Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2018, 14:24   #5491
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
I have just moved base to Mumbai from Bangalore. Mumbaikar TSI owners, can you suggest a good dealer for servicing my GT TSI? I'm looking for VW service and not any 3rd party centre as my car is less than a year old. I live in Andheri, so a good ASS in the suburbs would be preferable, but don't mind traveling a bit for good service support.
Hi. Welcome to Mumbai. I live in Andheri too, and Automark in Andheri East was the best option till recently. I have always gotten very good service from them. Unfortunately they have sold it off to Autobahn, and the workshop is reopening at a new location near the Ram Mandir railway station in October.

The other options are Kurla (Autobahn), Borivali (Mody), Sewree (Shaman), Navi Mumbai (Autobahn). I had a horrible experience at Kurla recently, and have sworn never to give my car to Autobahn again. No experience with Mody and Shaman. Would be good to hear my fellow members' experiences.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 18th September 2018 at 14:40.
Old 18th September 2018, 15:31   #5492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
[*]The headlight throw seems ok but I want to change the bulb. What bulbs do I need to change? Both bulb sets or only 1 set.[/list]Thanks in advance.
Dont install HIDs or LEDs unless VW dealer is doing it for you. Else you may face warranty issues. I also find light throw below average but couple of dealers have told me it will void warranty if i install LEDs or HIDs. So may change bulbs to osram H7 laser vision.

Quote:
I have just moved base to Mumbai from Bangalore. Mumbaikar TSI owners, can you suggest a good dealer for servicing my GT TSI? I'm looking for VW service and not any 3rd party centre as my car is less than a year old. I live in Andheri, so a good ASS in the suburbs would be preferable, but don't mind traveling a bit for good service support.
I also stay in Andheri. For 6 month check up my car went to mira road service centre since i purchased car from VW mumbai north and their service centre is in mira road. They picked and dropped off my car in a days time.
Second time i gave my car to the service centre in Andheri East (Jeep service centre is also in the same premises) for rat bite related issue.
Both are OK. Mira road staff seemed more polite than the andheri staff. But I am used to this typical VW/skoda behaviour.
Old 19th September 2018, 13:25   #5493
BHPian

Hello all, my first year service reminder is showing up counting down with days and KMS. While the days remaining is correct, the KMs remaining shows as 800. My current ODO reading is 11600. My understanding was that 15k KMs was first service.
Does this get calibrated for each car during previous service? It appears that 12500 is what is being considered as my first year limit.
Old 19th September 2018, 13:31   #5494
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Hello all, my first year service reminder is showing up counting down with days and KMS. While the days remaining is correct, the KMs remaining shows as 800. My current ODO reading is 11600. My understanding was that 15k KMs was first service.
Does this get calibrated for each car during previous service? It appears that 12500 is what is being considered as my first year limit.
Did you get the 6 months check up done and did you get it done around 5K on the odometer? If yes, they would have reset the service reminder at that time with 7500km and that may be the reason.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 14:44   #5495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Automark in Andheri East was the best option till recently. I have always gotten very good service from them. Unfortunately they have sold it off to Autobahn, and the workshop is reopening at a new location near the Ram Mandir railway station in October.

The other options are Kurla (Autobahn), Borivali (Mody), Sewree (Shaman), Navi Mumbai (Autobahn). I had a horrible experience at Kurla recently, and have sworn never to give my car to Autobahn again. No experience with Mody and Shaman. Would be good to hear my fellow members' experiences.
i have had a very good experience with Automark in Andheri East. I was planning to give my car at Kurla - Autobahn for the next service due in January 2019. Thanks to the above post I am now contemplating whether to give the car at the workshop soon opening near Ram Mandir railway station or if fellow Mumbai bhpians can shed light and share their experiences too on authorised workshops they have dealt with.

i live in Malad but dont mind sending my car to Navi Mumbai or any place in Mumbai for a better service support and most importanty "PEACE OF MIND".
Old 19th September 2018, 17:26   #5496
BHPian

Has anyone tried octane boosters in their GT TSI? At my place I don't get 95 RON fuel. So I was just wondering if octane boosters can be used as an alternate.
Old 20th September 2018, 12:18   #5497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
Has anyone tried octane boosters in their GT TSI? At my place I don't get 95 RON fuel. So I was just wondering if octane boosters can be used as an alternate.
I'd stay with regular 91 octane fuel as there's no 'knocking' or irregular ignition. I'll add boosters if I get lower than 91 octane fuel.

The stock road use cars don't need higher octane or boosters IMO but if I get 93 or more fuel I'd fill with that just to experiment some fun but i doubt if road use cars can actually make good use of high octane fuel. And still no boosters/unknown chemicals though.
Old 20th September 2018, 18:03   #5498
BHPian

VW recommends minimum 95 RON fuel for GT TSI. Hence the question. I would like to know if anyone has tried octane boosters with GT TSI, and what are the results as regards to performance and efficiency.
Old 20th September 2018, 18:20   #5499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
VW recommends minimum 95 RON fuel for GT TSI. Hence the question. I would like to know if anyone has tried octane boosters with GT TSI, and what are the results as regards to performance and efficiency.
Fuel cap says 91 or 95. The manual says that recommended is 95 to get the engine to perform true to its potential. If 95 is not available, it can make do with 91 but with slight reduction in performance. What we are all experiencing with the out GT TSIs is that reduced performance. 95 or 97 makes the engine a bit smoother and torquier as per my experience, the effect of which is noticeable more on highway drives.

I am experimenting with STP octane booster in my GTI right now which carries the same recommendation on its fuel cap. The difference in performance between regular 91 octane and 97 octane is more pronounced in the GTI than the GT TSI. In Bangalore I try to fill up 97/99 octane as much as possible. Whenever I go out of town, I am now using STP octane booster with regular petrol. STP booster + Reliance petrol (single outlet) seems to work quite well and gives me about 80% of the kick of 97/99 octane petrol. It's all marginal difference only and could be just placebo effect. Fuel quality is what is really more important. One thing that is certainly not a placebo is how different the car feels on normal PSU petrol.
Old 20th September 2018, 20:17   #5500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Fuel cap says 91 or 95. The manual says that recommended is 95 to get the engine to perform true to its potential. If 95 is not available, it can make do with 91 but with slight reduction in performance. What we are all experiencing with the out GT TSIs is that reduced performance. 95 or 97 makes the engine a bit smoother and torquier as per my experience, the effect of which is noticeable more on highway drives.

I am experimenting with STP octane booster in my GTI right now which carries the same recommendation on its fuel cap. The difference in performance between regular 91 octane and 97 octane is more pronounced in the GTI than the GT TSI. In Bangalore I try to fill up 97/99 octane as much as possible. Whenever I go out of town, I am now using STP octane booster with regular petrol. STP booster + Reliance petrol (single outlet) seems to work quite well and gives me about 80% of the kick of 97/99 octane petrol. It's all marginal difference only and could be just placebo effect. Fuel quality is what is really more important. One thing that is certainly not a placebo is how different the car feels on normal PSU petrol.
Thanks for your reply. I read a few reviews which state that STP is not that good at increasing octane number. Have you ever tried Klotz?
Old 20th September 2018, 20:33   #5501
Distinguished - BHPian

When driving higher-octane-capable cars back in UK, I found that it gave sufficiently better mileage to be more economical, despite the higher price per unit.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 14:27   #5502
BHPian

Not sure if there's another thread for this... Frustrated with MRF ZVTV on the GT TSI.

When I took delivery of the car, I noticed that the rubber was MRF ZVTV 195/55 R16. On enquiring with the SA, was told that these were the only one's available and that they would have the Apollo alnacs later that month.
I didn't give much thought to it for the time being, as I was planning to upgrade to Michelin's soon.

However, 2 month of ownership and and a trip to Bangalore airport later made me regret my decision to delay the upgrade. I must have been cruising at around 60 kmph when suddenly in the dark of the night, a wild pothole appears. With no time to swerve away and no scope of hard braking (lorries trailing me), I let the tyres take the brunt of the pothole.

Just when I thought the worse is over, I feel me left tyre losing pressure and within seconds it was flat. Got the car to the side of the road to inspect the damage. Turns out the sidewall gave away. A tear on the outer sidewall of a 2 months old car tyre.

Seriously?? :what:

In the middle of the night, with no light apart from the phone torch, changed the tyres. I took the car to the dealer the next day to see if it would be covered under warranty (what was I thinking?).

This time too, I thought I'll stick to the MRFs for about 15k Kms before making the switch (Mistake... When will you learn?)

Cut to 2 more months later... On a trip from Bangalore to Mumbai. This time I was doing about 80ish when I hit a rock the size of one's fist on the same front left tyre. Same story repeated :banghead:

I am now fed up with MRF. How can the tyre not sustain a pothole and a small rock at slightly higher than expected speeds? Did anyone else face similar issues with ZVTV?

Also, what would be the best tyre for the GT? I have the factory fit 16in rims on mine. Any suggestions and experiences with upgraded rubber on 16s is highly appreciated.
Old 21st September 2018, 15:27   #5503
Senior - BHPian

Low profile tyres are prone to such damages. I doubt any other tyre would have sustained the impacts any better. Do check what tyre pressure you maintain, too low or too high pressure can also cause this. You are lucky that your alloys are okay. I have Goodyear on my GT and they seem to be okay till now. I maintain 30 PSI all around. In my opinion by changing the rim size to 16 inch and compensating with low profile tyres the ride quality too suffers. Don't know that they were thinking.
Old 21st September 2018, 15:48   #5504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if there's another thread for this... Frustrated with MRF ZVTV on the GT TSI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Low profile tyres are prone to such damages. I doubt any other tyre would have sustained the impacts any better. Do check what tyre pressure you maintain, too low or too high pressure can also cause this. You are lucky that your alloys are okay. I have Goodyear on my GT and they seem to be okay till now. I maintain 30 PSI all around. In my opinion by changing the rim size to 16 inch and compensating with low profile tyres the ride quality too suffers. Don't know that they were thinking.
I too have the same tyre and courtesy my travels this week, haven't been able to change the tyres.

I'm maintaining 34PSI on all fours!

Has anybody faced a similar issue on other brands?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th February 2019 at 00:56. Reason: Spacing and formatting
Old 21st September 2018, 15:56   #5505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Agreed... the ride quality is a bit stiffer on 16s with low profile.

As for the tyre pressure, I have tried different combinations for best ride and found 33 all around good enough for city and highway runs.
The recommended 36 front and 33 rear sends all undulations on the road directly to the cabin. I didn't find 30 all around that comfortable either. I'm sticking to 33 all around and that is what I was maintaining when both these incidents happened.

Would like to hear from members who have had experiences with other tyre brands on the factory fit 16s as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks