Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Recently completed 80000kms with my Liva. Some stats to share:

Average FE (50% city, 50% highway, 100% AC) - 18.88kmpl
Tyres changed at 55k kms
Battery changed at 55k kms
Brake pads changed at 78k kms
Some of the repairs done:
1) Front suspension replaced – Free of cost done by company
2) Rear suspension replaced – Paid, got it replaced during ‘front suspension’ replacement
3) Fuel filter replacement and fuel tank cleaning – when ‘check engine’ indication came up at around 68000kms.
4) Brake Disc skimming – got done couple of times
5) Front bumper repair, Engine guard replace, RHS mirror replace – all due to self-inflicted incidents

I have got absolutely no plans of selling this car as of now.
When I brought this car, I thought of using it for 5 years/75k kms and then sell it off. But, now the goal post shifted to 100k kms. Don’t know what I will decide at 100k kms!
kavensri is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 21:06   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
This also shows how responsible a driver you are as well. My first 3 brake pad replacements were done 30,000 kms apart. My aggressive driving style along with the narrow busy highways of Kerala contributed to it. Now, I switched to Bangalore and changed my driving style as well. The current brake pad is 30,000 kms old and I have still 4 mm left. But, 78k before brake pad replacement is something I'm jealous of!

Quote:
3) Fuel filter replacement and fuel tank cleaning – when ‘check engine’ indication came up at around 68000kms.
I guess, you meant the "check fuel filter"light, not the "check engine" light.

Quote:
When I brought this car, I thought of using it for 5 years/75k kms and then sell it off. But, now the goal post shifted to 100k kms. Don’t know what I will decide at 100k kms!
1,00,000 kms is child's play for a Toyota. I wouldn't recommend selling this off due to the "kms run" criteria. If you need an upgrade or if your requirements have changed, then it makes sense to change the car. Else, just stick with it.

Last edited by amalji : 30th June 2017 at 21:09.
Old 30th June 2017, 22:33   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
This also shows how responsible a driver you are as well. My first 3 brake pad replacements were done 30,000 kms apart. My aggressive driving style along with the narrow busy highways of Kerala contributed to it. Now, I switched to Bangalore and changed my driving style as well. The current brake pad is 30,000 kms old and I have still 4 mm left. But, 78k before brake pad replacement is something I'm jealous of!
Hmm!! you have not seen me driving! I am also very aggressive driver. So, even for me, it was a pleasant surprise that the brake pads lasted that far!

Quote:
I guess, you meant the "check fuel filter"light, not the "check engine" light.
Yes, my mistake. I meant 'check fuel filter' light.

Quote:
1,00,000 kms is child's play for a Toyota. I wouldn't recommend selling this off due to the "kms run" criteria. If you need an upgrade or if your requirements have changed, then it makes sense to change the car. Else, just stick with it.
The only reason why I want to sell this car is, i did not buy 'airbags' version at that time. That was a major mistake from my part. So, even if i change, i may still go for Liva
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 21:19   #469
BHPian

My first car was Maruti Ritz. Then my second car was Etios Liva. I felt really better after switching from Ritz to Liva since Liva offered very good ride quality, comfort(both city/highway) & overall a quality product. But didn't think much afterwards.
Its when I wanted an upgrade to my Liva found that there were no better cars in that segment which can match what my Liva was offering. That includes i20/i10/baleno,etc., All were looking to me as a downgrade than an upgrade.
Now I have upgraded finally to Innova which is totally a different segment, but could really appreciate what my Liva was offering in that segment. Its no doubt that why Toyota has earned what it has earned now about its quality.
The only thing that went bad with Liva was its positioning as a mass vehicle that made it look like a cab & not look premium. May be Toyata will come over it soon.

Last edited by SANSI : 19th September 2017 at 21:20.
SANSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 08:53   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANSI View Post
Its when I wanted an upgrade to my Liva found that there were no better cars in that segment which can match what my Liva was offering. That includes i20/i10/baleno,etc., All were looking to me as a downgrade than an upgrade.
Now I have upgraded finally to Innova which is totally a different segment, but could really appreciate what my Liva was offering in that segment. Its no doubt that why Toyota has earned what it has earned now about its quality.
The only thing that went bad with Liva was its positioning as a mass vehicle that made it look like a cab & not look premium. May be Toyota will come over it soon.
I'm in a similar boat.
Even the upcoming Vios got vetted because I feel that the value it adds vis-a-vis an Etios is negligible compared to the additional cost I have to spend. With regards to reliability, the Etios still runs like new after 1.25 lakh kms on the odo and just the odd visit to the service center every 10,000 kms.

I'm still doing my evaluation between the Crysta Diesel AT and Corolla Petrol Super CVT. I'll be taking extensive test drive of both and then will decide.

Last edited by amalji : 20th September 2017 at 09:04.
Old 6th November 2017, 16:44   #471
BHPian

Guys, I have posted a query about the steering wheel misalignment problem on another thread. Could you please give your suggestions.

Refer post no. 47 at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ssembly-4.html
Old 7th November 2017, 19:23   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Recently completed 80000kms with my Liva. Some stats to share:

Average FE (50% city, 50% highway, 100% AC) - 18.88kmpl
Tyres changed at 55k kms
Battery changed at 55k kms

Awesome mileage indeed. Toyota engines run for ever - They purposefully rate their engines at a lower bhp so as to increase the longevity. Looks good for 150k!!
Old 9th December 2017, 00:08   #473
BHPian

How is the ride quality of Liva in comparison to Etios (sedan), Punto & Jazz. Recently driven an Etios Cross diesel of a friend & contrary to my expectations, was amazed by it's refinement. Driveability was pretty good too. Distinctly remember the horrible petrol Etios noise when I took a TD at the time of it's India launch. Toyota surely has done lots of improvements in this car with regard to NVH. The petrol might have improved too. Is diesel Liva equally refined as it's cross counterpart ? Liva seems to be a tempting buy , the only downer for me is the interior quality, speedo console at center & lack of features.
Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 13:25   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
How is the ride quality of Liva in comparison to Etios (sedan), Punto & Jazz.
We own both the Etios and Liva diesels. The ride quality of Etios is definitely better than the liva due to its long wheel base. I guess, it should easily beat the jazz and Punto as well as far as ride quality is concerned.

Quote:
Is diesel Liva equally refined as it's cross counterpart ?
Yes, it is.

Quote:
Liva seems to be a tempting buy , the only downer for me is the interior quality, speedo console at center & lack of features.
Thanks
In terms of quality, the interiors will last a lifetime regardless of how it looks.
The Speedo on the center is a better position than the one behind the steering wheel for the following reasons.
  • You can use the steering tilt to your most comfortable position without worrying about blocking the Speedo.
  • The angle difference from the road to the Speedo of the Etios/liva is much lesser than the angle difference that you see on the conventional Speedo design.

It's just a matter of getting used to the new position. In fact, I love the Speedo's position so much that I'm worried about the lack of center Speedo on my next potential buy - innova crysta.

If someone tells you that it's only on cheap vehicles that Toyota placed the Speedo on the center, ask them to go check the Speedo of hybrid Prius or the hydrogen fuel cell vehicle - Mirai.

Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-prius_01_sept2015_0.jpg
Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-2018toyotamiraiinterior2.jpg

Last edited by amalji : 9th December 2017 at 13:31.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 13:34   #475
Senior - BHPian

Guys, my friend was giving his Liva for service and someone there told him the car will be discontinued, so will the Etios sedan - in 2018. Any truth in this? He was asking me whether he should dispose it off, and I said I can't be too sure as right now Toyota doesn't seem to have any plans for us poor Indians.
Old 9th December 2017, 13:42   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Guys, my friend was giving his Liva for service and someone there told him the car will be discontinued, so will the Etios sedan - in 2018. Any truth in this?
Going by Toyota's previous history, they might do it when they release the Vios/Yaris as they did with Qualis.

Quote:
He was asking me whether he should dispose it off, and I said I can't be too sure as right now Toyota doesn't seem to have any plans for us poor Indians.
Why would he dispose it off when it's backed by a brand as good as Toyota? There are 15 year old Qualis still doing duty without any problems after 1 decade after the vehicle got discontinued. Etios and Liva diesel engine and transmission are imported direct from Japan and the build quality is no less compared to the other Toyotas. It can run for lakhs of Kms without any trouble. Even if it comes across a problem, you can bet on Toyota to own it and provide you with spares.

Last edited by amalji : 9th December 2017 at 13:43.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 17:48   #477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, my friend was giving his Liva for service and someone there told him the car will be discontinued, so will the Etios sedan - in 2018. Any truth in this? He was asking me whether he should dispose it off, and I said I can't be too sure as right now Toyota doesn't seem to have any plans for us poor Indians.
Honestly resale value isn't great anyways, and I doubt anyone would buy this car to be 'in' with the trends.
This is a workhorse and your friend would be best if he retained it for as long as he could.
It's amongst the most reliable, tough cars in its segment!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 22:42   #478
BHPian

Quote:
We own both the Etios and Liva diesels. The ride quality of Etios is definitely better than the liva due to its long wheel base. I guess, it should easily beat the jazz and Punto as well as far as ride quality is concerned
Thanks for your valuable feedback. Checked in Carwale, wheel base of Etios & Liva are 2550 & 2460 cm respectively, which works out be a difference of just 3.6%. How much of a difference it actually makes in ride quality? Is it that significant to make a purchase decision in favor of the sedan. I am in search of a hatch as a second car which should be as close to the sedan of same brand as far as ride quality, NVH & engine power are concerned. Since diesel engined Liva & Etios share the same engine, have the same width, may be almost same interior look & NVH ( correct me if I am wrong) , thus have Liva in my mind. Diesel Jazz is another which is almost same as City diesel, but the engine noise is keeping me away.
If I have to go for Etios for it's superiority over Liva ( I thought only difference would be boot & rear seat space which are not that important to me), then I would go for the petrol one for the obvious engine advantage ( over the hatch). Running will be low enough to justify a petrol only.

Your thoughts please.

And also throw some idea about the top end performance of the diesel Liva/Etios. Upto what speed it goes really effortlessly and the kind of NVH at high speeds. My priorities are ride quality & NVH apart from peace of mind ( therefore staying away from Polo TSI, which is again almost similar to Vento TSI other than space)
Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 10th December 2017 at 17:47. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 10th December 2017, 10:12   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Checked in Carwale, wheel base of Etios & Liva are 2550 & 2460 cm respectively, which works out be a difference of just 3.6%. How much of a difference it actually makes in ride quality? Is it that significant to make a purchase decision in favor of the sedan.
There is a significant difference in ride quality on the Etios compared to Liva. If comfort is your top priority, go for the Etios.

Quote:
If I have to go for Etios for it's superiority over Liva ( I thought only difference would be boot & rear seat space which are not that important to me), then I would go for the petrol one for the obvious engine advantage ( over the hatch). Running will be low enough to justify a petrol only.
The Petrol Etios is one of the most fun to drive cars around. You can't go wrong with that.
PS: I own an Etios Diesel and my parents own a Liva Diesel.

Quote:
And also throw some idea about the top end performance of the diesel Liva/Etios. Upto what speed it goes really effortlessly and the kind of NVH at high speeds.
The sweet spot is between 80-120 kmph because the engine will be at its peak torque on top gear at that speed ( 170 Nm @ 1800 rpms to 2400 rpms )

Having said that, please drive at 100 kmph or less on any car for safety reasons.

Quote:
My priorities are ride quality & NVH apart from peace of mind ( therefore staying away from Polo TSI, which is again almost similar to Vento TSI other than space)
Thanks
With regards to peace of mind, you will not get a better vehicle and brand than this.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th December 2017 at 10:34. Reason: Strictly no mention of high speeds on public roads. Thanks.
Old 11th December 2017, 15:06   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

And also throw some idea about the top end performance of the diesel Liva/Etios. Upto what speed it goes really effortlessly and the kind of NVH at high speeds. My priorities are ride quality & NVH apart from peace of mind ( therefore staying away from Polo TSI, which is again almost similar to Vento TSI other than space)
Thanks
Have owned both vehicles: Liva D & an Etios D.

The Etios suspension is that much more pliant as compared to the Liva which felt stiffer. However, I'd say they both offer that much more comfort over the City (no comments on Jazz - but it may be as pliant as the Liva for all I know) which has an average ride and super soft seats.

In terms of legroom - I didn't feel any noticeable difference, but the Liva had the one piece slim bucket seats compared to the Etios.
The Etios is more stable over bumps and undulations on the road compared to the light Liva.

In terms of performance, I've heard good reviews on the 1.5P - not so much on the 1.2P.
The diesel is a workhorse. It isn't quick, the gearbox is a little notchy, and the clutch a little heavy. NVH isn't great either and a lot of external noise filters in - it does 100kmph with ease, can cruise all day at 120kmph, but progress there on is slow and fairly loud (but the car is quite stable).

Since you want a soft ride + good NVH + reliability, why not look at the i20 as an option or even the S-Cross if it fits in your budget?
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks