Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:18   #1321
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthi1509 View Post
When one did hit big puddles of water(1 ft plus), especially at high speeds, the water had a tendency to come on the windscreen.
Glad you mentioned it. I thought I was the only one to have such issues(very similar to bolero). I always thought it was due to the negative offset of my alloys. Can you just confirm if you had OE rims and tyres or any upsize?
Old 2nd November 2012, 16:22   #1322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthi1509 View Post
When one did hit big puddles of water(1 ft plus), especially at high speeds, the water had a tendency to come on the windscreen.
Same issue is endemic across all versions of Scorpio.

But good to know that the vehicle is performing well and barely any issues are being reported (atleast in TBHP)
Old 2nd November 2012, 17:43   #1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Glad you mentioned it. I thought I was the only one to have such issues(very similar to bolero). I always thought it was due to the negative offset of my alloys. Can you just confirm if you had OE rims and tyres or any upsize?
@ Neil Roy, OEM Steel Rims and OE Tyres, no change. The water spray occurs due to the churned water being directed upwards through the wheel well space and possibly the only solution may be to moderate the speed for all vehicle models.
Old 2nd November 2012, 18:10   #1324
BHPian

One of my grouches is that the slush and mud get splashed to the rear doors even at slow speeds when driving through water. I feel the only way to prevent this would be maybe to have bigger and wider mud flaps or to have a wide side step.
Old 2nd November 2012, 22:39   #1325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift King View Post
I checked with 2 Renault dealers in Delhi. Both have not sold even a single petrol Duster...Has anyone on the forum test driven a Petrol Duster? Or has anyone booked it/got it delivered?
I did! Last spotted in Jurassic Park!

Kidding, of course - I remember reading somewhere that the petrol engine is largely an import, whereas the diesel is locally manufactured with increasing levels of indigenous components. That might explain their reluctance to sell the petrol variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
The UK version has the 1.5 dCi in a different tune with DPF (diesel particulate filter), this version supports ESP and has the turbo kicking in earlier. We get a older version without ESP support and DPF.

I think the lag was really bad in the demo vehicles and have been resolved in production but more details are required on this by Renault, for instance my 110 does not have too much lag, but I think the turbo still kicks in at around 2000-2200 RPM at stated in the specs, so its not a retuned engine.
Not sure about this, but if I may hazard a guess, the DPF (or its absence) may not affect the state of tune - I read somewhere that some changes have been made to the induction system to get the max torque at a lower value of 1750 RPM. And it perhaps, may not make economic sense to to manufacture two tuned versions of the same engine on a single assembly line for the same vehicle. So perhaps (and maybe!) the production versions are getting the newer tuned engines. On the other hand, in all probability you must be right, Raul.

- however if wishes could be horses...!

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 2nd November 2012 at 22:42.
Old 2nd November 2012, 22:51   #1326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
I am also being actively discouraged by a friend not to fit front bull-bars on my Duster. His argument was in the remote eventuality of a frontal collision, the air bags may not deploy correctly. He was also saying in such instances, the insurance guys may also raise some objections regarding disbursement.
Rada! Welcome!

I think your friend is right. The frontal impact may also have a say on the chassis as on most occasions, the bull-bars are mounted on the frame/chassis. I too would dissuade you from fitting one. And it does look ugly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docster View Post
I had been looking around for an aftermarket bullbar and came across this :
http://www.renault.com.br/Veiculos/c.../kit-aventura/
Dear, that is a nudge-guard. A softer variety of the bull-bar. If officially available, I think it would be designed such that it would trigger the airbags if required.

If it is available as an accessory, please ask some one from Renault and take it in writing that it won't hamper airbag's functioning. Post which, you may commit.

Thanks
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 23:04   #1327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Were those Scorpio & Bolero 4WD?

Is your concern only with ground clearance? If so Duster (GC=200 mm) is far better than Scorpio (GC =180 mm).
Keeping the 4WD versions out of the equation, the GC of a Duster and Scorpio are not all that different considering that GC of Scorpio is reported significantly less on paper because of the differential which the Duster does not have. And yet the Duster can go in and out of deep potholes easier than a Scorpio because of the way it handles, in other words it would be less prone to roll overs.

Btw, slight correction, Duster GC is 205mm.
Old 2nd November 2012, 23:43   #1328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
Keeping the 4WD versions out of the equation, the GC of a Duster and Scorpio are not all that different considering that GC of Scorpio is reported significantly less on paper because of the differential which the Duster does not have. And yet the Duster can go in and out of deep potholes easier than a Scorpio because of the way it handles, in other words it would be less prone to roll overs.

Btw, slight correction, Duster GC is 205mm.
According to the specs, the UK Duster 4x4's ground-clearance is actually 5 mm more (210) than the 4x2 Duster!

The reason why the Duster is so capable over rough roads is the suspension. It manages to absorb the undulation better than the Scorpio. With 4-wheel-drive, it will be nearly unstoppable and will certainly have more competent four by fours well in its sights over most terrain.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 23:53   #1329
BHPian

Took delivery of my 110 PS RXZ woodland brown today, will update soon with pictures and initial ownership report.

Few points from my 50 odd kms of drive today.

1. Turbo lag is surprisingly negligible, am driving it like I have been driving my swift vxi. I have been able to do slow down to absolute crawl and pick up in 2nd gear without any issues on most occasions.

2. Delivery process was very smooth, all the people at anamallis Renault were very courteous and vehicle was ready on time.

3. Despite being reassured that the tire pressures were brought down to acceptable levels, when I checked while filling diesel it was over 45 in all the wheels!!

4. Planning to get seat covers and ICE done over the next few days and will update with pictures
motorhead1981 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 08:09   #1330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead1981 View Post
Took delivery of my 110 PS RXZ woodland brown today, will update soon with pictures and initial ownership report.

1. Turbo lag is surprisingly negligible, am driving it like I have been driving my swift vxi. I have been able to do slow down to absolute crawl and pick up in 2nd gear without any issues on most occasions.

2. Delivery process was very smooth, all the people at anamallis Renault were very courteous and vehicle was ready on time.

3. Despite being reassured that the tire pressures were brought down to acceptable levels, when I checked while filling diesel it was over 45 in all the wheels!!

4. Planning to get seat covers and ICE done over the next few days and will update with pictures
Many Congrats..
Wish you Happy miles.
Keep us updated on ICE upgrade, i am also looking to upgrade the HU,but right now wait seems endless for my booked Duster.
When did u book, Have u got the price protection?
Old 3rd November 2012, 12:29   #1331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead1981 View Post

Always check air at cold temp. Do not drive extensively and then check the air pressure, since its bound to show you upward numbers.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 21:43   #1332

I am nearing the 4000KM mark, and at least 50% of this was clocked on Rough roads with huge potholes. While being careful in tackling these potholes, I have always wondered about the right amount of rough riding for the suspension and the wheels staying aligned. Can anyone share their experiences on this?
Old 3rd November 2012, 22:16   #1333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthi1509
I am nearing the 4000KM mark, and at least 50% of this was clocked on Rough roads with huge potholes. While being careful in tackling these potholes, I have always wondered about the right amount of rough riding for the suspension and the wheels staying aligned. Can anyone share their experiences on this?
Its always good to align your wheels every 5000 to 7000km if its really bad roads.

If its good roads you can stretch till 10000km.

But hey stick to a good Tyre dealer for this job and not company service center.also switch to nitrogen for better results
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2012, 22:36   #1334
BHPian

Re: Nissan confirms Duster-based SUV

I spotted a DUSTER being tested on the NH4 as I was driving back to Chennai from Kanchipuram on 3rd Nov 2012. It had red number plates and strange thing was that the badge was covered. I noticed it and recollected reading about Nissan Duster on TeamBHP. I tried to click a few pics, but the driver was pushing 100-110 kmph and swerving between trucks. So managed just these pics that are not of great quality given the speed at which he was driving. I am not very sure if its Nissan Duster but the Nissan Factory is also near Oragadam. So I guess maybe it is a Nissan Duster.

Moderators please remove if this is not right info.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-photo0146.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-photo0147.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-photo0148.jpg  

maddyoni10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 05:43   #1335
BHPian

Re: Nissan confirms Duster-based SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyoni10 View Post
I spotted a DUSTER being tested on the NH4 as I was driving back to Chennai from Kanchipuram on 3rd Nov 2012. It had red number plates and strange thing was that the badge was covered. I noticed it and recollected reading about Nissan Duster on TeamBHP. I tried to click a few pics, but the driver was pushing 100-110 kmph and swerving between trucks. So managed just these pics that are not of great quality given the speed at which he was driving. I am not very sure if its Nissan Duster but the Nissan Factory is also near Oragadam. So I guess maybe it is a Nissan Duster.

Moderators please remove if this is not right info.
Congratulations Buddy, you just spotted the Dacia Duster 4x4! Proof, look at this image:

1. No model specific badge on the one in your pics and the one below
2. There's another section patched on the right side, diagonally, notice the same on the picture below, that's the 4WD vinyl/paint badge!
3. The masked main rear badge looks bigger than Renault's, could be Dacia's

But again, take my observations with a grain of salt, could be Nissan testing a Dacia Duster, or could be anything else! But whatever it may be, maddyoni10, good catch! And if this is true, OMG somebody actually listened to my prayers... I'll happily book a Duster again, as soon as they launch the 4x4!

Note to Mod: Please transfer/merge this post if need be to/with the Duster's official review thread
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-dacia_duster_105_4x4_prestige__heckansicht_31._juli_2012_heiligenhaus.jpg  

Last edited by zen kobane : 5th November 2012 at 05:58.
zen kobane is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks