Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2015, 11:51   #2836
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefiu View Post
Well, all that buzz amounted to nothing (for the enthusiasts anyway). Looks like it was a teaser for an advert, that will end up on TV anyway.

Sigh...
It was an ad for Polo GT but there was a Cross Polo at the end.
Old 24th May 2015, 11:53   #2837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It was an ad for Polo GT but there was a Cross Polo at the end.
What a buzzkill. I have been dreaming of a GT TDi DSG and turns out to be just an advert.

Vid6639, in the end they just show the complete polo lineup.
Old 24th May 2015, 21:25   #2838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
It would make more sense for VW to plonk their GT TDi with the DSG. 1.6 petrol wont sell.

A manual GT TSi also doesn't make sense as the USP of this car is DSG only.

Ok, Assuming its the GT TDi DSG \m/ What price point do you expect it to be. Current GTs retail for 8.5 lacs ex Showroom delhi.
Yes, i don't think VW will bring back the 1.6 petrol. It didn't sell well then and I doubt situation is any different now (I think 1.2 TSi is maybe better than the 1.6). Manual TSi may be lapped up by those enthusiasts who have been keeping away from it due to the DSG (though these may be very few in numbers).

GT TDI with DSG may be awesome. I'm not sure how much that would work to and if any excise duties may increase, but just shoe-horning the DSG in is in the ballpark of Rs. 90K - 1.2L rupees..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
................... Tighten the rear suspension, add rear disc brakes @ ₹20K, add xenon headlights with DRLs and some body kit about @ ₹75K and you can casily price a 1.4 GTI with manual transmission, that looks the part at about ₹ 9.25L to ₹ 9.50L ex showroom.
1.4 TSi I doubt will come that cheap, with just a 30k-40k increase. VW is in a cost cutting-cum-managing spree, so all those features are doubtful too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
...... For all we know, VW is merely creating a buzz amongst their Facebook fan base. If you go back to the page, you will see a GT-advert that was posted a day after the teaser.
Suhaas, I still think it wasn't the advert that warranted the post (as we discussed). Let's wait and see.

Last edited by k_ajay : 24th May 2015 at 21:27.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 00:32   #2839
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crskumar View Post
An alternative to Aliexpress (where I got mine from for $105 DHL shipped) and Vagtune (13.75K is premium) is JJ motorwerks in Bangalore. He quoted 7.6K for normal and 9K for GTI (with cup holder). He said he will have them by the end of the month. You can check out his facebook page for more details.
So I bought and installed an Armrest. The one with the cup holder and leather cover.

Attempted a DIY, which was not so easy, almost ended up breaking some parts of the plastic around the handbrake. Eventually everything worked out well, specially because I had all the right tools and was able to tighten all 4 screws.

Interestingly while searching for a source to buy I came across unitedcustomz.in, which turned out to be cheapest of the lot at 8k. Packing wasn't original and it seems to be re-packed, but it was new and wrapped in plastic, with some parts of Chinese documentation still there. The problem with aliexpress was the delivery period and the uncertainty about custom duty.

Last edited by SLK : 28th May 2015 at 00:34.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 20:07   #2840
BHPian

Guys got an anti glare blue ORVM from aliexpress. It also has integrated turn signals. Do anyone know which is the best way to connect the blinkers without cutting wires ? Any reliable place in chennai ?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-wp_20150528_19_57_00_pro.jpg  

drpudhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 20:54   #2841
Team-BHP Support

The mirror has a 10 pin connector. I am not sure if they have the wiring in place for the indicators. 2 pins out of those also goes for the mirror heating feature which isn't available here either. A capable VAG garage will be able to do it IMO.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 13:35   #2842
Senior - BHPian

Quirky ad on Polo GT.

Link

The ad may be a tiny bit overboard but rest assured, one drive in either of the GT's and you can never argue what is the message from the ad.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 18:23   #2843
Senior - BHPian

Why would they bring back the 1.6? Its a legacy engine and was never popular even in its first innings.

Customers have embraced the 1.2 turbo engine so if I had to guess VW will try to improve on that.

Is the so called 'old 1.2' being used in any other market? It may be one of those things where they just don't want to keep making old and new side by side and switch-over everything to the all new (like Honda typically does)

Quote:

FYI, the photos you've put up for reference are that of Xenons in regular projectors w/ LED DRLs and not actual LED headlamps.
OK is it safe to say this this new model will at leaset have HIDs?

Here is the latest Euro version
http://www.volkswagen.de/de/models/d...o/gallery.html

Last edited by Mpower : 1st June 2015 at 01:29.
Old 31st May 2015, 00:28   #2844
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Is the so called 'old 1.2' being used in any other market? It may be one of those things where they just don't want to keep making old and new side by side and switch-over everything to the all new (like Honda typically does)

OK is it safe to say this this new model will at lease have HIDs?

Here is the latest Euro version
http://www.volkswagen.de/de/models/d...o/gallery.html
Not sure if the EA111 is in service in other markets. What I've heard is that India is the proverbial dumping-ground for this motor and since the engine is being phased out globally, they may have to go with the new gen EA211. However, the new gen engine is supposedly engineered specifically for the new-gen MQB-platform VAG cars. So I'm not sure.

The new-gen Polo still hasn't seen the light of day. A global-unveil is expected sometime next year, so there is no chance of an 'all new' model of the Polo in India.

I suspect India will not see the MQB Polo, at least for a few years, owing to huge costs and investments to be incurred by VW for manufacturing the car. I also suspect that VW is not done face-lifting and refreshing the Polo and the other cars based on the platform.

The Euro Polo is heavily loaded with all-LED headlights, sunroof, new gen HU, among other things. It's hard to say if our Polo will come with HIDs. Heck, I'm not even sure if there is an all new model in the first place! We'll have to wait and watch for now.
Old 2nd June 2015, 20:09   #2845
BHPian

Considering they have updated the FB page cover photo with the current GT with the "respect" tagline, I have given up all hope that there IS some new model on the horizon..
Old 2nd June 2015, 23:19   #2846
BHPian

Guys, I have booked a Polo GT TSI and expect the delivery in 10 days time. I am moving on from a Ford Fiesta 2007 TDCi which I have thoroughly enjoyed over the last 8 years (1.1 lac km) and though the choice may indicate a deviation from the previous purchase (hatchback, petrol and automatic transmission, as against sedan, diesel and manual) it's well thought of. Usually it is just 2 occupants including me, and sometimes 3, and rarely if ever above 4. I don't go on long journeys, mostly city commuting and some nearby weekend trips. I like to drive myself and though in the past I had driver, I prefer driving. I enjoy a capable vehicle with sorted dynamics and good build.

Frankly I had not limited my search by fuel, transmission or vehicle shape/size. I had a negative list of manufacturers and a smaller preferred list of vehicles. I loved Linea (and Punto) for their ride, but could not adjust to the ergonomics (suited for taller Europeans) after repeated test drives. The New Fiesta was an obvious choice, but I find the manufacturer disinterested in selling a wonderful machine in Indian market, preferring to push a popular crossover hatch instead. Skoda Rapid was a very close option but I was put off by the sales experience. Vento was ruled out for its weaker (or softer) suspension. The GT twins always appealed to me, and the automatic provided additional incentive to go for the excellent TSI. So, combined together, the choice was a combination of emotion and reason, just like my previous purchase (when I had tried hatches and sedans in both petrol and diesel). I see the GT TSI as an engaging, competent and convenient car which topped my charts in the 12 lac budget I earmarked.

Fellow TSI owners and enthusiasts, I have a few queries that I need your suggestions on. Can you please help me with these? Thanks.

1. I would like better grip, lower noise/vibration and improved braking than the stock tyres. I wish to upgrade the tyres, but not upsize the stock rims. Would you suggest 195/60 tyres or 205/55 tyres? I have been happy with Michelin in my earlier vehicle and would prefer the same brand over the harder Yokohamas. I am not looking for performance, but handling and comfort. What has been your experience with the above sizes? Also, is there even a small chance that any of these can invalidate the warranty? In that case I shall go for Michelin in same size.

2. I am going for the two year extended warranty. Is there any way this can be extended beyond four years? Also, is there a maintenance/service AMC that may be worth?

3. I live in Thane and travel within Eastern suburbs mostly. There aren't any high Octane pumps (please tell me any within Thane-Mahape). How important is fuel quality for the engine? I have read that high octane improves performance and fuel efficiency of the TSI, I don't mind the performance and efficiency I saw in the TD car. But I would go hunting for high octane if it is required to maintain the engine healthy for longer. Is that so? And can one use some additives with normal petrol to get the same benefit? IF so, which one?

3. Of the D, S and the Triptronic, which is easier on the DSG? I guess D mode has max shifts. So theoretically driving in S mode would prolong life of the transmission, right? I know I am being pedantic here, but just surmising. How many of you actually prefer the Triptronic mode over the auto up shifts?

4. I am very fond of the excellent speakers in my old Fiesta. Since the TSI would be my new primary ride. I am wondering if I can swap the speakers with those in it. Would you confirm if it is the HU or the speakers that are the limiting factor in the TSI's stock audio sound quality? Also, would such a swap (if worthwhile and possible) impact the warranty (in which case I don't want to do it).

5. Any good suggestions on high quality mats for the car? I loved the premium mats in the Fiesta and they lasted all this while.

6. Is there a user manua, pdf on the net or with any of you? I'd like to acquaint myself by the time I get the delivery of the car.

7. Any other suggestions you'd want me to consider or keep in mind?

Thank you and enjoy your drives.
sachinchavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 02:11   #2847
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Difficult questions, I'll try and answer some:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinchavan View Post

1. ...I have been happy with Michelin in my earlier vehicle and would prefer the same brand over the harder Yokohamas. I am not looking for performance, but handling and comfort...
No experience with the my GT, but generally performance is high speed + handling. So if not looking for performance, sticking to the same size won't hurt if you have good rubber. Personally I've had better experience with Bridgestone compared to Michelin (specifically XM 1/ 1+)

Quote:
3. . . How important is fuel quality for the engine? I have read that high octane improves performance and fuel efficiency of the TSI, I don't mind the performance and efficiency I saw in the TD car. . .
My car has done about 3k, and only once I used a full tank of Speed 97. I did not find much difference in driving (there was some smoothness) and almost no difference in FE. With the Rs. 16/l difference, I'd rather stick to normal fuel.

Quote:
3.... Of the D, S and the Triptronic, which is easier on the DSG? I guess D mode has max shifts. So theoretically driving in S mode would prolong life of the transmission, right? ....
I use the D. S is a drag for normal driving and Triptronic is too many gears to count.
Since I use the car for daily commute, I do care about FE, and I think D does a reasonable job there. This engine is not the most economical beyond 2k rpm, D keeps it below 2k and still fast enough. Too many shifts in D, well, I hope that is not going to be a problem!

Quote:
5. Any good suggestions on high quality mats for the car? I loved the premium mats in the Fiesta and they lasted all this while.
Get some 3D mats, you might have to cut them for the dead pedal but they are good and easy to clean.

Quote:
6. Is there a user manua, pdf on the net or with any of you? I'd like to acquaint myself by the time I get the delivery of the car.
No couldn't find any, when I tried before buying the car.

Quote:
7. Any other suggestions you'd want me to consider or keep in mind?
DSG is different from a normal auto and (I feel) it maybe less tolerant too .... Don't give it to your driver and it should serve you well.

Last edited by SLK : 3rd June 2015 at 02:12.
SLK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 03:39   #2848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if the EA111 is in service in other markets. What I've heard is that India is the proverbial dumping-ground for this motor and since the engine is being phased out globally, they may have to go with the new gen EA211. However, the new gen engine is supposedly engineered specifically for the new-gen MQB-platform VAG cars. So I'm not sure
Knowing VW, they like to flog old engines as long as they can.

BTW, how do you distinguish between the 2 ?
Don't think the power went up?

Quote:
The Euro Polo is heavily loaded with all-LED headlights, sunroof, new gen HU, among other things. It's hard to say if our Polo will come with HIDs. Heck, I'm not even sure if there is an all new model in the first place! We'll have to wait and watch for now.
All new Polo is at least or two away. Still no sighing of cammo cars.

If this new teaser turns out to be the Euro Polo with all the goodies and still the existing engine, thats good enough for me
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 10:41   #2849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Difficult questions, I'll try and answer some:
Thanks SLK.

I found the ride in the TD car sending road vibrations through the seats, especially on concrete roads that are not as smooth as metal roads. This is almost absent in my Fiesta after I moved from the stock MRF to better tyres, first Bridgstone and especially Michelin. My main reason would be to reduce these road vibrations passed through the tyres and secondly to improve the steering weight and braking quality.

Any particular brand Of 3D mats? Can one order online anywhere?

Not that I intend giving it to a driver. But theoretically shouldn't an AT be more immune to driver style than an MT because it has its own logic of changing gears?

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2015 at 11:02. Reason: Removed bulk quoted post
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:22   #2850
Distinguished - BHPian

Some inputs from my side.

Quote:

2. I am going for the two year extended warranty. Is there any way this can be extended beyond four years? Also, is there a maintenance/service AMC that may be worth?
Nope. Cannot be extended beyond 4 years. Have not seen any AMC package so far.

Quote:
3. I live in Thane and travel within Eastern suburbs mostly. There aren't any high Octane pumps (please tell me any within Thane-Mahape). How important is fuel quality for the engine?
It runs fine on the regular fuel. But folks who have used Octane 97 have noticed a significant difference. Note: You need to go through at least 2-3 tankfuls of high octane fuel to see the difference.

Quote:
3. Of the D, S and the Triptronic, which is easier on the DSG? I guess D mode has max shifts. So theoretically driving in S mode would prolong life of the transmission, right? I know I am being pedantic here, but just surmising. How many of you actually prefer the Triptronic mode over the auto up shifts?
Driven my Vento TSI for ~18K km now. Have used the tiptronic only once or twice. In real world driving, you will not feel the need for it apart from very specific situation (say coming down a steep ghat section). The D and S mode takes care of most conditions. Of course to unleash the full power of the TSI engine, you can use it to have some fun.

Quote:
4. I am very fond of the excellent speakers in my old Fiesta. Since the TSI would be my new primary ride. I am wondering if I can swap the speakers with those in it. Would you confirm if it is the HU or the speakers that are the limiting factor in the TSI's stock audio sound quality? Also, would such a swap (if worthwhile and possible) impact the warranty (in which case I don't want to do it).
Several folks here (including me), have swapped the head unit with the Philadelphia 835 or the Dynavin N6. Based on what I have read, the improvement in sound quality is marginal. So I would assume the speakers should be the one to be changed first. Technically as long as there is no cutting of wires etc.., warranty should not be impacted. But with VW you never know.

Quote:
Not that I intend giving it to a driver. But theoretically shouldn't an AT be more immune to driver style than an MT because it has its own logic of changing gears?
In general drivers tend to drive with a heavy foot and tend to change gears a lot (especially drivers used to driving the older cars/MUV's- We have a driver for an Etios in the family, If the speed drops to 40 he drops to 2nd gear even though Etios can comfortably pull in 4th gear at 40. It is just something that is ingrained). Although an AT has it its own logic, it is still very dependent on the throttle input. Most AT's respond best when driven with a light foot which drivers typically are not used to doing. In addition, given the complexity of the DSG, it makes sense to treat it well-which a driver may not do.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks