Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2021, 17:46   #6721
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Someone, please help identify the 3-4 clicking (khat khat ) sounds at the end of the video. The car is 1 year old with 7000Km in the ODO. Yesterday, I was trying to jump-start another car and had the bonnet open when switching off the engine and noticed this sound. Have not noticed it earlier, maybe because the noise is not very evident inside the cabin. I shared the video with my SA who says other GT's in the service center also behave the same.

Last edited by Jaguar : 26th March 2021 at 17:47.
Old 27th March 2021, 23:01   #6722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Someone, please help identify the 3-4 clicking (khat khat ) sounds at the end of the video. The car is 1 year old with 7000Km in the ODO. Yesterday, I was trying to jump-start another car and had the bonnet open when switching off the engine and noticed this sound.
Seems to be lil unusual the khat khat. Was the car cold when you noticed this sound?
I would suggest get the car scanned at service center just for mental peace.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th April 2021 at 16:34. Reason: Fixing quote tags
Old 28th March 2021, 11:06   #6723
BHPian

Quote:
Someone, please help identify the 3-4 clicking (khat khat ) sounds at the end of the video.
Tappet noise. Ask your SA to cut the BS and escalate the issue. Probably the tappet clearances are somewhat off or the hydraulic actuation mechanism(tappets in TSI engine run on hydraulic fluid pressure, not springs) is having issues. If the noise does not go away after cold start and/or sufficient oil pressure builds up, it's an issue that needs redressal.

Anyway, look into it ASAP.
Old 28th March 2021, 11:11   #6724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Someone, please help identify the 3-4 clicking (khat khat ) sounds at the end of the video. The car is 1 year old with 7000Km in the ODO. Yesterday, I was trying to jump-start another car and had the bonnet open when switching off the engine and noticed this sound. Have not noticed it earlier, maybe because the noise is not very evident inside the cabin. I shared the video with my SA who says other GT's in the service center also behave the same.
https://Youtu.be/nY7tfr1wAoM
This noise is completely normal. Even my Jetta TDI does it every time after shutting off. And I have observed the exact same thing on my Chevrolet Spark as well. You have nothing to worry about.
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 12:24   #6725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ02 View Post
Seems to be lil unusual the khat khat. Was the car cold when you noticed this sound?
I would suggest get the car scanned at service center just for mental peace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
Tappet noise. Ask your SA to cut the BS and escalate the issue. Probably the tappet clearances are somewhat off or the hydraulic actuation mechanism(tappets in TSI engine run on hydraulic fluid pressure, not springs) is having issues. If the noise does not go away after cold start and/or sufficient oil pressure builds up, it's an issue that needs redressal.

Anyway, look into it ASAP.
Yes, the engine had not warmed up as I had just started the car in my parking for a few min. The fuel quality is also a suspect since I had filled up from an unknown pump on the highway last week. I'll fill up 99 Ron fuel and check again after the engine has warmed up properly.
Old 6th April 2021, 18:23   #6726
Senior - BHPian

Quick update for VW owners. VW is offering massive discount on Extended / Addon warranty and Service Value Packages. The rates are almost 40-50% less than usual prices.

I picked up a 2 Yr SVP for 14999/- for my Polo GT TSI.

Addon warranty for same car for 5th Year was also reduced by Rs. 6000. Got that for around Rs. 8.5K against regular price if around 14K.

The offers are part of a celebration month offer that runs through till end of this month.
Traveler is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 16:08   #6727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Quick update for VW owners. VW is offering massive discount on Extended / Addon warranty and Service Value Packages. The rates are almost 40-50% less than usual prices.

Addon warranty for same car for 5th Year was also reduced by Rs. 6000. Got that for around Rs. 8.5K against regular price if around 14K.
Hi, Can you take the 5th year warranty when your car is already under extended warranty? Mine is 2+2 (extended warranty). Every time I checked they say come back in the 4th year.

You got a pretty awesome deal for 2 Year SVP, I paid 21500/- 6 months back.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2021 at 16:05. Reason: Fixing quote tags / spacing for readability
Old 7th April 2021, 16:39   #6728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ02 View Post
Hi, Can you take the 5th year warranty when your car is already under extended warranty? Mine is 2+2 (extended warranty). Every time I checked they say come back in the 4th year.

You got a pretty awesome deal for 2 Year SVP, I paid 21500/- 6 months back.
Addon warranty can be taken when there are 30 days or less remaining for the expiry of your extended warranty. So you need to visit them when there is a month left for your extended warranty.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2021 at 16:05. Reason: editing quoted post
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 17:53   #6729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

The offers are part of a celebration month offer that runs through till end of this month.
My 5th year Add on warranty is expiring on May 29, 2021. I called my SA and he said I cannot renew it until May 10, 2021. What absurd rule is this!

I love the car, but I wish I could say the same for VW customer service.
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 21:19   #6730
Senior - BHPian

Although my stock headlamps were in working condition, I replaced them with Osram Night Breaker Laser (they are just brighter bulbs, falling firmly under the category of a mild upgrade only)

Got them from an auto accessories store at Calicut earlier this year when I visited my hometown. I made sure I saw the box and it was sealed, also registered the product serial number online to be doubly sure.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-pxl_20210106_060259969.jpg

I noticed that my stock headlamps were indeed Osram and well, but for the bluish hue in the glass housing the new one looked exactly the same.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-pxl_20210106_060324460.portrait.jpg
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-pxl_20210106_060843652.portrait.jpg

Bulb replacement was a fuss free affair (as I noticed from the sidelines, hands in pockets). The housing had to come out after which the bulbs were clipped to the socket.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-pxl_20210106_061117798.jpg
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-pxl_20210106_061056482.jpg

Being of H7 type, it meant 4 headlamp bulbs in all
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-pxl_20210106_064745642.portrait.jpg

The bulbs sure burn brighter and whiter (the high beam is mighty bright to dazzle the hell out of on coming traffic, just a reminder for headlamp low beam courtesy)
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-pxl_20210106_064922973.jpg

The blue tinge is what makes the yellow halogens appear whiter I suppose
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-pxl_20210106_064906997.jpg

On the whole the spread of the beam is unchanged (or not messed up, which was the main reason I went for this minor upgrade keeping everything stock) the whiter, brighter feeling is good (just like teeth )

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 13th June 2021 at 21:21.
GeeTee TSI is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 17:48   #6731
BHPian

I noticed today that the rear left damper on my 32k km run 2018 GT TSI has started leaking.
I might take this opportunity to upgrade to Sachs / Bilstein dampers. Any idea where I can source these in Mumbai / Pune / Thane? Also, what would be the approximate damage to the wallet with either of these options?
Old 29th June 2021, 18:01   #6732
BHPian

Around 30k for the Sachs. Bilsteins will set you back by 90k or more. However, unless you are a corner carver I would say to stay away. I have the Sachs installed in my GT and the suspension is stiffer for my liking. It also makes some clinking noise but I am yet to find the reason.

Last edited by corvus corax : 29th June 2021 at 18:09.
corvus corax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 10:43   #6733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
Around 30k for the Sachs. Bilsteins will set you back by 90k or more. However, unless you are a corner carver I would say to stay away. I have the Sachs installed in my GT and the suspension is stiffer for my liking. It also makes some clinking noise but I am yet to find the reason.
Thanks! 90k is definitely steep - I was expecting about 60-65k. While I'm not a very aggressive driver, I do like pushing the car a little on the twisties.
However, given the state of the roads in Mumbai, especially during the monsoons, a very stiff suspension setup might not be the most prudent choice.
Are the Sachs very stiff at low speeds? And is the tradeoff in handling worth it?
Old 2nd July 2021, 11:10   #6734
BHPian

Once the shocks are bed in you will get the feel and nature of every pothole, road undulation and surface imperfections. And if you carry too much speed at some sharp speed breakers the car would jump and land in such a harsh manner that would make you feel that the tyre had lost contact with the ground for a brief moment. In my case that may have been compounded by the shift to Conti Max Contact tyres around the same time and I also run the recommended 36 psi front and 39 psi behind.

On the flip side the car is more stable at highway speeds and I can carry more speed at the corners. However, I don't do much highway commutes these days and driving the car in regional roads I do kinda feel remorseful about the upgrade. But cornering is fun that I would admit.

I suggest you make the choice depending on the nature of your commute. There will be moments that you would love it and there will be moments that you would hate it. If you wanna retain some comfort for rear passengers you can experiment with changing the front shocks only but I would advice against this. Changing the shocks also improve braking perfomance but not by a very big margin. I am sorry if I am adding your confusion!

Last edited by corvus corax : 2nd July 2021 at 11:16.
Old 2nd July 2021, 13:03   #6735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
In my case that may have been compounded by the shift to Conti Max Contact tyres around the same time and I also run the recommended 36 psi front and 39 psi behind.
But why are you running such high pressure? VW is known to quote unusually high tire pressures. I'd suggest you to reduce the tire pressures to around 33-34. I'm pretty sure everyone fills it up to that range. I do that for the Vento with the same tire size and out hasn't caused any issue.

Along with higher comfort, even tire wear will come down. The downside is slightly higher sidewall flex during hard cornering.

Do give us a review after reducing the pressure, if you're comfortable with it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks