Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 22:22   #226
BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review

Despite reading quite a few of your reviews, still blown away by the level of detail that you bring. Thanks again for a wonderfully detailed review for our benefit.

Driving on that test-track must have been seriously fun though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No problem with vibrations or the like though. The cabin is free of any feel of engine / drivetrain movement.
I'd like to caveat that. My Etios - which just crossed 700 kms / 2 months started off as completely vibration free. Started developing some level of vibration (albeit mostly at idle) at around 100 kms. Now the engine noise and vibration level at idle has reached serious proportions to the extent that it feels like a well-used diesel - especially after a long drive. The wheel and armrest visibly shudder and one can feel the vibration in the seat.

The service centre says that this level of vibration is "normal" for the car - even made me sit in another Etios to compare. Guess its an issue with the engine mounts and dampening system.

The engine does smooth out above 1100-1200 rpm, so am learning to live with it. Also, the Liva has a different/smaller engine - so maybe it won't face this problem.
gautam109 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 00:33   #227
BHPian

Now that's really bad news.But I've already completed 100 Kms in my Etios and I don't feel any such vibrations.My car actually feels much better than the TD car.

The Etios that GTO reviewed was a couple of thousand kms old and I cant remember him reporting any such issues with Etios either.I think you should elevate this issue.
fast&furious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 07:52   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam109 View Post
I'd like to caveat that. My Etios - which just crossed 700 kms / 2 months started off as completely vibration free. Started developing some level of vibration (albeit mostly at idle) at around 100 kms. Now the engine noise and vibration level at idle has reached serious proportions to the extent that it feels like a well-used diesel - especially after a long drive. The wheel and armrest visibly shudder and one can feel the vibration in the seat.

The service centre says that this level of vibration is "normal" for the car - even made me sit in another Etios to compare. Guess its an issue with the engine mounts and dampening system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
Now that's really bad news.But I've already completed 100 Kms in my Etios and I don't feel any such vibrations.My car actually feels much better than the TD car.
Gautam, fast&furious. Thanks for sharing! Hope to see a comprehensive ownership report from both of you. Will help the forum tremendously.
Old 5th July 2011, 09:27   #229
BHPian

Another excellent review GTO!

In my opinion, a car should have its speedo, rpm meter, gauzes etc ahead of the steering wheel where the driver can look at them without having to take his eyes off the road. I am not sure of the safety of these 'centrally mounted' things. And in most of the cars that have this setting, the driver side dash-top is usually boringly empty
Old 5th July 2011, 10:44   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
In my opinion, a car should have its speedo, rpm meter, gauzes etc ahead of the steering wheel where the driver can look at them without having to take his eyes off the road. I am not sure of the safety of these 'centrally mounted' things. And in most of the cars that have this setting, the driver side dash-top is usually boringly empty
"The first thing that catches the eye is the positioning of the rather jazzy instrument panel on the middle of the dashboard. This allows the driver to see the speed and other data with his peripheral vision without taking his eyes off the road."
These are the golden words of a reviewer in Deccan Chronicle, one Mr.Murad Ali Baig who claims to be an automotive expert and the former editor of a national magazine.
Old 5th July 2011, 11:00   #231
BHPian

Thats absolute crap, IMHO. Maybe I am one of those who is reluctant to change, maybe I am used to seeing the instruments below but not out of my line of sight, but I strongly believe they are just a fad! Car makers dont really know what to do with the empty space infront of the driver! And peripheral vision is much better when its below rather than sideways, I think. I didnt like it when it first came out, I still dont like it.
I didnt like the Figo when it first appeared, I now own it. Thats the difference!
Old 5th July 2011, 14:56   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam109 View Post

Hey Gautam, sorry to hear about the problem. Btw, what does the service centre mean by 'normal'? It's not in my car, at least, not yet. It wasn't there in the TD car I drove and had done ~3500 kms. I made my final purchase decision based on this experience of NVH refinement. If I want to sum up why people buy a Toyota, it is because it "drives like new, forever". Any post-delivery issue/problem, however small, is not normal. The noise wasn't there in your car either at the time of delivery. Please, do take up/convey your concern to Toyota, if the service centre fails to resolve it.
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 19:12   #233
BHPian

^^Was a bit OT in my above post. Coming back to the thread, Toyota will have to make sure that such quality niggles are resolved immediately. It would be all over for them if their core competence is compromised. Are you tuned in, Toyota?
Old 6th July 2011, 09:41   #234
BHPian

Toyota has got their hands "dirty" by entering the mass market segment with the Etios & Liva. In this segment, volumes & people's expectations are high and pricing is always sensitive.I hope Toyota addresses these niggles ASAP so that people do not compare the Etios/Liva with a Tata (no offense to any Tata owners). Expectations from any Toyota vehicle will be high considering the brand name and reputation of the company, even if it is a 4L rupee car.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:07   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Toyota has got their hands "dirty" by entering the mass market segment with the Etios & Liva. In this segment, volumes & people's expectations are high and pricing is always sensitive.I hope Toyota addresses these niggles ASAP so that people do not compare the Etios/Liva with a Tata (no offense to any Tata owners). Expectations from any Toyota vehicle will be high considering the brand name and reputation of the company, even if it is a 4L rupee car.
+1 to that. The few Etios ownership threads on this forum reveal that the Etios is not really niggle-free which is unlike a Toyota. Issues like rattles from the door, poor FE, excessive engine noise and vibration seem to be common issues.
We will know the real picture only after a few years but the initial signs are unlike Toyota.
Old 6th July 2011, 21:02   #236
Senior - BHPian

First Drive - Toyota Liva

My colleague took delivery of his White Liva this afternoon, which has been purchased for his wife - I understand it is among the first few delivered here in Cochin. Got to drive it for a while in the evening.
My initial impressions of a low cost/slightly flimsy build remains. But I did find quite a few positives because of which I think they have a potential winner esp if they launch a diesel version quickly.
The things I liked were -
Space - the seating was really comfortable. The front seats were good and the rear seats had good thigh support, leg space and width.
Gear - shifting was a breeze.
Steering - light and easy.

The things I didn't like --

An overall light & flimsy feel which was accentuated while closing the doors.
A slight judder and sluggishness while taking off.
Boot space a trifle too small - I expected Figo-like space here.

Hopefully in the coming days, I'll get to drive it again and update my impressions and maybe get some data on FE.

Note from Support: Post moved to this thread. Please continue the discussion here. Thanks

Last edited by .anshuman : 6th July 2011 at 22:13. Reason: see note in post
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 21:11   #237
BHPian

I had my small drive on the Liva too a couple of days ago. It was a journo car and was the top end petrol model which should cost about 6.6 or so on road. This is certainly not a bad price for a car that comes with decent interior trim, music system, a body kit & other top end peripherals.

The car felt easy to drive & was very peppy thanks to the brilliant power to weight ratio. The plus points were the initial pickup & the comfort of the interiors. The seats were good & accommodating. Everything important was within reach. Thr boot was a tad small but that's ok for me atleast.

The down points however was the suspension set up. I think this car might handle well thanks to some stuff suspension but a regular Joe buying this car as a family car might not be too happy feeling every bump on the road. The build quality certainly has been down graded to fit the car into the cost structure. I guess even Toyota has to bend over once in a way

As regards Value for money I'd give the Liva a thums-UP. If someone buys the middle variant and pimps it up, that wud be the wisest thing to do with this car.

Cheers
Old 7th July 2011, 00:30   #238
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Review GTO

I am kind of disappointed by this car, It looks like a bigger Alto (especially from the rear) & the interiors are pretty sad. The dashboard design looks weird.

I think the only a couple of thing would work in favor of this car, Toyota brand name, Engine & interior space
Old 7th July 2011, 09:56   #239
BHPian

Awesome review GTO. I think by far this is one the best reviews methods I've seen anywhere, both online and print.

Half of my design work revolving around vehicle craftsmanship, I simply loved the images showcasing all the little details of the vehicle. It throws way more light onto the detailing and back end engineering of this vehicle. Toyota has done a decent job with the Etios vehicles, not great though.

But like someone earlier on had mentioned, the Qualis was similarly developed and it worked wonders. Having driven the car just once, I can't entirely base my decision on a hunch, but I'd be happy to put my money down on this vehicle.

Cheers
Old 7th July 2011, 15:28   #240
Senior - BHPian

Comparing the "little one" from Toyota agaist the market leader (swift, what else), I simply cannot see what this car has to offer:

Looks - (subjective but.......) the Swift takes it.
Engine performance - Swift
FE - cannot comment, but they both should not be too far apart in a real world.
Diesel option - Swift
Handling / sporty-ish feel - Swift (basis GTO's comments)
A$$ - no contest, Swift again

The only plus I see for the liva is:

Toyota brand - but, it is being touted as the "cheapest Toyota ever built". This statement, IMO takes that "snob / badge value" out of the equation.
Space - Its quite clear Etios is the winner here. But if this were the "make it or break it" parameter, Indica Vista should have been the market leader, no questions asked.

I have my doubts it will sell. Initially maybe, but I doubt that the petrol Liva alone will stand its ground for a long time.

And lets not forget, the new Swift is just around the corner too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks