Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2017, 16:27   #4876
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Keeping my unsubstantiated fears of DSG & VW maintenance costs aside, booked the Premium fodder (Grey TSI) for the petrol-head, 9.19 ex HR. ..
Did the final PDI, insurance and final payment today. All set for delivery tomorrow, 4/Nov. yipee! Well, to my pleasant surprise the car now comes shod with Good year assurance triplemax tires, not the Apollos. I have another car with same tires and I'm not complaining so won't change to Michelin or Continental, first let's burn up the road a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Congrats wangdu!

Surprised that you got Grey. I was told only white and red in production.

Do share pictures once you get the car.
Thanks.

Yes, while I was checking with different dealers about best pricing and color availability, only this dealer had the Oct'17 made Grey colored GT TSI. The sales guy told that dealers usually keep red & white as they go fast and grey one is done on order. Rest all had weird excuses like no production of grey or color issues reported by customers just to get their inventory cleared I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Congrats, hope you also took the 4 year extended warranty. Its definately recommended. I bought the tsi this month too and also got the car cover free. Maybe you can negotiate still?
Thanks. Yes, I'll get it during the first year. Not in stock but haggled quite a bit on seat covers & arm rest, from 19K down to 14K which could have been brought down a bit further but since I'm no good at it, so this much itself makes me feel good .

Few pics..
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20171103_130353.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20171103_131457.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20171103_135156.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20171103_130318.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20171103_130341.jpg  

Last edited by wangdu : 3rd November 2017 at 16:43. Reason: typo
wangdu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 16:18   #4877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Half of saturday went behind this drama.

I hope the end of the story is a pleasant one!
I am sorry to hear of your troubles. Have you got an update from the service centre? I have a Polo TSI that just completed 45K KMs, so I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous after reading about your experience.
Old 4th November 2017, 18:31   #4878
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
I am sorry to hear of your troubles. Have you got an update from the service centre? I have a Polo TSI that just completed 45K KMs, so I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous after reading about your experience.
Was tied up with personal stuff till Friday and they never called me till then, which I felt was a good sign. If money was involved they would promptly call right? Anyways I made the call and advisor immediately said part would be covered under warranty. Only labor we have to pay, which I guess is reasonable. So I asked them to let me know how much would be the labor, no updates after that. Will follow up next week, partially relieved.

Yes it is the mechatronic and lead time for part is 15-20 days!
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 18:40   #4879
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways I made the call and advisor immediately said part would be covered under warranty. Only labor we have to pay, which I guess is reasonable.
Awesome! What could have been a nightmare is now just a hassle (no car for 15 days).
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 20:09   #4880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was tied up with personal stuff till Friday and they never called me till then, which I felt was a good sign. If money was involved they would promptly call right? Anyways I made the call and advisor immediately said part would be covered under warranty. Only labor we have to pay, which I guess is reasonable. So I asked tm to let me know how much would be the labor, no updates after that. Will follow up next week, partially relieved.

Yes it is the mechatronic and lead time for part is 15-20 days!
That's really good on VW's part. Although this shouldn't have happened in the first place. Nevertheless it does speak of VW's commitment to addressing this dreaded issue.

My TSI is just six months old and this was a real concern for me when I was about to buy this car. I took a 4 yr warranty as well but like in your case this could happen anytime. I believe VW does not admit this issue openly but silently does replace the Mechatronics unit if it fails.

I believe they should not charge the labour too, you should speak to VW directly and I will not be surprised if they waive off the labour charges too. To be fair it was not your fault that the unit failed so why should you be charged at all.

Good luck and hope to see you back in action soon. The DSG shifts are to die for anyway..
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 02:18   #4881
BHPian

So finally did my 30000km service at 27000kms, mainly because the last one was done at 12700kms and the car was badly needing one.There were rattles from all over the car and it wasn't feeling tight with the braking being absolutely devoid of feel or power.I thought it was due to brake pads giving up, but turned out the brake fluid was low and the brakes needed cleaning.
As far as the service is concerned, below is the bill summary:
Oil change
Air, AC and oil filter change
Synthetic lubrication for suspension parts
Coolant and other top ups
Paid labour for Rs.2569
As usual the experience with Volkswagen NOIDA was great.The brake issue was well attended to, I already have the brembos that I ordered from Amazon, so they will go in anytime next week.The car feels way smoother than earlier, which has led me to believe that I will do the service at 12.5-13k intervals from now on.Also, the rattles are all but gone and the car is feeling nice and tight.As a bonus and what is now a rarity, the car was also well cleaned from both outside and​ inside.
Total bill came out to 10411 which was discounted to 9900.
Also, Volkswagen has came out with a 2year AMC for the GT finally and it includes two major services along with wheel alignment and balancing, 2 sessions of rubbing polishing and cleaning vacuuming.It costs 24900 for 2 years and you get coupons to redeem the same.Since it was turning out to be expensive than the norm for me, didn't opt for it.
Overall, very happy with the service.
Old 5th November 2017, 19:48   #4882
BHPian

I am trying to get a camera fixed onto my GT. I checked with an accessories dealer and he said the display won't show up on the 340G. What he said was that the VW dealers remove the required coupling so that the camera can be fixed only at their dealership. Is this true? By the way, he showed me the HU's rear and there was no spare cable seen jutting out. He then suggested that I get the camera+ screen combo installed instead, which would cost around 2K. What do you all suggest?

By the way a few days ago, I had checked with the VW dealer and they quoted around 12K for camera only, saying the display would show on the existing HU (340G).

Now I am confused.

Last edited by kkdelhi : 5th November 2017 at 19:51.
Old 6th November 2017, 22:36   #4883
BHPian

Quote:
Our TSI whose extended warranty got over in August (dang!) came to a clanking stop on Saturday evening, gears are not engaging and has been taken on a flat bed to dealership. I would not be surprised if it is the DSG box that has failed. Awaiting updates today (hopefully). Had done about 52000 kms in last 4 years!

So much for smaller engine and reliability of the box in this combo!
Wow ! I come back to the forum after a long time on the anniversary of my car (there goes 4 years and the extended warranty along with it) and that's depressing news.

The odo reads 68000 kms now and it has been a pleasant ride. I think with your's being possibly the first mechatronics failure in the polo, i'm not sure my drives will be the same here after with the DSG always in the back of my mind. Also, my GT is nothing stock with a lot of mods and feel VW could easily wash its hands off if it is to fail.

The only hope i have is i insisted on changing my DSG oil at 45k odo and hope it saves my skin from a mechatronics failure. Anyway happy to hear you've got it covered under warranty.

And the uncertainty of my GT begins.
Old 7th November 2017, 10:21   #4884
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Also, my GT is nothing stock with a lot of mods and feel VW could easily wash its hands off if it is to fail.
You have a problem in hand, another friend is going through lot of pain coz the car was modified, it's a Vento in kerala. Just letting you know.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 11:54   #4885
BHPian

Quote:
You have a problem in hand, another friend is going through lot of pain coz the car was modified, it's a Vento in kerala. Just letting you know.
What kind of modifications, can you please elaborate? This will help owners of GT TSI to stay away from such modifications.
I plan to keep My car stock with may be 2-3 mods planned viz.
1. cabin light upgrade to the one which fabia has, Gannu has done this upgrade (plug and play).
2. Eagle eye headlights with xenon in low beam (again plug and play with no cutting of wires)
3. Auto headlight switch with sensor module (again plug and play)
Would these modifications/upgrade cause warranty issues?

--Sagar
Old 7th November 2017, 12:07   #4886
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
What kind of modifications, can you please elaborate? This will help owners of GT TSI to stay away from such modifications.
This person has paddle shift installed with upgraded steering wheel, which was cited as the reason.

Last edited by GTO : 7th November 2017 at 16:20. Reason: sighted = cited :)
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 11:06   #4887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
... All set for delivery tomorrow, 4/Nov. yipee!
After a forgetful delivery experience, the beautiful yet dangerous TSI came home on 4-Nov. I'm naming it "Dingo". Having checked other meek machines in the garage like the CVT & MTs, Dingo has parked itself right at the entrance of the home like the Alpha

Accessories installed - seat covers & arm rest. With the arm rest, driving is so much relaxed on top of the already Adrenalin pumping fun that GT TSI delivers.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20171104_153040.jpg Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20171104_152920.jpg
While removing the wraps, I kind of felt that the roof wrap is giving a stylish look to the car so have kept it as is for now. In addition the wrap will save the paint in a minor way preventing it from dew during winters here in North. Also, it sets the GT apart from the regular Polos and other cars as well. I see no harm in it unless you advise otherwise.

The Audi TSI/DSG engineering lineage on the polo GT
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img20171106wa0004.jpg

Drove about 200 kms so fa, the car just zips through the traffic on demand. My other car is a CVT so I have a reference when I remark that I so love the pickup of TSI with just a tap on the A pedal. The coolest part is when I press the A-pedal (while the CVT remains mostly unfazed unless in S mode) the TSI rushes down to the lower gears and delivers performance in a split second. Exactly what the petrol head wanted. A real driver's car.

well, more later as I spend more time with the car.

Thanks to all for such an informative thread that helped me a lot.

Last edited by wangdu : 8th November 2017 at 11:19.
wangdu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 17:38   #4888
BHPian

Folks, Have been planning to book a GT TSI. On inquiring in one of the outlets of Kerala, I have been informed a wait period of 2 to 3 months for Colors - Red & Grey.

Given tat its already Nov, its most likely that car will be delivered in 2018. Now this brings another thought. Why don't I wait and get a MY18 ? Dealership says MY18 will be available from Mar or April of 2018. Is this true as other manufacturers roll out MY18 towards end of Dec or Jan on wards.

Any info on expected MY18 for VW or GT TSI roll out will be helpful.

Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 18:38   #4889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar.madhavan View Post
Folks, Have been planning to book a GT TSI. On inquiring in one of the outlets of Kerala, I have been informed a wait period of 2 to 3 months for Colors - Red & Grey.

Given tat its already Nov, its most likely that car will be delivered in 2018. Now this brings another thought. Why don't I wait and get a MY18 ? Dealership says MY18 will be available from Mar or April of 2018. Is this true as other manufacturers roll out MY18 towards end of Dec or Jan on wards.

Any info on expected MY18 for VW or GT TSI roll out will be helpful.

Thanks
Hi Amar,

Volkswagen has a habit of updating the features of Polo GT TSI every 3 - 4 months, as I came to know. For example, the 16" alloys, new R340G infotainment system with 6.5" screen etc are all recent additions. Most of these feature updates won't reflect on their website or brochures. Also, they are notorious for removing the black spoiler every now and then from certain batches of GT TSI . In my opinion if you wait for a couple of months more, probably you might get a car with some updated features (getting a factory fitted reverse camera would be too good) . Just my 2 cents.
Turbopetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 23:04   #4890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopetrol View Post
In my opinion if you wait for a couple of months more, probably you might get a car with some updated features
With VW's facelift policy, it is almost certain that this, or some less useful cosmetic special edition, will certainly come. While it is a little frustrating for the recent buyer, I'd say... buy when you're ready, and be glad that you got more than the previous version!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks