Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 19:04   #1456
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

I have the 110 and the FE is stubbornly stuck at 12.6 for around 1900km, out of which around 1000km is Pune Mumbai Expressway and the rest in bumper to bumper traffic in Goregaon-Malad area. So this is some fantastic FE folks are getting on the 85.

Abroad most folks report a 1km difference between the 85 and 110, the average seems to be 6-8/100km depending on conditions.
Old 21st November 2012, 19:51   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think it may be because of pseudo highway like driving conditions in the city.
That can give higher FE which is almost like highway numbers. 85BHP ARAI claim is ~21kmpl I think.
But does this pseudo highway really exist in Delhi? Maybe he is using it outskirts. Or may be at the time of the day when traffic is sparse. We'll wait for the original poster to comment on the traffic and riding conditions.

Right, the SIAM rating stands at 20.45kmpl for the 85ps.
Old 21st November 2012, 20:19   #1458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I have the 110 and the FE is stubbornly stuck at 12.6 for around 1900km, out of which around 1000km is Pune Mumbai Expressway and the rest in bumper to bumper traffic in Goregaon-Malad area. So this is some fantastic FE folks are getting on the 85.

Abroad most folks report a 1km difference between the 85 and 110, the average seems to be 6-8/100km depending on conditions.

Possible actually. If the 85 ps is geared and has engine torque in such a way as to cruise between 70-90 kmph (highway speeds), in top gear, at low rpm like 2000 or so, it should return fantastic economy.

Regarding the 110 ps, what rpm does the engine show in 6th gear @ 100 kmph? Is there any significant lag before power builds up, is it necessary to rev higher to overtake or build up speed?
If you answer yes to any of the above, then naturally fuel economy suffers if the engine needs to constantly shift to higher rpm during normal operations.

Let me try an example: In the Safari 2.2, you can maintain 100 kmph all day at about 2000 rpm. In fact keeping 2000 rpm constant through all gears gives good acceleration and very decent fuel economy between 13-16 kmpl.
If I need to drive at around 120 130 kmph i need to keep around 2500-2800 rpm, and the fuel economy hovers around 11-13 kmpl. Higher speeds 100 miles and up, we need to keep upward of 3500 rpm, and the fuel economy drops to around 8 - 9 kmpl.
Same case if I tend to accelerate fast and keep rpm upward of 3000 or so.

If i keep to about 1700 rpm in 5th gear which is about 80-85 kmph on the highway it can give close to 17 18 kmpl.

Regarding driving conditions abroad, from what I have seen they drive in totally different way from us, since they don't have one eye on the fuel gauge. From signal to signal they simply floor the accelerator and accelerate, then brake and slow down for signals or when they reach the posted speed limits. Doing that gives a constantly poor economy against riding the torque wave as we do here.
Old 21st November 2012, 20:58   #1459
AWD
BHPian

So which one, the 110bhp or 85bhp is more fuel efficient ?

Which 85bhp variant to choose ?
Old 21st November 2012, 21:06   #1460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Hi Clouseau

That's an excellent FE. I am getting 16 to 16.5 for 2200 KM. The FE you are reporting is over how many KM?
My city runs are in bumper to bumper mumbai traffic, this accounts for approx 40% of my total running till date.

I think I can say the same. I have an average run of 35 kms per day with runs of about 3 - 5 kms before stopping (Between Hospitals). On the week end the run is about 70 - 100 kms, mostly on a highway. Speeds of about 80 - 90. Over 2 full tanks I have had a consistent average of 16.5. My Duster 85 ps (O) has clocked 1600 kms as yet.
Old 21st November 2012, 21:16   #1461
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD
So which one, the 110bhp or 85bhp is more fuel efficient ?

Which 85bhp variant to choose ?
As per ARAI 85 is a km per litre more efficient than 110. If you are looking at safety kit in 85 then the only option is RXL with option pack.
Old 21st November 2012, 21:31   #1462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau
...Also with the slightly higher CG I don't think these cars should be driven too fast, especially if you have to maneuver sharply.
Time to think differently with the Duster or monocoque SUVs in general. Read thru the reviews & you will understand your fear with high GC on Duster is unwarranted. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau
...BTW - my 85RXL is giving 19.5-20 kmpl this month which is all city driving. How much are you getting?..
Could you tell us your constant speed, gear, road conditions, AC usage, time of travel, traffic density, load in the car & above all, how do you calculate FE?

EDIT: FYI, guess yours is the first Duster to report 20+ kmpl on the forum. How much has your car run?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st November 2012 at 21:32.
Old 21st November 2012, 21:52   #1463
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Time to think differently with the Duster or monocoque SUVs in general. Read thru the reviews & you will understand your fear with high GC on Duster is unwarranted. :-)

Could you tell us your constant speed, gear, road conditions, AC usage, time of travel, traffic density, load in the car & above all, how do you calculate FE?

EDIT: FYI, guess yours is the first Duster to report 20+ kmpl on the forum. How much has your car run?
Though I currently don't own Duster but considering that Duster is having same engine what Logan has. The only difference between these two is the engine tuning. Logan has 65PS and Duster has 85PS.

On the basis of my personal experience with Logan, if you drive between 70-90 KMPH on highway then definitely you will get Efficieny of above 24 depending on the type of highway.

On Bangalore-Hyderabad highway I'm getting around 27KMs per litre of Diesel if I drive continuously between 70-90 and if I cross 100 then FE comes down to 23.

In City like Bangalore I never got FE of more than 16.

Last edited by micrographics : 21st November 2012 at 21:54.
Old 21st November 2012, 21:59   #1464
BHPian

So I had booked a 110 around a month back in Hyderabad. I was told of the customary 3-4 moth waiting period by the dealer. This morning I get a call from the dealer saying that if I pay the amount now, they can get me the vehicle in less than a month's time.
I am generally skeptical of dealers and would not really buy into the fact that they are trying to help me out (that guy actually asked me if I had got the vehicle...which was fishy, as the dealer should have the records and everything). So I gathered my thoughts and asked him to provide me the VIN number and told him I would be happy to pay if he tells me that the vehicle is delivered and in his yard. After this he started rambling about trust etc....

So my reading of this:
1) I guess that with Renault scaling up their production, the vehicle delivery time is lessening. The dealer are using this as an opportunity to lure eager customers to make it sound as if by paying now they could get the vehicle early.

And a few questions:
1) Typically by when does the VIN allocation happen for the Duster? Is it soon after you have made the booking, or just sometime before delivery?
2) Although I have not been following up with the dealer, but it seems sitting on their head might expedite the delivery. Right?
3) I am sure that I did read it somewhere that year end registration does not dramatically affect the resale value (I am not into business and do not stand to gain from depreciation etc or intend to resell soon). So If I get the vehicle in Dec, is there any benefit/value in taking delivery and registration in the new year (apart from some mental satisfaction, that in Jan my car is not last year's model)

Thank you
Old 21st November 2012, 22:02   #1465
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As per ARAI 85 is a km per litre safety kit in 85 then the only option is RXL with option pack.
Thanks, so 85bhp model is more FE & has better low end torque. Another factor in its favour for me would be the regular state of tune & not bumped up to 110. I would not want a car with this engine to be tuned for Power. The engine is not loaded with modern tech.

Sure 85 option pack has the safety kit but is priced similar to 110 variant. Im now deciding between 85 Base & middle/penultimate. Btw, does the base 85 variant have FE display meter?

Last edited by AWD : 21st November 2012 at 22:04.
Old 21st November 2012, 22:16   #1466
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics
...In City like Bangalore I never got FE of more than 16.
I dont doubt on the abilities of the engine and am quite sure on the highway mileage part. However the post that I quoted above mentions 20 kmpl in CITY & hence was interested to know the factors involved.

On the other hand, you might want to remember that logan comes with a different state of tune (68 bhp?). Add to it, even guys doing highway trips on Duster haven't really started to get mileage above 20 kmpl. I am way too surprised on that. I have a doubt whether the aerodynamics is playing spoilsport.

Plus an interaction with Hormazd Sorabjee of ACI has let me know that ACI's highway FE indicator is at 17 kmpl or so.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st November 2012 at 22:17.
Old 21st November 2012, 22:47   #1467
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

I don't think even the Micra, which shares the same heart, won't give 20 kmpl in city. Have you checked it over a full tank? What were the traffic conditions like? Are you getting this FE consistently?

And, what does she return on the highway?
Agreed.

In real world conditions, expect much less FE than what's indicated by ARAI, for the simple reason that when they achieve such figures, they're doing it under 'perfect' and calculated conditions wherein they leave it in the highest gear and and do a constant speed fluctuating only a little.
Old 21st November 2012, 22:54   #1468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
Hi,

BTW - my 85RXL is giving 19.5-20 kmpl this month which is all city driving. How much are you getting?

Cheers!
This sounds too good to be true Are you reporting this from the MID after allowing it to average out for one full tank at least if not more? Have you done a manual calculation to double check if the MID is not reporting bad numbers? Because if you can get ARAI figures in full city driving then manufacturers will hire you for their R&D immediately!
Old 22nd November 2012, 00:12   #1469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
That does sound like a long wait. Here at Bangalore I have a friend who got delivery of his 85 couple weeks back, he had booked it on July 20th. However he did not get the color he wanted (brown). He compromised on the grey. The only suggestion I can give is to check with the dealer if any other color in 85 is available quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Hi hsr, I had booked 85 RXL (White) on 12th July and got it delivered on 27th Sept (2.5 Months). This was at Renault Thane. During the waiting period, dealer did try telling me that i will get a call from Renault with delivery schedule etc. One day (Saturday, so lot of potential customers in) I just banged into the showroom and started throwing lot of tantrums around and making lot of Halla. The team leader then took me aside and made me speak to his Head of sorts, that guy promised me a delivery in 7 days and they lived upto it.

So try different tactics with these guys, also try writing / calling Renault as many times as possible.

All the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
Hi hsr,

I booked my 85RXL in Delhi on july 2 and picked it up on August 21: booking before the launch definitely helped. But then so did tri-weekly visits to the dealership while sitting and staring at the showroom manager in his office. Also chat them up and get the inside info on the situation not the standard spiel they put across. Ultimately I learned I was getting the second or third cancelled allotment of the 85RXL just by showing my face. It's almost like a sales job

SO hsr keep the pressure on in subtle ways by making your presence and patience felt by constant reminders.

Cheers!
Thanks guys for the advises & concern.
After endless coffees & Hu hulla with the manager, i am finally getting delivery of the Duster, probably next week.
But i am not taking 85 RXL,now i am going for 85 RXL+ Option pack.
Because i booked on 8th July, therefore my booking was price protected and i got 40k discount on OTR.
Earlier dealer was not agreeing on variant change, i was told if i change the variant the price protection would not be given,
Thanks to daily visits to showroom by Me & Dad,manager himself offered 85RXL+ Option pack with price protection.
Therefore now i am going for it,i am satisfied because now i getting safety features as well.
Bad part now i will not be able to change alloys instantly.
Nonetheless i am putting aside all the doubts & concerns.
Just waiting for Duster to come home
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:02   #1470
BHPian

Posting back to back,edit time ran out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Nope another Tbhpian from gurgaon also reported 20+ Kmpl city mileage, also posted pic of the trip computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Thanks, so 85bhp model is more FE & has better low end torque. Another factor in its favour for me would be the regular state of tune & not bumped up to 110. I would not want a car with this engine to be tuned for Power. The engine is not loaded with modern tech.

Sure 85 option pack has the safety kit but is priced similar to 110 variant. Im now deciding between 85 Base & middle/penultimate. Btw, does the base 85 variant have FE display meter?
85 RXE base model does not have Trip computer, but i fear dealer would take booking of RXE variant,here in Delhi dealer is not taking bookings of RXE variant
For the same price u can get either 85 RXL+Option pack or 110 RXL.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks