Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 19:18   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Had gone yesterday to the Thane Ford dealer to pick up the delivery of friends Figo. There were two NFS at the dealer, both in white although the TD vehicle would be available after 20th July only. Had a look at the interior and found to be pretty good esp the dashboard and the front bucket seats. The seats are very comfy. The meter console looka a bit odd esp the odometer display in orange was putting me off. Even the Voice recognition software was not working. The steering feels absolutely good to hold and I think is the best part of the interiors.

The rear looks more elevated in the real than as seen in the pics. When sitting at the drivers seat if you see at the rear, it feels like someone's blocked the rear. Even the rear tail lamp cluster did not have a great feel. Just my personal opinion.
The SA meanwhile said that they have a good offer in place for existing Classic owners who wish to exchange which I said will think about.
Old 12th July 2011, 19:37   #482
BHPian

I think the pricing would be very similar to new Verna except for topmost variant where Fiesta should be cheaper by some margin.

Any thoughts ?
Old 12th July 2011, 20:08   #483
BHPian

I checked out the car at Metro Ford in Bangalore here, it is there to see only, TD cars will come only by 18.07, also the pricing is not released yet.

IMHO the Fiesta Classic top end diesel still sells for about 10 Lakhs OTR Bangalore, therefore in all probabilities the top end diesel of the new Fiesta will not be less than 11.5 Lakhs OTR Bangalore. Now that is a disappointment. If it is priced at par with the vento, features not withstanding it will fail. It looks and feels smaller than the Vento for sure, marginally though. And there is that VW badge which is hard to beat. If it is priced at least 50K below the Vento variant to variant, it may do well, otherwise for it to be a success it has to be at-least 1Lakh lesser than the Vento, since Vento as it is not very good VFM.
Old 12th July 2011, 20:28   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi
I checked out the car at Metro Ford in Bangalore here, it is there to see only, TD cars will come only by 18.07, also the pricing is not released yet.

IMHO the Fiesta Classic top end diesel still sells for about 10 Lakhs OTR Bangalore, therefore in all probabilities the top end diesel of the new Fiesta will not be less than 11.5 Lakhs OTR Bangalore. Now that is a disappointment. If it is priced at par with the vento, features not withstanding it will fail. It looks and feels smaller than the Vento for sure, marginally though. And there is that VW badge which is hard to beat. If it is priced at least 50K below the Vento variant to variant, it may do well, otherwise for it to be a success it has to be at-least 1Lakh lesser than the Vento, since Vento as it is not very good VFM.
The features offered by Fiesta are better than that of Vento except for the engine. Also there are many minor things like NVH which are far better in Fiesta? Just my opinion.
Old 12th July 2011, 20:29   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Thanks for sharing the brochure buddy. Went through the complete document and each of the features.
Glad to be of help. I hate being information deprived. I had trouble scanning the Glossy brochure. That's the best i could manage
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Congratulations. Looking forward for your ownership report. Did you book the diesel or petrol one? And was it the Titanium one or the Titanium+?
Diesel. The variant subject to confirmation by me after launch. Official booking will be done on 14th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations optimist! Thanks for the details.
And I liked the last line – The sales guy gave you a brochure, and hence you gave him a check
Of the 200 brochures they had got and exhausted he had held on to one for me. You see, the SA and myself were in touch for the past 3 months at least every alternate day and he expected mine to be the first booking. Too bad i could not make it there on Sunday. So I gave him the cheque but subject to confirmation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock22 View Post
Probably I'm the only one here to have booked the petrol version
Thanks. The Titanium petrol which i was lucky enough to sit in and play with the rpm meter a little, was very nice and silent. Regarding it's performance you will be the best judge after a TD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
I just saw the car at Metro Ford Bangalore.
Looks like we missed each other by an hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The SA meanwhile said that they have a good offer in place for existing Classic owners who wish to exchange which I said will think about.
Can you please find out and let us know?

Last edited by optimist : 12th July 2011 at 20:30.
optimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 20:42   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks Optimist for sharing the link, I have downloaded the complete brochure.

I think the new Fiesta is a very well rounded car, the only hitch remains the price now. I have a query to all the technical experts on this forum. The 1.5 L TDCi is having SOHC (Single OverHead Cam shaft - hope I expanded it correctly) with 8 valves, 2 per cylinder, whereas all the new common rail diesels coming in the market are DOHC (Double cam shaft) with 16 valves. Obviously the DOHC with 16 valves would be superior. I want to know from technical experts, how does it matter to the on road performance, FE, driveability, NVH levels etc
I am no expert, far from it, but my 2 cents from what I have understood:

Multi-valve engines as in more than 2 valves per cylinder, breathe better than the 2-valvers and also rev higher - e.g the 1.3 MJD vis a vis 1.4 TDCi or 1.5 K9K.

So typically low rev torque should be better in 2-valvers as compared to multi-valvers,but then top end should be better in the multi-valvers.

In both cases driveability is dependent on gearing and turbo-lag (which is linked to size of the turbo or weight of the turbine blades ). A smaller/lighter turbo means lower lag, but lesser boost which means the power band would be at lower revs and top end power is compromised for driveability in city.

A bigger turbo takes longer to spool up due to the weight of the blades but produces more boost, so the "kick" as in the previous Verna. This combined with 16-valve layout should mean top end power is also not compromised.

DOHC or SOHC is also about how the engine head has been designed as in the valve layout and how they are actuated. Honda used a SOHC 16-valve layout for a very long time, probably cheaper for them to produce, whereas the Euros went to a DOHC layout (more expensive - to manufacture and to repair ).

Hope this helps. All thanks to TBHP !!

Last edited by indivic : 12th July 2011 at 20:45.
indivic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 20:59   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Visited the local Ford showroom in the afternoon. With hardly a soul (customer) to be seen, I had the TD car & the salesman to myself for over an hour. Although (thanks to TBHP) I knew most of the info he had about the car, there was one aspect which I don't think hasn't been discussed here. The button(s) on the remote key can be programmed to do a few alternate tasks. One option the SA showed - was say if you are travelling alone, the unlock button only unlocks the driver's door, the rest three doors remain locked. Although the SA was having trouble to show me the different options, apparently there are 6 more such options.

Overall my view on the car
- Awesome front seats - the sides just hug you. And with a dead pedal at the front, this car would be a joy to drive on long trips!
- The MID is very easy to operate. And showcases very useful info. For example, if any of the doors are not closed properly (or open) a message pops up on the screen. It's small things like these that make the car complete!
- Back seats are bad. In comparison to front seats, real bad! I am afraid these seats would be a pain on those same trips.
- Music system is a beauty. And there are a whole lot of configurations one can do with the bass & treble - it's better than my home system!
- Bluetooth connects without any issues. The voice clarity is perfectly clear. Funnily the system connected to my phone more easily than the SA's!
- The car indicators have a tap system for changing lanes. Consider it to be a more of a marketing gimmick than a feature.
- Didn't find the elevated back that much of a problem; but considering there's a compartment at the back to keep your stuff, I doubt there would be anything to be seen through the center rearview mirror. On an aside note, lovely ORVMs.
- Deep bootspace, plus a small light inside the boot, real thoughtfulness of Ford. But I wonder why they didn't give a backlight.
- In terms of exterior looks, the Verna takes the cake. The NFS looks good, but nothing great about it. The blue color is way much better than the white I saw in the showroom.
- Pune Talera Ford (Yerwada showroom) have already got 120 bookings - mostly in white, blue and silver colors. Expect around 600-800 odd bookings across the city.
- Absolutely no info on the pricing, but they are expecting Ford would price it cheaper than the competition (read: Verna)

Overall, I liked the car a lot. Haven't found anything negative IMO. With my Vento to be delivered sometime this month, man, am I in confusion or what!
I guess this is the other side of having too much of competition!
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 21:26   #488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Probably I'm the only one here to have booked the petrol version
Not bad at all. Nobody has really said anything bad about the petrol. And an ARAI figure of 17kmpl is pretty awesome. If tomorrow I make a decision on the Fiesta, petrol will be the preferred option as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
For me, cruise control (technology, cannot be fit aftermarket) trumps leather interiors (stanley anyone??) any day of the week and twice on Sundays. There is no rule / logic which says a difference of 2 features cannot warrant a new variant. If it’s substantial enough, why not.
Agree, and hope that the price difference is aligned to the difference between two variants. I don’t think leather is standard even in the + variant.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 23:17   #489
Senior - BHPian

It was actually a booking for my friend. I'm still staying with my vento booking at the moment. Diesel waiting period is expected to be more and we were quoted delivery before the second week of september.

By the way, the rear seat armrest is badly designed. Apart from the visible hinges, it is placed a tad too high for comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch

Bala, congratulations on booking the NFS! Glad to see that the wait periods are pretty low. The key would be to book early to avoid the later rush for diesel variants, which you did!
Old 13th July 2011, 00:38   #490
BHPian

Hi Guys! I finally managed to obtain some time to post about my visit to SC Ford in Malad on Sunday. They had a nice launch and unveiling of the car. I saw the NFS in flesh and believe me the car looks much better in flesh than in the pictures. The back does not look hideous as it does in the pictures. Here are a couple of points:

1. Interiors of the car are simply mind blowing. The quality of plastic used everywhere is superb and the center console looks cool.
2. The voice controls were easy to operate. I tried different accents to test the system and it responded correctly to all of them.
3. The front seats are excellent. They are very comfortable. The rear seats are also comfortable. I am 6 feet 2" tall and I had no problem at all in the front two seats. When the driver's seat is all the way back, I think 6 foot person can fit behind. But no more than 6 feet tall. Unlike the Verna whose rear seating is very low and bad, you sit high up in the NFS.
4. I personally did not find the rear armrest to be too high or uncomfortable though I agree the hinges should not have been exposed.
5. The trunk is quite big, it looks bigger than the 430 liters claimed.
6. The steering wheel is top notch. It is a sports car steering wheel, extremely comfortable and sporty.
7. I have noticed some fellow BHPians commenting about the voice recognition feature not working. I believe this is because the whole system needs to be "programmed" before using it. Basically what the SA told me is that a simple procedure needs to be carried out in the beginning and then the whole system gets activated. They had not done this procedure on the demo car.
8. The audio system is out of this world. I cannot believe it is an OEM. There are multiple settings for the bass, treble etc.
9. I must say kudos to Ford for making ABS & Airbags (dual) standard across all variants. I believe one should never compromise on safety and hence am very happy with Ford for doing this. They could have easily put only one airbag in the style model; but they didn't.
10. The rear legroom is pretty good (nothing can beat the Manza here) and I did not feel claustrophobic as I did in the Verna.
11. Build quality overall is excellent. Door thud sound is like a BMW and car feels very sturdy.

The only thing I dislike is the locking mechanism for the car (from the inside).
Overall, I liked the car alot that I ended up paying 50k for booking it.
I was told that the prices would be cheaper than the Verna and deliveries would be sometime in August. I was also told that most of the accessories would not be available immediately because many of them might be imported and Ford is giving priority to manufacturing the cars rather than accessories now.
Just a day more before prices are announced! Lets hope for the best!. I will upload some pictures of the unveiling when I get some more time.
carfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 09:29   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The button(s) on the remote key can be programmed to do a few alternate tasks. One option the SA showed - was say if you are travelling alone, the unlock button only unlocks the driver's door, the rest three doors remain locked.
This feature is present even on the current model Fiesta. You can program the remote to either open all 4 doors with one click or only the driver's door on the first, and all doors on the second click. Maybe that's the reason it hasn't been discussed here as a "new" feature.
Old 13th July 2011, 09:59   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
Overall, I liked the car alot that I ended up paying 50k for booking it.
I was told that the prices would be cheaper than the Verna and deliveries would be sometime in August. I was also told that most of the accessories would not be available immediately because many of them might be imported and Ford is giving priority to manufacturing the cars rather than accessories now.
Just a day more before prices are announced! Lets hope for the best!. I will upload some pictures of the unveiling when I get some more time.
Hello carfreak !

Congrats on booking the new Fiesta !!! In fact the same happened with me on sunday and I too ended up booking the titanium (petrol). Btw, which variant and version have you booked?

Looking forward to some pics... and all the very best
Old 13th July 2011, 11:04   #493
BHPian

Saw the car in flesh on Monday and ended up paying the 50K on Tuesday. I opted for Trend (D). Opting for a diamond white and sea grey in that order.

The space between the bumper and the radiator is the first thing I checked. It is definitely better than Figo but I am not too sure whether it is in the league of classic. Also there is a metal frame of about 4 inch width (not thick) between the bumper and radiator.

Audio system is top class for it to be an OEM, or were we taken for a ride by others. The voice recognition did not work as expected and always played the radio. Probably as somebody mentioned it needs to be programmed to work seamlessly.

Edit: Any idea on the ground clearance since I don't see that mentioned in the brochure

Edit2: The waiting period quoted in Hyderabad (Fortune) is 3-4 months, which is different from what others have mentioned in the forum. Anybody from Hyderabad have booked and have got a different waiting period quoted?

Last edited by nischaltopno : 13th July 2011 at 11:14.
Old 13th July 2011, 11:14   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Hello carfreak !

Congrats on booking the new Fiesta !!! In fact the same happened with me on sunday and I too ended up booking the titanium (petrol). Btw, which variant and version have you booked?

Looking forward to some pics... and all the very best

Hi rock! Congrats to you as well!! I booked the Titanium+ diesel version. My decision however still depends on the price difference between the Titanium & Titanium + models. My guess is that since there are only 2 differences between the two models, the price difference should be not more than 16k.

Another point I forgot to mention in my previous post is that the top end Fiesta will be much cheaper than the top end Verna because the top end Verna has 6 airbags whereas the NFS has 2. Airbags cost quite a lot of money! Ford has really impressed me with the number of features offered even in the style variant.
Old 13th July 2011, 11:18   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Yaa...you should feel happy. I pretty much liked the new Fiesta. However, I would like to suggest you to stay away from Titanium+ variant. No way it is worth spending some extra bucks just for 2 features. Think about it dude.

The customization package is really very good. But, the price might matter. Lets hope for the best.
I usually undertake frequent highway travel, so cruise control is definitely a feature I was looking forward to.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks