Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2021, 16:37   #6811
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter Mile View Post
Thanks PrisonMike. Seems I am in luck as well. Stretched the budget a bit and found a 2016 White Polo GT TSi through a network of friends.

At 6.6L I got a genuine 35,000kms on the ODO Single Owner vehicle. Checked the record at VW and seems clean. Spic and span both engine and aesthetics for a 2016 model, bone stock. Quite excited and plan an upgrade for a new set of shoes and 16" alloys to start with.

Many thanks again for your inputs. Cheers !
Some basic mods done and this is how the TSi looks now. A GT grill badge is on the way.

Initial impressions - This is such a joy to drive honestly!

Some Pictures:

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-1-img_6086.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-2-img_6082.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-3-img_6081.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-4-img_6077.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-5-img_6083.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-6-img_6085.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-7-img_6095.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-8-img_6092.jpg
Quarter Mile is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 19:47   #6812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some basic mods done and this is how the TSi looks now.
"Some basic mods" buddy? I think this is closer to necessary

Looks sweet man with those smoked out tail lights. Any plans on updating the headlights as well? Are these 17" rims? The tires appear to be jutting out ever so slightly, but the stance is just perfect.

Quote:
A GT grill badge is on the way.
So are you trying to rebadge your Polo into a GT TSI? You should have had one as default if it was a GT right?
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 20:10   #6813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
"Some basic mods" buddy? I think this is closer to necessary

Looks sweet man with those smoked out tail lights. Any plans on updating the headlights as well? Are these 17" rims? The tires appear to be jutting out ever so slightly, but the stance is just perfect.

So are you trying to rebadge your Polo into a GT TSI? You should have had one as default if it was a GT right?
Hahaha thanks mate.

Quickly realised in a day that the stock headlights aint no good. I also hear some of the aftermarket headlights dont last too long as well. Any recommendations which dont cost an arm and leg?

These are 16" rims and the 205/50 is just apt.

This is a GT TSi however for some reason the GT grill badge was missing.
Old 14th October 2021, 21:10   #6814
Senior - BHPian

My 2018 GT TSI just came back from its 3rd year service. Car has only done about 22,500 Kms but 2nd ABS sensor has gone kaput in 3 months. On discussing this with teh SA I was told that I should expect the other remaining sensors to go as well. Also apparently VW is relooking at the design of ABS sensors on teh Polo and hence spare parts are being withheld.

Is anyone else have had an issue with the ABS sensors regularly?
Old 15th October 2021, 02:58   #6815
BHPian

Quote:
Hahaha thanks mate.

Quickly realised in a day that the stock headlights aint no good. I also hear some of the aftermarket headlights dont last too long as well. Any recommendations which dont cost an arm and leg?

These are 16" rims and the 205/50 is just apt.

This is a GT TSi however for some reason the GT grill badge was missing.
Looking good man! the car deserves to be lowered with that stance though.

I myself an on the lookout for a good set of GTI headlights. I personally love the way they look out of all the options I have seen so far, and the car is jsut begging for a set of DRL's.

So far on the to-do-list

- VCDS mods
- Auto headlight switch with welcome home etc
- Infotainment system upgrade to RCD 340G
- VW Logo flip reversing cam
- GTI Headlights, updated tailights (non smoked out)
- Stage 1+ remap.
- New set of wheels + better rims.
Old 17th October 2021, 08:28   #6816
BHPian

I have a 2015 Nov Polo GT petrol and yesterday the following happened:

1. I got the ABS indicator along with 2 separate instance of judder and speedometer dancing in a still car - this I believe is one or more ABS sensor going kaput. Has happened earlier and was resolved easily by replacing ABS sensor free of cost under warranty.

2. Then I got the dreaded blinking of gear indicator. All of sudden my car was stuck in first gear and the D1/P/N was blinking. I stopped and started the car and it started working smoothly. Then after a short stop the same thing happened but this time I started hearing click-click-click sort of sound along with gear indicator blinking. This was never seen before and I stopped the car. Post that I drove back home (15+ km) in manual mode. The gears were behaving perfectly normal in manual mode. They would easily downshift in case of low speed and upshift if I do it manually.

Is this the dreaded DSG issue with the whole hog, multi-clutch, flywheel and mectronics, going kaput? Give the car worked fine in manual mode, could this be something smaller malfunctioning?

My car has been in stock condition and always serviced at the same workshop, VW Downtown Mumbai. The only deviation I have done is replaced the tyres in 2020 with 195 profile and got battery from outside twice. Good part (hopefully) is that the car is under warranty till 08 Nov. In a separate conversation a week back, VW has already refused 7th year warrant without looking at the car. Incidentally I had booked a service appointment for 18 Oct and taking the car to workshop tomorrow. Any inputs will help me deal better with the SA. Thanks for the help.
manish84 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 17:29   #6817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Is anyone else have had an issue with the ABS sensors regularly?
I can confirm that my factory fitted ABS sensors - 3 of them went kaput within 3-6 months of each other - between may be 3rd to 4th year of ownership.

However, the replaced sensors have been fine - this is the 7th year (but there has been lesser travel for last 2 years); so have to wait for the final outcome - if they are really fine.

The earlier ones were in warranty but as next would be paid for
Old 18th October 2021, 18:35   #6818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
I have a 2015 Nov Polo GT petrol and yesterday the following happened:

Is this the dreaded DSG issue with the whole hog, multi-clutch, flywheel and mectronics, going kaput? Give the car worked fine in manual mode, could this be something smaller malfunctioning?
My understanding is that this is the ABS sensor. I have been told that the malfunctioning ABS sensor also leads to multiple lights on the instrument cluster and gears behaving abnormally.

BTW none of the workshops in Mumbai have ABS sensors!
Old 18th October 2021, 23:43   #6819
BHPian

Mates!! I'm looking for a used automatic car. Came across a Polo GT TSi 2019, 57000 KM, UP registered (I'm in Delhi), seller asking 7.05L. Price maybe negotiable. Haven't seen the car.
But the question is what to look for in the car regarding the DSG?

Also , if the extended warranty is not there, can I purchase it?
Old 19th October 2021, 00:18   #6820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Mates!! I'm looking for a used automatic car. Came across a Polo GT TSi 2019, 57000 KM, UP registered (I'm in Delhi), seller asking 7.05L. Price maybe negotiable. Haven't seen the car.

7L for a 2019 GT is crazy good value. However, it has done 57k, and you don't know how the previous owner has treated her. You have to test drive the car yourself and decide only post that.
I personally, don't consider car's that have done more than 40k to begin with.
I recently purchased a 2015 GT with 23k done, so at least in my case I know that the car has barely been driven since the purchase, so any mechanical issues (if any) would be minimal by comparison. *touchwood*

Think to look for with regards to DSG from my experience so far:
- Check if the car crawls forward in D without pressing the accelerator.
- Check to see if there is a pronounced jerk, or even a jerk in general between D2 and D3. A slight jerk is quiet common amongst DSG, so nothing to worry about that. In my case, I can barely feel it, if at all.
- Make sure you review the service history of the car. The car is coming up to it's 60k mark which requires another major service. Make sure the previous owner did the needful during the previous services in terms of changes the DSG oil and general maintenance.
- Probably also a good idea to ask if the DSG software was updates during his ownership.

In terms of warranty, I believe you can still apply for the extended warranty provided all the previous services were done in an authorized VW workshop.
PrisonMike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 11:53   #6821
BHPian

Thanks mate!! I have my eyes also on a 2017 GT TSi done about 25000KM. Dealer is asking 7.25L. Will go and see the car tomorrow.
Old 19th October 2021, 12:51   #6822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A Polo at 57k km is a difficult choice to make, unless you know the owner and his/her driving habits. Given a choice, I would stay away from such high-running cars if you intend to use this as a primary car for yourself.

By 57k km, the DSG and the dual mass flywheel setup would have undergone substantial running - and that's the first thing you will need to get it checked before buying.
Also check for any remaps/mods done.
You should get the steering rack and the suspension also checked.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 13:24   #6823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
A Polo at 57k km is a difficult choice to make, unless you know the owner and his/her driving habits. Given a choice, I would stay away from such high-running cars if you intend to use this as a primary car for yourself.

By 57k km, the DSG and the dual mass flywheel setup would have undergone substantial running - and that's the first thing you will need to get it checked before buying.
Also check for any remaps/mods done.
You should get the steering rack and the suspension also checked.
Thanks!!

And what about the 2017, 25000 KM one?

Just for the sake of argument here the car which ran 57K in 2.5 years means about 70 KM daily. This means that it involves some highway runs primarily as in a city covering 70KM in a day would be impossible.

Whereas the car which ran 25K in 4 years means 16 KM daily approx (if run daily). So it would be run mostly in the lots of stop 'n go city traffic.

So, if theory applies correctly in the 2nd car the DSG would suffer more than the 1st car. Suspension and steering of course would be the reverse case.

Is my theory correct?
Old 19th October 2021, 13:40   #6824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!!

And what about the 2017, 25000 KM one?
Just for the sake of argument here the car which ran 57K in 2.5 years means about 70 KM daily. This means that it involves some highway runs primarily as in a city covering 70KM in a day would be impossible.

Whereas the car which ran 25K in 4 years means 16 KM daily approx (if run daily). So it would be run mostly in the lots of stop 'n go city traffic.

So, if theory applies correctly in the 2nd car the DSG would suffer more than the 1st car. Suspension and steering of course would be the reverse case.

Is my theory correct?
Your theory is correct, but it remains at that, a theory

Both high and low-running cars have their disadvantages. One with very high mileage may have undergone wear & tear, while the one with very low mileage will have its own set to look after.
If you can find out more and get the service record properly checked, followed by a paid inspection from the VW authorised dealer, that should help you in making an informed decision either ways.

57000 km/2 years vs 25000 km/4 years - assuming all things are properly checked and found ok, I would take the latter.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 13:54   #6825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Your theory is correct, but it remains at that, a theory

Both high and low-running cars have their disadvantages. One with very high mileage may have undergone wear & tear, while the one with very low mileage will have its own set to look after.
If you can find out more and get the service record properly checked, followed by a paid inspection from the VW authorised dealer, that should help you in making an informed decision either ways.

57000 km/2 years vs 25000 km/4 years - assuming all things are properly checked and found ok, I would take the latter.
Thanks again. I will look into the detailed service history. Also insist for a checkup with the SC. Let me see.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks