Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2019, 11:20   #5971
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The Octy Mk1 had the same type of arm rest and it used to obstruct the hand brake lever. Hence the arm rest used to be always up. Given the placement am sure its going to be a similar situation. However given that in an autobox, lots of people don't use the hand brake, the arm rest may not obstruct operability too much.
Never had a problem with the armrest in the Mk1 Octy either. The handbrake did touch the underside of the armrest if you pulled it to the max, but that is it. Maybe it didn't bother me much because my Octavia was an automatic too.

Regardless, the pros of the armrest outweigh the cons. You use the handbrake once or twice in a drive, and the armrest is used throughout the entire drive.
Viraat13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 15:18   #5972
Distinguished - BHPian

Dissenting judgement

I use the handbrake regularly and would not want anything between me and it. Off topic to the thread model, I also wouldn't want anything that might affect the movement of my whole arm when changing gear.

Disclosure: I've never wanted an arm rest, but... I've never had one, so maybe the experience would be a revelation!
Old 7th May 2019, 15:37   #5973
Senior - BHPian

My AliExpress sourced OEM GTI armrest doesn't rattle or make noise even though the car is 3+ years old now since installing it. Maybe VW dealers are selling fakes.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 10:55   #5974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirumalkumaran View Post
Rumor: New Updated models from VW Polo (Including GT TSI) to appear.
Had a word with one of the dealers regarding the GT TSI.
Currently the waiting period is suggested as 3.5 months due to an update soon to arrive, which has;

1. Updated Rear bumper.
2. Rear camera as standard (Requiring the bumper modification)
3. Updated Tailights (Not sure if it might be LED)
4. Updated headlights with DRL (Not sure will get projectors)
5. Might include fabric and seat upgrades.

Expected price increase of around 15k (Ex showroom).
Any news on the date of launch?
nitinhegde is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 13:35   #5975
BHPian

Quote:
Had a word with one of the dealers regarding the GT TSI
Hey, which dealer did you talk to? I wanted to confirm before making a decision. Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 21:20   #5976
BHPian

Class action lawsuit against Ford's DCT PowerShift. All users with the affected cars stand to receive compensation.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...sion-problems/

Quote:
The Ford PowerShift transmission in question is found in 2011–2016*Fiesta*and 2012–2016*Focus cars. As described by owners of the vehicles, the primary, recurrent issues are a shuddering feeling while accelerating from a stop—like someone who can't feather the clutch properly on a stick shift—followed by a rough 1-2 upshift that again sends a vibration throughout the vehicle. Owners have reported replacing clutches, output shafts, and entire transmissions. They've come back for software updates. More often than not, as described by owners we've spoken to and on forums across the internet, the problems reappear even after service technicians claim the transmission is within normal factory limits.*
Can VW face something similar for DSG? If yes, how strong a case would it have to be, since we saw that VW came out of Dieselgate essentially unscathed? The issue mentioned with Ford's DCT seem pretty similar to some folks faced with DSG.
GrandTourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 10:12   #5977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Can VW face something similar for DSG? If yes, how strong a case would it have to be, since we saw that VW came out of Dieselgate essentially unscathed? The issue mentioned with Ford's DCT seem pretty similar to some folks faced with DSG.
Certainly seems interesting, but as far as I understand, the issue with DSGs is only in hot and humid climates, like India. I doubt that a case in our consumer courts would result in anything that would get VW too bothered.

In a market like ours, with limited consumer protection, this is the best course of action: Buy VW > Buy extended warranty > Extend the extended warranty till the 7th year > Be happy.
Viraat13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 09:55   #5978
BHPian

A physiotherapist might be able to help you

Not joking. In 2014 I used to drive a Commodore VZ 5.7L V8 Sedan. One month after recuperation from surgery I could barely turn the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Hi All,
I have a question regarding steering stiffness after prolonged periods of parking.
I recently underwent a surgery which meant my car was parked for a month unused. I made sure to inflate the tires a little more than usual and parked it on a flat surface.
However, when I drove the car for the last two days, the steering felt considerably stiffer. Has anyone faced anything like this on the GT TSI or any other car?
Any information would be very helpful before I head to the VW ASS.
This is exactly what I have been doing on my Figo Automatic for the last 3 years. It is a natural stance if you have spent all your life driving in left hand drive countries. Resting your right arm comes naturally.

Considering a TSI now. Hence, snooping around this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalrao View Post
Doesn't the armrest obstruct the handbrake lever?

I am thinking that instead of using the center armrest I will start driving using my left arm on the steering wheel and rest my right arm on the door armrest especially also since the turn indicator lever is on the left instead of the typical right side.
Background: I have been driving a Ford Figo 1.5 DCT for exactly 3 years and 3 days now. No issues. None. Done only 13.5K for home-office runs. Might have spent not more than 5K total on scheduled maintenance plus one instance of brake bleeding and brake fluid replacement. Another 30K odd on 15" wheel and tire upgrade.

Considering a TSI with trade in. Location is HYD - Either Hitec City or Jubilee Hills branches.

Questions:
  1. How long is the wait period in HYD? or anywhere.
  2. How much can I reasonable expect for the Figo from the VW dealership trade-in?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th May 2019 at 11:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 17th May 2019, 12:44   #5979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith2524 View Post
A physiotherapist might be able to help you

Not joking. In 2014 I used to drive a Commodore VZ 5.7L V8 Sedan. One month after recuperation from surgery I could barely turn the wheel.
I think you got the wrong idea
The steering was stiffer, not me feeling it was. Plus my surgery was for the knee not the hand.
Anyway, with daily usage it has gotten smoother now. Guess it was just because of being stationery.

PS. I'm taking physiotherapy for the knee. Thanks anyway.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 09:27   #5980
BHPian

Quote:
Had a word with one of the dealers regarding the GT TSI.
Currently the waiting period is suggested as 3.5 months due to an update soon to arrive, which has;

1. Updated Rear bumper.
2. Rear camera as standard (Requiring the bumper modification)
3. Updated Tailights (Not sure if it might be LED)
4. Updated headlights with DRL (Not sure will get projectors)
5. Might include fabric and seat upgrades.

Expected price increase of around 15k (Ex showroom).
I just saw an updated Polo testing in Jodhpur with no camouflage. The rear bumper had a black section in the center with diffuser like slats. The headlights looked similar with no change, if DRLs were integrated they weren't on.
Old 20th May 2019, 14:26   #5981
BHPian

Disregard my questions as I have found the answers myself.

I have booked the car on Saturday 17/5 after a test drive. I was made to believe that I could have the car by Monday 20/5 or as soon as I make the payment. The story changed once I reached the showroom to pay the advance amount of 10K. The latest is that car will arrive in approximately one week, and I should be able to have it by 27/5. A last minute logistical mix up caused the Hyderabad assigned car to go to Chennai from the Chakan Pune shop floor. The Jubilee Hills VW showroom is very close to Jubilee Hills Film Nagar, I expect the story to evolve further with some more twists and turns. However, as I get to keep my trade-in car, with the trade in price quote protected, I am not very much concerned at the moment.

My observations from the test drive -

This was my first time in a Polo GT TSI. My comparison point is Figo DCT AT as I have driven it exclusively for the last 3 years and it is the closest competition I can think of with a DCT/DSG box.

The Polo cockpit is a bit of a squeeze, but manageable. Expecting bruised knees and elbows in the first week.

Not liking the smaller ORVMs and IRVMs. Not liking the weaker air con. Not at all liking the slight hesitancy and accompanying sound when moving from standstill (clutch engagement). I believe and hope the test drive car had a shot gearbox. And the engine light was on.

Everything else was just excellent. Drivability, speed, poise, stability in corners were all excellent. Going from a Figo to GT TSI is like going from driving an inflatable bouncy castle to a rollercoaster. I tried to upset it but it remained glued to road at all times. Guess I should have switched off traction control but could not muster up the courage. Although Hyderabad HRDL has provided some excellent and wide white topped dual carriageways around my location, the grip is not as good as metaled black tops.

S Mode was a hoot. That is until you end up behind an auto rickshaw. My favorite reply when someone asks how fast can it go is - "As fast as the auto rickshaw in front of you".

Loving the tartan patterned black fabric and the quality interiors. Mind you the Figo titanium trim came with excellent interiors too. But the GT in its 2019 avatar is definitely a step up.

The flat bottomed steering wheel is an absolute joy. Telescopic adjustments makes it possible to obtain a comfortable driving position even with the seat pushed back (I am 6' tall). Armrest as an accessory will be supplied and installed free of cost due to new found haggling skills of yours truly.

Not very happy with the headroom clearance coming from a tall profile Figo. Will take some getting used to.

Stereo sounds pretty good, but the engine makes better music. Didn't bother checking out the infotainment system, but from what I have read about in brochures it should do just fine.

This hot hatch is a keeper, for now. Counting down days to delivery.

Question: The default tyres are 195/55/R16. Don't know which brand. Should I upgrade them to better rubber from say Michelin. Which tyres are recommended? This is an upgrade I will want to perform immediately on taking delivery to get the best exchange value.

Quote:
Considering a TSI with trade in. Location is HYD - Either Hitec City or Jubilee Hills branches.

Questions:
  1. How long is the wait period in HYD? or anywhere.
  2. How much can I reasonable expect for the Figo from the VW dealership trade-in?
keith2524 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 15:05   #5982
BANNED

Quote:
My observations from the test drive -

Not liking the smaller ORVMs and IRVMs. Not liking the weaker air con. Not at all liking the slight hesitancy and accompanying sound when moving from standstill (clutch engagement). I believe and hope the test drive car had a shot gearbox. And the engine light was on.

This hot hatch is a keeper, for now. Counting down days to delivery.

Question: The default tyres are 195/55/R16. Don't know which brand. Should I upgrade them to better rubber from say Michelin. Which tyres are recommended? This is an upgrade I will want to perform immediately on taking delivery to get the best exchange value.

In contrast, I find the Figo ORVMs to be awfully small while polo's are adequate. Don't worry about the weak aircon as i have not felt any issues in the delhi heat. There is a bit of a lag while starting but sometimes its as big as 2-3 seconds which is when the hill start assist auto engages.

For the rubber, I would recommend upgrade to Michelin PS4 in 205/50 ZR16 size, best all round option though very pricey. I'm really happy with these.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 15:58   #5983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
For the rubber, I would recommend upgrade to Michelin PS4 in 205/50 ZR16 size, best all round option though very pricey. I'm really happy with these.
Thanks for the recommendation. Did the wider profile increase the steering effort noticeably?
Old 20th May 2019, 22:43   #5984
BHPian

Quote:
My recommendation would be Yoko Earth 1s 195/55/R16. Have been using these for almost 3 years now. HIGHLY recommended. If you're lucky there are a few dealers who even let you put them on and go for a small test drive. Keep them on and pay the bill if you're satisfied. I have recommended these to 2-3 BHPians as well now, none of them were disappointed.
namanchaudhary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 23:16   #5985
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. Did the wider profile increase the steering effort noticeably?
Yes the steering is a bit heavier after the upgrade.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks