Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2012, 07:56   #1216
BANNED

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docster View Post
So that would mean that I have used up 46.5 liters of fuel and I have about 19 liters in the tank putting the total in the range of 66 liters. Now that is way beyond the 50 liter limit that the manual says.

What is the amount of fuel that the other owners have filled up for a full tank?
Docster,

Just a suggestion when you got refueling next for Full Tank, Set all the counters to Zero except the first counter which is total KMs Car is driven at the fuel pump itself.

Also to make sure that each counter is SEt To ZERO, toggle through all the display screens.

In all there should be following displays :

First is total KMS Driven
Second is first trip meter. Reset it to Zero
Third is Total Liters of fuel consumed. Set it to Zero
Fourth is KM/L - Set it to ZERO
Next KMs you can go in remaining fuel Reset it to Zero
Next is Average Speed per Hour - Reset to Zero
Next is Trip Meter No. 2 - Reset to Zero

If any other counter is left then rest it also to Zero.

After this check it again and specially when 2-3 Boxes of Fuel gauge becomes empty.

I hope this will help you in understanding the exact capacity of Fuel Tank.
Old 21st October 2012, 09:03   #1217
BHPian

Ok, Will do Micrographics. But should I wait till a near empty tank to see as to how much I fuel I actually fill up?

Has anyone put on any external accessories?
@ Neil Roy, Have you any idea as to where has the dealer has gotten the accessories that you had the pleasure of seeing on the car in your post on page 33.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...review-33.html

The side step seems to an accessory that all Duster owners need essentially, as while getting out of the car, the pants do get messed up.

With so many companies in the accessories aftermarket, any suggestions as to which company has better products. I have been told by a few accessory sellers that products made by "Mahavir" are inferior to those made by a company by the name "Welcome".
Neither the dealer nor the Renault site have any of the external accessories and the dealer here no idea as to when they would be coming in.
Old 21st October 2012, 10:33   #1218
BHPian

A query to all the Duster owners, how good/bad is the park-assist?
Do you feel it will suffice, or are you planing on a rear-camera?
I am asking so that i include this expense in my budget.
Old 21st October 2012, 10:59   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
A query to all the Duster owners, how good/bad is the park-assist?
Do you feel it will suffice, or are you planing on a rear-camera?
I am asking so that i include this expense in my budget.
The parking sensor actually works like a charm. I was not a big fan of the 'sensor' assist
and always felt the cam would do better.

Before the Duster, I got a Honda Brio for my wife, fitted a cam (to the Pioneer HU) but
seldom use it while parking as the conventional 'head turn' seems to be more reliable.

But after using the Duster parking assist, I just fell in love with it.
Its so sensitive, it picks up a vertical iron pipe if it comes in its path.
Its just FANTASTIC.

Regarding the fuel meter, does everyone switches off the engine/ignition while at the pump,
if not, the calculations might go wrong as is the case for some here.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 11:22   #1220
BANNED

Quote:
Ok, Will do Micrographics. But should I wait till a near empty tank to see as to how much I fuel I actually fill up?
Docster,

You don't need to wait till near empty tank.

Just go to Fuel Pump and ask him to fill the tank Full until Pump Auto Stops.

Don't ask him to Top-Up.

Then Reset all the counters and check.

Regards

Rakesh
Old 21st October 2012, 22:36   #1221
BHPian

Now that you say it Rakesh, I do remember that the auto stop had clicked at around 55 liters, but then that also does not seem to be right. How could one fill another 13 liters after the auto stop. But will do that tomorrow morning and will see how that works.

The parking assist does its job well for me too. I use both the side view mirrors and the parking assist in conjunction and am very comfortable backing up in narrow places. I would maybe like the camera slightly more, maybe for its 'bling' value.
Old 21st October 2012, 22:53   #1222
BHPian

Quote:

@ Neil Roy, Have you any idea as to where has the dealer has gotten the accessories that you had the pleasure of seeing on the car in your post on page 33.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...review-33.html

The side step seems to an accessory that all Duster owners need essentially, as while getting out of the car, the pants do get messed up.

With so many companies in the accessories aftermarket, any suggestions as to which company has better products. I have been told by a few accessory sellers that products made by "Mahavir" are inferior to those made by a company by the name "Welcome".
Neither the dealer nor the Renault site have any of the external accessories and the dealer here no idea as to when they would be coming in.
The best way to avoid any confusion would be to fill up ASAP *after* the low fuel indicator has gone on. Give strict instructions to the filler to stop at auto-stop and NOT top up. Topping up is a common scandal in many bunks. If you do this, you should see between 42-45 liters going in, definitely not more. Then reset your MID. And let us know how it went.

Accessories: This is still a big challenge for the Duster, the genuine accessories are taking forever to come. For example the bull bar + cladding you saw in Niel's post, I have been following up since July, apparently they are, finally, on their way to Bangalore so you can expect it in Tier II cities in some more time. Approx cost 35-40K. Outside accessories I would suggest to tread with caution at this time. My rule of thumb: No outside accessory which has to deal with electricals/electronics just yet, anything else is fine.
Old 21st October 2012, 23:19   #1223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
Accessories: This is still a big challenge for the Duster, the genuine accessories are taking forever to come. For example the bull bar + cladding you saw in Niel's post, I have been following up since July, apparently they are, finally, on their way to Bangalore so you can expect it in Tier II cities in some more time. Approx cost 35-40K. Outside accessories I would suggest to tread with caution at this time. My rule of thumb: No outside accessory which has to deal with electricals/electronics just yet, anything else is fine.
Do ICE modifications impact the Warranty? Like only speaker replacement?
Old 22nd October 2012, 00:13   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23

The best way to avoid any confusion would be to fill up ASAP *after* the low fuel indicator has gone on. Give strict instructions to the filler to stop at auto-stop and NOT top up. Topping up is a common scandal in many bunks. If you do this, you should see between 42-45 liters going in, definitely not more. Then reset your MID. And let us know how it went.

If you have a android phone, download the application called fuellog. All you need to do is enter the current odo, fuel filled and cost per litre. This will be the baseline. When you refill for 2nd time and make entry, it will return exact kmpl. Doesn't matter whether you do top up or not. It's precise.
Old 22nd October 2012, 00:43   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
If you have a android phone, download the application called fuellog. All you need to do is enter the current odo, fuel filled and cost per litre. This will be the baseline. When you refill for 2nd time and make entry, it will return exact kmpl. Doesn't matter whether you do top up or not. It's precise.
Well, I used to use that app until just a day back. If you read the last 10 posts in this thread, I even suggested others to use it. But Rigid Rotor suggested the "My Cars" app. I checked it, its awesome as compared to FuelLog, has so many features for free, you wont believe it. As of now I have migrated my FuelLog data to My Cars app. And I would suggest you check it out too.
suchit23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:49   #1226
BHPian

Have been waiting for my turn to get my Duster. But get this - I saw a guy at a highway rest stop and since this was in Jharkhand where there are no Renault showrooms, I was curious and got chatting with this guy about his Duster. I told him I have been waiting since July for the delivery. On this the guy said he didn't even make a booking, just paid some black money to the dealer and got his car! He got it from the same dealer where I have made my booking.
Old 22nd October 2012, 13:25   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit

Do ICE modifications impact the Warranty? Like only speaker replacement?
Don't think only speaker replacement can void warranty. General rule is if no wires are cut warranty stays. Hence it is also possible to replace your HU with other OE ones like Caska which come with the right sockets for Duster so its plug and play. However these clauses are not very clear and hence the dealer who has to respect your warranty can have a lot to decide based on what they understand. So take your dealer into confidence first and go ahead. Personally I have just decided to wait longer so even the dealers have clarity on the vehicle.
suchit23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 14:37   #1228
BHPian

Hi All,

Reading all this fuel filling and possible incorrectness of the system measuring this, i have another experience. First time i did the tank full the bars(on the guage) lasted till 45 litres. This time on the tank fill they have lasted till 40 litres and after which the low fuel indicatory came alive.

Also to note is that after 40 litres at an average of 16.5 kmpl when the low fuel indicator came on, the distabce to empty is showing less than 100 lms. Going by the logic of 16.5 kms and the fact that after consuming 40 litres there should be atleast 10 litres left, the DTE should be anything above 150 kms.

Did anybody experience anything similar? and insights

Sid
Old 22nd October 2012, 15:23   #1229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarsiddhi View Post
Did anybody experience anything similar? and insights
Cant comment on this.

Though DTE is a good metric to use, but I think one should not rely on it for re-fueling time stamps.
One should go by what the primary sensor for fuel (fuel gauge) says.

I think that is a much safer approach.
Old 22nd October 2012, 17:19   #1230
BHPian

Quote:

@Neil Roy, Have you any idea as to where has the dealer has gotten the accessories that you had the pleasure of seeing on the car in your post on page 33.
Hope I am able to clarify both your queries.Regarding accessories, I have no idea about the look or the cost impact.Today, I saw an after market fitment of a bull bar with integrated lights. Finish looked good, but fit was not up-to the mark.Soon, we will see lot of after market accessories with varied cost impact.
Regarding the fuel capacity, the actual tank capacity is definitely more than 50 Ltrs. The problem is the automatic cut-off from the fuel pump. From the first cut-off, the Duster takes up almost 20 Ltrs extra to brim it up. What it does to the sensors linked to the MID I dont know. My assumption is that tank capacity is 70 Ltrs excluding space for air.I have once brimmed up my Duster for around 60 ltrs. Still dont have the guts to wait for the low fuel indicator to come on as I am still not confident about the actual dynamics of the Duster and I dont want to end up with a dry tank in the middle of nowhere.This brings me to the second point.(Iam also posting this issue on my ownership report as I dont want any of our forum Duster owners to panic upon seeing this issue crop up).
It is raining cats and dogs in chennai for the last week or so and the Duster is really performing well on rough roads(no surprises there).Now the unpleasant part.Left side interior floor is soaking wet from rain water dripping from inside the dash board.Took the Duster to the service center and had it checked. It seems the water runoff area between the bonnet and the windshield is blocked with dirt and leaves, and hence the water is not able to drain.So all you Duster owners there, please check your vehicles especially during rainy seasons for rain water spillage. Still it makes me wonder why their design did not plan dry leaves or dirt.And I am left with a wet floor damp floor during rainy season

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks