Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:31   #436
BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review

My Liva got sideswiped by a Maruti Omni Ambulance yesterday noon near Garvebhavipalya signal on Hosur road. I was driving towards Electronic City and had just crossed the Garvebhavipalya signal. This Maruti Omni ambulance (not with sirens ON) tried overtaking me close to my left, and before completing the overtaking maneuver swerved to the right hitting his rear door on my bumper near to the front left tyre. He was in no rush and we both pulled over to the side to assess the damages. The bumper got detached on the left side, but there wasn't any visible cracks. The Omni guy argued that he put on his blinkers and I should have braked. I asked him why he swerved right before completely overtaking me and how would I notice the blinkers when he is beside my car. He was in no mood to accept his fault. As I am not fluent in Kannada I let him go understanding there is no point in arguing.

Trend automobiles is very close to where the incident happened and immediately took the car there. I was confident that they would repair it. But on a closer inspection it was found that the bumper broke and got detached. So replacing the bumper was the only real solution. They did a temporary fix though using a metal wire.

I visited Nandi Toyota at Kudlu gate on the way and showed the damages. They quoted approximately Rs.2500/- for the new bumper and around Rs.6000/- for painting and fixing. Thought it is exorbitant and told them I would get the painting and fixing done outside. They persuaded me telling that outside paint job will be of low quality and I can claim insurance for the replacement. I have 35% no claim bonus so decided against using my insurance. Called Trend automobiles again to enquire about the painting charges, and they promised to do painting and fixing at Rs.3100/-. So decided to collect the new bumper from Nandi, and do the painting and fixing job from Trend. The part will arrive tomorrow only as per the SA.

The damage photos
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-wp_20150121_001.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-wp_20150121_002-copy.jpg

Temporary fix
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-wp_20150121_011.jpg
Old 16th February 2015, 15:52   #437
Distinguished - BHPian

Please let me know that if Toyota has armed the Liva with driver + passenger airbags in the base model (petrol) too? The car is priced at 4.98L Ex-Showroom. The website is not very clear on the matter.

Thanks.
Old 16th February 2015, 16:04   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Please let me know that if Toyota has armed the Liva with driver + passenger airbags in the base model (petrol) too? The car is priced at 4.98L Ex-Showroom. The website is not very clear on the matter.

Thanks.
As per Toyota website, all the models - starting from J have Dual airbags (Driver and Passenger). See here - http://www.toyotabharat.com/cars/new.../spec_org.aspx
manduks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 16:28   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduks View Post
As per Toyota website, all the models - starting from J have Dual airbags (Driver and Passenger). See here - http://www.toyotabharat.com/cars/new.../spec_org.aspx
Thanks Manduks. I just had a look at it. Good on Toyota to offer them. My respect for them has just grown.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 20:31   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Talked with the service head in Nippon Toyota...
Hi Amalji,

I remember you had upgraded the engine mounts on your Liva with hydraulic ones. Was it at Nippon, Cochin ?

I tried asking the guys at Nandi Toyota Bangalore, they have no clue about the mounts being upgraded to hydraulic ones. The SA and the mech who was handling my cars regular service were blinking and was saying that all cars including Innovas run on rubber mounts.

I left it at that, next week I am traveling to Kochi, I can get it done from Nippon since they have done it once. By the way I have a petrol Liva. I am facing some vibes at idle, wondering if this mod is possible, and if its effective to cut out the vibes.
Old 28th April 2015, 10:43   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Hi Amalji,

I remember you had upgraded the engine mounts on your Liva with hydraulic ones. Was it at Nippon, Cochin ?
Yes, it was done at Nippon Toyota, Kalamassery, Kochi ( There are 2 Nippon Toyotas in Kochi - one at Kalamassery and one at Nettoor )

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
I tried asking the guys at Nandi Toyota Bangalore, they have no clue about the mounts being upgraded to hydraulic ones. The SA and the mech who was handling my cars regular service were blinking and was saying that all cars including Innovas run on rubber mounts.

I left it at that, next week I am traveling to Kochi, I can get it done from Nippon since they have done it once. By the way I have a petrol Liva. I am facing some vibes at idle, wondering if this mod is possible, and if its effective to cut out the vibes.
Just talked with the service lead of Nippon Toyota, Kochi. He told that he is not sure whether the mounts were changed for the Petrol engine. He also suggested that it's better to debug the root cause in the case of Petrol engine rather than to change the mounts because The Liva Petrol engine vibrations are very less and mounts doesn't have a significant impact on it. So, what he suggested was to have a check up done and then plan what to do. You can talk to Vinod ( the support lead in Nippon Toyota, Kalamassery. Just let him know that Amal of team-bhp referred )
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 18:10   #442
Senior - BHPian

Just had a look at demo Liva. The sales executive adjusted the steering height, and next thing I notice is loose plastic cover over the steering rack. The level of fit is off putting. Considering that the car hasn'teven left the showroom. Can Liva handle the abuse of our roads in long term?
Old 29th April 2015, 02:59   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Just had a look at demo Liva. The sales executive adjusted the steering height, and next thing I notice is loose plastic cover over the steering rack. The level of fit is off putting. Considering that the car hasn'teven left the showroom. Can Liva handle the abuse of our roads in long term?
I've never noticed any loose parts there. May be something to do with that particular car.

Fit and Finish will last the distance, if used within cities or normal highway runs. I have completed about 40K kms and I have been driving the car on some treacherous terrain in interior Nilgiris and Western ghats. The car has some minor rattles while going over rough patches. But otherwise feels perfectly alright.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 11:13   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Must be some problem with that demo car. I have not observed any loose part at mentioned spot.
You can rest assure about car handling abuse. Problems with Liva - like all Toyota cars - are few and far between. You will not be stranded on road side unless you abuse it with cruel intentions.
I find newest version aesthetically pleasing - then again - it is a personal choice.
Old 29th April 2015, 19:45   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The durability of the fit is one of the best for Etios/Liva.

I've been using an Etios for 72000 kms ( 3.5 years ) and my mother has been using a Liva for the same period. No durability issues at all. And the only unplanned replacement done on the car till now is a blown fuse and blown bulbs. It has taken all the abuse that I've given the car. No suspension rattles, no steering rattles whatsoever. It was a huge change for me switching from Maruti family ( zen, esteem, swift ) where I could predict a damage somewhere every time I blast it on the potholed roads of Kerala ).
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 21:12   #446
PCS
BHPian

Quote:
The durability of the fit is one of the best for Etios/Liva.

I've been using an Etios for 72000 kms ( 3.5 years ) and my mother has been using a Liva for the same period. No durability issues at all. And the only unplanned replacement done on the car till now is a blown fuse and blown bulbs. It has taken all the abuse that I've given the car. No suspension rattles, no steering rattles whatsoever. It was a huge change for me switching from Maruti family ( zen, esteem, swift ) where I could predict a damage somewhere every time I blast it on the potholed roads of Kerala ).

You are awesome Amalji... I have been following your thread on the so much bashed product... By your comments this vehicle has some un revealed potential which market never realized... Even I checked the new LIVA in showroom... Man what a spacious car with interiors that's much appealing now...not to mention about toyota Diesel engine, awesome service and many more

Last edited by PCS : 29th April 2015 at 21:13.
Old 10th May 2015, 12:24   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it was done at Nippon Toyota, Kalamassery, Kochi ( There are 2 Nippon Toyotas in Kochi - one at Kalamassery and one at Nettoor )
A quick question Amalji. What difference does the hydraulic mount make? I was talking to the service executive at Toyota and he said that changing the mount was possible. But he was not sure why would I need to change.
Old 10th May 2015, 14:15   #448
BHPian

Quote:

This is a common problem with Liva. Ours had this from day 1. It does pop back in when pressed into place, only to dislodge when our knee hits it or something of that sort. Mind you, no rattles or whatsoever because of this. Except for this one irritant the other plastics have been behaving extremely well.

We find the suspension and space to be a couple of notches above our Elite i20. Another good part is the low cost of maintenance as well as the minimal turbo lag. The engine, though sounds gruff outside the car, does feel so eager on the road . Couple it with those excellent brakes and meaty steering wheel, feels fun to drive. If only Toyota had given it a more pleasing dashboard and better NVH....
Old 10th May 2015, 18:47   #449
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone, i am going to a pick a liva V for Rs 3.78 lacs tomorrow. This is 23 k run, regularly serviced and 2011 make.
THe fact that the car had abs, airbags was sort of the usp for me. I will try to push the asking amount down by another 10k, but chances are slim.
Anyway what sort of mileage can i expect for urban runabouts?
Old 12th May 2015, 10:24   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi everyone, i am going to a pick a liva V for Rs 3.78 lacs tomorrow. This is 23 k run, regularly serviced and 2011 make.
THe fact that the car had abs, airbags was sort of the usp for me. I will try to push the asking amount down by another 10k, but chances are slim.
Anyway what sort of mileage can i expect for urban runabouts?

You can expect anything between 13 kmpl to 14.5 kmpl in city and between 14.5kmpl to 17.5kmpl on highways.
Do take it for a proper test drive in diverse road conditions - preferrably with expert friend before buying!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks