Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2018, 11:46   #5386
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

planning to order armrest from aliexpress. Which one of the following will fit our indian model?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-...719564443.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2011...814846182.html

Both seem to be same but I am not sure. I am not looking for the one with cup holder.
Old 19th July 2018, 18:03   #5387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
planning to order armrest from aliexpress. Which one of the following will fit our indian model?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-...719564443.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2011...814846182.html

Both seem to be same but I am not sure. I am not looking for the one with cup holder.

The armrest is available in VW service centres ( OEM ). Got one fitted here in Chandigarh about 4 months back. Cost me about 6K including labour charges.

Last edited by vkr15 : 19th July 2018 at 18:04. Reason: spelling mistake
vkr15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 18:41   #5388
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkr15 View Post
The armrest is available in VW service centres ( OEM ). Got one fitted here in Chandigarh about 4 months back. Cost me about 6K including labour charges.
Do share the part number if you've got an invoice. It will help others order the part from the nearest service center.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 21:43   #5389
BHPian

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20180719_200941.jpg

Gannu this was installed in Jan 18.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th July 2018 at 22:11. Reason: Removed duplicate image inserts. Thanks for the update!
vkr15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 23:21   #5390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
It turned out to be the multi-clutch after all. I took video of the time I heard the sound with the car speedo, VIN and the number plate also part of the playback and submitted it to the service in-charge. Service Centre folks submitted it further to VW and even though they themselves could not reproduce the sound the video helped in getting an approval for a replacement.

I wasn't charged anything given I had extended warranty. The clutch replacement took a week and now the car is running fine *knock on wood*.

No matter how much I love driving the car its issues like this and the one I had earlier, with vibrations while braking, that irritate me.
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I too got my car back with the dual clutch replaced. I did have to pay for petrol since the tank was almost empty when I dropped the car off. The warranty repairs cost came to about 90,000. I only hope this clutch lasts a long, long time
Old 23rd July 2018, 09:53   #5391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
No matter how much I love driving the car its issues like this and the one I had earlier, with vibrations while braking, that irritate me.
Can you please share some more information about the 'vibrations while braking" issue? Why was it happening and how you got it fixed? I'm facing this problem.
Old 23rd July 2018, 10:38   #5392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Can you please share some more information about the 'vibrations while braking" issue? Why was it happening and how you got it fixed? I'm facing this problem.
Had the same problem with both the Polo and the Vento after ~15-20k km. Brakes and steering were vibrating when braking from speeds >80 kph.

Needed to change the brake pads and discs in both cases. Cost ~INR 8k. In fact the Vento's brakes were changed this weekend.
mango_pal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 15:52   #5393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
Got the roof, hood and logos wrapped in Gloss Black and PPF on the bumpers and then coated with Hypershield from 3M Car Care. Notice the water beading on the car.
Congrats on the beauty. I just booked the Red TSi today and will probably be taking delivery in mid-August. Could you share the costing and breakup of the Roof Wrap, PPF and Hypershield. Also, have you added the backup camera? If yes, then tell me more.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 16:07   #5394
BHPian

My GT's reverse camera is now fully foggy/misty and the in car display hardly shows anything. Any way of cleaning it myself or does it have to be dismantled & re-installed?
Old 23rd July 2018, 23:21   #5395
BHPian

The inevitable DSG failure

Hi members. It's been a long time since my last update, though i did manage to browse through the posts in this thread whenever i got time. It has also been pretty event free from my side. Now forced to make this major update.

So, when the odo has just crossed 83,000 kms the inevitable happened. Was on a trip with family to kerala for the weekend from coimbatore and was moving through palakkad town at a leisurely pace. Suddenly felt the car slowing down and inspite of accelerator input, there was little change. Since i was prepared for this scenario right from the moment i signed the dotted line 4 1/2 years back in Nov'2013, immediatley looked at the MID to find the gear indicator in D1 and flashing. The dreaded, which i thought will somehow not happen to me, finally happened - DSG failure. ( This is because, as i have documented earlier, i had changed the DSG oil to mineral oil as a precaution as mine was the first batch of GT's and there was a confusion wheteher they came with synthetic or mineral oil. Since, VW ASS was also not sure, i changed the oil at my expense. May be that postponed the inevitabe ? Nobody will know !).

By this time, the cars tailing me also started to honk. So, switched on the hazard lamps and immediately asked by brother in law to get down and push the car to the side of the road. Once away from moving traffic, switched off the engine, re ignited and tried moving the car in D/S/M/R modes. Nothing happened except for revs climbing and the gear indicator flashing. Out went my illusion that DSG issues are sorted and wasted no time in calling the RSA to arrange for a flat bed as i knew it will be a waste of time to ask for nearby mechanics(My HDFC ergo policy had the RSA covered).

The lady on the other side in HDFC CC took down the details and told me some one will call me back. By this time, asked to get my dad's car from coimbatore so that rest of my family can continue as i waited for the flat bed to arrive. And the HDFC ordeal started for me. There was nothing from anyone for the next 45 mins and i lost patience and called up the HDFC CC again. Now another person spoke to me and gave me a rude shock that no complain has been registered in my name/car number. I was furious inside but just not the type that shows it. My words only reflected my frustration. But, i have to give it to the person on the other end this time, as he handled it professionally. He immediately apologized, wasted no time in asking where i was and during the same call, called up the towing agency in conference call and made me speak with him. So within ten minutes, a flat bed was on the way from coimbatore, as the nearest VW ASS was in coimabtore.

Meanwhile, my dad's car arrived in 1 1/2 hours and packed up everyone else, asking them to continue without me and waited for the flat bed. After nearly 3 1/2 hours of the incident, the flat bed arrived. Quickly got it up on the truck and hopped in for my journey towards Coimbatore. I was also in touch with Gannu, who was supportive while many things were running in my mind.

Reached the VW ASS late in the evening and dropped my car there. Since it was a sunday, only a junior person was there and he took all the details and told me someone will call in the morning with details. The towing service was professional and i was charged nothing for RSA as it was part of my insurance. As my whole family was already in kerala, i took a bus from coimbatore and reached there by monday morning. In all the time i spent with the car, it had to happen on my birthday weekend.

Today morning a SA was assigned to me and he called to get a detailed history of events. He then told me they will get in touch with me once they diagnosed the issue, which was pretty obvious to me at that point in time. Haven't heard from them yet and since im also out of town, didn't want to put too many things in mind.

Will be going back to coimbatore tomorrow and planning to visit the ASS to have a one to one chat. Also, since i've shifted base to Bangalore due to work till early next year, will have to be back in Bangalore on wednesday. Hoping i can sort things in the limited time i get tommorow and VW doesn't create a fuss on providing goodwill warranty on the DSG since this is a known issue ( My extended waranty expired in nov'17 and also i have a few mods, especially the GTI steering wheel with paddles). Hoping they don't make me hate this car / gearbox combo with this experience as i would really love to have my next car to be a DSG as well, inspite of all the reliability issues.

Will keep the communnity updated on the happpenings.

Safe driving,
Pudhi
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_20180722_180706.jpg  

Last edited by drpudhi : 23rd July 2018 at 23:26.
drpudhi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 13:32   #5396
BHPian

Update:

So, after nearly a week, the issue is 'diagnosed' to be a mechatronics failure, as expected. And as expected, they are washing off their hands stating the car is out of extended warranty and I have a GTI wheel with paddles. So, am trying to pull a few strings in VW with the help of friends. It will be immensely helpful if members could chip in their valuable advise. Especially, members who have been in my situation before with DSG failure and who had the GTI wheel with paddles. Hoping against odds that something will turn up. Thanks.

Drive safe,
Drpudhi

Last edited by GTO : 5th August 2018 at 22:16. Reason: typo
Old 1st August 2018, 21:31   #5397
BHPian

I have the 2017 Polo GT. The 16" wheels have a really harsh ride. Is it possible to change the tyres to a thicker sidewall. I don't care about how the car ends up looking.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thank you.

Last edited by lionell : 1st August 2018 at 21:31. Reason: typo
Old 2nd August 2018, 01:20   #5398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
I have the 2017 Polo GT. The 16" wheels have a really harsh ride. Is it possible to change the tyres to a thicker sidewall. I don't care about how the car ends up looking.

Thank you.
Same here. I have a 2017 model with the 16 inchers. I maintain 30 Psi air pressure in all 4 wheels and the ride is much more acceptable. I tested with higher pressures as well as lower and 30 psi was the sweet spot. There is no mileage drop as well.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 05:42   #5399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post

Thank you.
Changing to a thicker sidewall on the same wheels will increase the tire circumference and will mess up the odometer and speedometer readings and maybe the ABS sensors as well.

If you need a plusher ride, you either have to run on lower pressure (like Traveler has mentioned), or change the wheels to 15". I would suggest to experiment with the tire pressure first.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 13:23   #5400
BHPian

Hi. I recently purchased a used 2015 make Polo GT TSI, and have a query about the S mode. In many reviews here, it says that the DSG redlines at every gear change in the S mode. However in my car, the DSG upshifts as soon as the engine reaches ~3000 RPM. Is this because of the previous owner's driving style? I've driven her for ~ 400 kms now, and the DSG seems to have learnt my driving style in the D mode. I haven't engaged the S mode a lot since I haven't done any highway runs. Is that the reason for the early upshifting?

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks