Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2008, 14:45   #106
BHPian

You can either remove all the masala from the stock exhaust or build a freeflow. Just removing the CAT cannot make any hell of a difference.
If I were you, I'd just leave the stock exhaust alone and build my own pipe and thats what I always do. Might build a pipe for the R15 also soon.
Old 6th October 2008, 16:20   #107
Senior - BHPian

Joel, my folks are very sensitive regarding exhaust sound and i had to change the goldie type pipe from the Bullet due to this. So a proper free flow exhaust and removing the masala from the stock exhaust could again create trouble That is why i asked about using the pre cat con CBZ exhaust which won't be too loud since it's an OE pipe, but at the same time might flow better than the Karizma pipe.
Old 6th October 2008, 16:31   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Joel, my folks are very sensitive regarding exhaust sound and i had to change the goldie type pipe from the Bullet due to this. So a proper free flow exhaust and removing the masala from the stock exhaust could again create trouble That is why i asked about using the pre cat con CBZ exhaust which won't be too loud since it's an OE pipe, but at the same time might flow better than the Karizma pipe.
Do one thing. Get the CBZ non cat canister and use a Karizma's bend pipe. The CBZ has a slightly smaller dia bend pipe and that will tamper top-end performance although lower rpms will improve. Or get a larger 30mm bend pipe and weld to the CBZ canister.
It will be a lot better than the OE zma exhaust.
Old 6th October 2008, 20:30   #109
WiZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
You can either remove all the masala from the stock exhaust or build a freeflow. Just removing the CAT cannot make any hell of a difference.
If I were you, I'd just leave the stock exhaust alone and build my own pipe and thats what I always do. Might build a pipe for the R15 also soon.
Woah ! Pipe for the R15 ?

Please do tell on what all you're planning on the R15.I don't think any other guy in the country is set to blow that bike other than you ! You're da MAN !
Old 6th October 2008, 21:23   #110
WiZ

That's my exhaust.Better revving,mass centralisation and weight reduction and it didn't cost me a penny.When my dad is around,i just bolt on the original exhaust's cover (But he does enquire about the strange exhaust note )

[ Sorry for the pic quality.It's from a very inferior phone cam ]
Old 6th October 2008, 23:25   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
Do one thing. Get the CBZ non cat canister and use a Karizma's bend pipe. The CBZ has a slightly smaller dia bend pipe and that will tamper top-end performance although lower rpms will improve. Or get a larger 30mm bend pipe and weld to the CBZ canister.
It will be a lot better than the OE zma exhaust.
That's what I plan to do. Gotta find an old CBZ exhaust now. If not the 30mm pipe i can atleast weld it to the Karizma pipe.

Wiz, i can't see the picture mate. Please repost.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:08   #112
WiZ

]
Old 7th October 2008, 13:03   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiZ View Post
Woah ! Pipe for the R15 ?

Please do tell on what all you're planning on the R15.I don't think any other guy in the country is set to blow that bike other than you ! You're da MAN !
Will surely let you know if I come-up with something.
And I will do something. The stock engine is hopelessly feeling under powered, although its pretty fast. I'm riding my Group D spec RTR these days, feels more lively and does a true 125+ everyday on the outer ring road. The R15 would takes ages to do the same.
Old 8th October 2008, 18:45   #114
Senior - BHPian

Few pics from my side...

Jets from jetsRus: 4 Main jets with 2 pilots (40 & 42) Now the bike runs on 135 mains and 35.5 pilot (38might be perfect!). I might have to fit the choke cable back since starting has become tougher with the stock pilot.
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-pdr_0026.jpg

These two Mikuni main jets are very much similar to the Keihin main jets, one is 107.5 and the other one is 118. I haven't checked if these two would fit the Keihin carb. Anyways not gonna try now.
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-pdr_0027.jpg

Jets collection: Few have been gifted to friends.
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-pdr_0028.jpg

Carburetors: Dellorto & VM28
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-pdr_0020.jpg
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-pdr_0023.jpg

Pirelli Sport Demon 110x90 18. It's heavy but grip is very good.
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-pdr_0015.jpg

Chain cover is off. Never liked full chain covers on any of my bikes. I bought a pulsar plastic chain cover, the rear fitting is perfect, the front rather falls short of the required length. So i might have to make a 5cm long straight patti clamp to fix it. It will not be visible outside anyways. Pulsar 200 sprocket kit costs 1100 bucks, sprocket not available separately. I'm not changing anyways.
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-pdr_0018.jpg

Headlamp bulb: Phillips Xtreme +80 55/60W. Beam is very good. If you look hard you'll notice that the bulb is infact slimmer than regular halogens.
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-pdr_0005.jpg

jetsRus sticker
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-pdr_0002.jpg

Airfilter is yet to come.... this loong wait is getting on to my nerves. Strangely when i did a plug chop the porcelain was white as if it's running lean, mind you this is with the 130 mains. The main jet has been replaced with 135 and the pilot is back to stock (35.5). Even with the 135 there is no fluttering or brick wall effect on higher revs, i wonder if i can put a 140 mains There is a lot less popping from the exhaust now while decelerating with closed throttle. Accleration is linear and smooth with this setup. Coasting enrichner is connected.

That's the Stebel windtone horns which has been shifted from my Bullet. They sound nice and goes well with the looks of the bike since it's black and small.
Attached Thumbnails
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-pdr_0019.jpg  

Last edited by Sankar : 8th October 2008 at 18:57.
Old 8th October 2008, 19:09   #115
Senior - BHPian

nice detailed Pics Sankar. Thanks for sharing

Please do post a detailed post on before & after performance

Btw how many kms on ODO so far?
Old 8th October 2008, 19:31   #116
Senior - BHPian

I have that SPACO dellorto carb on my bull works like a charm.

@Sankar I would need a little detailed review as how it performs on zma,I had tried it once,low end was superb,but the bike refused to go past 90.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 8th October 2008 at 19:32.
Old 8th October 2008, 19:43   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
nice detailed Pics Sankar. Thanks for sharing

Please do post a detailed post on before & after performance

Btw how many kms on ODO so far?
You're most welcome Kedar! Bike has done around 17xx kms till date. I will post the review after the mods have reached a final stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I have that SPACO dellorto carb on my bull works like a charm.

@Sankar I would need a little detailed review as how it performs on zma,I had tried it once,low end was superb,but the bike refused to go past 90.
I had the original Dellorto on my Bullet which i sold. This Spaco Dellorto is as good as the original Dellorto. All the circuits are identical. The difference is original Dello has a plastic float bowl and a plastic top cap held down by two size 8 bolts. Choke lever is plastic and different. This one is as good as the original and suit the Bullet very well.

The problem you had with bike not exceeding 90 was due to the lean main jet. I did 120+ with the Dello after a drilled mains has been installed. But the drilled mains was too rich so had problem at the top end.
Old 8th October 2008, 19:55   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will post the review after the mods have reached a final stage.
Sankar we would also like to know how much improvement each mod did
Old 8th October 2008, 20:06   #119
Senior - BHPian

@Sankar if I am not wrong SPACo(Dellorto) Carb has a stock #105 main jet?
Any possibility of finding a bigger jet for this Carb?
Old 8th October 2008, 20:25   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Sankar we would also like to know how much improvement each mod did
Hehe... you know when it comes to writing i'm lazy But i'll post a review after the airfilter has been installed.

Anyways here's a brief in chronological order.

TPS off, stock carb & jets: Bike lost some midrange, revs up more easily
Dellorto, 105 mains and 38 pilot: Low end rocks, bike doesn't cross 80 to 90. Lean mains
Dellorto, drilled (approx 150) mains: Low end rocks, a mild bog in the midrange, acceleration vastly superior after the mid range bog. Crosses 120 quite fast, but bike surges in wot. reason mains is too large.
Keihin with 130 mains & 40 pilot with drilled slide and cut springs: Throttle response off idle has improved a lot and nearly comparable to the Dellorto. Acceleration is improved and the throttle reaction lag of CV carb is reduced. Mid range could do with a slight jetting down (but not possible with stock needle). Top end is good for 135 on level flat road and rider not crouching. No brick wall effect and plug looks lean.
Keihin with 135 mains and 40 pilot, modded slide and spring: Low end reduced and comparable to stock. Midrange is linear. Top speed not checked but again no fluttering or brick wall.

All speeds speedo indicated. Airbox snorkel has been removed for all runs. Intake resonator again removed couple of days back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
@Sankar if I am not wrong SPACo(Dellorto) Carb has a stock #105 main jet?
Any possibility of finding a bigger jet for this Carb?
You have to import it. And it's costly since Dellorto jets are to be found on European and British shops. Anyways it's possible to drill the stock 105, thats what everybody with these carbs do. Go to the power tools shop and ask for drill bits 1.5mm for a 150 jet, 1.3 mm for a 130 jet. I bought a 2.9mm drill bit to drill the slide. (Anyone else reading this kindly note than this works for only round jets and not for hex jets)

Last edited by Sankar : 8th October 2008 at 20:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks