Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2015, 19:08   #3571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Our stock HU doesn't support FLAC? .flac is an age old format and why it is not being supported ? That's sad :(

Can some one please confirm or is it the issue with my Head Unit?
Dear sir. Flac or alac or wav will sound the same as a 128 kbps mp3 track on that stock unit. Kindly don't bother about playing Flac on that antique.
You can try flax. That's good for digestion. That will work. 😂
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 19:20   #3572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Dear sir. Flac or alac or wav will sound the same as a 128 kbps mp3 track on that stock unit. Kindly don't bother about playing Flac on that antique.
You can try flax. That's good for digestion. That will work. 😂
Haha. I was going through the ICE section of team-bhp last week and after calculating the overall cost required for a good setup , I decided to run with the same system for the time being and planned to squeeze out some extra performance. So I guess there is no option other than to change the HU. :(
petrol_power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 13:10   #3573
BHPian

3 times last week I bumped into "educated men" who had the audacity to ask me "Kitna deti hai". This after they knew a thing or two about GT TSI. I stood there stunned and shocked.

In a few seconds recovered from the shock and told them I go about 600 km for 40 l of Petrol. So that means a mileage of 15 with a mix of city and highway driving

Today morning, I had to visit Lonavala. Started from home around 630ish.

switched the MID to Average FE display and started driving.. Cool weather meant I had the AC off and blower set to 2 with "outside" air.
Took the old NH4 road as I find the expressway boring a too expensive for a Lonavala return trip.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-image001.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-image002.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-image003.jpg

On the return journey the sun was out and I switched on the AC set it to 22.5 and started driving.

This time, I made a conscious attempt to not stomp on the gas instead just give feather touch. I was driving 70+ on the highway and was actually keeping up very nicely with rest of the car traffic.

And when I parked at Office Basement and looked at this, I couldn't believe my eyes.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-image004.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-image005.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-image006.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-image007.jpg

The cool weather and the relaxed driving style helped a lot. Infact the overall FE picked up on my return leg even though I had AC on.

Last edited by freedom : 1st January 2016 at 13:11.
freedom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 21:23   #3574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
]

The cool weather and the relaxed driving style helped a lot. Infact the overall FE picked up on my return leg even though I had AC on.

There could be 2 reasons for the above,
1) I've noticed that keeping in the 1500-2000 rpm zone constantly in manual mode gives better efficiency than the D mode. Probably because it uses lesser fuel to reach a particular speed while in the turbo zone.
2) Bombay to Lonavala would be an uphill drive whereas the return would be downhill and hence better efficiency figures even though you had the ac on.
Old 2nd January 2016, 22:55   #3575
BHPian

Guys, do we have someone here who runs 215/40/R17 ? Would love to hear how the ride quality is with stock shocks on this tyre size. Diameter variance is just .09 so this looks to me like the best tyre upgrade option in 17 inch.

I would prefer to have 215/45/R17 which got diameter variance 2.21. But not sure it will effect ESP somehow. Some inputs from t-bhp gurus will be helpful
Old 3rd January 2016, 20:56   #3576
Distinguished - BHPian

Booked the Polo GT TSI for my sister-in law family from VW Calicut, Kerala. This is a replacement for the manual Brio that they have. Usage pattern is mostly in city use with occasional long trips within Kerala and to Bangalore. A premium quality car was the main requirement along with reasonably good performance.

The Jazz, Figo, Maruti's AMT's and most recently, the Baleno were considered. They had used my Vento TSI for about a month for more than 1000 km of City and Highway driving a few months back. And honestly, once you experience the TSI DSG combo for a reasonable amount of time, it is difficult to be satisfied with anything else. In addition, a good solid build and premium feel was also important. The lack of rear space is not a deal breaker as they have an Etios going strong at 80K which is driver driven and is the 'beater' car.

Color is Carbon Steel Grey and we need the delivery only in March. OTR is 9.86 Kerala. No offers, but are ok with outside insurance and have promised to meet any outside quote. Need to see how that turns out.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 21:42   #3577
BHPian

Recently saw S7 on my TSI. and it wasnt on high speeds too. was on cruise control and sports mode and noticed the gear on S7. it was on 80 kmph . and it was on for S7 for quite a time before i had to brake and it downshifted to S4.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20160103-21.41.13.jpg  

ngauravmalhotra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 22:45   #3578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post
Guys, do we have someone here who runs 215/40/R17 ? Would love to hear how the ride quality is with stock shocks on this tyre size. Diameter variance is just .09 so this looks to me like the best tyre upgrade option in 17 inch.

I would prefer to have 215/45/R17 which got diameter variance 2.21. But not sure it will effect ESP somehow. Some inputs from t-bhp gurus will be helpful

Stick to 205/50/16" for a city upgrade. Else be prepared for a crazy crashy ride !
Old 3rd January 2016, 22:50   #3579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngauravmalhotra View Post
Recently saw S7 on my TSI. and it wasnt on high speeds too. was on cruise control and sports mode and noticed the gear on S7. it was on 80 kmph . and it was on for S7 for quite a time before i had to brake and it downshifted to S4.

S7 at 80 means that the ECU has adapted to your driving style. Strongly urge you to do an ECU reset , else all the fun of driving your car will vanish !
Old 3rd January 2016, 23:46   #3580
BHPian

Quote:
It's in S7 because the DSG gearbox is a learning gearbox, and since you're using the Sports mode like the D mode, it's behaving in that manner - cruising at 80 is not what sports mode is for. Would recommend you use the Sports mode for more spirited driving and D for normal driving, else, you'll end up with 2 modes that drive similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
S7 at 80 means that the ECU has adapted to your driving style. Strongly urge you to do an ECU reset , else all the fun of driving your car will vanish !
There's no need for anything so dramatic. If he starts driving more enthusiastically in Sports mode, the gearbox will default to it's more standard responses. Also, if I may point out, the ideal is to have the car adapted to us, whichever way we drive. So, even if this is what the OP does, this is what makes sense for him, so the gearbox is working according to his needs. Resetting the ECU means we want the OP to adapt his driving to the factory default settings, which doesn't make sense, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post

Couple of point:
- It's the circumference variance (not the diameter variance) that you should worry about, and it should be within 3% - in your preferred size, the new size is over by 3.7%, so not ideal.

- Theoretically better sizes would be 205/45/R17 (variance of 2.21% to stock) or better yet, 215/40/R17 (variance of 0.13%). I say theoretical because am not sure you'll easily find tyres in these sizes.

- Also, the right question is not to understand variance, but to understand what it will do to your car:
1. Adds weight, compared to 15" stock, and 16". Which means lower acceleration and higher fuel efficiency.
2. The wider tires add another acceleration and fuel economy penalty, because since the car is not powerful to benefit from the wider tires, its a penalty without any real benefits.
3. The sidewall height is a more relevant parameter to look at. You're reducing the tyre sidewall height from 111mm in 15" (in stock 185/60 tyre size) to 102.5mm in 16" (for 205/50 tyre size) to 86mm in 17". With that kind of a drop in sidewall height, I don't think I need to mention what it will do to comfort or how it will stress suspension or steering components, especially on our roads. And to say nothing of how easily tyres or the alloys can be damaged on our roads.
4. Have you considered the tyre cost as your move from 15" to 17". If you haven't, you may be in for a bit of a surprise (shock may be the more appropriate word ).

So, do evaluate everything and then take the leap. Cheers,

Last edited by bosporus : 3rd January 2016 at 23:48.
bosporus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 23:46   #3581
BHPian

Quote:
I can understand if it was the case with the Drive Mode. The sports mode is usually tuned to red line rpm. to add to it , this was the only instance i saw S7. Never when i was driving regularly. This happened only on CC.
Old 4th January 2016, 00:22   #3582
BHPian

Sad but true....if you don't want instaneous response , you can go ahead with bosphorus' response. If you want to drive like a true GT'ian, do the reset
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 00:49   #3583
BHPian

Quote:
Sad but true....if you don't want instaneous response , you can go ahead with bosphorus' response. If you want to drive like a true GT'ian, do the reset
Sports mode will always have a more instantaneous response. Just that upshifts at higher revs, holding gears, etc. will become less extreme, since it's now being used for everyday driving, and therefore, with less enthusiasm. And even a reset doesn't help because the person is the same - the car will again come back to this current state. AND, if he starts driving normally in D and comes to S only for enthusiastic driving, than that reset is anyways not required at all because the car will revert back to something closer to a factory setting.
Old 4th January 2016, 06:55   #3584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
It's in S7 because the DSG gearbox is a learning gearbox, and since you're using the Sports mode like the D mode, it's behaving in that manner - cruising at 80 is not what sports mode is for. Would recommend you use the Sports mode for more spirited driving and D for normal driving, else, you'll end up with 2 modes that drive similar.
I think this most likely some dsg quirk associated with cruise control. I typically always use S on 2 lane highways where I pretty much regularly cruise at 80-90 in S mode. I do this to ensure an instantaneous response especially doing overtaking and also for a nice peppy drive. I have driven ~25k till now and never has it gone beyond S4 or max S5 when cruising between anywhere 70-100. I have never seen it go to S7 ever. ( even tried to get it there once on a controlled road).

So while the dsg adapts to driving style, I don't think it will adapt so much as to make both modes feel the same and do an S7.
Old 4th January 2016, 08:08   #3585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
- It's the circumference variance (not the diameter variance) that you should worry about
Sorry about that I was referring to circumference variance Nankang NS2 and Yoko A drives in those specs won't empty my pockets I believe, both of them will cost less than 8K per tyre, yeah I may need to compromise on cornering at high speeds on Nankang, but A drives are decent in my experience.

An upgrade to 16" is not much of a problem, in fact we have posts in here with good feedback on 16", but was looking at 17" as an option especially due to wheel arch gap :(

Anyway I don't want to have a crazy crashy bumpy ride. So if we have someone here who runs 17" on stock shocks it would have been nice to get a feedback.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks