Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2018, 11:30   #5611
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
You need to reset it. Press the down switch, lower the window fully, keep the down switch pressed for a few seconds. Then press the up switch, raise the window fully yet keep the up switch pressed for a few seconds and you will be all set.
Up and down button of which window exactly?
Old 12th December 2018, 11:32   #5612
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Up and down button of which window exactly?
All the switches from the master window control at the driver side.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 23:44   #5613
BHPian

Friends, our gt tsi is about 200km old and I noticed that during the first run of the day or restart after sometime the gear shifts are slower e.g. shift happens at 2k rpm, the speed barely crosses 40kmph as it is usually neighbourhood run. Once the car has been running for sometime the shifts are much faster i.e at 1.2/1.5k rpm. During the initial period when shifts are happening at 2k, the car feels forced and not as smooth as in the later case when shifts are faster and more natural. We have been driving the car without any urgency and max speed has been 60kmph. Is this normal behaviour? Should I be going and having the service center look at it?
bhushan08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 03:47   #5614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post
Friends, our gt tsi is about 200km old and I noticed that during the first run of the day or restart after sometime the gear shifts are slower e.g. shift happens at 2k rpm, the speed barely crosses 40kmph as it is usually neighbourhood run. Once the car has been running for sometime the shifts are much faster i.e at 1.2/1.5k rpm. During the initial period when shifts are happening at 2k, the car feels forced and not as smooth as in the later case when shifts are faster and more natural. We have been driving the car without any urgency and max speed has been 60kmph. Is this normal behaviour? Should I be going and having the service center look at it?
My GT is a Jan 2016 model and ever since i bought it, ive always faced this issue. Never upshifts till 2K in the D mode, have tried the DSG reset several times, but thats just the way it is.

My only observation is that if the ambient temp is cool like its now in December and its evening or night, or if the temperature is a bit higher and you turn the ac off and only leave the blower on, the engine feels way smoother.

Of course D4 and higher its smooth. D2 and D3 is where the engine feels labored.

Again maybe its my perception... but adding my 2 cents
nova9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 12:25   #5615
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
My GT is a Jan 2016 model and ever since i bought it, ive always faced this issue. Never upshifts till 2K in the D mode, have tried the DSG reset several times, but thats just the way it is.
I have a March 2015 GT TSI.

To me this is how it works consistently in D mode on flat ground:
D1 - D2: As soon as the car moves - Perfect shift
D2 - D3: Crossing 2000rpm mark - Drags
D3 - D4: Crossing 2000rpm mark - Drags
D4+ : 1400-1500rpm - Perfect shift

In Manual mode:
1 - 2: 1750rpm - drags
2 - 3: 1600rpm (approx)
3 - 4: 1200-1300rpm
4+ : any rpm even 1100rpm

That is why the DSG has a bad name for low speed driving, in D it drags the 2nd and 3rd beyond need which causes excessive engine braking as soon as you release accelerator. While in manual mode, it drags the 1st way beyond needed, almost causing the car to be jerky.

Just to work around that, I shift to D in extremely slow traffic, M when driving between 2-3 gear. It is extremely sad that 1-2 the way it can happen in D doesn't happen in M and 2-3 the way it can happen in M doesn't happen in D and it just drags. This is my single grudge with this car, at low traffic speeds its messy to drive. And its all a software based configuration, nothing else.

In the morning when cold, the D shifts at 5-10% higher rpm
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 13:58   #5616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Just to work around that, I shift to D in extremely slow traffic, M when driving between 2-3 gear. It is extremely sad that 1-2 the way it can happen in D doesn't happen in M and 2-3 the way it can happen in M doesn't happen in D and it just drags. This is my single grudge with this car, at low traffic speeds its messy to drive. And its all a software based configuration, nothing else.

In the morning when cold, the D shifts at 5-10% higher rpm
I don't seem to have a problem even in heavy traffic. I find that taking a relaxed approach is better as the car is smoother and as an added benefit, you get stressed less. Else go for S mode, slightly jerky but the car does what you need it to.

The cold gear changes really grind my gears. I absolutely hate it. I like to baby the car when it is cold and this does not allow for it.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 09:49   #5617
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
I don't seem to have a problem even in heavy traffic. I find that taking a relaxed approach is better as the car is smoother ......
Does your car change from D2 to D3 before 2k rpm? If so, can you post a video of that, just to see exactly when does it up-shift and maybe on the next service, I would discuss with VW what causes these differences.

BTW, my DSG is touching 55k kms, so far so good, but its shifts are sometimes more prominently heard compared to when it was new.
Old 14th December 2018, 11:34   #5618
BHPian

Quote:
Does your car change from D2 to D3 before 2k rpm? If so, can you post a video of that, just to see exactly when does it up-shift and maybe on the next service, I would discuss with VW what causes these differences.

BTW, my DSG is touching 55k kms, so far so good, but its shifts are sometimes more prominently heard compared to when it was new.
Yes pls. Do share if the shifts are actually happening before 2K.

One point to add from what's happening in my case - the shift behaviour is unpredictable. In one instance, on same stretch of road, the car was in D5 at ~40-45kmph! This was after the car has been running for 30+ min and had been pushed to speeds of 60 at D6. At that moment it was butter smooth.

The unpredictable nature is very annoying. esp when the car does give an exceptionally smooth ride at other times.
Old 14th December 2018, 14:08   #5619
BHPian

Hi. Can anyone let me know if these mirrors fit the GT TSI? Mine is a 2015 make.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Anti...665981687.html
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-autodimming_orvm_mirrors_aliexpress.jpg  

Old 14th December 2018, 14:25   #5620
BHPian

Quote:

Hi,
I've driven about 30 km in heavy traffic today and did a bit of experimenting with driving styles to see what induces a jerk and what doesn't.
Note: I have the latest DSG software version. I got it updated in last week of October.

D2 shifts at 2K, but if you leave the accelerator at about 1800 rpm, it does go into 3rd gear. But even with 1/5th throttle, the car shifts only at 2K rpm from D2 to D3.

As per my understanding, the primary reason why D2 is so jerky is the engine braking effect.
In D2, when you need to slow down (without needing to brake), I find that if you lift your foot gradually (as opposed to immediately), the engine braking jerk is minimised, and you won't experience the jerk. I have subconsciously discovered this as it is my natural style, but I tried leaving the throttle in various methods before realising that lifting immediately causes the biggest jerk.
The jerk is far more apparent when there is a need to break. If you are quick on to the breaks (speed, not pressure on the brakes), then your breaking is in conjunction with the engine breaking/D2 jerk, therefore reducing the unpleasantness. I break using my left foot, so my time between leaving the accelerator and getting onto the break is very short.

However, all this applies only at the lower end of the RPM spectrum. At higher RPM, no matter how fast you get onto the brakes, there will be a jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post

One point to add from what's happening in my case - the shift behaviour is unpredictable. In one instance, on same stretch of road, the car was in D5 at ~40-45kmph! This was after the car has been running for 30+ min and had been pushed to speeds of 60 at D6. At that moment it was butter smooth.

The unpredictable nature is very annoying. esp when the car does give an exceptionally smooth ride at other times.
If the shift behaviour is unpredictable, you need to clear the logic. I used to have to do this even on my Skoda once in a while (non-DSG).

Steps:
  1. Put the ignition ON (without starting car)
  2. Press the accelerator fully (engaging the kick down switch) for 20 seconds
  3. Start the car. (Note, don't switch the car to off, you need to start it from the ON position)
Old 14th December 2018, 15:35   #5621
BHPian

I have realized that the GT TSI will reward you if you treat her more like a musical instrument than a machine. The pedals need to be caressed not mashed (unless you are in S mode, of course).

Like others have mentioned, the D mode works best with gradual pedal inputs. If you hurry her in the D mode, she will get annoyed. It is binary: gradual or kick-down. Any input between these two extremes will cause jerkiness.

The only shift I have not been able to master is the downshift from D2 to D1. The most horrible jerk is when I press the throttle at the exact same time as when the DSG is downshifting from D2 to D1. This often happens when I slow down for speed bumps and potholes. There is of course no way for me to be prepared for this situation because of the unpredictability factor.

My other learning so far:
  • Because the GT TSI uses brake-by-wire technology, the pedal doesn't give you any sort of response. So most of us end up pressing it harder than we need to. It was a huge problem for me coming from my Polo 1.2, but I have learnt with time to trust the brakes and not press too hard.
  • I am also not a big fan of the time it takes for the upshift from D1 to D2. With trial and error, I have discovered that if you absolutely feather the throttle in D1, the DSG will upshift to D2 even at 1000-1100 RPM. But that window is exceedingly small, and once you have crossed it the upshift to D2 will only happen at 2k.

Hope this helps.

PS: The responsiveness of the car and overall driving pleasure has vastly improved since I got the Superchips Stage 1 remap.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 18:13   #5622
BHPian

Quote:
I had the same one in my 2006 Octavia and the only thing that went wrong was the locking mechanism of the lid (due to mishandling). I got a replacement lid from AliExpress for 900 bucks which was good for the 5 years I had the car (and must still be OK).
I have the same problem with the armrest lid in my Vento and I tried looking for compatible lids on Aliexpress, but all the lids I found have 31cm length and 12cm width, whereas the one on my car has 25cm length and 12cm width. Can you share the product which you purchased for your car. My car's armrest has not worn out at all, it is just the locking mechanism which has broken.

Thank you
Old 14th December 2018, 23:15   #5623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
I have the same problem with the armrest lid in my Vento and I tried looking for compatible lids on Aliexpress, but all the lids I found have 31cm length and 12cm width, whereas the one on my car has 25cm length and 12cm width. Can you share the product which you purchased for your car. My car's armrest has not worn out at all, it is just the locking mechanism which has broken.

Thank you
I think you may be measuring wrong. I'll check the length on the armrest and get back to you.
However, if only the lock is the problem, just get the lock!

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ciRTnQPm

EDIT: I had to replace the entire lid because the rest of it was damaged too, but I've just stumbled across this option, and it seems to be the easy way out.

Last edited by Viraat13 : 14th December 2018 at 23:17.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2018, 00:33   #5624
BHPian

Quote:
I think you may be measuring wrong. I'll check the length on the armrest and get back to you.
However, if only the lock is the problem, just get the lock!

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ciRTnQPm

EDIT: I had to replace the entire lid because the rest of it was damaged too, but I've just stumbled across this option, and it seems to be the easy way out.
Wow, this should solve my problem, I had no idea about the lock being available separately, and it is dirt cheap
I have ordered this, since it had more orders and is available in beige colour.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/fGYO6Yu

I will update here once I fix it upon receiving.
Thanks alot
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 08:18   #5625
BHPian

Friends, While driving with windows down, I've had been hearing sound like of 'gas leak' from front shocks when passing over speed breakers for instance; first when the tire touches the hump on approach and then when it hits back the road. No such sound on my friend's Vento though.

While there's no performance impact i.e. damping is good, no squeaking sound nor poor braking, it's a worry to my OCD brain. What could it be and further pointers please?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks