Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2008, 16:18   #151
BHPian

Hey does it have that intake roar like in the K&N filters ? or is it muted ? is the PCV breather really required ?
Old 18th October 2008, 18:36   #152
Senior - BHPian

Edit: Duplicate post.

Last edited by Sankar : 18th October 2008 at 18:40.
Old 18th October 2008, 18:40   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Looks good Sankar.

How much difference has all these mods made from the totally stock bike?
Thanks Kedar. It has made a lot of difference over the stock setup. Although i haven't been able to test the bike properly due to bad weather, i can feel the increase in power especially from midrange to the top end. Low end performance hasn't gone down, it's adequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
2 questions :-

1. You mentioned this nearly the exact replica of the KnN R1100, can you tell me whats the product code for this Uni filter?
2. Is the Breather Pod necessary?How does it help? Any disadvantages?
I never mentioned that this is a replica of a K&N R1100, this is a lot bigger than the K&N R1100. This will not fit where a R1100 will fit. Product code is UP6245.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Hey does it have that intake roar like in the K&N filters ? or is it muted ? is the PCV breather really required ?
Intake roar is muted compared to a bike with K&N fitted on to the carb.

Praful & muneem, Engine pushes air out of the crankcase in pulses, so there's a suction pulse after every ejection pulse. There's a minor chance of dirt being sucked into the crankcase during the suction pulse. Breather pod prevents that from happening.

If not keen on using breather pod, use Bullet's duckbill breather tube, it acts as a one way valve.
Old 20th October 2008, 10:43   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I never mentioned that this is a replica of a K&N R1100, this is a lot bigger than the K&N R1100. This will not fit where a R1100 will fit. Product code is UP6245.Engine pushes air out of the crankcase in pulses, so there's a suction pulse after every ejection pulse. There's a minor chance of dirt being sucked into the crankcase during the suction pulse. Breather pod prevents that from happening.

If not keen on using breather pod, use Bullet's duckbill breather tube, it acts as a one way valve.
Thanks for the input, previously the breather tube was placed in the airbox, behind the foam filter.

Do you know any product that would in the size range of the R1100?
Another question, why a foam wrap over the filter? Is it really necessary, I thought a wrap would be more required over a KN filter!
Old 20th October 2008, 14:19   #155
Senior - BHPian

A few more pics

Filter from another angle. It's large but sits neatly inside once covered up.
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-dsc00057.jpg

Sticker!
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-dsc00059.jpg

Quote:
Thanks for the input, previously the breather tube was placed in the airbox, behind the foam filter.

Do you know any product that would in the size range of the R1100?
Another question, why a foam wrap over the filter? Is it really necessary, I thought a wrap would be more required over a KN filter!
Yep previously breather pipe was behind the filter. These are dual stage foam airfilters, that's why it has two layers of foam of different pore sizes. It still flows enough.
American UNI actually has foam wraps that are designed to be put over K&N, it works better than K&N wraps, according to some who have used them.

Find the dimension of the R1100 from the K&N website. Then go over to the uniflow.com.au and from their universal pod filter range choose a filter that closely matches the R1100. Flange ID and the filter height and filter width are the key parameters.
Old 20th October 2008, 14:29   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
A few more pics

Filter from another angle. It's large but sits neatly inside once covered up.
Attachment 61724
Buddy, that thing is HUGE!!!!!!!^10000

Doesn't it foul with you leg while riding? And a open chain, you got really clean roads at your end? Or do you clean and lube really really often?

Last edited by praful : 20th October 2008 at 14:31.
Old 20th October 2008, 15:02   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buddy, that thing is HUGE!!!!!!!^10000

Doesn't it foul with you leg while riding? And a open chain, you got really clean roads at your end? Or do you clean and lube really really often?
It doesn't foul. It sits nicely inside the bodywork once the side panel is on. See it in the photo below.

My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-dsc00084.jpg

Man, roads are okay. I plan to replace this chain with o-ring chain once this chain wears out. I don't regularly clean or lube the chain. I do it once a month or when i find the chain to be dry. Let me see how long the cain is gonna last in this condition. I'm not putting the chain cover anyways. I hate chain covers!
Old 20th October 2008, 21:26   #158
BHPian

Don't you think there very less space around the filter, for it to suck air properly? And I can see that the filter is being crushed, thereby forcing a change in shape. Doesn't this affect filtering capability, since the intake air will not pass through the whole length (or rather full filtering area) of the filter?

Is it not possible to place the filter in the place where the air box was present earlier?
Old 20th October 2008, 22:58   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper123 View Post
Don't you think there very less space around the filter, for it to suck air properly? And I can see that the filter is being crushed, thereby forcing a change in shape. Doesn't this affect filtering capability, since the intake air will not pass through the whole length (or rather full filtering area) of the filter?

Is it not possible to place the filter in the place where the air box was present earlier?
The filter gets plenty of air and it's not an issue at all. The plastic carb feed pipe, that i have retained from the airbox makes it possible to keep the filter exactly where the airbox was. The filter is not being crushed, the part in contact with the side panel is actually the filter wrap. There's a slight gap of a few centimetres between the filter top and the wrap, so the inside filter is not getting pressed even a little bit. There's a difference to the way it looks in the photos and the actual thing.
Old 24th October 2008, 20:43   #160
Senior - BHPian

Kerala as been witnessing some very heavy downpours since last week. Unfortunately the UNI filter arrived in the wrong time of the year, and i wasn't able to test it properly till now. To make things worse the filter was getting wet in the heavy downpour, mostly not while riding but when it's parked. This has been making the bike perform real bad. i didn't want to go back to the stock filter.. never.

So i did a drastic thing to do, I cut the UNIFILTER's outer cover into a rectangular piece and put it into the place where the paper filter element was There are two layers of oiled foam in the airbox. Bike was subjected to some heavy downpours and everything seems to be fine. Performance compared to the pod filter is not bad really, and it's anyways better than the stock paper element. I still have the pod filter intact for sunny days! Only the outer wrap suffered the wrath of my scissors.

I shall take some photos and post it when i open up the airbox for a check after couple of days.
Old 25th October 2008, 22:40   #161
Senior - BHPian

Photos of the new rainy season setup!

Pleated paper filter is cut out from it's holder.
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-dsc00108.jpg

Two plastic pieces are stuck (Araldite) to the edges of the filter holder. About 0.5cm of these plastic bits projects into the filter's space. This is to hold the filter in place. A very thin layer of white grease is spread on to the inside edges of the filter holder. This is to trap any piece of dirt that might find it's way in between the filter and the holder.
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-dsc00109.jpg

Two layers of foam is oiled and inserted into the filter holder. It's a snug fit, and the filter stays in place.
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-dsc00106.jpg

Filter installed on the bike.
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-dsc00105.jpg
Old 25th October 2008, 22:56   #162
BHPian

I wasnt as persistent as you are, sankar bhai. i removed my k n filter with the onset of the monsoons, and alongwith it the Zma jet i was running on my Pulsie.
How does water get into the filter? Splashes through the underside of the air filter box?
Old 27th October 2008, 10:34   #163
Senior - BHPian

Titus, Water used to find it's way into the filter through the gap between the tank and side panel. During the rains, if the bike is parked outside water wil drip off the rear end of the tank through the gap in the sidepanel and straight on to the filter. While riding water spray used to hit the filter from the bottom.

Anyway i like the present setup! It's working fine and good... nearly as good as with the pod So i might make this permanent.
Old 27th October 2008, 12:47   #164
Senior - BHPian

Thats quite a good Idea Sankar, I mean this could be an all weather stock solution, me likes
Old 27th October 2008, 13:02   #165
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Kedar! And you know what, the bike is performing well with this setup, that is even with a dual layer foam setup (remember if pod is used without outer wrap onlyone layer does the filtering job). So it should filter well

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks