Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2013, 23:06   #961
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I am sure there are plenty more satisfied owners like me, who are not commenting, because there is nothing worth commenting so far.
I am one of them. I covered almost 6000 KM. No issues till now.
Old 21st May 2013, 07:30   #962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
That does instill a lot of confidence in me as a prospective buyer.
Now that leaves us with just one more question. Why isn't the improvement reflecting in the sales numbers vs. say an XUV or a Fortuner?
Is it because of perceived value or is the Storme over priced; especially for the VX version.
As per me there are two major reasons why the Storme is currently not selling as well as the Fortuner or the XUV.
1) Percieved poor quality/niggles in the Storme. Once bitten twice shy. It will take some time for Tata to allow the market to get confidence in Storme's quality and performance. They are on the right track with 1000 odd sales of Storme+Dicor each month, not dropping prices to get sales and having road shows all across India. Sales should increase and stabilize over time.

2) It is a battle of mass versus class, especially when compared to Mahindra cars, and I really mean no offense to existing Mahindra customers. Unfortunately in India, people seem to love the glitzy/bollyoood/blingy over the top styling of XUV/Scorpio and the amazingly cringe inducing interiors. Tata cars have a far understated/classier interiors compared to the Mahindra, plastic quality/fit and finish are or par, with Tatas getting in better plastic quality.

There is really no comparision with the Fortuner, because it is a good car, but in a far higher segment and people looking for a 30 lac car will not even look at a 15 lac product. For example if you are keen on buying the Storme, will you look at say a Rio?

When I was shopping for my SUV I had to choose between essentially 3 cars, the XUV W8, the Force One and the Dicor 2.2 (either VX or GX). I test drove all three and the reason I eliminated the Force One was just because of the association with Force, I liked the car, it was honest for its price, but to be saddled by the Force association and no after sales was going to be a problem. I hated the XUV interiors the OTP red colored instruments, the relatively narrow, dark interiors the quirky at best theme for the air con vents etc, although the car was mechanically very good for its price. Last test ride was on the Safari which I completed with expectation of things falling off, car dying on the road, squeaks/rattles etc all which I had read on this forum. However one test drive later I was so impressed with the comfort, the space, the interiors and the overall personality of the VX, that I went ahead and booked my car with eyes closed.
For about 3 months post purchase I used to think I am merely lucky not to have any problems when I first started the car for the day, infact I was almost expecting a big fault to emerge as I drove her out first time post delivery Such is the power of our forum and niggles thread. However the excellent after sales, the service center persons and the product itself, its been a blissful, peaceful 25k kms so far and counting . Cheers!!!
apachelongbow is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 09:01   #963
Senior - BHPian

I believe one of the major problems with the Storme not selling as well as the XUV or the Scorpio or the Duster is the perception people hold abut Tata Motors.

I recently test drove a Duster. After driving it and looking at the price list, the Storme seems to be reasonably priced. It is a big tough SUV and not something on a Logan Platform. At Rs 13.19 Laks ( O road Noida ) for a two wheel drice RZL , the Duster is atrotiously priced, but yet it is flying off the shelves.

I for one am awaiting for the Eco Sport. In case it is reasonably priced I will go for it ( every day practicality) otherwise I may wait for some time longer and go in for a Storme.

Last edited by DerAlte : 21st May 2013 at 10:13. Reason: Corrected OTR price
Old 21st May 2013, 09:27   #964
Senior - BHPian

Seeing as to how the Safari and the Bullet are very similar in the place they hold in the Indian public eye, and seeing as to how RE have increased annual sales 200% from 25,000 units just a few years ago (and which they had been doing for decades) to the current 75,000 units, maybe Safari needs to follow the RE gameplan.

Namely, give the public what they want. Not what you feel they need.

Make the Safari's insides like the largest selling competition, keeping cc ad power largely intact, add some bling and gadgetry, and keep the exterior shell looking essentially the same.

And then via slick marketing convince the public that its a totally improved modern package staying true to the heritage essence but with none of the old problems (buying a few years for new ones to emerge).

And finally, add a few zeros to the price, and create an artificial stock out situation with a half year waiting period, to add to the desirability snob factor.

P.S. Tongue firmly in cheek
Old 21st May 2013, 10:24   #965
Team-BHP Support

I know it is an often repeated scenario at Team BHP, but let me recount anyways...

I had gone to Shankar Motors, the authorized sales & service outlet for Tata Passenger division. My friend's 2.2 Dicor and a Nano had their service due.

You arrive at the gate, get down and take the service manual & stand in a queue of around 20 guys & there is just one guy for the service dispatch.

If your Car is taken, you (no SA, no mechanic) will have to take the Car inside the premises & park it as they ask to.

And then wait... 12 noon... lunch comes & goes (2pm) & now, your Car is taken to the ramp. There is complete disregard for your Car (okay, its the same at most ASC's, but a bit less, say at a MASS). Somehow, the Car is completed & you have to run pillar & post to pay for the service & obtain gate-pass.

What took the cake was the sales team. There is a certain Mr. Pandey who is at a good position in the Sales Team. We (my friend who owns 3, 2.2 VTT's) approach him for a TD of the Storme. He notes down my number (he already has the esteemed customer's number) and promises a call-back. This was at 10am.

We checked out various Cars there & later ask him to include Aria's TD as well, as I thought, this Car will suit my requirements better.

5:30 pm and after paying bills near the sales counter, we approach him again. As per him, in the past 6-7 hours, he couldn't find someone who could retrieve the Aria & Storme whose access was blocked by one lone Manza. Can you beat that?

I didn't have the guts to point him at the various Storme's & Aria's parked outside. And with folded hands, I requested to not call me, ever, for a TD & not give out my no. for any marketing purpose.

I think guys who understand binary will get where my friend is now headed at. He has a Scorpio (he runs a taxi biz) which has run 50K+ in past 11 months without any problem apart from routine maintenance.

He would be phasing all the Safaris ( as & when he gets good resale) in lieu of Innovas & would just keep one Safari as few customers demand it.

In case any of you wish to see as to how bad things are, please let me know if I can be of help.

Frankly, I never thought much about TM, but this experience ruins all (bad) experiences combined .

And before, any of you point out, I was properly dressed

Quoted Sir Jee that he may see as to how things stand at few places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM

Last edited by Sheel : 21st May 2013 at 10:38.
Old 21st May 2013, 11:38   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
and create an artificial stock out situation with a half year waiting period, to add to the desirability snob factor.

P.S. Tongue firmly in cheek
That they already do. I booked my storme in December and mentioned that I want a 2013 manufactured Lx black. the delivery time promised was 3 weeks, whilst they took 9 weeks and a lot of followup, emails and calls!
In the mean time they tried to compel me to buy a 2012 LX as they had more than 60 standing and even went on to tell me that the company has no plan to manufacture a 2013 till the stock clears !
They also tried to push me to the EX variant or change the colour I desired!

But i kept banging my head
and got what I wanted at last.
Old 21st May 2013, 14:05   #967
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I know it is an often repeated scenario at Team BHP, but let me recount anyways...

I had gone to Shankar Motors, the authorized sales & service outlet for Tata Passenger division. My friend's 2.2 Dicor and a Nano had their service due.
It was totally bizarre.

But my experience with them (Concorde, Bangalore) was totally different. I have never stood in the Q, i was asked to wait in the lounge. With 10-15 minutes the assigned service adviser comes and take note of my concerns, gives me acknowledgement and i leave.

Whenever they have to keep the car over night, they have provided me with a loaner car. always.. Actually , some of my friends and colleagues in office and apartment complex were totally surprised to see TATA giving me a loaner car. they never got a such facility for their cars which include, maruti's, GM, Hyundai, ford etc to name a few.

Further my experiance with TM dealers in south and central India was very good. They went out of their way to see that my concerns are solved, be at Tiruchirapalli, Kumbakonam, Tirupati, Bijapur, Vizag or Indore.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd May 2013 at 11:11. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 15:42   #968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
It was totally bizarre.

But my experience with them (Concorde, Bangalore) was totally different. I have never stood in the Q, i was asked to wait in the lounge. With 10-15 minutes the assigned service adviser comes and take note of my concerns, gives me acknowledgement and i leave.
I agree. I never have to stand in Q for servicing my Safari. I believe Safari and Aria owners are taken in first for servicing and their problems are attended to, immediately. I saw a lot of Nano, Manza and Vista owners looking at this preferencial treatement with green eyes and I believe a few even complained to the workshop manager, merely to be told that Safari owners have a preference
Old 21st May 2013, 15:58   #969
BHPian

Quote:
I saw a lot of Nano, Manza and Vista owners looking at this preferencial treatement with green eyes and I believe a few even complained to the workshop manager, merely to be told that Safari owners have a preference
Well, that preferential customer treatment isnt going to help Tata rev up the sales of the UV sector would it ? Sometime i feel bad for the expensive vehicles from TATA having issues of this scale as depicted in the team-bhp. I guess thats why to solace them they offer preferecial treatment.

Perhaps they should give equal treatment to all the vehicle owners. In long run its going to benfit both the customers and them. See Toyota for that matter.
roadjourno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 16:13   #970
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree. I never have to stand in Q for servicing my Safari. I believe Safari and Aria owners are taken in first for servicing and their problems are attended to, immediately. I saw a lot of Nano, Manza and Vista owners looking at this preferencial treatement with green eyes and I believe a few even complained to the workshop manager, merely to be told that Safari owners have a preference
I have Indica Vista Q jet. I have never stood in Q for service. Rather i got what i wanted in terms of date and loaner cars

I was even given a more than 100 Km test ride after service at their cost. ( Bangalore to almost Krishnagiri and back)
Old 21st May 2013, 16:24   #971
Senior - BHPian

The general perception is that Tata is a honest and fairly big hearted company. The general perception also is that the service and dealer side lets down the brand in terms of ownership experience and satisfaction.

I do not understand it frankly. Cause I have experienced the service guys at the dealership always cooperative and eager to please and go out of their way when and if necessary.

I also know that the only thing the dealer side guys truly fear is being hauled upby the company folks or being given a negative customer rating or complaint reaching the company folks.

But in spite of that, something seems to go wrong, and the story continues and the reputation gather steam and perpetuates itself.

Wonder what the issue is.
Old 21st May 2013, 23:49   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The general perception is that Tata is a honest and fairly big hearted company. The general perception also is that the service and dealer side lets down the brand in terms of ownership experience and satisfaction.

I do not understand it frankly. Cause I have experienced the service guys at the dealership always cooperative and eager to please and go out of their way when and if necessary.

I also know that the only thing the dealer side guys truly fear is being hauled upby the company folks or being given a negative customer rating or complaint reaching the company folks.

But in spite of that, something seems to go wrong, and the story continues and the reputation gather steam and perpetuates itself.

Wonder what the issue is.
BANG ON! Absolutely true.

But one thing I want them to alter is the method of Feedback collection. The call after the service center visit is fine, but the feedback they collect right before the billing isn't very useful. I say that because I always feel compelled to give them full 10/10 thinking they've done everything anyway. But then later I'm left with a "XYZ could've been better, but anyway..." feeling.

IMO, A business reply envelope would be best. Kindof felt this is a valid point so tweeted this to TaMo & Karl Slym. Got a warm "We'll look into it..." reply.

Also, have never waited even for Nano SA. Never even have had to give more than 1 day notice to take the car for service. Have almost always been a bit late instead of appointed time, but they were always welcoming.
Old 22nd May 2013, 08:34   #973
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I know it is an often repeated scenario at Team BHP,
Seems it is not...

Quote:
I do not think any preferential treatment is stated by you for Safari/Aria customers is prevalent here.

If not, why TM works different ways? Bizarre indeed if you ask me.

And would you like to be in the shoes of those Nano customers & see a Safari customer being given preference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
Well, that preferential customer treatment isnt going to help Tata rev up the sales of the UV sector would it ? Sometime i feel bad for the expensive vehicles from TATA having issues of this scale as depicted in the team-bhp. I guess thats why to solace them they offer preferecial treatment.

Perhaps they should give equal treatment to all the vehicle owners. In long run its going to benfit both the customers and them. See Toyota for that matter.
An Alto owner is in the same lounge as the GV & Kizashi customer, I really do not understand as to why Tata needs to do this? (Divide customers based on their pockets. What if the customer has a Nano for errands & an Aria 4X4 Prestige for highway use)

Quote:
I have Indica Vista Q jet. I have never stood in Q for service. Rather i got what i wanted in terms of date and loaner cars

I was even given a more than 100 Km test ride after service at their cost. ( Bangalore to almost Krishnagiri and back)
Do they cater differently to Aria/Safari customers @ Bangalore? Fellow member from Pune says they do.

Quote:
It was totally bizarre.

Quote:
Further my experiance with TM dealers in south and central India was very good. They went out of their way to see that my concerns are solved, be at Tiruchirapalli, Kumbakonam, Tirupati, Bijapur, Vizag or Indore.
Maybe you need to drive to North & North East India. Sumit B just did a 10,000 km trip in 2 Tata Safaris. He had 2 breakdowns as well (despite service 3-4 days ago prior to his trip commenced)

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd May 2013 at 08:39.
Old 22nd May 2013, 09:51   #974
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I do not think any preferential treatment is stated by you for Safari/Aria customers is prevalent here.

Do they cater differently to Aria/Safari customers @ Bangalore? Fellow member from Pune says they do.

Maybe you need to drive to North & North East India. Sumit B just did a 10,000 km trip in 2 Tata Safaris. He had 2 breakdowns as well (despite service 3-4 days ago prior to his trip commenced)
I have not seen any preferential treatment to ARIA/Safari customers at Concorde, Hosur road, Bangalore.

I do intend to drive to North and NE region in the near future and most probably in a TATA only
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:15   #975
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

On the Topic of Aria and Safari Service would like to share my views:

1) While being an Aria owner I always ALWAYS received preferential treatment. But is someone at say the reception was new and did not realize that I was an Aria Customer and expected to be treated as such then I made that person aware of my being an ARIA customer. (For example on not being given an appointment on the requested day or time I would just have to insist and mention that since I am an Aria customer I expected the to be given just the date and time I have requested.

2) The Aria and Safari Service Advisor at Wasan in Mumbai was a an allocated different Sr. SA and he only handled these vehicle and also Sumo (but sumo owners did not get preferential treatment). Also Aria and Safari Drivers (not owners) too were treated a bit differently .

3) They had two different customer lounge and the owners were given the option of moving to a more premium one on an upper floor if they were required to wait for a longer period for work to be finished. (Both lounge though had TV and AC but the quality of the fixtures was different). I think they offered this premium lounge to owners of other vehicles as well but not to drivers. And since it was located on a separate floor one would need to be invited to go to it.

4) Yes the method of taking customer feedback is quite silly though the intentions are good.

5) The Failure to appeal is in part due to product quality issues and also systems not being set in the right manner.

6) Yes both TATA and the Service Centre guys in general have good intentions and the idea is not to cause discomfort to the customers but in the absence of Jap methods & processes the intentions at times come to nothing.

Disclaimer: Have owned a TATA (Safari or Aria for 12+ years) but am not currently a TATA Customer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks