Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2021, 11:49   #6766
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
When people say warranty when it comes to DSG, please keep in mind that for the clutch pack you will need to pay the price of the clutch pack since it is a wear and tear part. They will also change the flywheel along with it. Clutch pack is 75k, flywheel 25k, labour 5k and taxes.

I am not sure if the second owner can get the extended warranty. If the car had shown any niggles before they would deny the warranty for the first owner himself.

See if the creep mode is still working. Have the car bring to a halt throttle up suddenly and see if there are any vibrations or jerks. Do the same thing again from almost stopping speeds. The jerks that occur at shifting from 2nd to 3rd can be a sign but it does happen in healthier cars aswell, so can be misleading.

Also, even if the clutch pack is changed there is no guarantee that the car will serve you trouble free for a greater mileage. I have read somewhere in this forum that a car fried its second clutch pack at 500kms and VW denied warranty!
Thanks for this! Also, with the new Torque converter and the 1.0 liter engine, how much does miss comparing it to the DSG. Because you are really free of any trouble that the DSG might bring up. I read somewhere that the gear shifts are still quick, maybe a tad slower than the DSG, but is it really noticeable in real life? Same with the slightly softer suspension.
Old 8th September 2021, 12:01   #6767
BHPian

I am yet to drive the new GT so can't comment on that. It would be better to take a test drive and compare as the experience and feel would be the better judge than relying on opinions.
corvus corax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 21:38   #6768
BHPian

Hi, Can anybody here help me source the O2 sensors for my 2016 GT TSI? Also is there any aftermarket sensors available and if so how good are they?

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 9th September 2021 at 21:45.
Old 9th September 2021, 22:16   #6769
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Thanks for this! Also, with the new Torque converter and the 1.0 liter engine, how much does miss comparing it to the DSG. Because you are really free of any trouble that the DSG might bring up. I read somewhere that the gear shifts are still quick, maybe a tad slower than the DSG, but is it really noticeable in real life? Same with the slightly softer suspension.
Suspension is the same as before.

It is not a DSG but a reasonably good Torque converter. There's no mechanical shift feel of a DSG but you'll miss it only if you have driven a DSG regularly. Its fine for most people and better in terms of reliability. But not as fun.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 19:11   #6770
BHPian

Hey guys:

So I am on the cusp of buying a used 2015 GT TSI with 23k on the odometer. The car literally looks brand new, with zero scratches on the body, and drives great as well.

However, I would like to do a pre-purchase inspection at an official VW service center, and I have chosen Autobahn Automotive, Kurla.

My question now is,

- Is there anything specific I need to mention to the service center to look into while doing the inspection? Or do they have a set of pre-listed part and components they generally inspect?

- Do I need to specifically ask them to check for error codes as well?

- Is it worth (or even possible) to get an extended warranty from VW? Or should I stick to a well known local garage?

If anyone has anything else to add to this, please do let me know, I am all ears.

Thank you!
Old 11th September 2021, 19:55   #6771
BHPian

Hey guys

So, I am on the cusp of buying a 2015 GT TSI with 23k on the odo.

Physically, the car looks absolutely pristine.
The car drives great too. I am not familiar with how a DSG transmission should ideally perform, but this one seemed seamless with it's transition with no visible lag or shudder during shifts. (This is my first AT car, after driving stick for almost 17 years)

Obviously, being a used card, I wanted to get it pre-inspected by an authorized VW service center, to give me the all clear before I make my full and final payments. For this, I have chosen Autobahn Automotive located in Kurla.

My queries are as follows:

- Do I need to ask the mechanics there to check anything specific about the car? Or do they have a pre-inspection process already laid out?

- Do they need to run an error code diagnosis for the car?

- Is it worth (or even possible) to apply for an extended warranty from VW itself? Or am I better off using a well known local garage around my area?

If there are any other points of concern that I need to consider, please do let me know. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you!
Old 12th September 2021, 12:37   #6772
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrisonMike View Post
Hey guys

Just check if you would miss out on cruise control and electronic folding mirrors? - and if they matter to you. My 2015 doesn't have these, and I do miss them!

Quote:
- Is it worth (or even possible) to apply for an extended warranty from VW itself? Or am I better off using a well known local garage around my area?
Local garage, no, I would not recommend.

And don't let street-side Schumachers test drive the car to assess its fitness, it will cause more damage to you. A 6k rpm jackrabbit start and a screeching halt does not tell anything about the health of a car.

Quote:
If there are any other points of concern that I need to consider, please do let me know.
- Get it to a good alignment service - it will instantly reveal any un-adjustable suspension issues.

- Check steering play by moving it left-right from the center and driving slow over rough roads. (my car had one changed under warranty)

- The fuel lid lock often goes bad i.e. the fuel lid can be opened even when the car is locked.

- The insulation material under the hood goes loose and drops/ hangs, just get that fixed.

- Check the roof antenna for any sign of play/ looseness, if so, it will be a pain as water will seep into the car. (I had this because I replaced my antenna with a Chinese sharfin after dogs ate the original).

Despite popular belief that these cars are less reliable than others, I've never had any real issues in 70k kms.

---------------------------------

On a separate note, I noticed this today i.e. bent fins on the radiator and I'm sure this isn't a good thing. Is this service centers pressure wash issue or just air and insects? (The car has had its share of high speed drives in its young days).

But how to fix this now?

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20210912_113726.jpg
SLK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 12:53   #6773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Just check if you would miss out on cruise control and electronic folding mirrors? - and if they matter to you. My 2015 doesn't have these, and I do miss them!
IMO, electrically foldable mirrors don't make a driver's car. Cruise control is a creature comfort that only useful at long highway drives, I don't tend take long drives as such, but regardless, I don't think I'll miss that feature.

Quote:
Local garage, no, I would not recommend.

And don't let street-side Schumachers test drive the car to assess its fitness, it will cause more damage to you. A 6k rpm jackrabbit start and a screeching halt does not tell anything about the health of a car.
Is it possible to then get a warranty from VW itself? I've heard a lot of people saying it's a waste of money and that you're better off using a good garage.

Quote:

- Get it to a good alignment service - it will instantly reveal any un-adjustable suspension issues.

- Check steering play by moving it left-right from the center and driving slow over rough roads. (my car had one changed under warranty)

- The fuel lid lock often goes bad i.e. the fuel lid can be opened even when the car is locked.

- The insulation material under the hood goes loose and drops/ hangs, just get that fixed.

- Check the roof antenna for any sign of play/ looseness, if so, it will be a pain as water will seep into the car. (I had this because I replaced my antenna with a Chinese sharfin after dogs ate the original).

Despite popular belief that these cars are less reliable than others, I've never had any real issues in 70k kms.
Thanks for these, I will keep them in mind!
Old 12th September 2021, 14:14   #6774
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If there are any other points of concern that I need to consider, please do let me know. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you!
This car would be out of warranty and I don't think you will have the option to buy any extended warranty.

VW dealer will be competent enough to do pre purchase inspection including a full diagnostic scan report. Ask them to give a service estimate - that will give you an idea of what the car needs immediately.

All said and done, you must realise that Polo TSI+DSG can be very expensive if any repairs are needed - and the likelihood of needing a repair is also relatively high.

If you are looking for a general purpose automatic hatch, you must avoid DSG. There are much better and smoother alternatives including Polo 1.0 TSI AT, but if you know why you want DSG, then it's a car without a substitute. Just save up for the rainy day and pull the trigger. If finances are a priority, consider Jazz AT and Baleno AT.

Think of yourself wanting to give a tip to a waiter and your wallet only has 500 rupee notes and because you pulled out your purse and committed to give the tip, you reluctantly give that 500 rupee note as a tip. That's what VW did by giving Polo TSI+DSG to the Indian driving enthusiasts :-) Such generosity doesn't happen everyday in our auto markets.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 14:34   #6775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
This car would be out of warranty and I don't think you will have the option to buy any extended warranty.
Odd, I had spoken to someone from the showroom who said that getting a warranty for the car would be possible. But I will confirm nevertheless.

Quote:

VW dealer will be competent enough to do pre purchase inspection including a full diagnostic scan report. Ask them to give a service estimate - that will give you an idea of what the car needs immediately.
Perfect, that should be sufficient information for me to decide.

Quote:
All said and done, you must realise that Polo TSI+DSG can be very expensive if any repairs are needed - and the likelihood of needing a repair is also relatively high.

If you are looking for a general purpose automatic hatch, you must avoid DSG. There are much better and smoother alternatives including Polo 1.0 TSI AT, but if you know why you want DSG, then it's a car without a substitute. Just save up for the rainy day and pull the trigger. If finances are a priority, consider Jazz AT and Baleno AT.
Yeah, I've heard some horror stories regarding the DSG gearbox, but I've also heard about people not experiencing it despite having a car with 90-1lac+ kms done. I think it's an example where the negative aspect of some is given far more light than the positives. I've also heard that VW has improved the DQ200 post 2014 or so, so I am hoping that I get a car with a gearbox from a good batch.

The TSI AT is pretty new atm and I don't want to shell out that much on a 10 year old chassis tbh. Now, if VW showed signs of a facelifted version of the current polo, with LED's, refreshed interiors with the new infotainment panel and digital cluster, maybe I could have held back for a few more months. But I think it's pretty clear that India won't be getting the newer, let alone the latest generation of the Polo.
Old 12th September 2021, 15:23   #6776
BANNED

Quote:
Odd, I had spoken to someone from the showroom who said that getting a warranty for the car would be possible. But I will confirm nevertheless.

Yeah, I've heard some horror stories regarding the DSG gearbox, but I've also heard about people not experiencing it despite having a car with 90-1lac+ kms done. I think it's an example where the negative aspect of some is given far more light than the positives. I've also heard that VW has improved the DQ200 post 2014 or so, so I am hoping that I get a car with a gearbox from a good batch.

The TSI AT is pretty new atm and I don't want to shell out that much on a 10 year old chassis tbh. Now, if VW showed signs of a facelifted version of the current polo, with LED's, refreshed interiors with the new infotainment panel and digital cluster, maybe I could have held back for a few more months. But I think it's pretty clear that India won't be getting the newer, let alone the latest generation of the Polo.
Firstly, great handle. I hope its a reference to the office

Yes you can get add on warranty provided the car was serviced every year within spec and schedule at VW. if it applies to your car or not, only VW can tell.

As for the improved post 2014. I have in my knowledge of worn out clutch packs from cars of 2014-15 that packed up in the last year. So it is very much a possibility but mechatronic gave up only in one 2014 car. So that is a positive. The older the car, the more chance the clutch might be worn out. So it's the choice that you have to make. Cars having done all city miles tend to give up early as compared to highway driven ones.

As for the new features. LED lights can be installed(I've got something in the pipeline) and digital cluster is not possible in this platform (VW makes and offers it only in MQB cars). The platform is definitely solid and do try out both AT types(DSG and AT) to see which one you like. I won't give up my DSG for any other option
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 15:56   #6777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys
Congrats for a gem of a car

Quote:
I am not familiar with how a DSG transmission should ideally perform, but this one seemed seamless with it's transition with no visible lag or shudder during shifts. (This is my first AT car, after driving stick for almost 17 years)
In that case, do check out the Team-BHP DSG chronicles. The DSG is a different beast not like any of the auto-trannies out there.

Quote:
My queries are as follows:
- Do I need to ask the mechanics there to check anything specific about the car? Or do they have a pre-inspection process already laid out?
Battery + steering rack assembly + suspension + DSG (adaptation) + brakes :- should be priority.

Clean service record with oil changes + filter changes etc should be next.

Tyre health, you can get checked from outside.

Quote:
Do they need to run an error code diagnosis for the car?
They will run standard checks, not to worry.

Quote:
Is it worth (or even possible) to apply for an extended warranty from VW itself? Or am I better off using a well known local garage around my area?
IIRC, 2015 models came with 2+2 year warranty. Please confirm from dealer if they can offer you. Please take it if available. Typically, VW gives add-on warranty also.

Local garage to be availed of, only for routine stuff like oil, filters etc .

Quote:
!
Just go easy with the first few hundred km to acclimatise yourself with the DSG rules of engagement. Then, you are set

Last edited by JoshMachine : 12th September 2021 at 16:03.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 16:02   #6778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Firstly, great handle. I hope its a reference to the office
Yes it is!! haha glad someone got the reference.

Quote:
Yes you can get add on warranty provided the car was serviced every year within spec and schedule at VW. if it applies to your car or not, only VW can tell.
I see, well the place where I'm buying from cannot provide the previous service history, which seems like a common problem amongst most used car dealerships. So I will have to get it check via the VW directly.

Quote:
As for the improved post 2014. I have in my knowledge of worn out clutch packs from cars of 2014-15 that packed up in the last year. So it is very much a possibility but mechatronic gave up only in one 2014 car. So that is a positive. The older the car, the more chance the clutch might be worn out. So it's the choice that you have to make. Cars having done all city miles tend to give up early as compared to highway driven ones.
Yeah, what comforts be in my case is that the car seems to be very well maintained, at least from the outside and has a low mileage covered. The car drives great too, thought like I mentioned, this is my first AT car in general, so I don't have prior experience of the so called D2-D3 jerk that I can consciously look out for.
Just as a side note: When in stop go traffic, is keeping the gearbox in N necessary? or will firmly pressing the break be enough and disengage the clutch?

Quote:
As for the new features. LED lights can be installed(I've got something in the pipeline) and digital cluster is not possible in this platform (VW makes and offers it only in MQB cars). The platform is definitely solid and do try out both AT types(DSG and AT) to see which one you like. I won't give up my DSG for any other option
I do tend on doing some upgrades, like the headlights, infotainment system and possibly adding paddle shfiters too, but at a later date. From my understanding, as long as these components are plug and play, they don't affect warranty (if any)
Old 12th September 2021, 16:41   #6779
BANNED

Quote:

Yeah, what comforts be in my case is that the car seems to be very well maintained, at least from the outside and has a low mileage covered. The car drives great too, thought like I mentioned, this is my first AT car in general, so I don't have prior experience of the so called D2-D3 jerk that I can consciously look out for.
Just as a side note: When in stop go traffic, is keeping the gearbox in N necessary? or will firmly pressing the break be enough and disengage the clutch?

I do tend on doing some upgrades, like the headlights, infotainment system and possibly adding paddle shfiters too, but at a later date. From my understanding, as long as these components are plug and play, they don't affect warranty (if any)
If the service has not been done regularly or is being offered by a dealer without a service record please walk away. VW will not offer warranty on such a car

It is not necessary to put the car in N. You can keep the brake pressed. Rather I put it in P so that i can let go off the brake.

All the upgrades that you have mentioned will VOID the warranty. Your best case might be to make them reversible so that you can go back to stock if there is a major warranty claim.
Old 12th September 2021, 16:48   #6780
BHPian

Quote:
If the service has not been done regularly or is being offered by a dealer without a service record please walk away. VW will not offer warranty on such a car
Every single used car dealership I have visited doesn't have record of the service history. They have all requested that I officially get it via VW directly, which I am willing to do. The car that I am planning on going for is via Mahindra First Choice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks