Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2012, 18:02   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
- other than a few, 90% of the market (does not care about / willing to live with) body roll, poor steering feel, bad shift quality etc; because realistically, 90% of people want ease of driving in traffic & reasonably quick ride
-
Isn't a good handling car supposed to ease driving? As an example, take WagonR on the highway and then a Punto. You need infinitely less concentration and hence can maintain much higher average speeds *safely* and will be much much safer in case of a high speed lane change emergency maneuver which is not an impossibility on Indian cities or highways.
What about braking? Remember a few meters shorter braking distance could be the difference between a crash or a near miss.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 18:56   #107
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Isn't a good handling car supposed to ease driving? As an example, take WagonR on the highway and then a Punto. You need infinitely less concentration and hence can maintain much higher average speeds *safely* and will be much much safer in case of a high speed lane change emergency maneuver which is not an impossibility on Indian cities or highways.
What about braking? Remember a few meters shorter braking distance could be the difference between a crash or a near miss.
I meant ease of driving in the city (meaning low end torque, less gear changes)
Also, AFAI can gather, the avg highway car driver cruises 70-80-90 sedately, lifting off the right pedal even for gradual, sweeping corners) - from the review, the quanto is adequate for these
Old 13th October 2012, 20:14   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I meant ease of driving in the city (meaning low end torque, less gear changes)
Also, AFAI can gather, the avg highway car driver cruises 70-80-90 sedately, lifting off the right pedal even for gradual, sweeping corners) - from the review, the quanto is adequate for these
I would expect a car costing more than 8 lakhs OTR Delhi to be good at more things than just pure city driving. For pure city driving only a WagonR CNG would turn out to be more economical (purchase price, longevity, running costs, maintenance costs) and even easier to drive.
Old 14th October 2012, 13:21   #109
Senior - BHPian

M&M has already received 5000+ bookings for this car. Who cares about all these discussions? The company is making money on a loss making platform (line). They are also planning for exports. If they have all these negative factors, then I wonder, whether it will succeed in a much refined markets of the countries like South Africa etc.

The bottom line is this car gives a good VFM. Rest all discussions will be okay.
snaronikar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 20:54   #110
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
M&M has already received 5000+ bookings for this car.

The bottom line is this car gives a good VFM. Rest all discussions will be okay.
I would echo the thoughts of snaronikar. The Quanto is extremely well positioned and VFM. In fact, it should eat into the market of many high end hatchbacks, like the Punto, Polo, Fabia, Jazz, etc.
Old 14th October 2012, 22:14   #111
Senior - BHPian

Though it is not too bad, but is 5000 bookings in the initial 3 weeks that great a figure considering it almost has no competitors in the price range? I mean the Duster got 6000 bookings within 5 days of its launch and the ertiga got 32000 bookings in the first month.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 09:31   #112
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Isn't a good handling car supposed to ease driving?
Quote:
take WagonR on the highway and then a Punto
If it's ease of driving, the WagonR wins hands down here.

Remember, all of us spend 99% of our driving kms within the city. Therefore, for an overwhelming majority of car owners, a car that performs better in the city (and not on the highway) is MUCH PREFERRED over a car that's excellent on the highway (but not in the city). If it's ease of driving that's the criteria, the WagonR blows the Punto out of the water.

It's a similar story with the Quanto. Not competent at all on the highway. Yet, within the city, it's awesome. Torquey driveable engine, superb view of the road ahead, steering is light enough (though not too light). Then, there's all that space. I don't know of too many 7 lakh Rupee cars that can fit a family of 5 with ease.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 15:55   #113
BHPian

Saw one in the flesh today, didn't look ugly to me, may be an average looker. But the oodles of space both on front and middle seats and the width of 1895 mm odd makes it a much bigger cabin then the Duster and the Ertiga for sure.
Old 18th October 2012, 20:31   #114
BHPian

I saw this car today, and may be I am so dumb, but I couldn't really spot the difference between this and the Xylo even in terms of size. It looked as big as the Xylo to me.
Old 19th October 2012, 16:50   #115
BHPian

Thanks for the great review GTO. I am contemplating on buying one. I would like to know what is the real time mileage quanto would return. Can you please share the mileage that quanto returned during your test drive and also any real time examples that you might have come across?

I would also like to know from forum users on the real time mileage of Quanto.

Thanks.
Old 19th October 2012, 20:02   #116
Senior - BHPian

Anybody in the forum has got the delivery of Quanto. If yes, then share the initial experience. It will be useful for the prospective buyers.
snaronikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 19:33   #117
Senior - BHPian

Saw one on road yesterday, as I was driving back to home through South Delhi roads. Coincidentally, the car owner resides near my home. The vehicle, which looked like a blown up Wagon-R (old model), was just managing on the smaller undulation (with 2 young girls in the 3rd row), but, I bet the girls would be jumping all over the 3rd row area ad the road conditions been bad.

I am not convinced this is the vehicle to own, but it is much better than owning a Bolero that I see on around my place. I would say, Bolero owners would be happy buying this, if they wish to go upscale. No other vehicle owner, even if owning Xylo or Sumo Grande, would buy this if he/ she is in sound state of mind & finances.
Old 20th October 2012, 19:46   #118
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
But the oodles of space both on front and middle seats and the width of 1895 mm odd makes it a much bigger cabin then the Duster and the Ertiga for sure.
Absolutely. The first two rows score on space, especially width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
I couldn't really spot the difference between this and the Xylo even in terms of size. It looked as big as the Xylo to me.
Well, the width is the same and the height nearly so . It's only runs shorter in length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder View Post
I would like to know what is the real time mileage quanto would return.
3-cylinder engines are inherently fuel efficient. Plus, the low turbo-lag means no revvs wasted. You could easily get 3+ kpl over a Scorpio or Safari in similar driving conditions.
Old 21st October 2012, 13:14   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar
Anybody in the forum has got the delivery of Quanto. If yes, then share the initial experience. It will be useful for the prospective buyers.
I own a Xylo. And for good 3 and a half years. Quanto is necessarily the same m-eagle engine with one cylinder chopped off. my vehicle has done almost 80k kms. I regularly get a millage of around 13 in city and almost 15 on highway with a light foot. If driven pedal to metal on highways, which should not be the case with Xylo and Quanto at all, I do receive a decent figure of 12. This figures are with AC running fully.

So with Quanto, you be sure to get around 15 in city.
Cheers
Abhijeet
coriollis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 20:56   #120
Senior - BHPian

I am also considering a change of vehicles and had requested for a test drive way back. Mahindra people have called 4 times to confirm if I have had one but the local dealer is not providing one. Lets see. Considering my useage the only thing that is bugging me as of now is the low ground clearance of my Marina, so with a higher GC I think I can replace Marina with either the Quanto or the Duster. But yet to make up my mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks