Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2022, 11:57   #3706
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh Chengalp View Post
Hi Blogslogger/ fellow bhpians,

Have a similar query so replying to your post.

My 2013 Jetta TDI recently got the 1.2L Km service done @ PPS Hyderabad. My odo is at 81K. Got the service, timing belt, brake pads(all 4) and battery replaced at close to INR 90K. The dealership gave an estimate for further repairs :
1. Link rods (suspension)
2. C Mounting, Rod bushes
3. Front stud oil leakage
4. Clutch Kit (I hear a slight clutter only when starting to press clutch)
5. Fly wheel

When asked for estimate he quotes around 2L figure. I believe suspension costs nearing to 1L and clutch/flywheel costs close to 1L.

Are these reasonable ? Anyone got these done at an FNG in Hyderabad reliably ? I really want to get it done in the authorized center as have never given the car out but 2L seems a bit steep and was wondering if there are qualified FNG folks in Hyderabad who can do the evaluation. I live in west Hyd. Really love the car but am worried it doesnt turn into a sink pit for repairs(thought I doubt it as I've not spent on anything other than regular service). Also battling with the quandary of replacing the car... Sorry for the banter and appreciate any leads on FNG and suggestions on the way forward...
Nothing to be surprised about here. Dealers have fat margins on suspension components and clutch is what I have noticed atleast with VW. I have changed the exact same parts on my Jetta and here are the details:

- Link Rods: Spent around 5-6K and this too is the maximum one should pay I feel.

- C mounting: I believe this is the engine bed mount. Again, it shouldn't cost more than 8-10K for a Febi branded mount (Febi is an OE supplier to many companies and has good repute in the Aftermarket)

- Front dampers: Both front dampers will need to be changed. A pair of Sachs dampers (same supplier as OE) costs around 12-14K max. Strut mounts and bearings will be another 3-4K. A new set of bushes for the control arm would be around 4K.

- Clutch Kit: The chatter you hear while releasing the clutch is the flywheel. A complete overhaul costs around 45K including labour with the flywheel. I have compiled an entire thread on it. Used LUK which is an OE supplier to VW again.

My advise is to do a complete overhaul for the front suspension. Don't change parts in bits and pieces. If the link rods are shot, there's a good chance the anti roll bar is also shot. Change the anti roll bar too (you don't get bushes separately for the Jetta ARB. The entire unit has to be changed). You can get a Borsehung branded ARB for 6800 bucks which isn't a bad deal at all. If the ARB is worn and you simply put new link rods, the new link rods will also be destroyed in a very short period of time.

As for replacing the car or retaining it, the car will demand maintenance from now (might be unscheduled or could be running repairs). You can replace it at this juncture if you want, but you will need to invest some serious amounts of cash to do so. It's a lot cheaper to simply have all these things done at an FNG and retain the car like I have done. Just make sure you go to an FNG of good repute who has worked on these before.

Thanks

Last edited by vishy76 : 19th February 2022 at 11:59.
vishy76 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 21:50   #3707
BHPian

As Laura and Jetta has several common parts, sharing cost for some of the parts that I've replaced for my Laura in last one year, this might help. Price quoted from a friends spare part shop here in Gurgaon.

VW-OEM Water Pump- Rs. 2130/-
Sachs Clutch Set with Dual mass Flywheel- Rs. 34,000/-
Sachs Rear Shock Absorbers- Rs. 12,000/- Pair
Sachs Front Shock Absorbers- Rs. 10,700/- Pair
VW OEM Link road - Rs. 4400/- Pair (approx.)

Labor for all the above shouldn't be more than 10k. Do your maths and decide FNG or a dealership.
varoon9999 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 00:40   #3708
BHPian

Stick to the ASC in this case. End to end savings with switching to FNG aren't more and the struggle of finding someone really "competent" is a challenge.

The good part of sticking to ASC is you can hold them questionable if anything goes wrong post install (very unlikely for anything to go wrong in usual straightforward jobs as these, but yeah). If the bill is huge, ask for a part discount. Negotiate and get it done. Make sure they do not inflate the bills with additional value added services. PPS has a very bad habit of inflating the services bills with all the value added services thereby inflating the bill which is already quite inflated.

Hyd, however, has decent(ish) options outside of VW incase you choose that way.
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 20:18   #3709
BHPian

It's really difficult to work on older German cars because of the fragile plastic and hardened rubber parts. These things can break very easily while removing or working on them and they will cost a lot to replace. For that reason, a lot of good FNGs won't even consider working on them. This happens in ASC too, but since they have parts lying around, they will replace it without billing.
One experienced BMW mechanic told me that it's quite common to break plastic parts or hoses while working on older cars and there is no other way on it.
That being said, there are highly skilled FNGs which are equipped similar to ASS.

I suggest you to take a look at Man&Machine, Hyderabad.
They deal with all sorts of premium brands.
Their Instagram is a treat for enthusiasts where they post regular diagnostic reports and how they solved the issues. They seem to be well equipped with skills and tools required to work on these cars. Definitely worth considering.

Last edited by sac23 : 20th February 2022 at 20:22. Reason: Typo
sac23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 16:16   #3710
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

My Jetta has just finished the 40000km mark and 5 years. This is a unique problem which I haven't really come across on this forum. So any insights on how to repair it is appreciated or please share if you have faced something similar.

The MIB2 unit has been having issues with Ghost touches and non-responsiveness for a few months now. Since it was liveable I did not bother to get it checked before. But now, I can see visible signs of the LCD screen showing leakage. I have no plans to buy a new unit as it is very expensive at 45 or 50k as quoted by VW ASC. The other option is to just replace the LCD screen and possibly the associated board but I have no idea where to source this from.

The unit on my car is made by Technisat and I have attached an image which shows the leakage on the left top corner and the weird pattern at the bottom of the screen. I have also spent additional money on getting the unit equipped with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, hence the added hesitation in replacing this unit.

TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220224-4.02.57-pm.jpeg  

Vegitocat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 17:53   #3711
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegitocat View Post
Hi BHPians,

My Jetta has just finished the 40000km mark and 5 years. This is a unique problem which I haven't really come across on this forum. So any insights on how to repair it is appreciated or please share if you have faced something similar.

The MIB2 unit has been having issues with Ghost touches and non-responsiveness for a few months now. Since it was liveable I did not bother to get it checked before. But now, I can see visible signs of the LCD screen showing leakage. I have no plans to buy a new unit as it is very expensive at 45 or 50k as quoted by VW ASC. The other option is to just replace the LCD screen and possibly the associated board but I have no idea where to source this from.

The unit on my car is made by Technisat and I have attached an image which shows the leakage on the left top corner and the weird pattern at the bottom of the screen. I have also spent additional money on getting the unit equipped with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, hence the added hesitation in replacing this unit.

TIA!
This is a known issue. The technisat MIB on the Jetta is glitchy in general. I have had a friend of mine facing CD drive issues while another had an issue where a part of the touchscreen was paralysed. It wouldn't work no matter what he did.

The latter got in touch with German DNA I believe (I have no affiliation to this firm BTW), and had only the touchscreen replaces for around 12-15K. The entire panel was replaced. You can contact them once and enquire.
vishy76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 18:27   #3712
Senior - BHPian

Here is me, 40k and 5 years Jetta TSI CL. I am the one whose screen is paralysed 1 inch on left, right and top. And as you said LCD is leaking (!) through the gap in the bottom. Also Technisat Poland unit. My VW service people gave up on it. No repair and no replacement. I am living with it. As I haven't done any upgrade in it, I don't plan to so anything with it. Functionally all works fine. Importantly park pilot is ok. Right knob has some menu functions that helps.

GermanDNA Kochi quoted 24k for screen replacement, but I can't send it to Kochi. You may try them.
RajaTaurus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 23:06   #3713
BHPian

Quote:
Here is me, 40k and 5 years Jetta TSI CL. I am the one whose screen is paralysed 1 inch on left, right and top. And as you said LCD is leaking (!) through the gap in the bottom. Also Technisat Poland unit. My VW service people gave up on it. No repair and no replacement. I am living with it. As I haven't done any upgrade in it, I don't plan to so anything with it. Functionally all works fine. Importantly park pilot is ok. Right knob has some menu functions that helps.
Happy to meet another BHPian Jetta owner from TN with a similar issue. I was sure I could get the screen replaced. VW ASC pointed me to an aftermarket shop that deals in this but unfortunately he only dealt either with the units that came in the Polo/Vento or the older MIB unit in the pre-2016 Jetta that was made by Wistron. He did quote me about 8k to do the screen replacement with the board. Looks like these screens are made with a 5 year lifespan.

Quote:
This is a known issue. The technisat MIB on the Jetta is glitchy in general. I have had a friend of mine facing CD drive issues while another had an issue where a part of the touchscreen was paralysed. It wouldn't work no matter what he did.

The latter got in touch with German DNA I believe (I have no affiliation to this firm BTW), and had only the touchscreen replaces for around 12-15K. The entire panel was replaced. You can contact them once and enquire.
Thanks, I only wish there was a 6 yr warranty on the Jetta which would have covered this. I wonder if the RCD 330 units on the Polo/Vento hold up after 5 years.
Vegitocat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 23:24   #3714
BHPian

My friend had this issue in his jetta a while back, we thought it was due to water entry in the screen. His touch screen was completely unresponsive and had the exact leakage pattern as OP's.
Old 8th March 2022, 06:56   #3715
BHPian

I recently got a 2015 TDI AT from another bhpian.

Any advice on trustworthy and knowledgeable FNG in Bangalore for Jetta related work? I have the 120K service (water pump + timing kit, regular service) coming up in May/June. Currently fully serviced at VW Rajajinagar. However, i dont like the fact that they don't allow to let you "see" the work happening which raises doubts. Yes, i have trust issues.

Please advice if you have encountered a trusted FNG for VW.
Old 8th March 2022, 07:35   #3716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
I recently got a 2015 TDI AT from another bhpian.

Any advice on trustworthy and knowledgeable FNG in Bangalore for Jetta related work? I have the 120K service (water pump + timing kit, regular service) coming up in May/June. Currently fully serviced at VW Rajajinagar. However, i dont like the fact that they don't allow to let you "see" the work happening which raises doubts. Yes, i have trust issues.

Please advice if you have encountered a trusted FNG for VW.
For Bangalore I can suggest -
Engineering Exponent at Whitefield - personally tried for Octavia brake upgrades, ABS sensor etc and very happy. They also deal with Wolf Moto remaps. They deal with lot of VAG cars. Jayant (owner) is very down to earth and knowledgeable.

Other than that, based on Insta posts and word of mouth I have heard some good reviews of below. They also deal with a lot with VAG and other German premium

Carsmith Motors (near HSR)
Bay 6 (Sarjapur Road)
Thrust Automotive (Hennur)

Last edited by sunikkat : 8th March 2022 at 07:37.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 22:11   #3717
BHPian

Got my Jetta serviced at BU Bhandari VW. It was 7th year/105k service however SA said that break fluid change is not required and it doesn't show in their system. Despite my insistence, he was confident that it's not required.

As per my understanding, break fluid change is required after 3 years of purchase and then every two years. Last change happened during 5th year service.

Am I missing something? Should I visit workshop again and get it changed?
Old 20th March 2022, 10:00   #3718
BHPian

Two cents from a past VW GT TDi owner. Find a good FNG n stick to it after your car's warranty. You can save lots. All these issues seem pretty straight forward.

Water pump + timing belt,
Boodmo parts for glove box,
Linkrod / suspension bushes / suspension checks

Yes you won't sell this beauty any time soon if you even try to look for options! So keep 'er n take care of 'er mate.
Old 21st March 2022, 10:43   #3719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Krish View Post
Two cents from a past VW GT TDi owner. Find a good FNG n stick to it after your car's warranty. You can save lots. All these issues seem pretty straight forward.

Water pump + timing belt,
Boodmo parts for glove box,
Linkrod / suspension bushes / suspension checks

Yes you won't sell this beauty any time soon if you even try to look for options! So keep 'er n take care of 'er mate.
Any good FNG you can recommend for my Jetta. Central Bangalore if possible. Thanks.
Old 21st March 2022, 21:40   #3720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Any good FNG you can recommend for my Jetta. Central Bangalore if possible. Thanks.
I actually did not do much of an FNG visit but Bay6 in Sarjapur Road has good reviews and I found them pretty knowledgeable. Being a division of Code6, you might see some popping n crackling Octavia VRSes there. Just dont get too tempted to code6 your car too
Saint_Krish is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks