Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Replying on behalf of V12 :
Hi Bikenstein, here's my reply : No offence at all

The bike cost me Rs. 7000.
1988 Model. Pics taken in Andheri.
Will check and let you know.
Engine is stock.
Cool.

A simple way to check if the bike is 12v or 6v is by checking any bulb- in the tail light, indicator or headlamp.
if they are 12v, most prolly the bike has been modded to 12v.
6v bulbs on a 12v system will simply fuse instantly.
12v bulbs on a 6v system will just glow very dim and fuse on high revs i think.

If you take off the tank, there will be a small rectangular grey/silver metal box like thing mounted on the Chassis- it's called the 'regulator with rectifier' as it is called in garage lingo.
Will have a modular connector with wires in a black pvc sleeve.

It will be marked/labelled 12v or 6v.

If you have a 12v battery on the 6v 'regulator with rectifier', it will not be able to charge the battery properly.

IIRC, the only changes one needs to shift to 12v is to change the 'regulator with rectifier' to 12v and replace the battery to a 12v battery and all the bulbs including the meter pod/s to 12v ones of proper rating.

The chassis/frame has braved almost 20yrs of Mumbai climes and is most probably corroded+pitted making the shoddy paint job look shoddier.
Will need thorough sanding before it is primed and painted again to restore it to look as good as new.

Last edited by BIKeINSTEIN : 25th June 2008 at 13:26. Reason: changed some words that were forum slang
Old 25th June 2008, 14:44   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKeINSTEIN View Post
Straight6 sir- i have a pic coming up for you- as soon as i get my hands on some cam. : )
BTW, i thought you are a bawa too- sorry for presuming. : (
What picture? I'm a maharashtrian but when it comes to bikes and cars I'm more bawa than bawa's are.
Old 26th June 2008, 20:27   #48
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your tips BIKeINSTEIN.

Ok, the parts are arriving faster than expected. We have got almost all the body parts that need to be replaced. Straight6, thanks for your offer but I think right now i'll stick to the original RX silencer or maybe use a RXZ one.

Depending on the availability, we may pick up an RX/RXZ silencer and a fibre mudguard. Have not yet decided which speedometer to go for. The original one costs around 750-850 bucks. Any idea how much does the Pulsar digital speedo costs and would it be a direct fit.

The usual bike-parts shopping bag.
My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread! Dec 09 - back to stock!-parts.jpg

Let the parts out of the bag.
My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread! Dec 09 - back to stock!-boxparts.jpg

Boxes opened up.
My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread! Dec 09 - back to stock!-allparts1.jpg

Thunderbird Headlight
My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread! Dec 09 - back to stock!-headlight.jpg

Yamaha tank and side-panel logos
My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread! Dec 09 - back to stock!-logos.jpg

Unpainted side panels
My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread! Dec 09 - back to stock!-sidepanels.jpg

Indicators : These are a smaller version of the original Yamaha indicators
My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread! Dec 09 - back to stock!-indicators.jpg
Old 26th June 2008, 23:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

Awesome V12. Can you list out the cost of the parts?

Why try the pulsar speedo when you have the legendry RD speedo that is a direct fit? Cables are an issue. Mine worked with altered Yezdi cables.
Old 26th June 2008, 23:59   #50
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

We were thinking of the RD meters, but getting one is the major problem. Also it is very expensive. If nothing works out, we'll stick to the original RX100 meters.

If all goes well, the bike should be completed within a month or 2. The complete bike will be torn down for sanding, painting, electrical work etc. We still need to decide on the paint job on the body, engine, chasis, aluminium parts, chrome-work etc etc. Trying to get into the minutest details for this project.
Old 27th June 2008, 01:06   #51
BHPian

All the best for your project, I'm sure the end result will be amazing.

Is the thunderbird headlamp a direct fit to the yamaha ?

Also you can also look at the thunderbird/enticer side indicator lights, they are cone shaped with chrome finish. I have installed them on my bike, looks good.
Old 27th June 2008, 05:44   #52
BHPian

Nice stuff V12 sir.

Maybe you project demands that chromed headlight assembly- i usually prefer ones that come with the P43T or atleast P45T type of headlight bulb as they offer higher power bulbs anda much better fit/contact.
I think the non-DTSI Pulsar headlights have that.
I used Gypsy/Omni P43T/P45T sealed beams within various domes+rims combos.

Where did you buy these from- i am also from Andheri btw.
Old 27th June 2008, 13:27   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hey, how much will a new tank cost? My tanks got a dent in it from a stupid uncle's Splendor falling on it in the building. I like the turn signals you've got. How much for them and from where?
Old 27th June 2008, 13:36   #54
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Shakensoul : I dont think the headlight will be a direct fit onto the existing clamps. Also, I'm planning to lower the headlights a bit so will have to modify the clamp.
Dont want too much of chrome on the bike and hence I decided against the Enticer/T'bird indicators. These indicators are small and in the same shape as the RX100 ones. And they are of very good quality. The only problem is that the wire exits from behind the indicator rather than the side bolts.

BIKeINSTEIN : We were actually looking for a bigger non clear-lens headlamp since the original headlight is too small (want a bit heavy look in the front). Got the headlights from a shop in Andheri itself.

straight6 : I guess they are available for around 700-900 bucks in Kurla - CST road. I'll be going there to check out some stuff. Will let you know if I come across a good tank.

All : I'm planning to fit a 90/90-18 tyre up front and a 100/90-18 at the rear. Can someone post the prices of these tyres.
Old 27th June 2008, 14:10   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I dont think the headlight will be a direct fit onto the existing clamps. Also, I'm planning to lower the headlights a bit so will have to modify the clamp.
Check out the headlight 'Kaan(ears in nindi)' set for RXZ (garage lingo)- may suit your needs- accepts wider domes, has mounts for the turn signal indicators and also makes the HL and indicators sit a bit lower due to the shape/design.
Quote:
I'm planning to fit a 90/90-18 tyre up front and a 100/90-18 at the rear. Can someone post the prices of these tyres.
Woah- those are some heavy "boots"- especially at the front.
The stock chrome mudguard is dicey then, the fiber RXZ ones may fit barely- on the stock fork legs i.e.
Old 28th June 2008, 09:24   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKeINSTEIN View Post
Straight6 sir- i have a pic coming up for you- as soon as i get my hands on some cam. : )
BTW, i thought you are a bawa too- sorry for presuming. : (
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
What picture?
Better late than never- the picture in the post in the following link.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/883301-post249.html
Old 28th June 2008, 19:26   #57
Senior - BHPian

If I take that from you, where will I get the end can from?
Old 28th June 2008, 23:46   #58
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Time for some updates :
  • The footpegs and gear linkages have arrived. They just need to modified as per our requirements.
  • The tank has been removed to be worked upon
Old 29th June 2008, 20:14   #59
Senior - BHPian

Go for the RXG135 head lite clamps the head lite would be mounted easy on that and then they look clean aswell....

regarding the Electricals... if it is a 1988 then the electricals are for sure 6V cause the 12 volt came in 1994 models from the march lot.

for tyres it ranges roughly between 800-1220 for both front and rear for the size that you want...

regarding your PODS PM me will get the RD ones sorted for you...

take care bu bye

DD
Old 30th June 2008, 09:55   #60
BHPian

Quote:
We were thinking of the RD meters, but getting one is the major problem. Also it is very expensive. If nothing works out, we'll stick to the original RX100 meters.
Yesterday, while getting my pipe, I asked for the RD meters price, it was 400/- for both the speedometer and rpm meter (chrome).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks