Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2021, 17:29   #6781
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
On a separate note, I noticed this today i.e. bent fins on the radiator and I'm sure this isn't a good thing. Is this service centers pressure wash issue or just air and insects?
Yes its due to high speed pressure wash water directed towards the radiator fins. I know since I did same mistake long time back with my Karcher on my Vento.

Quote:
But how to fix this now?
Cannot be fixed. No problem unless your car is overheating.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 18:39   #6782
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrisonMike View Post
Odd, I had spoken to someone from the showroom who said that getting a warranty for the car would be possible. But I will confirm nevertheless.

Perfect, that should be sufficient information for me to decide.

Yeah, I've heard some horror stories regarding the DSG gearbox, but I've also heard about people not experiencing it despite having a car with 90-1lac+ kms done. I think it's an example where the negative aspect of some is given far more light than the positives. I've also heard that VW has improved the DQ200 post 2014 or so, so I am hoping that I get a car with a gearbox from a good batch.

The TSI AT is pretty new atm and I don't want to shell out that much on a 10 year old chassis tbh. Now, if VW showed signs of a facelifted version of the current polo, with LED's, refreshed interiors with the new infotainment panel and digital cluster, maybe I could have held back for a few more months. But I think it's pretty clear that India won't be getting the newer, let alone the latest generation of the Polo.

DSG should be avoided unless you are at a level to appreciate it compared to conventional AT. You are being very optimistic about the long term reliability of a 2015 DSG car. Unless you get a large dose of dopamine released with DSG snapping shifts near redline - some of us are addicted to it - there are better ATs to consider. It's a great car, but should be bought with a good understanding of risk vs reward. A poor choice for congested urban traffic commute.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 21:00   #6783
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
It is not necessary to put the car in N. You can keep the brake pressed.
That is considered a bad idea with the DSG, especially DQ200 being dry clutch. At least that is what I've always read and practiced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
DSG should be avoided unless you are at a level to appreciate it compared to conventional AT. You are being very optimistic about the long term reliability of a 2015 DSG car. Unless you get a large dose of dopamine released with DSG snapping shifts near redline - some of us are addicted to it - there are better ATs to consider.
I guess, some of us got lucky (or some unlucky!). There is more to DSG than snapping shifts near redline, the way it takes off without the excessive slippage of a conventional AT, is something that keeps me engaged. The fact that it behaves well with shifters is another plus. But I agree, if one doesn't see a difference between driving a CVT/ TC AT/ DSG, there are safer choices and its also not right to assume that someone trying AT for the first time will eventually not enjoy the difference.

Last edited by SLK : 12th September 2021 at 21:01.
SLK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 21:39   #6784
BHPian

Quote:
That is considered a bad idea with the DSG, especially DQ200 being dry clutch. At least that is what I've always read and practiced.
What do you do in this case? I know these sound like trivial questions, but I'd like to be well informed about such things personally.

When and where is it considered OK to use the brakes/N/P and during which scenarios?
Old 13th September 2021, 00:50   #6785
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you do in this case? I know these sound like trivial questions, but I'd like to be well informed about such things personally.

When and where is it considered OK to use the brakes/N/P and during which scenarios?
You can search around the forum and will find multiple mentions of shifting to N for DSG as a good practice.

What I do - Shift to N when the stoppage time is >10 secs or so. I may still continue to press the brake or engage the handbrake if stopped for longer, but always in N. P only when parked.

This habit is safer too, if you have a habit of only using brake, you will someday get out of the car engaged in D, after you have come to a halt (your mind believing this is stop, not being used to shifting to N).

Why - my guess - Disengaged clutch vs disengaged gear are 2 different things. In a dry clutch DSG, when you are holding the plates apart, unlike manual, the clutch disengagement is just enough to keep the clutch at biting point hence generating heat (the actual enemy of this gearbox).

Last edited by SLK : 13th September 2021 at 00:52.
SLK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 06:35   #6786
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

+1 to SLK. When the DSG is in D mode and the brake is pressed, the clutch is at biting point and is slipping which generates heat. This can lead to clutch wear if extensively driven in city traffic.

What I do is I slot the DSG to N at signals and keep the brake pressed.

It is not recommended to shift to P in signals. When shifted to P, there is something called a parking pin that locks the gears. If there is a rear ending situation and the car moves, this can break this parking pin. So I use P mode only when I park the car and get out of the car.
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 12:27   #6787
BHPian

What should one look for in a 2013 vintage GT Tsi DSG done around 35000 km? I am being offered one - but don't know what price to offer? Car appears to be in good nick, but have to test drive it.

Also, what specifically do I look for when "testing" the DSG? Judder going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd in crawl mode? Anything else?

The car interests me - but I am wary about the DSG. As someone pointed out, he said it was a bad choice for bumper-to-bumper traffic. This is due to overheating right?
Old 13th September 2021, 12:45   #6788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
What should one look for in a 2013 vintage GT Tsi DSG done around 35000 km? I am being offered one - but don't know what price to offer? Car appears to be in good nick, but have to test drive it.

Also, what specifically do I look for when "testing" the DSG? Judder going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd in crawl mode? Anything else?

The car interests me - but I am wary about the DSG. As someone pointed out, he said it was a bad choice for bumper-to-bumper traffic. This is due to overheating right?
I was offered a 2014 model with 48k done for 5.1L,
By that logic, a 2013 should be at least 60k-1L lesser.
Although I would personally avoid going for anything less than a 2015 year model.
PrisonMike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 20:10   #6789
BHPian

I was experiencing sound/vibrations on my 1.2TSI around 2k rpm for last 6 months and was very irritating given the car is absolutely silent and rattle-free otherwise.

In the past I had seen the cap/cover on the top of strut mounts dislodged and was lying in the cavity - which I supposed was the cause of this sound, but even after putting the covers in place, I could see the sound was persisting.

This week I observed that the ECU had come out of its plastic holder and was probably making sound. What surprised me to the core was that such a important and expensive component was hanging out of the plastic holder and was not secured with a screw into the body (as in my previous cars). Talking to one of my trusted mechanic at the service centre I learnt that its a common issue, its common for one of the 3 plastic locks to easily give up and leave the ECU hanging in the air.

I have got it fastened for now using a zip-tie, something that was suggested by the above mechanic and also my another mechanic at a FNG.

Anyone who might have faced something similar, did you find any graceful solutions? Given the mechanic said its so common on the car - I was surprised to not find instances of this mentioned here on the forum.
Rahul_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 22:20   #6790
BHPian

This may sound slightly off topic, but does the 2015 year GT TSI has a digital speedometer reading in the MID? I don't remember seeing it while I was browsing through the variation displays.
Old 13th September 2021, 23:06   #6791
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This may sound slightly off topic, but does the 2015 year GT TSI has a digital speedometer reading in the MID? I don't remember seeing it while I was browsing through the variation displays.
Yes, it has. Also you can enable a few things using VCDS, like I enabled instant (current) fuel economy.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 23:14   #6792
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it has. Also you can enable a few things using VCDS, like I enabled instant (current) fuel economy.
Can you also enabled a beep/horn audio confirmation when locking and unlocking the car?
Old 13th September 2021, 23:36   #6793
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you also enabled a beep/horn audio confirmation when locking and unlocking the car?
Yes, e.g. I have only locking confirmation enabled. Unlock is silent.

You can search around the forum, you will find a lot of VCDS hacks, some useful, some not so much.

I also have pedal shifters installed and which were also enabled through VCDS.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 21:00   #6794
BHPian

After what year has VW switched up the oiling used in the gearbox from a synthetic to a mineral based oil? Many reports have claimed that post the switch to mineral based oil, the gearbox is a lot more reliable as compared to previous iterations.
Old 16th September 2021, 00:58   #6795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also have pedal shifters installed and which were also enabled through VCDS.
What coding was required? In my case, the steering wheel with paddle shifters was simple plug and play, no VCDS/OBD11 coding was required. Mine is the last lot of 1.2 GT TSI, bought in Jan 2020.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks