Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2022, 19:52   #6916
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrisonMike View Post
I also 'reset' my DSG just incase there were some faulty codes, or something of such nature.
If you don't mind, can you elaborate what does a 'reset' do?

My TSi has crossed 40K in 6 years. But I have never done this 'reset'. Just curious about what it does and how it helps.
Old 10th February 2022, 19:52   #6917
BHPian

Quote:
Did you order it and have it installed via VW itself? The advisor really turned me off from the idea of getting it done. Quite surprising actually.
Funny story. When I went to get the car serviced, I was given a quote of 6500, which was about half that of the previous year. I guess VW as advertised has reduced maintenance costs. I was partly stunned and partly overjoyed, and I immediately asked that the handrest that I had been eyeing for quite a while be installed, and they did so during the service. It’s been six months and all’s well with the handrest.
Cayman360 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 20:17   #6918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
If you don't mind, can you elaborate what does a 'reset' do?

My TSi has crossed 40K in 6 years. But I have never done this 'reset'. Just curious about what it does and how it helps.
I'm honestly not as well versed with the technical aspects of how the DSG works. But basically from what I've understood - the mechatronics unit comes coded with multiple algorithms and variations. As the car is driven, especially when new, the DSG gearbox "learns" the driver's driving style and incorporates a suitable 'AI' from the set of codes that best suits the driver.

In my case, I had bought the car used, and although it had done very little in terms of mileage, the gearbox felt like it had adopted a more sedated driving style, where it would shift up without using much of the revs, mostly shifting before the 2k mark.

Post me 'resetting' it, the first thing I noticed is that the gearbox used much more of the rev range, often changing between 2.5-3k rpm. The car felt a lot more alive and spirited. Also the downshifts, especially from 3rd to 2nd felt almost non-existent, where was prior to the reset you could feel the typical DSG jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post
Funny story. When I went to get the car serviced, I was given a quote of 6500, which was about half that of the previous year. I guess VW as advertised has reduced maintenance costs. I was partly stunned and partly overjoyed, and I immediately asked that the handrest that I had been eyeing for quite a while be installed, and they did so during the service. It’s been six months and all’s well with the handrest.
I was quoted 6k for the armrest, funnily enough they don't have it in leather, which I was hoping for considering my interior's are all black leather instead of the fabric that's found in the more recent versions. I find it pretty confusing as to why a VW employee would NOT want to recommend me purchasing it.
PrisonMike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 00:07   #6919
BHPian

Quote:

I was quoted 6k for the armrest, funnily enough they don't have it in leather, which I was hoping for considering my interior's are all black leather instead of the fabric that's found in the more recent versions. I find it pretty confusing as to why a VW employee would NOT want to recommend me purchasing it.
What I meant was that the service cost was 6500, which triggered by purchase of the handrest, as I had expected to pay 11-12k for the service. But yes the handrest also cost 6500 I think. They also have a beige one that might look like faux leather, but probably won't suit your black interiors.
Cayman360 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 23:36   #6920

I am in the process of acquiring a late 2015 Polo GT Tsi.

I've driven it twice, its owned by a friend and is very well kept. My only concern is with the DGS DQ200 gear box. While driving it and testing out the sports mode, I noticed that the car was hesitant in shifting up from the 3rd gear.

Is this something I should be scared of or keep in mind while I add this to my garage. I've been looking for a well kept, pre loved, Polo 1.2 GT TSI for longest period of time, so buying this one at 80,000 KMS is a heart over head decision.

Also, does the "Reset" really work on the DSG, I'm going to do this the first thing when I take possession of the car as I've read too that mechatronics adjust to your driving style and it becomes a problem with used cars.

P.S. this is my first post on Team-BHP but i've been swearing by all the information on this website for a better part of the decade.
Old 22nd February 2022, 16:26   #6921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shardul_pathak View Post
I've driven it twice, its owned by a friend and is very well kept. My only concern is with the DGS DQ200 gear box. While driving it and testing out the sports mode, I noticed that the car was hesitant in shifting up from the 3rd gear.
In my opinions, the infamous DSG reliability is a bit blown out of proportion. Sure there have been failures that have been recorded, but IMO light tends to be shed more on the cases of failure than the countless others that have done over 1.5-2 lacs KMS without hassle.
In 'S' mode, the gearbox uses a lot more of the rev range, so I not sure what you mean by hesitation in shifting up from 3rd. If you're giving a linearly increasing throttle input the gears will shift up around the 4-5k RPM mark. Does this happen in the regular drive mode as well?

Quote:

Is this something I should be scared of or keep in mind while I add this to my garage. I've been looking for a well kept, pre loved, Polo 1.2 GT TSI for longest period of time, so buying this one at 80,000 KMS is a heart over head decision.
80,000 KMS is quite a bit for the car. You need for first and foremost make sure the service history checks out. The gearbox is slated for an oil change every 60,000KMS. Do a error code scan and see if the car checks out. Test if the clutch catching in 'D' without any throttle input. The car should start creeping forward.

Quote:

Also, does the "Reset" really work on the DSG, I'm going to do this the first thing when I take possession of the car as I've read too that mechatronics adjust to your driving style and it becomes a problem with used cars.
Yes, the reset does work. You will feel a noticeable change in the shift pattern and behavior of the car, especially when you've gotten used to how the DSG would normally shift otherwise.
PrisonMike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 22:25   #6922

Quote:
In my opinions, the infamous DSG reliability is a bit blown out of proportion. Sure there have been failures that have been recorded, but IMO light tends to be shed more on the cases of failure than the countless others that have done over 1.5-2 lacs KMS without hassle.
In 'S' mode, the gearbox uses a lot more of the rev range, so I not sure what you mean by hesitation in shifting up from 3rd. If you're giving a linearly increasing throttle input the gears will shift up around the 4-5k RPM mark. Does this happen in the regular drive mode as well?
The shift up is pretty smooth in "D", I tried taking the control to manual and shifting gears, the GB slotted 1 through 5 without a fuss. The only visible problem I saw was when I launched it from a stand still in "S". The first and second gears shifted at about 5500 RPM but at the third gear, the car hit the rev limiter.

Quote:
80,000 KMS is quite a bit for the car. You need for first and foremost make sure the service history checks out. The gearbox is slated for an oil change every 60,000KMS. Do a error code scan and see if the car checks out. Test if the clutch catching in 'D' without any throttle input. The car should start creeping forward.
The service history checks out and I was informed only today, that the car is in extended warranty! Boy did I not breath a sigh of relief.
car does slot into "D" without any issues and starts to creep forward. The gear lever however changes position from P-R-N-D-S with only the foot on the brake without pressing the button on top of the gear knob.

Also any idea as to how and when does the mechatronic oil need to be changed?

Quote:
Yes, the reset does work. You will feel a noticeable change in the shift pattern and behavior of the car, especially when you've gotten used to how the DSG would normally shift otherwise.
Doing it the first thing ones I have the car!
Old 23rd February 2022, 19:50   #6923

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
That seems incredibly low!

This Youtube video indicates 51 Ah for a 2011 model 1.2 TSI:

https://Youtu.be/OzgC87FcQyw?t=101

All the recommendations for a 1.2 TSI engine from this UK based website points to a 60 Ah battery.

BHPian shetty_rohan IIRC, has had the battery replaced before. Please send him a PM.

Hi all, I would like to add my 2 cents to this. I bumped across this thread when I was looking for a replacement battery for my 2015 GT TSI and was exploring why our 1.2 TSI has such a high amperage recommend across sites.

Found through bodmoo OEM spec sheet that it has an alternator ratted at 140 ampere charge current which is quite high for a small petrol engine.
Here's a comparison with other variants and it becomes somewhat clear as to why such high Ah ratting is recommended for 1.2 TSI battery.

Polo 1.2 MPI requires a 90 A charge current alternator.
(Bodmoo link:
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-alternator-6278995/)
Polo 1.5 TDI requires a 110 A charge current alternator (Bodmoo link: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-alternator-6279012/)
Polo 1.2 TSI requires a 140 A charge current alternator (Bodmoo link: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-alternator-5450264/)

I'm not sure why the engine comes with an alternator ratted at 140 ampere charge current, maybe the DSG mech unit draws high current for its operations?

If someone can validate this and add some info, it would be super useful.
Old 24th February 2022, 14:09   #6924
BHPian

I have a question that may seem silly to some:

Is the AC compressor active with the climate control unit's screen is lit up? By this I mean, even when the fan speed is set to '0'.
Because I have noticed that the engine seems to run with a bit less stress, especially during start up, when the climate control unit is completely switched off (AC unit screen turned off).
Old 24th February 2022, 17:47   #6925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the AC compressor active with the climate control unit's screen is lit up? By this I mean, even when the fan speed is set to '0'.
Because I have noticed that the engine seems to run with a bit less stress, especially during start up, when the climate control unit is completely switched off (AC unit screen turned off).
The compressor will come to life when you switch on the fan to level 1 atleast. Just pressing the 'AC' button won't help.
And yes, with the AC switched off, the engine will have that much lesser load to bear upon.

Am sure you would have noticed, but if not, then by just pressing the 'AUTO' button once, both the fan speed increases and the compressor switches on.
Old 24th February 2022, 18:48   #6926
BHPian

Quote:
(AC unit screen turned off).
Is it possible to turn the display off ?
Old 25th February 2022, 00:34   #6927
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone installed the OEM armrest? I am in the process of getting one, and had made a few enquiries to different dealers in Mumbai.

What's funny is that the service advisor from Autobahn VW her in Mumbai advised not to install the armrest and it tends to creak a lot. He literally told me that "You'll just be buying noise from us." and recommended me not to go for it.

Anyone else have any issues with the armrest making any kind of noises, rattles or creaks?
I have the OEM arm test in black fabric. Wry well made, absolutely no sounds squeaks creaks or any kind. The inner part of the storage compartment with the arm rest is felt lined too. One shortcoming would be usage of hand break when arm rest is engaged. Would suggest it totally makes a big difference on long drives.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 00:40   #6928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
The compressor will come to life when you switch on the fan to level 1 atleast. Just pressing the 'AC' button won't help.
And yes, with the AC switched off, the engine will have that much lesser load to bear upon.

Am sure you would have noticed, but if not, then by just pressing the 'AUTO' button once, both the fan speed increases and the compressor switches on.
Then why do I hear a slight strain on the engine even with the level set to 0? And by slight, I literally mean noticeable only when you're personally well familiar with the car and how it sounds during start up and running.

Recently, I have decided to switch the car off only after completely turning off the AC unit including it's screen. And turning it back on once the car is in motion. When I do turn it on, I press the AUTO button and let it do it's thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
Is it possible to turn the display off ?
Yes, if you keep turning the dial to the left once the fan speed reaches 0, the display will turn off completely, only leaving the buttons backlit.
PrisonMike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 09:11   #6929
BHPian

Has anyone faced premature brakepad cracking at just 1.5 years and 10K kms? The brakepads have atleast 80% depth left, but the surface has cracked and the brakepad material has started chipping off.

Any leads on finding TVS Super or Hi-Per in Pune for TSi?
Old 25th February 2022, 09:34   #6930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then why do I hear a slight strain on the engine even with the level set to 0? And by slight, I literally mean noticeable only when you're personally well familiar with the car and how it sounds during start up and running.
Normally you will be able to hear the compressor sound whenever it comes on. If your car is at idle, you can see the RPMs jumping slightly when the compressor comes on and dropping when it goes silent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks