Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2015, 05:13   #2881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr View Post
Does anyone who recently took delivery of the TSI got their cars delivered with the Goodyear tyres? I did the PDI for my car and noticed the tyres to be Goodyear (84T rated) and the sales rep says the TSI comes fitted with these tyres as well as the Apollos.

Not sure if the tyres are OEM for this car of they got switched at the dealership!
One of the Mumbai members who picked up their Tsi last week also got Goodyear. It seems to be the stock offering now on VWs as well as Skodas.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 09:24   #2882
BHPian

Guys, I have a problem with my GT TSI. This has occured many times. Whenever the gear changes from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, there is a huge jerk which occurs. It doesnr happen everytime but when it does.. it throws the passengers like ping pong balls. I find this very scary. Have any of you experienced this? Is there any fix for this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st July 2015 at 15:41. Reason: Removing unwanted spacing.
Old 30th June 2015, 09:27   #2883
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayush1434 View Post
Guys, I have a problem with my GT TSI. This has occured many times. Whenever the gear changes from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, there is a huge jerk which occurs. It doesnr happen everytime but when it does.. it throws the passengers like ping pong balls. I find this very scary. Have any of you experienced this? Is there any fix for this problem?

Thanks in advance.
I am also experiencing this intermittently. Spoke to VW service guys but didnt get a proper solution.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st July 2015 at 15:41. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 30th June 2015, 10:38   #2884
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayush1434 View Post

Thanks in advance.
How old is your car? Some jerky movement while braking when the gear box executes a downshift is quite common. But when you say "it throws the passengers like ping pong balls" it sounds very abnormal .

Try resetting the DSG memory by following this procedure http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3487457

I had some jerking issues with my GT TSI as well . I topped up some oil and followed this procedure. Its a lot smother now. Link

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st July 2015 at 15:41. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 30th June 2015, 19:26   #2885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
So the RCD 320 does recognise 64 GB SD cards?
Is that the standard HU fitted in Polo? Then yes. But only when formatted as FAT and not ExFAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr View Post
Does anyone who recently took delivery of the TSI got their cars delivered with the Goodyear tyres? I did the PDI for my car and noticed the tyres to be Goodyear (84T rated) and the sales rep says the TSI comes fitted with these tyres as well as the Apollos.

Not sure if the tyres are OEM for this car of they got switched at the dealership!
I took delivery three weeks ago in Thane and it came with MRF. I upgraded immediately to Michelin XM2 same size. The ride, braking and handling are now far better than the TD car I tried.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th June 2015 at 19:30. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts. Thanks.
sachinchavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 22:02   #2886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
So, this happened earlier today. A detailed initial ownership thread coming up soon.

Can i take the liberty to call this a "face-lift"

PS: Sorry for quoting an old post but i am reading it only now.
Old 1st July 2015, 14:00   #2887
BHPian

MODS: I posted this on the Vento thread, but since the Polo GT TSI has the same engine, thought may be relevant to also post here as well.

The last two weeks I've noticed the Vento TSI idles at 950rpm, instead of 900.

I took it to the workshop, and the following observations were made:
- When tested at standstill, after a while, the tachometer drops to 900rpm if the AC is switched off, and will drop to 920/920rpm with the AC on. However, when I checked this after driving back home from the workshop, I noticed it was no longer dropping to 900rpm. Guess it will do this only once the engine has a chance to cool down, otherwise it stays at 950rpm.

- We tested another TSI (2500km on the ODO) at the workshop, and similar behavior was observed. However, while it was at 950rpm for a few minutes after being started, it was quicker to go down to 900rpm, and even with the AC on, was at 910rpm, max.

The workshop assumed it was because of the hot weather, because the engine compensates according to environmental conditions, but this has only started happening recently, so am skeptical. Told them will observe behaviour for longer, and then get back to them.

So, two questions from the community:
- what could be the possible reasons here?
- TSI owners, could you please check the idle speed on your car and report back on this. Also, if you could mention which city you're in, so I get a sense of the current ambient temperatures there.

Thanks all in advance!
Old 1st July 2015, 15:16   #2888
BHPian

@Santoshbhat
My car is around 5 months old approximately..
It has done about 3200 kms now. I find the dsg to be butter smooth except at that one time where the car shudders.
Apart from that I have no issues.
Old 1st July 2015, 17:47   #2889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
MODS: I posted this on the Vento thread, but since the Polo GT TSI has the same engine, thought may be relevant to also post here as well.

The last two weeks I've noticed the Vento TSI idles at 950rpm, instead of 900.

I took it to the workshop, and the following observations were made:
- When tested at standstill, after a while, the tachometer drops to 900rpm if the AC is switched off, and will drop to 920/920rpm with the AC on. However, when I checked this after driving back home from the workshop, I noticed it was no longer dropping to 900rpm. Guess it will do this only once the engine has a chance to cool down, otherwise it stays at 950rpm.

- We tested another TSI (2500km on the ODO) at the workshop, and similar behavior was observed. However, while it was at 950rpm for a few minutes after being started, it was quicker to go down to 900rpm, and even with the AC on, was at 910rpm, max.

The workshop assumed it was because of the hot weather, because the engine compensates according to environmental conditions, but this has only started happening recently, so am skeptical. Told them will observe behaviour for longer, and then get back to them.

So, two questions from the community:
- what could be the possible reasons here?
- TSI owners, could you please check the idle speed on your car and report back on this. Also, if you could mention which city you're in, so I get a sense of the current ambient temperatures there.

Thanks all in advance!
Mine is a 27.5k run GT TSI and my idle RPM is mostly 900. It does fluctuate on both sides by around 100 depending on other factors. Another thing is i'm not sure how you quote such accurate values. If you see the tacho, it has markings for every 200 and I for sure couldn't accurately read it to the 50's. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-volkswagenpologttsiinstrumentcluster.jpg  

Old 1st July 2015, 18:16   #2890
BHPian

The tacho steadies at 900 with or without AC as of now. Have done 2800 kms. As @drpudhi how did you read 950😇😇

An old issue which aye had mentioned earlier suddenly crops up today. Bumper to bumper and as i move, hear a humming sound. Sound dissipates as you move from D2 to D3. Anyone experience the same?
Old 1st July 2015, 18:18   #2891
BANNED

Quote:
- When tested at standstill, after a while, the tachometer drops to 900rpm if the AC is switched off, and will drop to 920/920rpm with the AC on.

From what I can understand is there is similar behaviour in the TSi engines of your car and the one tested at the ASC.

Quote:
However, when I checked this after driving back home from the workshop, I noticed it was no longer dropping to 900rpm.
When you reached home you noticed the RPM at 900 instead of 950 when at the ASC.

I have a few doubts:

What was the temperature at the times when you were at the ASC and when you were at home check?

Here the air density also plays a role as the air going inside the engine is checked by the MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow) that is located before the air filter element. This sensor sends data to the ECU to meter the fuel quantity for combustion depending on the density and temperature.

A denser and cooler air will make the ECU send lesser fuel thereby idling at a lesser RPM. Do see for yourself the effect of temperature on idling RPM during the day (hotter temperature) and night (cooler temperature).

This is what I think looking at the figures you have given.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishyvish View Post
The tacho steadies at 900 with or without AC as of now. Have done 2800 kms.
I have a doubt, how can the RPM be the same with and without A/C?!

When the A/C is OFF the idling RPM will be lower whereas when the A/C is ON the idling RPM will increase slightly to compensate the load on the engine.

Say for example:

Without A/C = 900 RPM
With A/C = 1000 RPM

Last edited by a4anurag : 1st July 2015 at 18:21.
Old 1st July 2015, 18:52   #2892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Mine is a 27.5k run GT TSI and my idle RPM is mostly 900. It does fluctuate on both sides by around 100 depending on other factors. Another thing is i'm not sure how you quote such accurate values. If you see the tacho, it has markings for every 200 and I for sure couldn't accurately read it to the 50's. Hope this helps.
Thanks drupdhi. Earlier I had only seen high rpms only at startup, otherwise I haven't really seen any fluctuations earlier.

When the tachometer needle is bang in the middle of 900-1000, that's 950 - which is what is happening to the TSI. Depending on how much lower, one guesses 920/930. The point, of course, is not precise accuracy but to get a sense of the idle rpms, and bigger issues that it may point towards.

Quote:
The tacho steadies at 900 with or without AC as of now. Have done 2800 kms. As @drpudhi how did you read 950����
Thanks Vishyvish. About 950, answered above, but I thought it was elementary

Quote:
An old issue which aye had mentioned earlier suddenly crops up today. Bumper to bumper and as i move, hear a humming sound. Sound dissipates as you move from D2 to D3. Anyone experience the same?
I guess the gearbox rides the clutch at bumper-to-bumper traffic speeds, hence that hum / buzz, but it's very negligible in my car. The clutch slipping behaviour goes away the moment speeds rise, hence you don't hear it after D2. What I hear in my car seems normal, but if you suspect anything, get a test drive in a new car from the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
From what I can understand is there is similar behaviour in the TSi engines of your car and the one tested at the ASC.
Not sure. In my car the rpms stayed high, until the car had been at idle for 10 odd minutes. In the other car, they came down quickly. Plus, the radiator fan started as soon as we switch on that car, which means it was hot. In the case of my car, it had to almost cool down further, before the rpms went low. But, the rest of the car's behavior doesn't really support this hot engine phenomenon. (Read below)

Quote:
When you reached home you noticed the RPM at 900 instead of 950 when at the ASC.

I have a few doubts:

What was the temperature at the times when you were at the ASC and when you were at home check?

Here the air density also plays a role as the air going inside the engine is checked by the MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow) that is located before the air filter element. This sensor sends data to the ECU to meter the fuel quantity for combustion depending on the density and temperature.

A denser and cooler air will make the ECU send lesser fuel thereby idling at a lesser RPM. Do see for yourself the effect of temperature on idling RPM during the day (hotter temperature) and night (cooler temperature).
- to clarify, the idle speed was again 950, when I reached home, and it held to 950, even after switching off the AC, and idling for 3-4 minutes.
- the workshop is 3km from home, so barely took a few minutes. No difference in temperature.
- we've had rains in Delhi recently, so temperature has fluctuated by 10 odd degrees. Have also checked in the night, early morning, noon, and no change in idling behaviour.

From what I read online, it could be an idle air control valve issue, a fuse blowout in any one of half a dozen modules (though I guess that would trigger a warning light), a leaking vacuum port / pump, MAS, fuel pressure regulator issue, ignition timing may be off or an ECU issue. Which basically means, no one has a clue

And it probably means it'll be a pain to figure out the issue and I'm hoping I get a good technician when I visit them again.

Quote:

When the A/C is OFF the idling RPM will be lower whereas when the A/C is ON the idling RPM will increase slightly to compensate the load on the engine.
We have a TSI and Vento TDI in the family, and in both the cars, have seen only a barely perceptible rise in idle rpms with the AC on. This is in the Delhi summers.

Last edited by bosporus : 1st July 2015 at 19:05.
Old 1st July 2015, 21:06   #2893
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This happens in only engines which have little low-end torque. This happens in my WagonR/ Alto but not on my TSI, Ritz Vdi, Optra. Strong turbocharged engines, RPM doesn't change, but fuel consumption does.

Quote:
Thanks drupdhi. Earlier I had only seen high rpms only at startup, otherwise I haven't really seen any fluctuations earlier.

When the tachometer needle is bang in the middle of 900-1000, that's 950 - which is what is happening to the TSI. Depending on how much lower, one guesses 920/930. The point, of course, is not precise accuracy but to get a sense of the idle rpms, and bigger issues that it may point towards.
This happens to my TSI as well. I think it's normal and happens from day 1.

If my car is idling at 950-1000rpm, if I push the accelerator to take the rpm to 3k+ and then the idling settles at close to 800. But after driving till the next stop, it sometimes again idles at 950-1000rpm.

Quote:
And it probably means it'll be a pain to figure out the issue and I'm hoping I get a good technician when I visit them again.
Don't push them too hard, they might end up breaking a couple of other things.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 21:29   #2894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
If my car is idling at 950-1000rpm, if I push the accelerator to take the rpm to 3k+ and then the idling settles at close to 800. But after driving till the next stop, it sometimes again idles at 950-1000rpm
That's interesting - the change in rpm, I mean. My car just stays at a steady idle - 950rpm now, and a 900rpm earlier. I've pushed the car hard, just to see if that would make any change when I stop, but the idle remains at 950rpm. This change in idle rpm has only happened in the last 10 odd days, so not sure what's up.

Incidentally, what year's production is your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Don't push them too hard, they might end up breaking a couple of other things.
Actually, that is precisely what I'm scared of - pushing them to investigate something that's normal. Which is why am trying to get a sense from the community of whether this is normal or not.

To complicate things, VW keeps changing settings - a VW test driver told me told that early TSI's had idle set at 750-800rpm, and new ones were set at 950rpm. I didn't believe him until someone on the Vento thread confirmed that their early batch Vento TSI actually idles at 750-800rpm.

Anyways, the car is barely 9 months old, so have time on my side to fix things within warranty.
Old 2nd July 2015, 07:33   #2895
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's interesting - the change in rpm, I mean. My car just stays at a steady idle - 950rpm now, and a 900rpm earlier. I've pushed the car hard, just to see if that would make any change when I stop, but the idle remains at 950rpm. This change in idle rpm has only happened in the last 10 odd days, so not sure what's up.

Incidentally, what year's production is your car?
2015 - Only 3 months old.

Quote:
To complicate things, VW keeps changing settings - a VW test driver told me told that early TSI's had idle set at 750-800rpm, and new ones were set at 950rpm. I didn't believe him until someone on the Vento thread confirmed that their early batch Vento TSI actually idles at 750-800rpm.

Anyways, the car is barely 9 months old, so have time on my side to fix things within warranty.
I've seen my car idle at 800 and 950-1000 both in the same day. So I don't think they changed the idle rpm but maybe the ECU now based on certain sensor inputs is more sensitive with rpm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks