Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2021, 18:34   #3631
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Finally got myself 2015 Jetta TDI AT last month.

the left headlight is not working & i am getting error "Check Front Leaf Dipped Beam" i tried replacing the bulb but still get the same error, went to the Thane Bosh Service center (experience with VW Service has been bad) they checked everything & were able to get the headlight back without replacing the bulb, but said they've fixed it for now & it may not last long, after a few days i get the same message again.
As per Bosch the Headlight Control Module / Unit has to be replaced which would cost 18-20k, wanted to check with Jetta owners if this needs replacement & if the cost valid or i need some other fix.
kkunal.shah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 11:15   #3632
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this. Even I had been thinking of replacing the DRL halogen bulbs of my Jetta with nice looking white coloured LEDs since long now. Last year, I had ordered a pair from AliExpress but thanks to the lockdown being imposed, they never got delivered. Some good quality ones on AE were available for Rs.700-800/- which I think were pretty reasonable. Later, disappointed with the halogens, I decided to re-look for LEDs on Amazon and local markets but no luck. So now, very recently, I tried searching again and have found a few P21 BA1156 DRLs on amazon.in. I have ordered a pair and will let everyone know how the experience and quality is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
So, after months of looking at the
error light on the MID of our Jetta due to the failure of the right side halogen DRL, I got the bulbs replaced. Went with the LED option and got it via this link-

https://www.amazon.in/iJDMTOY-Replac.../dp/B011688JTI

I was thinking of asking someone to get it from the states(it is available for 18$) but due to the current situation, didn't see that happening for the next 1 year and thus ordered it for double the price from the above link.

Here are the results-

Damn! The Jetta is a smart looking car man.

Attachment 2144311

Close ups-

Attachment 2144308

Attachment 2144309

At the parking lot-

Attachment 2144312

Removing the bulb is definitely a task. While the driver side lights came out in a few minutes, the passenger side took more than 20 minutes of constant tussle. Even I tried to remove it once. At the end, all of us ended up having scratches on our hands, along with lots of sweat.

It is a pity that VAG is not bringing back the 2.0 TDI with the Jetta's practical successor in India, the 4th gen Octavia.
Old 18th April 2021, 11:56   #3633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulanand13 View Post
Thanks for sharing this. Even I had been thinking of replacing the DRL halogen bulbs of my Jetta with nice looking white coloured LEDs since long now. Last year, I had ordered a pair from AliExpress but thanks to the lockdown being imposed, they never got delivered. Some good quality ones on AE were available for Rs.700-800/- which I think were pretty reasonable. Later, disappointed with the halogens, I decided to re-look for LEDs on Amazon and local markets but no luck. So now, very recently, I tried searching again and have found a few P21 BA1156 DRLs on amazon.in. I have ordered a pair and will let everyone know how the experience and quality is.
Wait till you have to install them. The passenger side one is relatively easier to install, but the drivers side one is another matter all together. Its really difficult and I had to finally remove the bumper and the headlight assembly to install it correctly.
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 16:33   #3634
BHPian

Quote:
So, after months of looking at the error light on the MID of our Jetta due to the failure of the right side halogen DRL, I got the bulbs replaced. Went with the LED option and got it via this link-

https://www.amazon.in/iJDMTOY-Replac.../dp/B011688JTI

I was thinking of asking someone to get it from the states(it is available for 18$) but due to the current situation, didn't see that happening for the next 1 year and thus ordered it for double the price from the above link.

Here are the results-

Damn! The Jetta is a smart looking car man.

Attachment 2144311

Close ups-

Attachment 2144308

Attachment 2144309

At the parking lot-

Attachment 2144312

Removing the bulb is definitely a task. While the driver side lights came out in a few minutes, the passenger side took more than 20 minutes of constant tussle. Even I tried to remove it once. At the end, all of us ended up having scratches on our hands, along with lots of sweat.

It is a pity that VAG is not bringing back the 2.0 TDI with the Jetta's practical successor in India, the 4th gen Octavia.
Hi! Could you share some insights about the DRL options that you came across and other cheaper options, if any, that you know and what made you not go for them?
Old 18th April 2021, 16:58   #3635
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi! Could you share some insights about the DRL options that you came across and other cheaper options, if any, that you know and what made you not go for them?
Hello,

Since Aliexpress wasn't working anymore, I had no alternatives but these bulbs only. I did try to find cheaper options but couldn't find any. At least not online.

Now the only issue was the sourcing part. On Amazon.com, they were available for 18$ but no shipping to India. Then there were these sites-

https://www.order2india.com/products...caAnM8EALw_wcB

https://www.desertcart.in/products/1...running-lights

Prima facie, the above sites do look fine and the prices are much better as compared to Amazon. Though there maybe added shipping charges.

Do let us know in case you decide to order from any of the above. Will help us in future cases.

Also, the feedback from a fellow member helped seal the deal-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4936462 (2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look)
Old 19th April 2021, 10:22   #3636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkunal.shah View Post

the left headlight is not working & i am getting error "Check Front Leaf Dipped Beam" i tried replacing the bulb but still get the same error, went to the Thane Bosh Service center (experience with VW Service has been bad) they checked everything & were able to get the headlight back without replacing the bulb, but said they've fixed it for now & it may not last long, after a few days i get the same message again.
As per Bosch the Headlight Control Module / Unit has to be replaced which would cost 18-20k, wanted to check with Jetta owners if this needs replacement & if the cost valid or i need some other fix.
Congrats on your purchase Kunal.

I am an owner of a 2015 Jetta TDI AT, just like the one you procured, and am looking to sell it within the year.

Do you mind elaborating on what price you got it at? What were the other details like mileage etc?

Any other pointers to how I can prepare the car for a sale? I do not mind spending some money upfront, if that can guarantee a good resale value, and an easier sell.

Thanks in advance for the inputs.
Old 19th April 2021, 10:47   #3637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkunal.shah View Post

I too have the 2015 facelift TDI Highline, and I too had the exact same issue (but Right instead of Left). The error was intermittent, and when I had the error, I also had the Orange bulb icon in the MID; and the Right headlamp did not turn on. When the error was not there, the headlamp worked fine.

Weird thing was, when the error was there, it was only the BiXenon projector that did not work. The DRL and cornering lamp worked fine.

The ASS swapped the control modules between Right and Left, and the error moved from Right-lamp error to Left-lamp error. However, for some unfathomable reason, I no longer get the error; and it stays disappeared; with both headlights working.

So, a (maybe temporary) saving of close to 30K expense.

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 19th April 2021 at 10:48.
Old 19th April 2021, 12:16   #3638

Quote:
So, after months of looking at the error light on the MID of our Jetta due to the failure of the right side halogen DRL, I got the bulbs replaced. Went with the LED option.

I got the below DRL bulbs from Amazon. Error free and they look as below.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01N0PWM55/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-e90eb31aaaf04b7a8425c21470d6f1d4.jpeg  

Last edited by Sheel : 19th April 2021 at 13:20. Reason: Mod note attached.
Akshay_Rebel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 19:03   #3639
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone! Update on the new LED DRL's that I ordered from Amazon.

Received the DRL's today and installed them on my Jetta! They're working nicely as of now and giving a good light intensity and color. Following is the link for the lights:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08ZVBKVTC/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

These aren't canbus friendly, so there's an error flashing on the MID. I am fine with it since the price (250 for a pair) is pretty less as compared to the cheapest canbus lights (2000 for a pair). Now the only thing is how long they'll last. I'll update on this after some time as I am not driving a lot these days due to COVID.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20210428_1811312.jpg  

Old 29th April 2021, 13:12   #3640
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone! Update on the new LED DRL's that I ordered from Amazon.

Received the DRL's today and installed them on my Jetta! They're working nicely as of now and giving a good light intensity and color. Following is the link for the lights:

Cheers!
Did you install them yourself or go to a mechanic? Asking as I am also going to replace them and if you have any tips. The last time I did them it was a pain and finally had to get the bumper and headlights removed to do it.
Old 29th April 2021, 16:23   #3641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Did you install them yourself or go to a mechanic? Asking as I am also going to replace them and if you have any tips. The last time I did them it was a pain and finally had to get the bumper and headlights removed to do it.
Hi! I replaced both of them myself. It's fairly easy and the method is the same for both sides. Just remove the main cap of the low beam, take your hand towards the lower side of the light and try going towards the DRL (you'll be able to make this out by keeping the DRL position in mind). Once you reach it, just open the light, take it out and replace the bulb.
If you need any other help, let me know, we can connect over a call.
atulanand13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 17:14   #3642
BHPian

Hi everyone! I have been really let down by the low output of the main and low beam of my Jetta. It has a halogen reflector setup. So I am thinking of replacing the halogen bulbs with LEDs. Has anyone done this recently? Please share the LEDs that you got and any thing else that's needed like the adaptor in which the LED fits.
Also has anyone done a DIY projector setup for their Jetta?

TIA. ��
Old 9th May 2021, 11:13   #3643

Quote:
Hi everyone! I have been really let down by the low output of the main and low beam of my Jetta. It has a halogen reflector setup. So I am thinking of replacing the halogen bulbs with LEDs. Has anyone done this recently? Please share the LEDs that you got and any thing else that's needed like the adaptor in which the LED fits.
Also has anyone done a DIY projector setup for their Jetta?

TIA. ��
I have a 2012 HL with the reflector setup. Recently upgraded to HID's. LED's dont work very well with reflectors. If you are going to do it then go with HID's instead. Also LED's with reflectors are a nightmare for oncoming traffic.
Old 16th July 2021, 19:17   #3644

Hi Guys,

I have purchased a 2014 Jetta Highline TDI AT from a friend. Its an upgrade from Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI to this beauty. My Rapid has been running with tune-o-tronics remap since last 5 yrs.

I would appreciate inputs/suggestions from owners and experts on these

1. I want to add auto fold functionality to the ORVMs. Read a few articles about changes via VCDS but have not come across anybody successfully doing it. Please share the details if anybody could get this done successfully.
2. Love the flat bottom steering wheel in 2015 facelift. Any pointers on where can I source these from and approx. cost.
3. Want to get stage1 ECU remap done in next 2-3 months. Bangalore has almost all tuners available. Any recommendations pls.

I am glad to be part of this wonderful community!

TIA
sandy_shm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 19:58   #3645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy_shm View Post
Hi Guys,

I have purchased a 2014 Jetta Highline TDI AT from a friend. Its an upgrade from Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI to this beauty. My Rapid has been running with tune-o-tronics remap since last 5 yrs.

I would appreciate inputs/suggestions from owners and experts on these

1. I want to add auto fold functionality to the ORVMs. Read a few articles about changes via VCDS but have not come across anybody successfully doing it. Please share the details if anybody could get this done successfully.
2. Love the flat bottom steering wheel in 2015 facelift. Any pointers on where can I source these from and approx. cost.
3. Want to get stage1 ECU remap done in next 2-3 months. Bangalore has almost all tuners available. Any recommendations pls.

I am glad to be part of this wonderful community!

TIA
Hi, if you dont mind could you share the price you got it for and how many kms the car has done?
I'm looking to get a Jetta myself. Would also be interested in getting a remap. Many say a TCU tune is a must when going for an ECU tune. What's your take on it?
Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks