Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2021, 21:54   #2551
BHPian

Re: Battery or RR Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
I noticed this when the ignition is kept on for sometime before hitting the starter button; if I immediately start after fuel pump noise goes away there is no batt light. I assume headlight is drawing power and coupled with heavy load starting which is leading to low voltage and thereafter charging brings back voltage to normal level.
Thank you but I started the bike immediately after the fuel pump primes and I see this light for a few seconds before it going away. I feel this was not happening before.
Old 25th January 2021, 22:09   #2552
BHPian

Connect multimeter and note voltage drop from switching on ignition, pump priming till starting; other owners can confirm if the voltage drop is within range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram8891 View Post
Thank you but I started the bike immediately after the fuel pump primes and I see this light for a few seconds before it going away. I feel this was not happening before.
Old 26th January 2021, 06:14   #2553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would appreciate the feedback.
Hope this video helps. This is a startup sequence on my bike. There is a delay of a second for the battery light to go out. If the starter motor turns without a struggle and the bike cranks, your battery is good.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 26th January 2021 at 06:17.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 10:26   #2554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Hope this video helps. This is a startup sequence on my bike. There is a delay of a second for the battery light to go out. If the starter motor turns without a struggle and the bike cranks, your battery is good.

https://Youtu.be/0tL8zS1LAxE
Thanks for the post Sandeep. The minimal lag you showed in the video is acceptable. Unfortunately for me the lag is definitely longer. Its around 3 seconds after starting the engine and I am pretty sure since I started noticing it from yesterday it is recent. No issues in cranking yet.

One thing I forgot to add in my post was that the bike was thoroughly washed in the SVC. Not sure if water could be playing a role in tripping the sensor, but I will definitely keep an eye out for this.
Old 27th January 2021, 02:44   #2555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if water could be playing a role in tripping the sensor, but I will definitely keep an eye out for this.
As long as the light isn't staying on and the bike is cranking as it should, you have nothing to worry about.

If water did make its way into the electricals, it will trigger a lot more problems than just a slight delay in a light going out.

Lift the seat and check if there is water standing anywhere.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 08:33   #2556
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the post Sandeep. The minimal lag you showed in the video is acceptable. Unfortunately for me the lag is definitely longer. Its around 3 seconds after starting the engine and I am pretty sure since I started noticing it from yesterday it is recent. No issues in cranking yet.

One thing I forgot to add in my post was that the bike was thoroughly washed in the SVC. Not sure if water could be playing a role in tripping the sensor, but I will definitely keep an eye out for this.
Check to see if your spark plug caps are properly seated. You probably have a bit of water that got in there if the SC used a pressure washer.
adises is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 09:53   #2557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adises View Post
Check to see if your spark plug caps are properly seated. You probably have a bit of water that got in there if the SC used a pressure washer.
But what is the link between spark plugs, and the sensor that informs about the battery's health? I do not see the correlation here to be honest.

Even if there had been water post the wash, would it not have evaporated while riding the bike back home from the service centre?
Old 31st January 2021, 10:19   #2558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
But what is the link between spark plugs, and the sensor that informs about the battery's health? I do not see the correlation here to be honest.

Even if there had been water post the wash, would it not have evaporated while riding the bike back home from the service centre?
Moisture can cause quite a few issues and it doesn't have to be immediately apparent, the water might have dripped / trickled into the wrong places while you moved the bike. I said check the spark plug caps because it would be the first place to check if you have a lag before the engine fires up, especially if the headlight is fine and cranking noise seems ok. The battery light comes on if it detects a low charging rate, which would point to the rectifier...where again water might be the culprit.

Of course, as you pointed out, it's been a few days now and any water should have evaporated in our climate. Next logical step is to check for loose connections. Remove and reseat the spark plug caps, fuses and couplers for the rectifier etc. If it doesn't get resolved then you'll have to go back to the SC.

Last edited by adises : 31st January 2021 at 10:22.
adises is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 11:38   #2559
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Recently faced a neutral indicator issue.
The neutral light would stay on while in 1st gear, then some times not light up even when I shifted to neutral.
Service center guy said it's an issue that RE is aware of, and hence covered in warranty.
Took the opportunity to get knuckle guards installed.
The ones from the Himalayan were perfect. They mount only on one side, has a solid metal spine, and looks good. 2250/-
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_2463.jpg
ashishk29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 18:38   #2560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
As long as the light isn't staying on and the bike is cranking as it should, you have nothing to worry about.

If water did make its way into the electricals, it will trigger a lot more problems than just a slight delay in a light going out.

Lift the seat and check if there is water standing anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adises View Post
Thanks for the advice. I am at 4,800 kms right now and considering my usage, will hit the 5,000 kms mark soon. Shall bring this up in the second service of the bike.
Old 2nd February 2021, 19:08   #2561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Recently faced a neutral indicator issue.
The neutral light would stay on while in 1st gear, then some times not light up even when I shifted to neutral.
Service center guy said it's an issue that RE is aware of, and hence covered in warranty.
Me too only the neutral indicator became a top gear indicator which was useful to avoid up shifts when already in top gear (and I never use neutral so loss of original function was no loss for me). Unfortunately it stopped working altogether. At the second service, RE workshop said they would replace it under warranty and would contact me when it was in stock in about a month. Four months later and they haven't contacted me.
catkins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 23:14   #2562
BHPian

Anyone got these oil filler caps fitted and from where these are sourced? They look too good to get it on the bike.

Source: Internet
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20210205-1.png  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20210205-2.png  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20210205-3.png  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20210205-4.png  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20210205.png  

Last edited by ManneAtWheelz : 5th February 2021 at 23:15.
ManneAtWheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 00:41   #2563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManneAtWheelz View Post
from where these are sourced? They look too good to get it on the bike.
Source: Internet
These oil filler caps are available as an official accessory with RE for Interceptor. There's also one in metallic black colour.

Cheers!
Old 6th February 2021, 03:33   #2564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManneAtWheelz View Post
They look too good to get it on the bike.
Indeed.

Here are the part numbers from the International accessories catalog for the 650 Twins. This are suitable for the Himalayan too.

Oil Filler cap, machined, silver
Part No. 1990236

Oil Filer cap, machined, black
Part No. 1990218

Cost : Rs.775

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 6th February 2021 at 03:34.
Old 6th February 2021, 15:48   #2565
Senior - BHPian

Just noticed an issue while riding on the expressway. It seems the front shock absorber ( left side ) has leaked as the rubber covering I had got is oily while the right hand side is not.

The Bike has not been through a rough pothole or any sudden shocks so any reason why this has happened on a 3000 km ridden almost new gt650

Any suggestions ? Hope it it covered under warranty. Any inputs are welcome from the experts here. Thanks in advance
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks