Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2018, 14:14   #5341
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspatil View Post
Quick update on this issue.
I took the car to the service center on Sat. I met the service head who was very helpful. He said the abnormal sound does point to a bad clutch and said it would be need to be replaced.
I experienced a similar problem with my car. The failure is on one of the clutches and shows itself in slightly extreme conditions - heat, bumper to bumper traffic or an upward incline, basically anything that puts stress on the clutch. Link to a couple of posts that may help you out

Link 1
Link 2

As for my car, VW agreed to replace it fully under extended warranty and I was not asked to pay anything. IIRC, the bill amount was close to 70k. I have also heard cases where VW have been kind enough to rectify this issue even if the car wasn't under warranty. It is good that you were able to catch this early and point out (unlucky in the first place to get it, I know). It should take anywhere between 1-2 weeks to get it sorted.

Hope this helps.
Old 2nd July 2018, 14:46   #5342
BHPian

During initial ownership of my TSI (for the purpose of this thread, does it matter whether it is Polo or Vento?) on standstill with engine running and gear on D mode, foot on brake pedal, there would be slight shudder on the pedal as if engine is trying to pull. On releasing brake pedal the car would pull away.

Now at close to 40k km, if I stop the car while on D mode and release the brake pedal, the car remains still. It is very convenient in crawling traffic, it saves the need for frequent tapping on brake pedal to engage gear from neutral. If while crawling I press brake to slow down but release before it comes to complete stop, it will continue crawling.

I find it quite convenient. Has anyone else experienced similar behaviour?
Old 2nd July 2018, 22:35   #5343
BHPian

Been using my new Polo GT TSi for the last week and have noticed something funny about the headunit. Whenever i'm connected via Apple CarPlay, If i lower the volume via steering or volume knob, the sound completely stops. Song moves forward but no audio. The only solution is to hit the power button twice to get it working again. Any one else facing this issue?
Old 2nd July 2018, 23:50   #5344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya9567 View Post
I experienced a similar problem with my car. The failure is on one of the clutches and shows itself in slightly extreme conditions - heat, bumper to bumper traffic or an upward incline, basically anything that puts stress on the clutch. Link to a couple of posts that may help you out

Link 1
Link 2

As for my car, VW agreed to replace it fully under extended warranty and I was not asked to pay anything. IIRC, the bill amount was close to 70k. I have also heard cases where VW have been kind enough to rectify this issue even if the car wasn't under warranty. It is good that you were able to catch this early and point out (unlucky in the first place to get it, I know). It should take anywhere between 1-2 weeks to get it sorted.

Hope this helps.
Aditya, thanks for chiming in and confirming that the issue I am having is the same you had with your car. Also thanks for the links - I had already read your posts about it. I was curious about the document you had mentioned in your old post "At this point, we furnished the document shared by sidparekh which clearly showed that the part replacement was covered under warranty.". Could you kindly share it if you still have it on you? I don't know if I'll need to use it - just in case. My only concern at this point is that they won't be able to reproduce the issue and will return the car as-is. In case that happens then I'll have a good excuse for a holiday far away

The service head did mention that they have in some cases replaced the clutch on a goodwill basis for cars that are out of warranty. What I am interested to know about is regarding the the replacement clutch - he stated that the replacement is an upgraded version which shouldn't fail prematurely. Do you have any information about this? If this is true then newer cars should already have this new clutch, and so that's one potential failure off the table for people considering the TSI. And lesser worry for us who have the upgrade as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
The GT TSI in India is 1.2L. in that case shouldn't this be made for the car in India? Why would it not have an issue for a car for other countries?
Yes, that's what he said. The discussion I was having with him was why aren't other cars (outside India/other brands) with the DQ200 trans reporting such clutch failures. To this he mentioned that the clutch is specific to Indian variant of Polo (1.2L) so the defect could be only with the clutch designed/manufactured for India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Further, driving in thick traffic with a lot of stops and starts would hurt the clutch more than if driven on the highway or even in the sports mode. From what I know of my car, it loves to be taken on the highway.

You may also want to shift to Neutral / Park at traffic lights to prevent the clutch from wearing out.
I agree. I sometimes forget to shift to N at traffic stops. I am sure I'll be more careful from now on! However the video says this shouldn't be necessary since the drive shaft should disengage from the engine when the breaks are applied. Anyway better to be safe and just make a habit of shifting to N at stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mind View Post
This is scary,as you said after paying such a premium price for a hatchback encountering this kind of issue doesn't leave a good taste in mouth. Hope things get better soon!
At the end, I would say the German cars are more complicated technically and there parts/labour are expensive.
Thanks. I agree the cars are too complicated for some of the technicians to comprehend. Especially so of some parts like the DSG, ABS, ESP, etc. Essentially things not found on a Maruti 800

Last edited by SDP : 3rd July 2018 at 10:12. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please edit or multi-quote instead of back to back posts
Old 3rd July 2018, 15:49   #5345
BHPian

Quote:
Quick update on this issue.
I took the car to the service center on Sat. I met the service head who was very helpful. He said the abnormal sound does point to a bad clutch and said it would be need to be replaced. They said it'd take about a week and that the car has to be at the service center for the whole time. Apparently it's a very expensive fix (~ 1.2 Lakhs) so I am glad it showed up before the extended warranty expired. He said they have seen a few cases like this and so it's always prudent to go for the extended warranty.
I had the exact same issue with my Vento TSI and got the clutch replaced for free (still under warranty). Like you, the sound was only heard after about an 60-90 minutes of driving on a hot day. I believe this has something to do with the unit being a dry clutch.

Not sure how long the new clutch will last, but as a precaution I tend to shift into N whenever I am at a red light, instead of D, to ease the pressure on the clutch. I love the car, but I'm also keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote:
I agree. I sometimes forget to shift to N at traffic stops. I am sure I'll be more careful from now on! However the video here says this shouldn't be necessary since the drive shaft should disengage from the engine when the breaks are applied. Anyway better to be safe and just make a habit of shifting to N at stops.
I've read about all this as well, but after getting the clutch replaced, I've been extra careful to shift into N during traffic stops or red lights. While I was in Singapore last November, I noticed all the cab drivers shifting into N at red lights. Since their livelihoods depend on their cars, I'm assuming they probably know a thing or two more about extending the life of a clutch.

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd July 2018 at 17:12. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 3rd July 2018, 23:06   #5346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
While I was in Singapore last November, I noticed all the cab drivers shifting into N at red lights. Since their livelihoods depend on their cars, I'm assuming they probably know a thing or two more about extending the life of a clutch.
That's a good observation. Believe me I am going to do the same as well after I get back my car I have also told my wife to do the same as well - she drives an automatic A-star which has an AMT.
Old 3rd July 2018, 23:20   #5347
BHPian

It shouldn't take more than a week to replace the clutch. I got mine replaced in April, so it's way too soon to tell if the problem is sorted for good.

Fortunately, I have taken the 2 year extended warranty, so I have till November 2021 to see how the replacement clutch works out!

Last edited by Biohazard : 3rd July 2018 at 23:22. Reason: Better layout
Old 4th July 2018, 13:37   #5348
BHPian

Price check on a GT TSI

Hi. I have identified a secondhand GT TSI that I wish to purchase, and wanted to know the forum members' views on the asking price.
  • It is a 2015 (pre-facelift) model with ~35k on the odo.
  • Single owner.
  • Under extended warranty (2 + 2 years). I also plan to get the 5th year's warranty once it is available.
  • Comprehensive insurance (with zero depreciation add-on) renewed 3-4 months ago.
  • Annual servicing completed 3-4 months ago.
  • OEM tyres are at the end of their life, and will need replacement soon.
  • The car is in excellent condition with full service history.
  • I have taken a long test drive, and she is poetry in motion.

Negotiated price: Rs 7.25 lakhs.

Thanks in advance for your time.
TheLizardKing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 14:00   #5349
BHPian

Quote:
What I am interested to know about is regarding the the replacement clutch - he stated that the replacement is an upgraded version which shouldn't fail prematurely. Do you have any information about this? If this is true then newer cars should already have this new clutch, and so that's one potential failure off the table for people considering the TSI. And lesser worry for us who have the upgrade as well.
Hey, sanspatil.

I have a GT too. Checked this with my contacts at at the Pune service center and it seems like you've been conveyed something that's just not true.

The facelift GT has no mechanical changes except the 16" rims.

If possible, you may want to ask that person to provide the part number of the supposedly "upgraded" clutch pack, and also for the old one.

That should settle the status quo.

What is interesting though is if they are changing the clutch pack with a different part number for cars on which there have been failures. Now that should be interesting to know.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 14:31   #5350
BHPian

Re: Price check on a GT TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
[*]It is a 2015 (pre-facelift) model with ~35k on the odo.

Negotiated price: Rs 7.25 lakhs.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Looks like a good deal but why do you want to buy used. Put in a couple more and get a new one with full peace of mind.

I usually advocate used cars but with a significant difference in price. Here, if you go with new, you can easily get it financed.
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 14:45   #5351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[list][*]It is a 2015 (pre-facelift) model with ~35k on the odo.
IIRC facelift was out in 2014!
Old 4th July 2018, 14:54   #5352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Put in a couple more and get a new one with full peace of mind.
It will be more than a couple. A new GT TSI will cost me at least Rs 10.5 lakhs on-road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
You know how VW is with facelifts! The car I saw is missing stuff like electrically foldable mirrors, cruise control, auto-dimming IRVM, and the touchscreen HU.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 4th July 2018 at 14:56. Reason: Adding reply
Old 4th July 2018, 14:58   #5353
BHPian

Quote:
Could be old stock sold at discount in 2015. In that case 7.25 seems to be a little on higher side. It makes sense to buy a new one with just little more and with four years warranty as well.
Old 4th July 2018, 14:59   #5354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You know how VW is with facelifts! The car I saw is missing stuff like electrically foldable mirrors, cruise control, auto-dimming IRVM, and the touchscreen HU.
Oh those upgrades are not facelifts, technically speaking.

I meant the Polo's evolution from 6R to 6C

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-newvwpolofaceliftvsoldvwpolofrontthreequarters.jpg
Image credit : Indianautosblog
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 15:02   #5355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Could be old stock sold at discount in 2015.
The car was manufactured in March 2015. According to the owner, there have been two upgrades since then.

Quote:
Oh those upgrades are not facelifts, technically speaking.

I meant the Polo's evolution from 6R to 6C
My bad. The car being offered is a 6C.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 4th July 2018 at 15:07.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks