Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2022, 07:42   #3646
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Whatever that is, it does not sound good..
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
First thing that popped into my mind was...
1. Battery, if you feel changing battery don't help, the next thing to come on my mind is
I started with changing the battery, got a Amaron battery, costed me 2300rs after giving the old battery, turns out it was a battery issue only, no problem now.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220917_162833.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220917_162838.jpg  

yesyeswe is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 11:20   #3647
naj
BHPian

Fitting Twin Calipers/Discs font with USD forks

Hello,
I have recently spoken with a GT mod workshop about possible fitting of twin discs upfront and changing the front shock up set up for a smoother ride.
I have been suggested the following for this fitment-
1)USD forks with dual brake set. The stock ABS will be removed however as per the WShop the braking will significantly improve. Brakes will not lock. I asked them that because the ABS will not be there no more.
The brakes will have 4 pistons.

Please guide if same is worth considering to improve braking and front suspension ride.

Thanks-
Naj
Old 19th September 2022, 14:34   #3648
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fitting Twin Calipers/Discs font with USD forks

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Please guide if same is worth considering to improve braking and front suspension ride.
Naj, I will leave the technical stuff to the experts and users to answer.

With all the changes you are making (money spent) to make this ride better and other things, perhaps you could consider selling this bike and buying something else which suits or fits you better. Just a thought.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 15:07   #3649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please guide if same is worth considering to improve braking and front suspension ride
ABS - A big NO!! Pls don't tamper with it pls.

Then fitting an USD, I don't know the purpose, but if it's for aesthetics, I don't know what to say as it's personal preference. If its for better braking bite to fit dual disc, again, the stock single disc brake is more than sufficient for speeds up to 120 Kmph.

However, if you're looking for smoother ride experience, then I would request reviewing this post & take an informed decision please.

Last edited by aargee : 19th September 2022 at 15:15.
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 16:35   #3650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,
I have recently spoken with a GT mod workshop about possible fitting of twin discs…
Question - why double discs? The braking on the 650 is actually one of its strong suits. Why do you specifically want to mess with that? Aesthetics??
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 19:01   #3651
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,
I have recently spoken with a GT mod workshop about possible fitting of twin discs upfront and changing the front shock up set up for a smoother ride.
I have been suggested the following for this fitment-
1)USD forks with dual brake set. The stock ABS will be removed however as per the WShop the braking will significantly improve. Brakes will not lock.
I'f you're unhappy with the stock front suspension communicating every road imperfection to the wrists instead of absorbing them, the YSS kit (stiffer springs, thicker oil, preload adjusters, rebound damping valve) has solved that for me. I would rate them better (= more comfortable) than stock on broken roads at slower speeds too.

I've found the front brakes to be fantastic
for the usual highway speeds and occasional dash of adrenaline.
Changed to EBC pads but haven't noticed much difference in braking distance over stock pads. You may try these Brembo pads if you want before going for such a complicated rebuild, they're available at roadpowercustoms (the stock pads had the Brembo logo too though).
https://roadpowercustoms.com/shop/ol...red-brake-pads

Doing away with the LIFESAVER ABS ?? please do away with the person doling this advice pronto.
No ABS = no aid to stop brakes from locking up except your right hand. Do you really want to take that chance?

Last edited by Vtach : 19th September 2022 at 19:21.
Vtach is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 19:14   #3652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
So coming to the accessories/mods/maintenance products bit. Please feel free to offer any and all advice for any item you see fit - "not needed at all", "buy this instead", "there's a different solution", "this just won't work", "just live with this", "wait and see" etc - I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Thanks for making this list, you made my life easier. I am scheduled to get my GT 650 in the next 1-2 weeks. Please do let me know which accessories out of these you finally decide to go for.

I have gone for the following in MIY creator:
  • Bar end mirrors
  • Sump guard
  • Engine guard
I plan on adding the following once I get the bike:
  • Round LED tail light from Meteor (I don't know how easy or difficult this mod is since on youtube people have done quite a lot of work to make it fit)
  • Official LED indicator accessory of Meteor/Hunter (should be a straight fit)
  • LED headlight with DRL
  • Simtac PnP Flasher which requires no additional switch
  • Seat cowl

If anyone has any inputs regarding the above or know any recommended products, please help me out!

Last edited by shivamk11 : 19th September 2022 at 19:15.
Old 19th September 2022, 19:45   #3653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamk11 View Post
[*]Round LED tail light from Meteor (I don't know how easy or difficult this mod is since on Youtube people have done quite a lot of work to make it fit)[*]Official LED indicator accessory of Meteor/Hunter (should be a straight fit)[*]LED headlight with DRL[*]Simtac PnP Flasher
please help me out!
https://www.bikenbiker.com/products/...gnals-kuryakyn

This should be a plug & play for the tail light, would retain the stock look too. (stock halogen & this LED have same 1157 base).

For indicators I'm using the Simtac LED bulbs in stock housings, holding fine since >3 years now. You'll have to change the flasher relay to an LED compatible one too (got a Minda branded one for cheaps from Amazon) otherwise they'll hyperflash.
Vtach is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 07:47   #3654
naj
BHPian

Hello ,
Thanks for the Inputs. This is the very reason I first put the idea across to the FMs, since the suggested mods will bring big changes in riding dynamics and can be life threatening too.The cost involved is not too much but its a subjective thing never-the-less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Naj, I will leave the technical stuff to the experts and users to answer.

With all the changes you are making (money spent) to make this ride better and other things, perhaps you could consider selling this bike and buying something else which suits or fits you better. Just a thought.

Cheers
Hi Cyborg, I use this bike almost 3/4 times a week to work when it does not rain and the bike suits me in chaotic Pune traffic and am happy with the experience. I look forward to riding this every time.I dont ride on the freeways which is a promise made to my family.
Heat issues are well contained. I have almost sorted out all the issues I had with the inputs gotten right here. BTW I have ridden a Trident 660 and Z900 as possible replacements but may not full fill the daily commute needs.Gt is just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Question - why double discs? The braking on the 650 is actually one of its strong suits. Why do you specifically want to mess with that? Aesthetics??
Hi Urban_Nomadi -The brakes are great but there are times when some more stopping power is needed especially when some one just cuts in front of you in a classic Pune style thinking the other person will stop.My route is in full Bumper to Bumper traffic and with 300 Kgs of mass lugging around feel the brakes could do with more byte sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtach View Post
I'f you're unhappy with the stock front suspension communicating every road imperfection to the wrists instead of absorbing them, the YSS kit (stiffer springs, thicker oil, preload adjusters, rebound damping valve) has solved that for me. I would rate them better (= more comfortable) than stock on broken roads at slower speeds too.

I've found the front brakes to be fantastic
for the usual highway speeds and occasional dash of adrenaline.
Changed to EBC pads but haven't noticed much difference in braking distance over stock pads. You may try these Brembo pads if you want before going for such a complicated rebuild, they're available at roadpowercustoms (the stock pads had the Brembo logo too though).
https://roadpowercustoms.com/shop/ol...red-brake-pads

Doing away with the LIFESAVER ABS ?? please do away with the person doling this advice pronto.
No ABS = no aid to stop brakes from locking up except your right hand. Do you really want to take that chance?
Hi Vtach- Thanks for the valuable inputs and well noted and agree fully.

Now to be honest the inspiration to go for these mods came from this video on YouTube- Think I can paste the link here as its open for viewing on YTube anyway-

Thanks -Naj.

Last edited by naj : 20th September 2022 at 07:52. Reason: Grammer
naj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 14:49   #3655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW I have ridden a Trident 660 and Z900 as possible replacements but may not full fill the daily commute needs.Gt is just fine.
The Trident or Z900 would be overkill for your requirements and painful in traffic. I was meaning something like the Honda CB 350 (Highness, hate the tag though) or the likes with an upright seating posture and more comfortable riding ergonomics without the need for modifications or headache.

Anyways, main thing is you are happy with what you ride, nothing else matters

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 18:22   #3656
BHPian

Quote:
The brakes are great but there are times when some more stopping power is needed especially when some one just cuts in front of you in a classic Pune style thinking the other person will stop.My route is in full Bumper to Bumper traffic and with 300 Kgs of mass lugging around feel the brakes could do with more byte sometimes.
Dual disks are overkill and no ABS means your stock safety mechanism is out of the window which means higher chances of you going down in an accident. Instead of going through with this hack job that someone is trying to sell to you that would mess up your perfectly functional stock bike - check for pad wear, clean them, replace if required, bleed brake fluid and replace. Basically, overhaul your braking system.

Stock suspension externals are perfect as is - you can try going with a thicker grade of oil, pre-load adjustments from way2speed or replace internals from YSS. Replacing stock suspension and moving to USD is not a good idea, they are more prone to damaged oil seals. And the entire exercise of radically changing the front end and brakes for your intended purpose is completely unnecessary, creating more problems that solutions.

Quote:
Now to be honest the inspiration to go for these mods came from this video on YouTube- Think I can paste the link here as its open for viewing on YTube anyway-
https://Youtu.be/2zvinmFizLw
This is a show bike - not meant to be functional but to sell wild dreams and help the builder get more people to come to him with their bikes and money. It is not practical by even a far stretch of the imagination. You need a daily commuter, not an impractical show bike/ garage queen. Hope this helps you with your decision-making process.

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 22nd September 2022 at 18:23.
2StrokeJunkie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 16:06   #3657

Good afternoon everyone.

In the 7 months I've had my bike I've paid atleast 30 visits to different service centers regarding the issues that I've been facing and none of them were able to come up with a permanent solution. The fixes work for a month, after which the bike goes back to 'normal'.

Last week, I went on a casual ride within the city and noticed something that has never happened before. The bike was idling erratically, with the RPM dipping below the 1000 mark. It stalled thrice in first gear and the engine sounded very weak. The performance was not noticeably affected but it certainly didn't feel like the test ride bikes that I'd ridden before. The vibrations were on the higher side, for an Interceptor, and it struggled to get going in first gear. As of now, the bike's been in the service center for four days and I still haven't received any update on what's wrong. I also had asked them to change the gear shaft as I was facing issues with the gearshifts. I called them four times and they told me that it's an issue related to the gear lever, when I'd already clearly explained the major issue that I was facing to them. I also showed them a video of the rev needle fluctuating like crazy and it seems like they've forgotten about it. Every single time I've called them, they've told me that it's an issue related to the gear lever.

I'm fed up of temporary fixes. They do more harm in the long run and I really hope to find a permanent solution. If anyone has any idea on what the issue could be, it would be really helpful. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd September 2022 at 16:08. Reason: Spacing for better readability
carsandcaffeine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 16:36   #3658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsandcaffeine View Post
The bike was idling erratically, with the RPM dipping below the 1000 mark. It stalled thrice in first gear and the engine sounded very weak.
Did they check the ignition system and the spark plugs? A fault in this might be causing the intermittent stalling
Old 23rd September 2022, 16:50   #3659

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit View Post
Did they check the ignition system and the spark plugs? A fault in this might be causing the intermittent stalling
They apparently did check the ignition system and plugs the last time, and everything was 'normal'. I'm waiting to see what they're going to do now. I also have been facing occasional mild startup related issues, like a slight hiccup before starting up. I would also like to know how much an ignition coil replacement would cost at an FNG, because if the service center cannot do anything, I'll have to do that, despite my bike being under warranty.
Old 23rd September 2022, 16:57   #3660

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit View Post
They apparently did check the ignition system and the plugs last time and told me everything was 'normal'. I've also been facing occasional mild startup issues, like a small hiccup, before the engine fires to life. I'd also like to know how much it would cost me to get the ignition coil replaced at an FNG, because if the service center cannot do anything about it, that will be my last option, despite my bike being under warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks