Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2013, 15:52   #2356
B_T

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Folks,

There seems to be some noise coming from the dash. It is mostly heard when I am in low speeds. I will try to explain the exact situation soon, but as of now, I hear this noise from the dash area and it stays that way for some time! Someone suggested that it was the windscreen, in one of the earlier posts on this thread. I feel that it probably is the IRVM? When it starts making the noise, I just put some pressure on the IRVM and the noise seems to disappear.

Any thoughts? Anyone encountered this before and any confirmed solutions found?

Apart from these already reported noises, am enjoying every drive in my 110 RXL. It has done about 13K in 6 months. Quite a bit of this has been on broken/farm roads. Probably that explains the noises too.

A mistake that I did when I got the 10K service done, was to ask them to do the wheel alignment and the rotation. The road noise has increased considerably post this. Need to go get it done elsewhere. Any suggestions in the Bangalore North area, please?

-BT
Old 7th May 2013, 22:01   #2357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
Interestingly the RC or one of the documents which I got with the vehicle from the dealer call it out as a sedan. I have always wondered if SUV as a category is mentioned in the docs of XUV/Scorpio/safari. Duster is smaller as compared to the conventional SUVs, and maybe that's why it is registered as a sedan.
With the new ruling by the finance minister (4m length, 178 gc, 1500 cc engine) it is now bound to be categorized a SUV....but am not sure about it's current official status.
Old 8th May 2013, 02:38   #2358
BHPian

The noise is surely from the irvm area.
I had this noise and did almost everything except ripping apart the roof console.
Any area from the front glass, irvm, overhead light section, BT reciever what ever I touched, the sound would dissappear.

Drove the car with the overhead light section, BT reciever hanging but the sound won't go unless pressure applied from below.

Its a peculiar vibrating sound of some wire or part vibrating against a metal part.

With all options exhausted, started thinking it was the antenna wire attachment but did not have any access to it as it was between two sheets of metal.

Dejected and tired of the sound, made a complaint at the service station during the brake pad change. Voila !

They managed to solve it.
It came from the BT reciever wire but not from the part that would let the reciever hang if taken out of the socket but from the part where a clip holds the wire upto the point just before the socket.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 13:12   #2359
B_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post

They managed to solve it.
It came from the BT reciever wire but not from the part that would let the reciever hang if taken out of the socket but from the part where a clip holds the wire upto the point just before the socket.
This is a wonderful piece of information. Thanks himadri.
Old 8th May 2013, 20:29   #2360
BHPian

Got my car for a 5K checkup, got some stuff done as well.
1. Pickup & mileage had drastically gone down since last week. Usually get 16-17, was getting <14.
Air filter was clogged -was cleaned. Me thinks this does need to be cleaned@5K no matter what the manual says.
Also got Oil filter changed & got Elf 5W 40 Synthetic engine oil(I know its early,but WTH Fluence comes factory filled with this!)
2. Front passenger door handle was giving problems-Fixed.
3. AC filter cleaned
4. Brakes cleaned, SA said no need for bleeding them yet. Going for a 200km highway drive will check them.
5. Rear bumper was loose-tightened. And one rattle (present from Day1 seems to be gone)
6. Driver seat was loose, movement on turns. SA said this is a problem with the railing and is in Renault`s radar. A recall is on the cards.
7. Got a bitumen underbody anti-rust treatment. Fucon? Not exactly needed but WTH, it was 3K, so got it.
8. Had fitted Hella Super tone, just wanted he electrical guy to check the wiring-all OK.
Additional info for those thinking of putting in an extra horn -dedicated space is behind the light and the wiring+ relay is already provided by Renault.
I need the clip type cables and will get one Hella moved to this slot, in the next service.
Final bill was about 8K-was charged only for consumables, no labour.

Service experience was vastly improved from the last time; this was a different dealer!!
Service is a make or break point in the ownership experience and is really the key to customer satisfaction.
If the problems get fixed after a visit to the Service centre, every other negative is forgotten!!
the car is noticeably smoother now and the MID showed 17kmpl over a short run. Will update after tomorrow's trip..

Last edited by BUXX : 8th May 2013 at 20:31.
BUXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 22:14   #2361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
6. Driver seat was loose, movement on turns. SA said this is a problem with the railing and is in Renault`s radar. A recall is on the cards.

Additional info for those thinking of putting in an extra horn -dedicated space is behind the light and the wiring+ relay is already provided by Renault.

Final bill was about 8K-was charged only for consumables, no labour.
- Sad to hear about the seat rails, will be great if Renault does address it
- Good and very useful info about the horn wiring, thanks Buxx
- Could you please upload the bill, if you don't mind. That will give us a better idea about the cost breakup
Old 9th May 2013, 10:34   #2362
Distinguished - BHPian

Duster strikes back in April but Ecosport has the edge - Brazil Market

Quote:
Duster, after paltry 2282 units in March 2013 has struck back with total monthly sales of 4050 units in April 2013. However, EcoSport is just a step or two ahead of the erstwhile champion. EcoSport managed total sales of 6397 units in April 2013 as compared to 4496 units it managed in March 2013
http://motorbash.com/duster-strikes-...-brazil-sales/
Old 9th May 2013, 15:19   #2363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Duster strikes back in April but Ecosport has the edge - Brazil Market
I doubt Ecosport is going to dent deep into the Duster sales.
After seeing the Ecosport live in a mall, it seems to be a small size car and not even mid size.
Seating capacity and comfort can be compared to a Zen, i10.
Even my Honda Brio looks more spacious.
Old 10th May 2013, 08:50   #2364
BHPian

Expect more waiting period for duster.

Fire hits Renault-Nissan parts warehouse near Chennai http://www.ndtv.com/article/south/fi...e-otherstories
Old 10th May 2013, 09:17   #2365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
I doubt Ecosport is going to dent deep into the Duster sales.
After seeing the Ecosport live in a mall, it seems to be a small size car and not even mid size.
Seating capacity and comfort can be compared to a Zen, i10.
Even my Honda Brio looks more spacious.
That is stretching it too far. Ecosport has decent space, but comparing it with the likes of Brio& i10 is far-fetched. OFFTOPIC for this thread anyway.
Old 10th May 2013, 13:28   #2366
BHPian

I own a Duster 85 RXL that I sometimes refer to as Monsieur Dracula in reference to its origins.

It recently got its 10000 km 2nd service done on 30/04/2013, and also some bodywork/repair job on May Day.

The vehicle is currently at a place where Renault does not have a workshop in the entire state.

Today I detected a strange chemical smell emanating from the vehicle and upon inspection in the engine bay I found that the engine coolant has completely leaked out as is evident from the green splashes on the radiator and other areas of the engine bay. The engine coolant container is empty with the coolant level well below the "MINI" mark.

Now I can't drive the vehicle without the coolant and the problem increases exponentially as there is no workshop in the whole state.

I had been trying to call Renault's road-side assistance toll free number 180030044444 as published on their website but the telephone network reports that the number does not exist! So I alternatively texted "RENAULT" to 53030 (I have also sent an email to customer@renault.com)

In response to my text message, someone called me back expecting a sales lead, and I apprised him of the actual situation. He put me through to another guy who listened to my problem and promised someone would call me back.

I'm still awaiting that call. Let's see how Renault handles this. This will be a real litmus test for their promised services.

Update: - Got a call in response to my email.

Last edited by snkjr : 10th May 2013 at 13:49. Reason: update with latest status
Old 10th May 2013, 13:57   #2367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by human_wheels View Post
Took a test drive of the 110 ps RXZ Duster today. Here are my views:
1. Clutch is quite hard as compared to my Dzire diesel.
2. I had to operate the clutch pedal with my left foot at some angle towards the right.
During my TD, I too felt the same. While comparing the other cars which I drove last week (XUV, honda city) clutch of duster is very hard and awkwardly positioned. My leg started paining after 3 kms test drive. When I asked sales guy, he told me that "suv clutches are generally hard" However, the same was not the case with XUV. it was smooth.

otherwise, i am fine with duster. But since i will be driving the car 95% of time, I am really thinking whether to even consider duster as a potential option.
Old 10th May 2013, 14:07   #2368
BHPian

^^ I fully agree..
The 85's clutch is made out to be MUUUUCH better , when in fact , I would say it is pretty much the same as the 110.

It is HARD and even after 5K Kms being done, it remains so..

Maybe they are getting clutches through different vendors that provide clutch for both the variants AND that one of these vendors has an unusually hard clutch design.

Now whenever I drive my Santro , the pedal plops down like I am pushing down air !!!
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 14:33   #2369
BHPian

Thanks a ton GTO for such a detailed review. I know I'm late, but couldn't do it before as my membership got approved yesterday only.

I would also like to thank all the fellow bhpians who own a duster and have posted their views on this thread. To be honest, I haven't read all the pages of this thread but read a lot many pages and then I finally booked Duster on April 14 and got the delivery on April 29, 2013. And I'm yet to enjoy it fully, just went out once with my car so far, but have many places in my head lined up.

I have one question to all the Duster owners, here in Bangalore(not sure if its there everywhere as well), Showrooms are providing mats for Duster which they call as 4D, whereas outside there are only 3D mats available. After looking at both the mats I couldn't find out much difference between them, and since 3D mats which costs 6K are just double than the 4D mats which are costing 3K, my question is; Is it a good buy?

Considering I read on one of the thread that 3D Kagu mats were spoiled within a year, if these mats last anything more than 6 months, I would consider it as a plus.

So please suggest me, whether its a good buy or not?
Old 10th May 2013, 14:41   #2370
BANNED

I'm not sure whether Renault is using same clutch mechanism what they were using in Mahindra-Logan in initial versions of Logan then definitely clutch will feel harder.

In own Logan till date and in my car they used Wired Clutch system, which gets harded day-by-day and after approx. 20K driving you normally need to change it, whereas in later (post 2010) Mahindra switched to Hydraulic Clutch system which is much smoother than Wired one.

What I feel Renault is using Wired Clutch system in Duster.

This can be checked by test driving their Fluence/Pulse or Scala.

Rakesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks