attention, can you post some more pics with a clear view of the seat if possible?
Old 22nd February 2022, 17:46   #3431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Congratulations on the Interceptor. The seat has grabbed my attention, can you post some more pics with a clear view of the seat if possible?
Thank you. The owner told me that he had reduced the height of the seat by taking out some of the foam from the top and added that to the sides. I will share the images.
Old 22nd February 2022, 18:27   #3432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. The owner told me that he had reduced the height of the seat by taking out some of the foam from the top and added that to the sides
Why would he do that? Pls do not ride with a pillion unless you're avenging someone. Pillion would be seated worst than squatting position!!

This is the closest thing that I can imagine the situation of pillion even with stock Interceptor seats!!
Name:  1_ht0atnE8TnoSVP0KAaLwA.jpeg.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  119.6 KB

Last edited by aargee : 22nd February 2022 at 18:51.
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 18:32   #3433
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, thanks for your reply. I would like to know how should I approach a showroom for inspecting the bike. I will go to see the bike on saturday, so if everything goes well I might seal the deal.

Should I just walk into the service center with the bike and ask for an inspection? I have no idea about how to proceed, as this is the first time I'm trying my luck with used bikes.
If you have the bikes registration number you can go to any ASC and they can pull up the service records.
I would do this before I see the bike in person.
Any work other than routine maintenance would need clarification from the owner.

On saturday, if there is a trusted mechanic nearby you can take the bike to him for a quick check up.
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 18:39   #3434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Why would he do that? Pls do not ride with a pillion unless you're avenging someone. Pillion would be seated worst than squatting position!!

This is the closest thing that I can imaging the situation of pillion even with stock Interceptor seats!!
Attachment 2276185
Ya i am looking to change to the stock seat, will check when i visit the service center. Is the stock seat ok or shall i look for something else ? I am not going to ride the bike for more than 100-150kms. But ya pillion comfort would be essential.
Old 22nd February 2022, 18:45   #3435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ya i am looking to change to the stock seat, will check when i visit the service center. Is the stock seat ok or shall i look for something else ? I am not going to ride the bike for more than 100-150kms. But ya pillion comfort would be essential.
Wife complained right after a short ride stating the seats ought to be thrown away. Most folks swear the Touring seats from RE is sufficient; however, RE ASC could not find one for me even after a month.

So I had to venture out on my own (which perspired to Pudupet story in my ownership thread). Best part was, I not only got one tailor made to our requirements + the cost worked 60% cheaper than RE Touring seats or the famous Sahara seats!!

Last edited by aargee : 22nd February 2022 at 18:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks