Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2011, 18:52   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Toyota is following Tata's strategy from 10 years ago (Indica). Big on space, low rent cabin and competitive price. After Vista, clearly even TATA does not want to follow this strategy anymore.
Tata never had Toyota's engine expertise; Not even today...
Old 30th June 2011, 18:55   #197
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Yes, and I think the Liva with all its limitations, has got the capability to attract a wide spectrum of buyers – from a potential Nano buyer to someone who is considering a Swift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
People buying their first car, young professionals , buyers of a second car for their families etc will find this entry level option from the Toyota stable to be a strong contender for their Rupees.
The Liva's appeal is definitely wide. And, as Noopster added, a Toyota for 4.xx lakhs is enough a reason for many out there. Look at the 5 motivational points I mention in the 2nd post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Did a detect an undercurrent of gentle approval in your review?
Nope. I just don't like the middle-of-the-way engine (that's why its the first what you won't like point). If the Liva had a motor anything like the Etios, it would be at the top of my recommendations (as the Etios is). The engine of a car makes it or breaks it for me. I like how Maruti, being the budget manufacturer that it is, still manages to have the best petrol & the best diesel in the Swift.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 19:13   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Tata never had Toyota's engine expertise; Not even today...
And how is that engine expertise benefiting the Liva customer? The K12 and the Kappa2 are still best in class.

While not the best, note that TATA equips the Vista 1.2 with variable valve timing.
Old 30th June 2011, 19:14   #199
BANNED

Around 1005 Liva have been booked in two days. Read it on IAB.

Seems like good number.

Toyota Etios Liva clocks 1,005 bookings
Old 30th June 2011, 19:35   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
And how is that engine expertise benefiting the Liva customer?
That will be evident 3 years down the line, when I foresee it becoming a leader in it's segment.
Old 30th June 2011, 21:35   #201
BHPian

Zigwheels has an article which makes you feel the Liva is the best thing that ever happened to the hatch segment in India. Another reason why I prefer GTO to anything that these guys ever had.

While the Liva is a gamechanger for sure and will eat into the Maruti pie, but what remains to be seen is the effect of the New Swift that comes into play soon and also the Punto update.

From a discussion with a very senior auto company honcho, a couple of other companies (local and international) are coming out with new platforms over the next 6 months. This segment is the bread and butter for a lot of companies and the challenge will be met head on.
Old 1st July 2011, 00:11   #202
BHPian

Thank you very much for the review GTO.

One thing for me is just that this car is kinda boring. It seems as discribed it has no real USP. Neither are the looks somewhat special (and swift, polo, punto even i20 have proven a market for that) nor are interiors or pricetag (figo) interesting.

To be honest it looks to me like a mix of Logan + Indica and from the interiors it also seems to feel like it. I really dont know who they are going convice as buyers?

as stated I am sure the new swift will properly kill the market once again.
Old 1st July 2011, 01:19   #203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Zigwheels has an article which makes you feel the Liva is the best thing that ever happened to the hatch segment in India. Another reason why I prefer GTO to anything that these guys ever had.
Don't be surprised. Check out the direct link to the Etios and the Liva on their website banner. No prizes for guessing why those links made it there!
Old 1st July 2011, 12:14   #204
Senior - BHPian

Wow, after reading zigwheels review, it seems like the editor is marrying toyota. The comparison to all cars is so one sided, nothing but 'space! space! space!'. When it comes to Micra, then he is all 'price! price!'. Funny how he dodges questions about interior quality and engine growl. 'Though this engine is good, look at space! Though that car's space is good, look at price!' Yuck.

I absolutely love Teambhp's review. Good to see an unbiased view of things, rather than just looking at profits from companies. Keep it up GTO and team!
Old 1st July 2011, 12:18   #205
BHPian

I ran into the Liva commercial on TV yesterday. Though I missed the inital part, the focus of the advert is unmistakable. Liva is being targeted to the facebook generation effervescent youth. Given the performance characteristics of the car and the strengths of Toyota, one would expect the Liva to be targeted to the practicality oriented family person. Etios was squarely positioned there, despite its immense FTD factor. Of course, Liva is meant to take on Swift. But can it live upto the challenge in the latter's den? It will be interesting to see the fate of this positioning.

For now, Liva appears to be headed for a more sedate market response - 1000 bookings in two days of launch vis-a-vis 3000 for Etios. I feel that the car is somewhat overpriced. Variant wise, a difference of about 90 k for a smaller engine as compared to Etios is not adequate. It will also be interesting to see how the new bigger Swift gets priced.
Old 1st July 2011, 14:30   #206
BHPian

This review was fun to read. Thank you.

Toyota's plant looks like it could pass even an FDA test! Looks spic and span. That empty engine bay is a real downer. I remember how I felt when I opened the hood of the Punto 1.2 Active, just not inspiring. The diesel should be a fun car for the Liva in my opinion. Toyota's finish inside the cabin seemed nice overall too.

Further, while I felt that the Etios looked hideous from all angles, the Liva doesn't. The pricing seems aggressive, but the non-power steering option is far fetched. Who'd want to buy a hatch like that without power steering? 800's, altos and old tiny cars are fun to drive without PS.

Is it possible for you to tell us how you managed to get a full tour of the toyota plant? As well as TD their car on their own test track?

Thanks!
Old 1st July 2011, 15:59   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Wow, after reading zigwheels review, it seems like the editor is marrying toyota. The comparison to all cars is so one sided, nothing but 'space! space! space!'. When it comes to Micra, then he is all 'price! price!'. Funny how he dodges questions about interior quality and engine growl. 'Though this engine is good, look at space! Though that car's space is good, look at price!' Yuck.

I absolutely love Teambhp's review. Good to see an unbiased view of things, rather than just looking at profits from companies. Keep it up GTO and team!
Once there was this question on a "what car" segment in Zigwheels {Times of India addition}. The person wanted to choose between a tata indigo CS and the swfit DZIRE. Zigwheels editor says choose any one it doesnt matter.
Any tom, dick and harry knows that the MJD is far superior than the old indica's diesel engine. So much for an auto magazine editor!
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:11   #208
BHPian

i saw a blue Liva being tested on the road yesterday (here in Bangalore). Wonder why are they still masking the badges & chromes and driving it around?
Old 2nd July 2011, 23:24   #209
BHPian

Thanks GTO for another wonderful review. As far as the looks the concerned Liva's looks are acceptable. But I am disappointed with the engine. Of course I have not driven Liva but from the review it appears it wont be fun to drive. Yes I know the engine is meant for FE but then driving is also an essential part. I might frown for 5-10 mins at the fuel station if my FE is bad but then I spent 30-40 mins driving on road during which I want my car to be fast and agile. The interiors though a bit odd are fine for me. Etios might do well because the competition is not that fierce. But Liva might find it hard to compete with other car makers.
Old 3rd July 2011, 00:13   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Thanks GTO for another wonderful review. As far as the looks the concerned Liva's looks are acceptable. But I am disappointed with the engine. Of course I have not driven Liva but from the review it appears it wont be fun to drive. Yes I know the engine is meant for FE but then driving is also an essential part. I might frown for 5-10 mins at the fuel station if my FE is bad but then I spent 30-40 mins driving on road during which I want my car to be fast and agile. The interiors though a bit odd are fine for me. Etios might do well because the competition is not that fierce. But Liva might find it hard to compete with other car makers.
Well, higher fuel prices are hitting people hard. I wish it was only for the few mins at the fuel station!!

Most folks will continue buy a Swift ZXi/i20 Asta/Polo HL rather than Liva V or VX at the top end of the B segment. G or G-SP will be the most selling model and its the likes of Ritz/i10/Fabia that will feel considerable heat. Ritz ZXi is priced (undiscounted price) around the same as Liva G-SP. i10 Asta with discounts is around that too.

J model is strictly for the under-budget and I think they have better choice too unless they are die-hard Toyota fans.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks