Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2017, 18:12   #2776
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
Was browsing for info on the new version of Jetta and apparently 2017 Jetta will come only in petrol, at least internationally. Not sure if I am missing something

Some links to this info:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/over...gen_jetta_2017

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/volkswagen/jetta/2017/

Called up VW hosur road and VW palace cross, both confirmed that jetta diesel production has been stopped. So, I guess its the end of the road for the oil burner.
Old 3rd January 2017, 18:47   #2777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Mine behaves exactly the same way. I used to do touch brake in my Cedia and no such behavior was experienced ever. Overall I am still not fully confident with braking with my car yet. Another thing is, when I approach a bump, I gradually brake to reduce speed and brake a bit hard right before the bump, Cedia used to respond instantly, but when I do the same with Jetta, it lags and goes over the bump before responding. This is irritating to say the least and I am slowing down in advance to accommodate this lag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I have a similar experience with my Jetta's brakes. The car has run 34K KMs. And at low speeds the brake has too sharp a bite, but at higher speeds, the brake is a little spongy. Maybe due to brake pad wear. I had taken the car to the workshop a few months back and mentioned this problem and asked if the brake pads need replacement, but the SA looked at the pads and said they have another 5K to 6K KMs life. Due to shortage of time, could not follow this up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Head View Post
On the subject of brakes on the Jetta, I am facing a problem on my new TSI- at low speeds if one brakes a little less gently, the brakes grab and one is thrown forward against the seat belts. Hence one has to be very careful about not applying even a little bit higher pressure as the braking response is not linear, it just grabs the wheels. The response of brakes from my Honda Amaze which I am very used to , is comparatively so pleasant- with slight pressure (a light touch) , the speed is controlled and higher pressure if you want to bring the vehicle to a halt. With the Jetta , I am forever apprehensive that a little extra pressure if applied unconsciously, will grab the brakes and throw everyone forward.
Does any other Jetta owner have similar experience with the brakes?
I have similar experience with my 4 month old and 5K run jetta. Either brakes apply hard or there is scary lag at speed. Over all i was not very confident in the beginning, but now i am used. Ford fusion which i have driven earlier, braking felt just felt very natural and precise.
Old 6th January 2017, 15:17   #2778
BHPian

Yes, Mr Reddy, that describes the operation of the Jetta brakes very accurately. I have not yet been able to get used to it as I drive the car only on weekends.

The braking response is non linear compared to the pressure applied and this is dangerous and can lead to a road accident.

I am interested in escalating this matter to VW. Not the dealer but to the Company. I have written mails to Customer Service but these are inevitably handled by the dealership who are not very well equipped to deal with ssues beyond the ordinary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmreddy78 View Post
I have similar experience with my 4 month old and 5K run jetta. Either brakes apply hard or there is scary lag at speed. Over all i was not very confident in the beginning, but now i am used. Ford fusion which i have driven earlier, braking felt just felt very natural and precise.
Old 9th January 2017, 00:37   #2779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsbhp View Post
Hi Thoma, I had the same problem today morning, just after 7 months. While trying the ignition, MFD displayed ABS Error, Airbag Error and ESC Error sporadically now and then. I was in bit of a shock, but arranged a roadside-emergency-assistance service guy to come and check, but he quickly suggested this to be a battery drain issue and did a jump-start. But after driving around for 35mins, I was back to the same situation, and got stuck on the road when switched off at a shop. Managed to jump-start once again with help from a Amaron shop guy, came back home, left the engine to idle for about 45 mins, but once switched off, it again refused to start.

Got the car towed off to nearby VW service centre now few minutes ago. I was ready to get the battery replaced, but they insisted not to do that, since it could be an issue with alternator or other electrical faults which prevents Battery being charged while running/idling.

So soon ? Feeling sad.
Well - same thing struck my Jetta today. I had gone out for Lunch - when i tried starting the car to get home - Steering error / ESC error and no ignition sound. Doors refused to lock etc. I called up the RSA - they sent a technician with a jump start battery within 30 min. The car reached home happily - but refused to start again. When i called up RSA again - they suggested i give them a call tomorrow morning - they will send someone to start the car by jump starting and i can drive it to the workshop. I have a feeling that the workshop would keep the car for a few days rather than replacing the battery straightaway. The car is only 15 months old - so the battery should still be under warranty right ?
Old 9th January 2017, 06:25   #2780
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Well - same thing struck my Jetta today. I had gone out for Lunch - when i tried starting the car to get home - Steering error / ESC error and no ignition sound. Doors refused to lock etc. I called up the RSA - they sent a technician with a jump start battery within 30 min. The car reached home happily - but refused to start again. When i called up RSA again - they suggested i give them a call tomorrow morning - they will send someone to start the car by jump starting and i can drive it to the workshop. I have a feeling that the workshop would keep the car for a few days rather than replacing the battery straightaway. The car is only 15 months old - so the battery should still be under warranty right ?
Yes. This is very common with Jetta battery - premature failure. The battery is covered under warranty for 2 years, but they keep the car for a couple of days to run detailed diagnostics before replacing.

I had a similar issue and got the battery replaced under warranty. Check the below post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3821639

Check out the posts before for my experience during the warranty replacement.

On a side note, just this new year, the replaced battery also failed in my Jetta, and I was in the middle of no where in a farmhouse. Thankfully, VW's roadside assistance was very efficient, and a flat bed arrived within 2 hours of reporting (considering the location where I was, this was fast). They first jump started the car (flat-bedding was the last option), and I was able to drive it home. As soon as I reached home, the car would not start again. The battery was totally dead. This time I did not bother taking the car to the workshop and replaced the battery with Amaron 74Ah battery.

Heads up - even if they replace your battery under warranty, be prepared on another failure within the same time frame.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 10:54   #2781
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

1st issue has cropped up in our Jetta after 5 years.

The Parking Sensors aren't working. As soon as one engages Reverse Gear, the tone used to indicate the Activation of Parking Sensors.

Now, the tone is different & the light inside the switch is blinking. I checked the Manual, it says that Blinking is an Indication of Faulty Parking Sensors.

Anyone faced similar problem ?

I need to take the car to the Service Center.

Also, how accurate is the Analog Fuel Gauge ?

Check this out,

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20170109_105134.jpg

After driving 165 kms, the needle is still showing full. No, I haven't filled since Jan 3rd.
Range is 980 kms.
CarguyNish is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 11:17   #2782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Guys,

1st issue has cropped up in our Jetta after 5 years.

The Parking Sensors aren't working. As soon as one engages Reverse Gear, the tone used to indicate the Activation of Parking Sensors.

Now, the tone is different & the light inside the switch is blinking. I checked the Manual, it says that Blinking is an Indication of Faulty Parking Sensors.

Anyone faced similar problem ?

I need to take the car to the Service Center.

Also, how accurate is the Analog Fuel Gauge ?

Check this out,

Attachment 1593431

After driving 165 kms, the needle is still showing full. No, I haven't filled since Jan 3rd.
Range is 980 kms.
1st problem in 5 yrs - not bad

Could be a problem with one/more of the sensors - I've faced it when one sensor fell inside the bumper when some moron tried pushing it thinking it of a button!

The fuel gauge could be still at max if you have been doing most of the 165 KMs on highway rides which could have given 20+ KMPL and the gas station topped up over and beyond the auto cutoff.

Last edited by AirWind : 9th January 2017 at 11:19.
AirWind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 12:31   #2783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
1st problem in 5 yrs - not bad

Could be a problem with one/more of the sensors - I've faced it when one sensor fell inside the bumper when some moron tried pushing it thinking it of a button!

The fuel gauge could be still at max if you have been doing most of the 165 KMs on highway rides which could have given 20+ KMPL and the gas station topped up over and beyond the auto cutoff.
Thanks for the compliment.

All 8 Sensors (Front & Rear) are good with no external damage. They were working fine yesterday.

The tank was almost empty with needle at the Red Bar. The car topped of at 48L. Of the 165 kms, 140 kms was purely on Highways while remaining 25kms was in City driving.

Still, the way she delivers performance without consuming much is amazing.
Old 11th January 2017, 15:59   #2784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. This is very common with Jetta battery - premature failure. The battery is covered under warranty for 2 years, but they keep the car for a couple of days to run detailed diagnostics before replacing.

I had a similar issue and got the battery replaced under warranty.
So the SA called me yesterday and confirmed it being battery failure. He told me they have raised a request to VW for their approval. Today he tells me that VW is asking for more test reports before they confirm the replacement. I cant imagine what reports can VW wants for a simple battery replacement in a 21L car !
Old 11th January 2017, 16:37   #2785
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I cant imagine what reports can VW wants for a simple battery replacement in a 21L car !
I think they run some standard diagnostic tests on the battery to make sure that the battery has failed (not any other component like the alternator), before replacing the battery. This is a standard procedure and even I was irritated by the delay, but there was no getting around this. They were quite apologetic, but still kept the car for 2 days!
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 16:43   #2786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think they run some standard diagnostic tests on the battery to make sure that the battery has failed (not any other component like the alternator), before replacing the battery. This is a standard procedure and even I was irritated by the delay, but there was no getting around this. They were quite apologetic, but still kept the car for 2 days!
I expected two days - but now it looks like more than 3 days, hence the irritation.
Old 11th January 2017, 16:47   #2787
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I expected two days - but now it looks like more than 3 days, hence the irritation.
Yes. 3 days is too much for running diagnostics and providing a warranty replacement for the battery

I can understand your frustration. That is the reason why I did not bother going to VW at all when my battery failed the 2nd time this new year. Called the Amaron dealer and got it replaced.
Old 11th January 2017, 16:51   #2788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. 3 days is too much for running diagnostics and providing a warranty replacement for the battery

I can understand your frustration. That is the reason why I did not bother going to VW at all when my battery failed the 2nd time this new year. Called the Amaron dealer and got it replaced.
The only reason i went to them is the warranty - otherwise would have straightaway gone to the Amaron shop. Anyways have dropped a stinker email to GM of the dealership & VW customer care - lets hope they expedite.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 18:16   #2789
Senior - BHPian

I finally got the car back today. SA was extremely apologetic and really it wasn't his fault. I didn't have to pay a thing - battery was replaced with a Exide one.

One question - what's the warranty of the replaced battery ? 2 years from today or as per car's warranty ?
Old 12th January 2017, 18:23   #2790
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One question - what's the warranty of the replaced battery ? 2 years from today or as per car's warranty ?
It will be as per car's warranty. Next time it fails, you will have to pay for the replacement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks