Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 16:49   #751
Senior - BHPian

I have (Well actually its my wife's which I ride) a Honda Activa. The scooter has been well maintained and even though is more than 5.5 years has only done 32K KMs. I had to change the clutch plate (the service station guy called it Clutch Shoe) in the last service even though I didn't feel any loss of pick up. The Service Advisor told me that it making noise so they need to change it ( I couldn't hear any noise either)

I would like to know whether the Clutch Plates of Activa wear off so fast at 32K ? Or was it the Dealer Service Station who conned me to get it changed just because it had done 32k KMs
Old 29th April 2009, 10:50   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I totally agree with you. Is the case better with HH??
Atleast HH immediately gave me a delivery. Only thing is that they did not accept a cheque, nor were they ready to accept payment by card. Cash or DD were the only options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Actually, that is only with Pashankar Honda.
I had been to Kothari Honda (On Tilak road). Same experience there.

The vehicle has done 6 or so kilometers till date. Waiting for the engine to free up.
Old 29th April 2009, 17:38   #753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I would like to know whether the Clutch Plates of Activa wear off so fast at 32K ? Or was it the Dealer Service Station who conned me to get it changed just because it had done 32k KMs
Clutch wear depends on type of usage. If you have no loss in FE or pickp, then no need to change.
Old 29th April 2009, 17:45   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Clutch wear depends on type of usage. If you have no loss in FE or pickp, then no need to change.
I also thought so too, but since I didn't have the time to go to the workshop and check the components, I just asked them to change.

And the Clutch Plate for the Activa looks like Brake Drum Shoe.
Old 30th April 2009, 00:48   #755
BHPian

Quote:
I have (Well actually its my wife's which I ride) a Honda Activa. The scooter has been well maintained and even though is more than 5.5 years has only done 32K KMs. I had to change the clutch plate (the service station guy called it Clutch Shoe) in the last service even though I didn't feel any loss of pick up. The Service Advisor told me that it making noise so they need to change it ( I couldn't hear any noise either)

32k is not early to wear out a set of clutch shoes. with clutch shoes you may not feel the loss of pick up or fe unlike in wet clutch plate systems. i do not think that you were conned. the shoes must have reached their wear limit and hence perhaps you were asked to change them. if the change is delayed then it could result in wear of the clutch bell itself adding to avoidable expenses.

you really do not get any real loss in braking from fairly worn shoes before you need to change them. once a certain level of the linings are worn out, its recommended to change the shoes, be it clutch or brakes.

besides i do not see why you need to worry so much about changing a wear and tear item after 5 years and 32k kms?? consider it as part of the regular maintenance.

Last edited by hollywoodhogan : 30th April 2009 at 00:51.
Old 30th April 2009, 01:51   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post

besides i do not see why you need to worry so much about changing a wear and tear item after 5 years and 32k kms?? consider it as part of the regular maintenance.
Can't disagree more with this! Best not to try to fix whats not broken!! And most mechs are extremely sloppy... they often create new problems while trying to solve one issue. There is no sense in changing it just because its a wearable item and 5 years old! One of my bikes clutch is around a decade old... should I change it just for that reason???

Of course if it has really reached the wear limit, you have to change...
Old 30th April 2009, 13:29   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
i can't agree more on this.
Old 30th April 2009, 14:04   #758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
32k is not early to wear out a set of clutch shoes.

I feel 32k may not be too early, but I have experienced clutch plates lasting more than 50k on my previous bikes.
I had given the bike for servicing at the dealer service center near my office and not at my regular guy. Till about 2 months and 200 kms back there was nothing at all as per my regular mechanic. The clutch shoe pad is still about 2mm and there were no audible noises as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Can't disagree more with this! Best not to try to fix whats not broken!! And most mechs are extremely sloppy... they often create new problems while trying to solve one issue. There is no sense in changing it just because its a wearable item and 5 years old! One of my bikes clutch is around a decade old... should I change it just for that reason???

Absolutely agree with don't fix if it aint broken and most mechanics are very sloppy.

Anyways whats done is done.
Old 30th April 2009, 23:59   #759
BHPian

Quote:
I feel 32k may not be too early, but I have experienced clutch plates lasting more than 50k on my previous bikes.
I had given the bike for servicing at the dealer service center near my office and not at my regular guy. Till about 2 months and 200 kms back there was nothing at all as per my regular mechanic. The clutch shoe pad is still about 2mm and there were no audible noises as well.
Absolutely agree with don't fix if it aint broken and most mechanics are very sloppy.
Anyways whats done is done.
and why did you not give the bike this time to your regular mechanic? its ok milecruncher, do not take too much stress on this. 2mm is the wear limit. and if you are going to wait till noises start then be prepared to change the clutch bell or outer clutch too because by that time the damage is done. dry centrifugal clutch shoes are not like wet multiplate clutch where you could allow them to completely fail and slip before changing.

remember, dealers and local mechanics have to survive and make money and so both WILL ALWAYS be at loggerheads and will ALWAYS DISAGREE with each other. the best way is to balance the 2 since the manufacturer appointed dealer is also important and so is the local garage.
Old 1st June 2009, 20:32   #760
BHPian

Looking for Kinetic ZX stickers

Sorry if this is off-topic. I had my 15 year old Kinetic refurbished early this year from a dealer. Sadly, i was told that the stickers were not available, and the vehicle looks too bland without them. Can anyone please PM if you know of any shop, hopefully in Bangalore, that still has stock of the sticker set that's shown in the scooter below?
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
The Gearless Scooter Thread-kinetic.jpeg  

Old 2nd June 2009, 16:32   #761
BHPian

Saw an ad in news paper yesterday.
Kinetic Sym Flyte is now Mahindra Sym Flyte..

Mahindra has launched two wheelers.. Tried finding some info on this - couldn't get any help.

I am wondering what happens to the warranty that was given to us by Kinetic Sym. Will it continue to be serviced by Kinetic -- or Sym will get it done through Mahindra?
Old 12th June 2009, 10:12   #762
BANNED

Location: Gudaibiya; BAHRAIN/ Vandiperiyar; KERALA/ Wuhan; CHINA
Madein China

The Gearless Scooter Thread-image366.jpg
My ride in China!!
Old 12th June 2009, 21:12   #763
BHPian

Gearless Scooter For going to College

Hey Friends! I currently require a gear less scooter for going to college. I've driven the new Honda Activa of my friend and was impressed by it. he claimed that it returned 45-50 kmpl. Is this true? And what is the dynamic braking feature available on the Deluxe model? Can anyone please explain what it is?

Also, I saw the Bajaj Blade pictures on the net and was stunned by it!! When is it going to be released? And is it going to be a CVT scooter? and is the 125cc DTSi engine same as the XCD's? Should i wait for it or go for the activa?
Old 13th June 2009, 23:56   #764
BHPian

Gearless ??? as in why ?
go for a bike , power ranging from 100cc to 250 cc , for a college student 125cc should be fine
Old 14th June 2009, 01:15   #765
BHPian

I say go for a scoot if your college is nearby, otherwise a motorcycle. you should be able to get a 125cc bike for the same price as the activa. And if you do want an activa then go for the Dio its sportier and handles really well.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks