Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2021, 16:55   #6841
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Thanks for your inputs. This is a June 2019 model and has a 1.2 DSG. I read some place that the 2019 model came with a RCE 330/340, but I wanted to confirm.

I am still torn between this one and booking a new i10 NLine. We only have a very small VW service outlet in town, compared to 4 workshops of Hyundai!
Well, from what I've read about the NLine so far, it's not as engaging as the Polo GT is, despite it being a much newer car. The gear shifts are slow and lazy, despite it being a DCT. Although, your personal thoughts may vary. But considering you're in Siliguri, I suggest you avoid a VW, regardless of it being pre-owned or new. Just get a regular i20, and have a relatively stress free ownership and save the 2 odd lacs you'd otherwise put in for the Nline. Unless you're hellbent on a warm hatch. I'd suggest you take a test drive of the two and compare them on your own. Because when it comes to decision like these, the heart takes precedence over the brain.
PrisonMike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 17:20   #6842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrisonMike View Post
But considering you're in Siliguri, I suggest you avoid a VW, regardless of it being pre-owned or new. Just get a regular i20, and have a relatively stress free ownership and save the 2 odd lacs you'd otherwise put in for the Nline. Unless you're hellbent on a warm hatch. I'd suggest you take a test drive of the two and compare them on your own. Because when it comes to decision like these, the heart takes precedence over the brain.
Thanks bud. I did drive the nLine and it does feel firmer than the regular i20, and I quite liked the steering feel (better weighted) as well, although I come from owning the T-Jet for a good 9+ years. Cannot compare to the T-Jet, which is in another league in terms of steering feel, mature firm suspension, handling, and driving engagement.

I think the i20 is a great package, but I have been seeing the GT for so long now, mostly when I visit down south in Bangalore and it has always tugged my heart. I have to think with a balanced head, brother.
Old 22nd October 2021, 20:50   #6843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
My understanding is that this is the ABS sensor. I have been told that the malfunctioning ABS sensor also leads to multiple lights on the instrument cluster and gears behaving abnormally.

BTW none of the workshops in Mumbai have ABS sensors!
Got back my car today and the following happened in past 4 days:

1. They replaced the abs sensor under my 6th year warranty after a lot of push as my battery was fitted from outside (what is one supposed to do if battery dies in middle of no where)

2. The dsg blinking error could not be reproduced in the trial runs before and after. SA claims that those errors come as there was ABS sensor failure. I am not convinced as I heard a tick-tick-tick sound along with gear indicator blinking. For now the car is running fine.

3. Even though I explicitly checked about VW about touching the DSG software, which they denied, the car is holding onto gears longer in D mode. It would not upshift before 2000 rpm in lower 1-5 gears. There is a definitive chnage in upshift behaviour which I can feel even without looking at dials.

I could not get a chance to take the car for a long drive to check behavior or mileage. Any idea what is happening here? Did VW change anything in software to hide any impending failure? Is that even possible? The current warranty is expiring on 04 Nov and VW has categorically denied 7th year warranty especially now that I have an outside battery.
Old 22nd October 2021, 21:20   #6844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
3. Even though I explicitly checked about VW about touching the DSG software, which they denied, the car is holding onto gears longer in D mode. It would not upshift before 2000 rpm in lower 1-5 gears. There is a definitive chnage in upshift behaviour which I can feel even without looking at dials.
Does your gear go into D1 more frequently than it did (compared to prior to the check)? Also, in case of D2 and D3 does it hold up to 2.5 to 2.7K rpm while upshifting under semi-light throttle input?

If so, then they might have done an update (felt only in D mode).

My experience (on 2014 Dec Mfg Polo): I had a complaint of shuddering (sometime in 2017, harsh and almost to and fro motion sometimes) under downshift from D3 to D2 under normal coasting. Went to service centre. SA guys told they have to reconfigure/remap the software w.r.t. what came from factory stock. Explicitly told! I said ok.

After update: The downshift shuddering went away but sometimes the downshift is aggressive on D3 to D2 is kinda having a head nod but expected behaviour as to what I hear from different forums. However, the engine holds on to lower gears up to 2.5- 3K RPM sometimes on uneven road while accelerating from, say, 5 kph and also on such undulated roads, it downshifts to D1 while earlier it used to tackle under D2.

However, no issues since then, till now... touch wood.

If your experience is the same, then it could be a case of software update.

Side Note: If I'm not mistaken, it was during the time near 2016/2017 when a lot of DSG software mechatronics errors were doing rounds in news (internationally) and VW did an update (software) to the same ..could be..
KapilD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 19:30   #6845
BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT for 7L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy42 View Post
Hi fellow BHPians,

I'm looking for a good used car for around 7-8 Lacs. This will be my first car.

I had come across a second hand VW Polo GT for ~7L and was wondering if this is a good deal.
It’s a good deal for the seller and way too overpriced for you. This vehicle won’t fetch even 3 lakhs in Delhi NCR. Car prices are higher down South but anything more than 4 to 5 lakhs is too much. Otherwise Volkswagen cars are great.
Old 28th October 2021, 11:48   #6846
BHPian

I test drove a VW GT 1.2 yesterday. The car itself felt tight and did not notice any judder while crawling/creeping.

There was an error coming on the screen (attached) with the ignition was on (engine off position), but it was going away on starting the car. Also EPC started appearing with key on (engine off) position. What could this be?
Attached Images

Old 28th October 2021, 19:47   #6847
BHPian

Quote:
Hi fellow BHPians,

I had come across a second hand VW Polo GT for ~7L and was wondering if this is a good deal.

Details about the car:
  • It is a 2016 Red VW Polo GT TSI
  • Has run around 50k KMs
  • Has minor scratches on the rear quarter and pillion side door
  • Supposedly has good service record and no records of any major accidents
  • No extended warranty was purchased and hence currently out of warranty
  • test driven by my friend but not very extensively and he says it is good. I have yet to take a test drive

What I'm looking for:
  • I have driven various cars but never a VW, and in general I liked the way some of the cars handle
  • I would like to have a good and fun to drive car, can go nice and slow without NVH when enjoying the views and also provide a burst of acceleration when needed
  • Should be well equipped in-terms of safety, at least a 4-star rated one
  • Back seat should be comfortable for 2 ~4 hr rides, and should be able to seat 3
  • Enough Boot for accommodating a 3-4 day trip for all
  • Should have functional features as close to Hyundai's as possible - Android Auto, Electronic ORVMs, Day-Night IRVM (manual/automatic), steering controls
  • My general preference include Honda City or a Skoda Rapid or a good SUV (but currently definitely out of budget). But Polo GT was something I wanted to own, especially in Red

Our current plan for car is to buy a used car now, which we can used for 2-3 years and then go for a new car. The current lack for good offerings (or waiting for the new offerings to mature) is the reason for this plan. We initially had thought of waiting till March'22 and buy a first hand Honda City, but changed that after rumors of a new Hybrid City and also after looking at the latest new releases with ADAS, which I'm expecting to become standard slowly in a couple of years.

Request your help regarding this decision. Please feel free to suggest any other options or a better plan for my driving journey. Thanks in advance.

Hey @crazy42,

If you're open to open to crossovers do checkout this neat S-cross 1.6 DDIS,
It sure wont let you down as far as the "fun" element of driving is concerned.
Moreover its a better all-rounder than the Polo TSI as far as practicality, fuel efficiency and maintenance is concerned. Just a suggestion, hope it helps you

https://www.olx.in/en/item/maruti-su...iid-1647642427

Cheers
Cliff
Old 29th October 2021, 12:52   #6848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I test drove a VW GT 1.2 yesterday. The car itself felt tight and did not notice any judder while crawling/creeping.

There was an error coming on the screen (attached) with the ignition was on (engine off position), but it was going away on starting the car. Also EPC started appearing with key on (engine off) position. What could this be?
If my assessment is right, the error is because you haven't started the engine but put the car in Neutral (N). It will go away the moment you start the engine.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 13:02   #6849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I'm looking for:
  • I have driven various cars but never a VW, and in general I liked the way some of the cars handle
  • I would like to have a good and fun to drive car, can go nice and slow without NVH when enjoying the views and also provide a burst of acceleration when needed
  • Should be well equipped in-terms of safety, at least a 4-star rated one
  • Back seat should be comfortable for 2 ~4 hr rides, and should be able to seat 3
  • Enough Boot for accommodating a 3-4 day trip for all
  • Should have functional features as close to Hyundai's as possible - Android Auto, Electronic ORVMs, Day-Night IRVM (manual/automatic), steering controls
  • My general preference include Honda City or a Skoda Rapid or a good SUV (but currently definitely out of budget). But Polo GT was something I wanted to own, especially in Red
The above two bullets in bold are the reason why Polo GT is not your car. Its a hatch meant for 2 people with the rear seat meant for shopping bags or kids. Putting two people in the rear itself is a stretch, so forget the third.
The boot is a stretch too. The best way to use the boot is by folding down the rear backrest. So you can either have 2 options:
  1. 2 people + Luggage for a 3-4 day trip. Or
  2. 4 People + 2-3 duffel bags at the most.
The reasons people buy the GT TSI are:
  • 1.2L TSI engine
  • Hoot to drive along with solid built
  • Automatic
And the list doesn't include spaciousness or top of the line accessory list. As a matter of fact, VW has been scrimping on the accessory list for a while so its not VFM either.

Hence please be very clear if the desire for Red GT TSI beats the desire to have a sensible family car.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 16:29   #6850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The above two bullets in bold are the reason why Polo GT is not your car. Its a hatch meant for 2 people with the rear seat meant for shopping bags or kids.
One person can sit comfortably behind the passenger, who can move forward to facilitate them, but, unless the driver has very short legs, the rear seat on that side is very limited.

I'm the last person to put people off the Polo, but I'm also the last person to want them to buy and then be dissatisfied. MileCruncher is exactly right.

A Golf might have suited crazy42. But he probably doesn't want to emigrate for a VW car! The Golf is a family hatchback, the Polo is a family second car, or car for the single or young couple.

(Or older couple, of course, like my wife and I, who do not have to ferry children or even-olders)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 02:59   #6851
BHPian

Hey all, I am looking at upgrading the bulbs in my headlights, for which I was hoping for some suggestions and guidance.

Considering the GT comes with regular reflector based headlights and I don't plan to changing to a projector set anytime soon, which brand and model of bulbs work best in terms of performance? I am leaning more towards the 4000K-6000K (kelvin) range for the low beams, high beams and fogs lamps.

I am aware of the issues a higher kelvin fog lamps may bring up with regards to visibility during heavy rain/fog, I would appreciate suggestions for a good set of yellow and white colored bulbs.

Thanks!
Old 31st October 2021, 09:33   #6852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi fellow BHPians,

Request your help regarding this decision. Please feel free to suggest any other options or a better plan for my driving journey. Thanks in advance.
One option is to look for a pre-owned Vento TSI. From your requirements, you get most of what you need + the additional benefits of a more comfortable rear and a very large boot space. You will probably get it at the same prices too.

Quote:

The error is something to be looked at. That is not normal. EPC light in ignition on- engine off position is normal. Has always been the same for me. It should go away once the vehicle is started
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 10:10   #6853
BHPian

Quote:
I am leaning more towards the 4000K-6000K (kelvin) range for the low beams, high beams and fogs lamps.
I have been using Philips Xtreme Vision since long time. They are much brighter than the normal stock bulbs and you don't need any mod to install them, just replace the stock bulbs. The current bulbs I got are 3100k, I find the visibility very nice. Though you can find them in different kelvins as per your preference.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 01:07   #6854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I have been using Philips Xtreme Vision since long time. They are much brighter than the normal stock bulbs and you don't need any mod to install them, just replace the stock bulbs. The current bulbs I got are 3100k, I find the visibility very nice. Though you can find them in different kelvins as per your preference.
Thanks a lot. Do you have any specific model in mind? I'm not too familiar when it comes to headlight bulbs.

Also, I'm not sure if it's just me and maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but when I turn on the AC while the car is running, I can feel a significant increase in vibration from the engine, as well as the engine noise levels, is this normal? I feel like the compressor is taking a bit more out of the engine than it should, or is it just me?
Old 1st November 2021, 10:08   #6855
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. Do you have any specific model in mind? I'm not too familiar when it comes to headlight bulbs.
If your car has old single bulb headlight then its H4, same as Swift and many other cars. If its double barrel headlight with separate high and low beam bulbs then I am not sure about the exact model. Either you can ask at the service station or you can check the spare bulb kit came with your car. Some service stations also sell the Philips Xtreme vision or Osram Nightbreaker, its better to get the bulb from them to avoid the risk of duplicates. I usually buy from Maruti ASS.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure if it's just me and maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but when I turn on the AC while the car is running, I can feel a significant increase in vibration from the engine, as well as the engine noise levels, is this normal? I feel like the compressor is taking a bit more out of the engine than it should, or is it just me?
Its normal if its since the beginning unless the noise and vibration has changed drastically later.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks