Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2016, 11:20   #3631
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivasain View Post
Hi Gannu,

I got an RLine steering in my car. I have a the similar issue that the right side buttons are not changing the MFD Display. Mine is 2013 GT TSI.

The harness is okay. Because I can see the button clicks registering on the VCDS live display. I think the cluster is ignoring the message. It happen even if I use the steering button first after starting up the car.

If I have that connector after I remove the steering cover, can you advise which pins i need to cut/disable ? atleast temporarily to ensure steering commands are accepted.

I will try to open the steering top cover and see if there is that
You took the R-Line one with Piano black finish? Pics please.
Old 29th January 2016, 11:48   #3632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
You took the R-Line one with Piano black finish? Pics please.
Hi,

I got the Silver Trim version of the steering on Aliexpress. Link below
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gray-...480220166.html

I liked the vendor so much that I also ordered Auto Headlights and TESA Tapes from him.

Here are some pictures. Sorry about the bad quality.

The steering is quite okay. There is some inconsistent gap between the silvertrim and the leather on the left side. and slight spacing between the leather and the paddle button bottom. Not sure if it is the characteristics of leather steering as such. Otherwise the wheel is good.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-10000088_10206933278224977_65833005_n.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-12366750_10206929572812344_1299266947_n.jpg  

sivasain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 12:02   #3633
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I got the Silver Trim version of the steering on Aliexpress. Link below
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gray-...480220166.html

Wow, the MK6 steering wheel, Nice. It has perforated leather. Feels very good to hold it. So your existing airbag goes in this?

Also I guess you can get the silver trims replaced by Piano black (if you like piano black). I don't remember clearly, but if I am right, these trims are there in Vagtunes Bangalore.
Old 29th January 2016, 16:43   #3634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Alright so yours is the pre-facelift GT. There won't be any buttons on the right spoke of the stock steering wheel.

You could try doing a workaround which I did on mine to disable the buttons on the right stalk. Take the top cover of the steering column and check if you have a connector circled below on the stalk:

Aditya, in your case, since you have buttons on both the steering wheel right spoke and the right stalk, pressing the buttons on only one of the unit (i.e. either the steering buttons or the stalk buttons) will continue to work until you restart the car. Redundancy of the buttons are leading to a conflict. Start the car, use only the steering wheel buttons - they would work. Or use the stalk buttons, they would work. Don't use both together. You will have to restart the car.
Tried operating the controls right after restarting the car, the right side buttons don't work. The stalk buttons work regardless of whether I operate steering wheel buttons or not.
Will disabling the stalk buttons enable the steering wheel? Shouldn't right - some work needs to be done on the steering wheel connector I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
Hi Aditya, congrats on your new mods. Am contemplating the same as well.

Could you please provide the Model/part number of the LED bulb which was installed? I know that it is a Philips Festoon LED, but there are various sizes available which is slightly confusing.

Thanks. Unfortunately I do not know the size that was installed. I think it is a W5W bulb. Check http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post3396629. The link has the size of the bulb.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_43891.jpg

Just to give you an idea of the cabin lighting. Don't have the photo with the stock bulb for a comparo.

Can someone please help me out with the following issue? The new LED that I have installed never goes off in the door open position of the light. If I turn the switch to completely off, there is no light. Seems like some residual current exists which lights up the LED which requires very little current. Is everyone else facing a similar problem? If not, any ideas on how to resolve this?

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_44051.jpg
When the switch is in between and the doors are shut - Ideally the light should be completely off.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_44061.jpg
When the light is on.

@sidparekh - Please check this issue after installing.

Quote:
Hi,

I liked the vendor so much that I also ordered Auto Headlights and TESA Tapes from him.
Congrats on the new wheel. It looks great. I'm sure you are enjoying the heightened experience the paddles give you.
Is yours a 2013 GT TSI? If yes, will the auto headlights work with only a simple swap and play installation?
What is the TESA Tape?

Cheers
aditya9567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 17:12   #3635
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya9567 View Post
Will disabling the stalk buttons enable the steering wheel?
Taking an educated guess - it will. It did in my case since I essentially did the same by removing the terminals that operate the right stalk buttons.

Quote:
Shouldn't right - some work needs to be done on the steering wheel connector I guess.
No don't touch the steering wheel connector. There are 2 ways to go about with this. Please give me some time to refer to the ELSAWIN manual to check which are the terminals that go into the T41 connector corresponding to the right stalk buttons. If the relevant cables are removed from the connector, the CANBUS will take inputs from the steering.

T41 connector:

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-t41.png

^This is from my car which doesn't have ESP in the ABS module. Your car will have cables in the slots 1 to 6 for ESP and steering angle sensor. Leave aside the 9 and 10 markings; no relevance here.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 17:32   #3636
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, the MK6 steering wheel, Nice. It has perforated leather. Feels very good to hold it. So your existing airbag goes in this?

Also I guess you can get the silver trims replaced by Piano black (if you like piano black). I don't remember clearly, but if I am right, these trims are there in Vagtunes Bangalore.
Yes. I loved the shape and feel of the wheel compared to the Mk7 wheel. Also the existing airbag fits (Since mine was prefacelift model). So it offered more peace of mind that the airbag will deploy when needed.
Old 29th January 2016, 17:40   #3637
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats on the new wheel. It looks great. I'm sure you are enjoying the heightened experience the paddles give you.
Is yours a 2013 GT TSI? If yes, will the auto headlights work with only a simple swap and play installation?
What is the TESA Tape?

Cheers
Thanks Aditya. Yes. I used to hate the previous steering wheel shape coming from a Ford previously. It was perfect circle without the thumbstops and its is quite stressful to hold it on long journeys.

Yes. Mine is a 2013 TSI. Autolights work plug and play. But they cannot be configured via the VCDS. All settings are local using the switch itself.

TESA Tape is the original cloth tape that is used to wrap the cable harnesses. It prevents wear and tear and also prevents cable from rattling around. I wanted to have it so that i can do the DIY wiring properly.
sivasain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 19:39   #3638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post
One of the sales rep from VW updated that 2016 TSI will be having touch infotainment and auto dimming IVR, and price will have a rise of 20-30k. Just delayed my Red's delivery for two more weeks to make sure I will be getting the new model.

My brother who owns a 2014 TSI is now restless
My friend who booked a GT also got a call from VW Dealer today. 2016 Polo GT is coming with Touchscreen AVN system, Auto Dimming IRVM and Auto Rain sensing wipers. His car, expected early next month will come with these features. The bad news, prices will go up by 30-40K OTR (Bangalore). Not clear if this applies to the MT variants, I would assume it would.

The exact details of the new HU is not clear, but the SA was talking about it supporting 'Mobile Connect'. I think he meant Mirror Link So my guess is that it is the new HU which we saw in spy shots of the VW Ameo compact sedan and it supports Mirror Link technology.

Image from the Ameo thread.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-volkswagensmallcar114.jpg
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 22:48   #3639
BHPian

Yes, rain sensing wipers are there. It will be 5 inch infotainment system with ipod connectivity, no navigation is included by default. I can't recollect what else he said. In Kerala I guess the price hike will come between 25-30K. But it looks to be a decent deal though I'm not a fan of rain sensing wipers, other two was definitely in my upgrade list.
GT145 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 20:24   #3640
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Cheers
Here's the current flow diagram from ELSAWIN:

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-1.png

This is something you can do yourself and check. Open up the cluster (refer my DIY thread), remove the connector behind the cluster, remove the outer blue shell and remove pins 21, 22 and 23 from the connector. I've numbered the pins in the image here, remove the pins using a safety pin by pushing the tab and pulling the wire.

From the CFD above, these pins are connected to the right stalk's function and RESET buttons. Removing them essentially disables them. Since your steering now has these controls, they should give the inputs without creating redundancy.

Let me know if this resolved your problem.
Old 30th January 2016, 23:08   #3641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
Hi Freedom & rohn52

I am also in Pune with a 2015 GT TSI & have an appointment booked for Sunday morning at BUBhandari for the 6 month checkup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohn52 View Post
Hi freedom, when I called up BU Bhandari for my 6 month inspection, the earliest available date was 15 days away. So if you call soon you might get what you want anyways. It's a 2hr job and you are right not much is done but its always best to keep things in check.
Thanks guys.
I already called BU and asked for a service appt. I am going there on 10th.

The issues I am facing is

The ignition key slot is not "smooth". Some times I have to apply some force to twist the key and start the car. i cna clearly feel something is not perfectly aligned. On home locks a simple drop of singer machine oil solves the problem, wonder what they will do for a car ignition keyhole.

The Doors do make a rubbing noise, but only on broken mud/village roads, not too worried and I don't want them to make any mechanical tweaks.

3rd to 2nd jerk - But it not that bad. I can live with it.

I am actually very happy with the car. Would just like them to check on fluid levels/alignment-balancing and return the car quickly.

A 1000 km trip is coming up and I didn't want to cross the 7500 mark in the middle of the trip, so getting the service done at 6-6.5K itself.

On the 3rd to 2nd shift issue.

Like others, I have experienced the 3rd to 2nd jerk issue. This usually happens when I am in 3rd and let of the the A pedal. The best place to reproduce this issue is the zone between Univ Signal and Senapati Bapat Road.

Here the road has a slight decent, moment you are off the signal you get into 3rd and then if let go of A pedal (as the traffic slows down due to bus stop etc) the car holds onto 3 (less load due to descent), but at a point the rpm falls too low and it shifts to 2nd.
Frankly, I am not too bothered about it.
Old 1st February 2016, 09:09   #3642
BHPian

Is there a mention of the inspection/replacement schedule to be carried out on Polo at 15K/30K/60K intervals.

I am not able to find that information in the owners manual. If its present in the owners manual, a page number will help.
Old 1st February 2016, 09:22   #3643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Is there a mention of the inspection/replacement schedule to be carried out on Polo at 15K/30K/60K intervals.

I am not able to find that information in the owners manual. If its present in the owners manual, a page number will help.
It is available in http://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/value...ntenance0.html. Please expand "Volkswagen Maintenance Labour Operations"
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 13:24   #3644
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen launches 2016 Polo with additional features

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The rain sensor and auto dimming mirror can be. I've installed the Jetta/Passat's auto-dimming mirror 2 weeks back. Intend to install the RLS (rain light sensor) separately.

From the Ameo's scoop shots, it could be the newer curved mirror from the Polo 6C sold overseas which is installed on the upcoming lots. The headlamp sensor is integrated inside the mirror.

The RLS needs an upgraded BCM. Connections are straight forward - +12 v (RLS requires a continuous 12V input which doesn't turn off when the car is locked), GND, 2 cables to the BCM.
Hi Ganesh, You mentioned RLS requires an upgraded BCM. My GT is 2015 November one, will that BCM be able to handle this sensor or still upgraded one is required. I somehow like Rain sensors very much and would love to install it. If its a direct plug and play for me, I will approach the VW showroom, otherwise I will leave it. Please confirm.
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:02   #3645
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen launches 2016 Polo with additional features

Moved the post from the other thread here. Let us not derail that thread with retrofit related discussions.

Quote:
Hi Ganesh, You mentioned RLS requires an upgraded BCM. My GT is 2015 November one, will that BCM be able to handle this sensor or still upgraded one is required.
AFAIK, even the medium BCMs should work going by this German infographic:

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-6b38eeb8212c.png

LIN regensensor translated LIN rain sensor (connected to LIN bus).

Pin no. 24 under connector B is used for the RLS and this pin is available on the medium BCM.

But this link says highline BCM:

Quote:
Any car with a highline central electric control module (CECM) should be compatible with a rain sensor
Quote:
If its a direct plug and play for me, I will approach the VW showroom, otherwise I will leave it. Please confirm.
Not a direct plug and play in the sense, you need to glue the mount to the windshield using a primer first (to blacken out the edges) and then applying the glue. Plus this BCM connection.

The RLS serves another purpose - it enables the autoclose feature thereby raising any open windows or closing the sunroof if its open for > 24 hours. So the RLS requires continuous +12V from the fuse box. Not a big deal though.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed