Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2008, 00:20   #121
WiZ

Man,the way you wrote the changes after each jet job seems as if ton loadsa power is coming in just through these minor tweaks ! Or is it with these Jets R Us jets ? Where do you get 'em from ? Coz even after my Stage 1 (the usual K&N - jetting stuff) i was not at all happy.
Old 9th October 2008, 08:28   #122
Senior - BHPian

I noticed a strange thing this morning. I started my bike and my foot was under the exhaust collector part (the place where al the vent tubes exit) as the bike was on center stand. I felt a pulses of air on my foot and i thought it must be from one of the vent pipes (which isn't possible inthe normal case). As i thought it wasn't and the pulses of air were actually exhaust gases.

On further investigation i found that there's a small clean round hole of about 5mm dia on the lower part of the exhaust where the cat con sits. This hole isn't threaded so i doubt a screw has unscrewed itself and opened the hole. If it's a water drain hole then why is the exhaust gases coming out through it? So what should i do, should i close it or leave it open?

I shot a photo to make it clear to you guys. Notice the carbon deposits on the hole.
My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-pdr_0030.jpg
Old 9th October 2008, 09:13   #123
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

That is a well maintained bike!!
Old 9th October 2008, 09:26   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I noticed a strange thing this morning. I started my bike and my foot was under the exhaust collector part (the place where al the vent tubes exit) as the bike was on center stand. I felt a pulses of air on my foot and i thought it must be from one of the vent pipes (which isn't possible inthe normal case). As i thought it wasn't and the pulses of air were actually exhaust gases.

On further investigation i found that there's a small clean round hole of about 5mm dia on the lower part of the exhaust where the cat con sits. This hole isn't threaded so i doubt a screw has unscrewed itself and opened the hole. If it's a water drain hole then why is the exhaust gases coming out through it? So what should i do, should i close it or leave it open?

I shot a photo to make it clear to you guys. Notice the carbon deposits on the hole.
Attachment 57687
The hole is present on all Zma's
No need to close it.
AFAIK this is a drain hole in case some water enters the exhaust.
exhaust gases will escape from it,if water enters exhaust it will escape through this hole only,exhaust pressure might help in ejection of water
Old 9th October 2008, 09:48   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiZ View Post
Man,the way you wrote the changes after each jet job seems as if ton loadsa power is coming in just through these minor tweaks ! Or is it with these Jets R Us jets ? Where do you get 'em from ? Coz even after my Stage 1 (the usual K&N - jetting stuff) i was not at all happy.
Drilled jets are usually not the best solution, drilling should be taken upon as the last resort in jetting. Like the size of the hole the shape of the entry and the exit funnels also matter a lot in fine jetting. Jestrus jets are Keihin replica jets and are of nice quality. After the mods yes power has increased a bit but not loads of it. I wanna see how it runs after the air filter change.

Did you use the K&N R1060 filter, was it inside the airbox or on the carb mouth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

That is a well maintained bike!!
Nicely maintained...? It's a new bike yaar I hope it stays this way after couple of years down the time line. Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
The hole is present on all Zma's
No need to close it.
AFAIK this is a drain hole in case some water enters the exhaust.
exhaust gases will escape from it,if water enters exhaust it will escape through this hole only,exhaust pressure might help in ejection of water
Cool! I thought some baffle must've gotten loose or corroded and letting the exhaust leak out through the drain hole.

Last edited by Sankar : 9th October 2008 at 09:50.
Old 9th October 2008, 11:17   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

Nicely maintained...? It's a new bike yaar I hope it stays this way after couple of years down the time line. Thanks mate!
Even if it is a new bike, it is as neat as a showroom one. I regularly see new bikes in bangalore which would not have seen water after leaving the showroom. How frequently do you wash it?

Last edited by PatienceWins : 9th October 2008 at 11:18.
Old 9th October 2008, 11:22   #127
Senior - BHPian

Yepp! That's a drain hole. Some pulsars also have that. Since the silencer is tilted to the top, there's a possibility of water entering into it during the rains.
Old 9th October 2008, 12:27   #128
BHPian

All 4-strokes have a water drain hole. Its an point where the rake of the canister and the primary bend pipe normally meet, so that the water can drain off.
Old 9th October 2008, 14:16   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Even if it is a new bike, it is as neat as a showroom one. I regularly see new bikes in bangalore which would not have seen water after leaving the showroom. How frequently do you wash it?
I wash it once every week using Formula1 car wash. And polish it using Formula1 wax once a month. I should try turtlewax next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Yepp! That's a drain hole. Some pulsars also have that. Since the silencer is tilted to the top, there's a possibility of water entering into it during the rains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
All 4-strokes have a water drain hole. Its an point where the rake of the canister and the primary bend pipe normally meet, so that the water can drain off.
Cool so that's settled!
Old 9th October 2008, 16:13   #130
WiZ

@Sankar - I use the R1100.I first had it on the carb mouth,but now i use the air vessel too.
Old 9th October 2008, 18:09   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiZ View Post
@Sankar - I use the R1100.I first had it on the carb mouth,but now i use the air vessel too.
Ok. I had a bad experience when i tried R1100 on the carb mouth. But at that time i didnt have any jets to upjet.

What's an air vessel? Have you clamped the R1100 inside the airbox on to the pipe that comes from the carb like this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tml#post241605
Old 9th October 2008, 18:51   #132
BHPian

The R1100 will draw a lot more air than needed into a stock engine. Its best to mount an R1060 or an RC1060 on the carb. Provides sufficient air to the engine.
And mounting a filter inside an airbox makes no sense at all.
Old 9th October 2008, 19:35   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
The R1100 will draw a lot more air than needed into a stock engine. Its best to mount an R1060 or an RC1060 on the carb. Provides sufficient air to the engine.
And mounting a filter inside an airbox makes no sense at all.
What if the mounting is with the airbox lid open?

The advantage i see in mounting the air filter inside the box is that the long pipe that will act as a nice velocity stack and smoothen the airflow over the venturi. The nice long rubber pipe reduce a lot of turbulence and the rubber pipe isn't restricitive in it's diameter. The filter i ordered is a lot bigger than the R1100 but then it's a foam filter. If only high rpm performance is what we are looking for then of course a pod on the carb mouth is much better.
Old 10th October 2008, 16:29   #134
WiZ

Yeah,the 1100 had given me bad experiences too and like Joel bro said the R1060 is more than enough.

Nopes, i had removed the airbox,but kept that rubber pipe with the small box.Without that it used to flutter at the top of the revrange (ie when fitted directly onto the carbmouth)
Old 10th October 2008, 19:34   #135
Senior - BHPian

R1060 is a small filter. Small filters clog up really quick and affect performance when compared to bigger ones which doesn't get clogged up as fast due to more surface area and will continue to provide service without affecting performance for a longer time without the need of frequent clean up.

Well, there's no such thing as a too big a filter for an engine. Engine only draws in air as much as it requires even if the filter is big. A bigger filter will enable the engine to draw in more air restriction free and that creates jetting issues, the solution is to up jet. A bigger filter and/or intake plumbing after the filter will help reduce the turbulence. If the pipe ain't restrictive it's good to use along with the filter. That's what i have learnt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks