Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:33   #2851
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Thanks Rajeevraj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

It runs fine on the regular fuel. But folks who have used Octane 97 have noticed a significant difference. Note: You need to go through at least 2-3 tankfuls of high octane fuel to see the difference.
I started using ordinary diesel (from company pumps only) in my Fiesta after High speed diesel started vanishing from pumps. But I used the BPCL additive System-D with it. It helped keep the engine sound by cleaning the diesel. There is a similar additive System G for petrol, I understand. Any views on whether using it with normal unleaded petrol is advised/beneficial?

Quote:
Have used the tiptronic only once or twice. In real world driving, you will not feel the need for it apart from very specific situation (say coming down a steep ghat section).
I feel S mode could be used during uphill and downhill as the mode keeps you in lower gears. Apart from additional torque uphill, it will also bring in some engine braking during descend. Would you agree?

Quote:
Most AT's respond best when driven with a light foot which drivers typically are not used to doing.
I shall keep that in mind. Thanks!
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:38   #2852
Distinguished - BHPian

My GT TSI is about 6 months old and has done about 2,500 kms in this period. It is driven by two drivers with varied driving styles and habits. Most of these 2500 kms have been within streets of Bangalore. I took the car to Shimoga once, which was only highway run the car has seen. Offlate the car is used over extreme short distances of about 1 km per drive as I have relocated my office closer to home. its hardly seen open stretches of road lately.

Of late I started getting a feeling that the DSG box was not shifting up as smoothly and definitively as it did when it was new. It was holding on to gears a little longer, not shifting up to higher gears quickly and there was definitely some hesitation. It could be that two different drivers and the very short distances messed up the DSG logic. I searched around a bit and found that there was a procedure to reset the DSG memory. Akshay1234 too mentioned it in this post of his http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3487457

I did that and Voila!, the DSG behaviour is back to what it was when I took delivery. Smooth upshifts, no hesitation and very less of that jerky behaviour. No mattter what VW says, their DSG box is still a fussy piece of equipment.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 3rd June 2015 at 14:39.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:38   #2853
BHPian

My 2 bits for your queries, though other have answered also, I will answer those where I have a different input:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinchavan View Post

1. I would like better grip, lower noise/vibration and improved braking than the stock tyres. I wish to upgrade the tyres, but not upsize the stock rims. Would you suggest 195/60 tyres or 205/55 tyres? I have been happy with Michelin in my earlier vehicle and would prefer the same brand over the harder Yokohamas. I am not looking for performance, but handling and comfort. What has been your experience with the above sizes? Also, is there even a small chance that any of these can invalidate the warranty? In that case I shall go for Michelin in same size.
Most of the people who have upgraded are happy with Yoko s drives 205/55/15 or 205/50/16. They find the tyres grippy and at the same time comfortable. I however have P3ST in 195/60/15 and am generally happy with the tyres. They're comfortable and quiet and even during hard cornering, i haven't had any tyre squeal. So its up to you. BTW, Yokos in 205 are cheaper than P3ST in 195. But if its a money no concern kind of purchase, and you are up for changing wheel size also, then go for Pirelli P7 in 205/50/16

Quote:
3. How important is fuel quality for the engine? I have read that high octane improves performance and fuel efficiency of the TSI, I don't mind the performance and efficiency I saw in the TD car. But I would go hunting for high octane if it is required to maintain the engine healthy for longer. Is that so? And can one use some additives with normal petrol to get the same benefit? IF so, which one?
I used speed which is 91 octane plus some detergents/additives, which is usually good enough for stock cars. But since the remap, its been on 97 exclusively, which is recommended for optimum performance. Others have used 93 octane on stock cars and find a definite improvement in performance. I suggest you go for better fuel ie Speed or 93 octane, which are not priced too much above the normal petrol.

Quote:
3. Of the D, S and the Triptronic, which is easier on the DSG? I guess D mode has max shifts. So theoretically driving in S mode would prolong life of the transmission, right? I know I am being pedantic here, but just surmising. How many of you actually prefer the Triptronic mode over the auto up shifts?
D with a light foot is the most relaxed and will take the least toll on engine and gearbox. S mode is practically useless IMO as it revs to above the peak power and torque band of the engine. But, if you want to have fun then S mode with a lighter foot would be the best. Mind you, the mileage will be slightly poorer. Tiptronic is used mostly for drags and quick getaways from traffic lights . But for some good fun, get paddles.

Quote:
4. I am very fond of the excellent speakers in my old Fiesta. Since the TSI would be my new primary ride. I am wondering if I can swap the speakers with those in it. Would you confirm if it is the HU or the speakers that are the limiting factor in the TSI's stock audio sound quality? Also, would such a swap (if worthwhile and possible) impact the warranty (in which case I don't want to do it).
I have swapped the stock speakers with focal 165 VW integration ones. Straight swap since they have the VW connector. So no problems with warranty and no wires cut. Have kept the stock HU for now. the output is much better through the full range low mid and high. the vocals are much improved. A must to go for considering the price they come at and no amp required. I have been advised not to go for an amp since it might overload the alternator, which may in turn impact the mechatronics unit of the dsg.

Quote:
5. Any good suggestions on high quality mats for the car? I loved the premium mats in the Fiesta and they lasted all this while.
I have star 3D mats, and find them good. it does not have a cut out for dead pedal, but after usage the mat has settled over the dead pedal.

Quote:
7. Any other suggestions you'd want me to consider or keep in mind?
Dsg is a learning unit and may become sluggish if driven sedately for a while. so intermittent thrashing is required to keep it alive. and as many owners say about the GT, 'drive it like you stole it'. Its the most fun way of driving this machine.

All the best with your GT.

Last edited by GTO : 7th August 2015 at 20:00. Reason: No discussion on offsite groups & pages please
lalittalwar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:49   #2854
BHPian

Thanks Santosh. That's useful bit of tip for all. Did you mean DSG is fussy or fuzzy (as in using fuzzy logic)? Did you face any other problems with it after this was solved? My second TD was very long, for over an hour and I felt that the DSG had some kind of a memory. Like if I have just driven through a hilly area, it will take some time before it realises that now we are on flat road, and vice versa. Memory is essential for adaptive learning, and so it works both ways.
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:08   #2855
BHPian

Lalit Talwar, your replies are illuminating, to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
I however have P3ST in 195/60/15 and am generally happy with the tyres.
I don't want to upsize beyond a point, and the added wall height of 195/60 would improve the ride. Can you tell me what are the main differentiators between XM2, PLC and P3ST, all three from Michelin stable? Being in Mumbai wet road braking is important and so is ride quality. I won't be pushing the car to its limits. Which one of the three would you suggest if price is not a deciding factor? I would prefer staying with Michelin than trying another brand based on my experience.

Quote:
I suggest you go for better fuel ie Speed or 93 octane, which are not priced too much above the normal petrol.
Surely, if I do find it here.

Quote:
I have swapped the stock speakers with focal 165 VW integration ones. Straight swap since they have the VW connector.
Thanks, it seems to have good reviews on Amazon and available at $289/Rs 19000. Where did you source them from?

Quote:
we have a GT owners whatsapp group running. PM me if you are interested in joining once you get your car.
Thank you.
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:59   #2856
BHPian

Quote:
Lalit Talwar, your replies are illuminating, to say the least.

I don't want to upsize beyond a point, and the added wall height of 195/60 would improve the ride. Can you tell me what are the main differentiators between XM2, PLC and P3ST, all three from Michelin stable? Being in Mumbai wet road braking is important and so is ride quality. I won't be pushing the car to its limits. Which one of the three would you suggest if price is not a deciding factor? I would prefer staying with Michelin than trying another brand based on my experience.
XM2 is a green tyre, so I think it will be slightly harder and will last longer that P3ST. PLC, if I am not wrong, was a previous gen tyre which had softer sidewalls. P3ST was supposed to be its replacement so it should be better, though I have no experience with PLC. There is a thread on P3ST. I suggest you go through it. but, if you have your heart set on Michelin, the go for P3ST. it is an overall good tyre. braking is considerably better than stock.

Quote:
Surely, if I do find it here.
Speed should be available at any decent BP outlet. 97 is harder to find. Never really searched for IOC 93 octane.

Quote:
Thanks, it seems to have good reviews on Amazon and available at $289/Rs 19000. Where did you source them from?
I bought them from ebay.in http://www.ebay.in/itm/131498513668?...84.m1439.l2649

Costs 6700 a pair, but was able to use a 9% discount coupon . So, net price was 12200 for a pair. dispatched next day via blue dart and received the day after that. Completely satisfied with the product and purchase experience.
lalittalwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:26   #2857
BHPian

Quote:
I bought them from ebay
Costs 6700 a pair, but was able to use a 9% discount coupon . So, net price was 12200 for a pair. dispatched next day via blue dart and received the day after that. Completely satisfied with the product and purchase experience.
Thanks. Do they go in the front or the rear? And what about the other pair... do the stocks blend with these in the sound effect?
Old 3rd June 2015, 22:31   #2858
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rajeevraj.
I feel S mode could be used during uphill and downhill as the mode keeps you in lower gears. Apart from additional torque uphill, it will also bring in some engine braking during descend. Would you agree?
!
Yes, that is definitely sufficient with most ghat sections. In some specific scenarios you get a feel that the if in D mode, you are in a higher gear than your are comfortable with, but in S mode it is in a lower gear than needed. Such situations the tiptronic helps.
Old 3rd June 2015, 22:37   #2859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I bought them from ebay.in http://www.ebay.in/itm/131498513668?...84.m1439.l2649

Same here! I too bought two sets of coaxials from him. Reliable seller. I haven't installed them yet. Did you use the rivets (like OEM) to install this or did you use the supplied screws to install it?

I didn't go for components because i want the install to be discrete and didn't want to put any extra holes.

Also picked up an used RCD510, yet to install that too.

Quote:
Thanks. Do they go in the front or the rear? And what about the other pair... do the stocks blend with these in the sound effect?
They can be fixed at either front or back, mounts in stock location.

Last edited by Sankar : 3rd June 2015 at 22:38.
Old 4th June 2015, 11:10   #2860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varadha_r View Post
Why pay Rs. 9 lakh OTR for a TSI hatch when you can get a t-jet for Rs. 10.5 lakh - bigger engine, more space, more features, better handling, boot ?
I evaluated both these options. I agree T-Jet is a very capable vehicle, but I could not get over the driver ergonomics which inspite of all adjustments could not suit me. They really need to improve the tilt and reduce the clutch travel.
Old 4th June 2015, 11:40   #2861
BHPian

I find a lot of reviews and posts here suggesting the GT duo could have been externally differentiated form the other Polo variants, either by way of styling or badging. However, I prefer it the way it is - understated. Making the GT look premium would have impacted the demand for the non GT variants. On the other hand, those who like GT would buy it, irrespective of the undifferentiated looks. One would want to benefit from the technology in it and not be interested in announcing to the world that one owns it. On the other hand, I t is true that to some extent we derive our identity from our possessions.
Old 4th June 2015, 15:00   #2862
BHPian

Quote:
They can fit either front or back, but i suggest you install in front if you are going for only 1 pair. I know people who have installed 2 and are happy with it. The stocks will blend in. you may need to tweak the fader to achieve best output. My suggestion keep it a little front biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Same here! I too bought two sets of coaxials from him. Reliable seller. I haven't installed them yet. Did you use the rivets (like OEM) to install this or did you use the supplied screws to install it?
I got them installed from an accessories fitter at the VW showroom i bought the car from. He used screws since he did not have rivets. but it was quite tedious and he could manage to fit only 3 screws in front instead of 4. Rear he could manage all 4. I suggest you go to a place that can do rivets.

Also, ensure that the existing rivets are removed with a drill and not a hammer.

Quote:
I didn't go for components because i want the install to be discrete and didn't want to put any extra holes.
Same here. I was evaluating the Golf components from Ali. but dropped because of the same reason.

Quote:
Also picked up an used RCD510, yet to install that too.
What about bluetooth module? getting 9W2 or 9W7? I have also been thinking of getting RCD510, but the lack of bluetooth module is a deterrent.
Old 10th June 2015, 16:47   #2863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
My attempts to testdrive the Polo-Tsi didn’t succeed in Bangalore, so thought of doing so on my visit to Mumbai. Walked into Volkswagen North Mumbai’s showroom and was introduced to a “Polo-expert” and here are her comments:
Also happened to walk into VW Mumbai North about two weeks back for a test drive of the GT TSI. Had to wait for 20 minutes to be attended to. Finally a sales representative walked up once i got furious Couldnt get a feel of the machine as it was a weekend and the roads were congested. Was promised a test drive of the vehicle in Bandra Kurla Complex, which has better roads and conditions but yet to hear back from them

Last edited by ampere : 10th June 2015 at 17:31. Reason: Removed bulk of the quoted post
Old 11th June 2015, 00:24   #2864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused_soul View Post
Also happened to walk into VW Mumbai North about two weeks back for a test drive of the GT TSI. Had to wait for 20 minutes to be attended to. Finally a sales representative walked up once i got furious Couldnt get a feel of the machine as it was a weekend and the roads were congested. Was promised a test drive of the vehicle in Bandra Kurla Complex, which has better roads and conditions but yet to hear back from them
You can call Global Gallarie Thane. They have a TSI for TD. They may bring it to your place. These guys have been selling a lot of TSI models.
Old 13th June 2015, 14:51   #2865

Just read a review about the new Honda Jazz at

http://indianautosblog.com/2015/06/2...-review-181263

The verdict section says " ... this is no Polo GT TSI which gets a high-end turbocharged petrol engine and a 7-speed DSG, but for ordinary buyers, the Jazz CVT should more than suffice. "

That made me smile wide . This may be a good time for VW to flank Honda by promoting GT TSI vigorously. Surely a number of prospective Jazz buyers will be tempted to choose GT TSI when they see the huge difference between both.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks