Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2023, 17:58   #7111
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Our 2016 GT TSI just completed 100,000kms in 7 years!
Congratulations! So nice to hear a tale of one lakh kms, one gearbox. Especially with this car being used for city commuting as well as its long-distance accomplishments.

Wishing you many more years/km
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 13:38   #7112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Attachment 2469646

Our 2016 GT TSI just completed 100,000kms in 7 years!

The car has been very reliable over these 7 years. It’s still running the stock DQ200 gearbox!
Second TSI to do so
My 2013 GT completed on 5 Jan!! Currently at 1.07 l kms
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 16:23   #7113
BHPian

Awesome.

My 2016 Ameo TDI DSG has completed 1.1 lac kms on the stock gearbox, i recently got the clutch and flywheel changed as i felt the gears slipping sometimes. Mechatronics unit was not replaced.

Apart from this, the car has only done routine services and items like brake and suspension components changed at the service center. My steering rack was also changed due to clicking noise, but that i attribute to my 215/45R17 setup.

So difficult to find a replacement for these cars in the current market!
satya180 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 19:41   #7114
BHPian

It is an occasion to celebrate when you cover 1 lakh plus kms on a single DSG , that too the DQ200! Hoping this will prove to be as trouble free over the next 1 lakh kms and gives other enthusiasts the confidence to own VAG's DSGs, I am one who has bit the bullet recently with the Octavia 2.0 TSI, I hope these experiences become a norm rather than an exception with VAG cars.
abaliga is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 13:23   #7115
zen
BHPian

At eight and a half years into ownership and 60k on the odo, this car is still a dream to drive with that engine/gearbox combo still putting a smile on my face on every drive.

Started facing issues with my climatronic unit as well (similar but not same as post #7101) a couple of months ago. The unit goes off for a split second after being on for ~5 seconds and the cycle repeats over and over. Buttons etc all with fine. This happens regardless of the engine being on or not. The service center diagnosed this as a loose connection behind the unit when it first occurred and it worked fine for a month with the fix they put in.

It started occurring again and since I knew the diagnosis, I disconnected and reconnected the unit (just the black cable behind the unit was enough) and cleared the faults and voila the unit worked fine.. for a couple of days and then the same symptoms would reoccur.

Finally managed to take it to the service center again yesterday and the verdict is that the unit needs to be replaced (same ₹40k! estimate). Waiting for the part to be in stock before going ahead with the replacement since I don't see another option.

Also, checked about RSA renewal with the service center and they said it wasn't available since the vehicle is older than 8 years. Checked the VW India website later on which mentioned that RSA can be purchased up to the 10 year mark. Will check back with the service center about this.
zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 11:02   #7116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrisonMike View Post
I've almost set my sights on a set of Sachs shocks for my 2015 GT.
Can you please share where did you get these? And how to make sure these are genuine? Are these compatible with other Indian Polos also or only compatible with the GT variant?
Old 3rd July 2023, 13:00   #7117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Can you please share where did you get these? And how to make sure these are genuine? Are these compatible with other Indian Polos also or only compatible with the GT variant?
I bought fronts from German Cart and rears from Pole Position Performance. You can check them out on Instagram.

Anyone who comes highly recommended, or is associated with performance garages are generally trustworthy. I have had no issues with any of them.

As for compatibility is concerned, you can only use the specific model number of the strut which has specifically been made for the car. IIRC, the struts that I switched to are compatible with the Polo and the Audi A1.

The struts numbers for the Polo are:
Front Part no: 314 717
Rear Part no: 317 336

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th July 2023 at 11:59. Reason: Minor spacing
PrisonMike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 14:41   #7118
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I had purchased a Polo 1.2 MPI Manual to teach my daughter driving a year ago.

The story is here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...r-driving.html (How I ended up getting a pre-owned 10-year old VW Polo to teach my daughter driving)

My daughter has now Finished collage and will be joining a job in Bangalore in August.

We have sold off the Polo 2012 Manual and she is mad at me for that.

I bought a new Baleno Alpha AGS and she has driven it a few times.

She still misses the Polo and wants me to find her a used Polo GT to take to Bangalore as she doesn't want to drive the new Baleno in Bangalore Traffic.

So we are back to square one. If anybody is selling a Polo GT here or knows of a good Polo GT for same in Delhi or Bangalore, please message me.

Thanks
Styler

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th July 2023 at 12:38. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 9th July 2023, 01:01   #7119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi Guys,

I had purchased a Polo 1.2 MPI Manual to teach my daughter driving a year ago. The story is here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...r-driving.html (How I ended up getting a pre-owned 10-year old VW Polo to teach my daughter driving)

My daughter has now Finished collage and will be joining a job in Bangalore in August.
We have sold off the Polo 2012 Manual and she is mad at me for that.
I bought a new Baleno Alpha AGS and she has driven it a few times.

She still misses the Polo and wants me to find her a used Polo GT to take to Bangalore as she doesn't want to drive the new Baleno in Bangalore Traffic.
So we are back to square one. If anybody is selling a Polo GT here or knows of a good Polo GT for same in Delhi or Bangalore, please message me.

Thanks
Styler
There's one available on spinny in Delhi and Banglore both, moreover there are many examples on olx, try to look for models launched after 2020 and later as they came with the newer 1.0 tsi engine and torque converter gearbox which is reliable as compared to the DSG, although people have covered 1 lakh kms plus on the 1.2 TSI + DSG combo too. 2020 and later models would be under warranty and the warranty could be extended too for extra peace of mind. Something which you can look into.

I think it would be cheaper to purchase it in Delhi as the road tax is less compared to Banglore and used car prices are eye watering in Banglore, from what I have read here on our forum.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 10:03   #7120
BHPian

I have a small update to share:
My 2018 GT TSI has done 63000 on ODO and running on petes remap since ODO was 16000 km. Since then i had an itch to upgrade to Bilstein B6, which finally came true in 2023. I got a quote of around 90K from some importers in Mumbai and over 100000 from Petes, it was out of stock and would take 3-4 weeks to arrive. Contacted Ross from TDC automotive and paid 525 GBP including shipping last Tuesday. He dispatched on Thursday and Fedex delivered yesterday. I paid 15K INR as customs duty. Immediately went to get them installed. It is comparatively expensive due to higher exchange rates and paypal fees. Gone are the days when we used to get these under 50K.

I also changed Mounts and bearing. Lower arms and links were ok. I was surprised to not see any rebound on stock dampers. Even though they were not leaking or anything, there was no rebound, especially front ones. That is a major safety hazard at high speeds in my opinion.

First impressions: Whatever is said on this forum about the performance of B6, is absolutely True. At slow speeds, the ride get bit busier in a nice way actually. The body movements have minimized drastically. Car is eager to take corner and feels very tight. For taking corners at speeds higher than 80 kmph, spring needs to be changed to a stiffer one.

Forget remap, forget all cosmetic mods or exhaust or even better tyres, GT deserves to be driven with such suspension setup. Save money on all that and invest in such good shockers. The stock ones are really lousy. I hope it runs the lifetime of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-b6.jpg  

Mission_PGPX is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 20:53   #7121
Senior - BHPian

I think I've read all the VW Polo GT TSI threads on TBHP and almost all of them involve some kind of mods.

I'm still on the lookout for one at a decent price and obviously if I find and buy it, I'd want to do some of the mods depending on budget. Below is the list of mods that have been done by various people:

- Wheel / Tyre upgrade: Most common being the 15" to 16" upgrade. A wide variety of wheels and tyres used.
- Suspension upgrade: Bilstein B6 / Sachs / KW / Cobra
- Brake upgrade: GTI Stock / Brembo / Tarox
- Steering upgrade: GTI Steering / Regular VW Steering with Paddle shifters
- HU upgrade: OEM VW units / Android units
- VCDS Tweaks
- Headlamp / Tailamp upgrades: Various models from different VW models.
- Bumper upgrades.
- Armrest addition.
- Dome light upgrade: Jetta unit
- Damped Grab Handles.
- Rear Swaybar
- Bonnet gas struts
- Remap: Stage 1, Stage 2, TCU. Not sure if anyone has done a stage 3
- Exhaust upgrade: Down pipe, full exhaust, various end cans
- Auto headlamps upgrade
- Auto dimming IRVM
- Bootlamp
- Eurospec intake

It would be nice if people could post the various options for the above list, where to source the parts, who to get the work done from and the current cost. I know all the information is available in various threads but having it all collected in one place is helpful. Also prices, sources etc would have changed since the time people have posted in their respective threads.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th July 2023 at 21:17. Reason: Minor spacing for improved readability
pedrolourenco is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 22:28   #7122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Forget remap, forget all cosmetic mods or exhaust or even better tyres, GT deserves to be driven with such suspension setup. Save money on all that and invest in such good shockers. The stock ones are really lousy. I hope it runs the lifetime of the car.
Completely agree. After changing my stocks struts to the Euro spec Sachs, it literally felt like I was driving someone else's ₹20L car. The difference in handling is unreal. Yes, the ride does get firmer, and in my case, a little too firm, but I might blame some of that to my old tires that may have hardened over the years. Change of direction is instant, with next to no body roll. The only 'roll' you may feel is your body being jerked around because of the lack of bolstering in the stock seats.

A must do upgrade for all Polo GT owners. Skip the cosmetics and tuning for a few months, that's my strong suggestion.
PrisonMike is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 10:01   #7123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I think I've read all the VW Polo GT TSI threads on TBHP and almost all of them involve some kind of mods.

It would be nice if people could post the various options for the above list, where to source the parts, who to get the work done from and the current cost. I know all the information is available in various threads but having it all collected in one place is helpful. Also prices, sources etc would have changed since the time people have posted in their respective threads.
A good initiative and i am sure people here can contribute, its just that GT has been in market since a Decade now, and most enthusiasts are done and dusted with it. However, below are my inputs based on my research and purchase

- Wheel / Tyre upgrade: Most common being the 15" to 16" upgrade. A wide variety of wheels and tyres used.
Tyre Expense : R16 Michelin P4ST (if you can find) around 40K
Alloys: Depends on choice but relatively easily available
- Suspension upgrade: Bilstein B6 / Sachs / KW / Cobra
B6: Petes or TDC automotive at around 90K (could be cheaper if Rupee get stronger
- Steering upgrade: GTI Steering / Regular VW Steering with Paddle shifters
GTI steering : Around 70 K
- VCDS Tweaks Around 5K
- Armrest addition.
OE armrest in VW: around 7.5K
- Dome light upgrade: Passat unit around 7K
- Remap: Stage 1, Stage 2, TCU. Not sure if anyone has done a stage 3
Lot of options here: Petes, Code6, Revo Stage 1 cost around 30K
TVS TCU tune around 30K
Mission_PGPX is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 12:27   #7124
BHPian

Completed 40K km of delightful and hassle-free driving in my 2016 GT TSI. As has been shared by many owners, the engine/gearbox combo is quite something and after all these years, I still find myself looking for an excuse to take it out for a drive.

I see many owners here sharing their 80K and 1L experience. Look forward to enjoying this car for many years to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_7333.jpg  

vraned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 13:51   #7125
BHPian

The floods bring a snag in my Polo GT

Looking at the posts a few days ago of BHPians talking about their Polo GTs that have run 60k plus without issues was about to make me also write about my car. But as luck would have it the post here is about something different.

The himachal floods and landslides have been devastating. I came out of there just in time to avoid getting stuck. The collateral damage was my car. Near Ambala, the water level on road was just about the top half of the wheel. After crossing that area, I stopped for lunch and when i came back and started the car, i immediately noticed something.

The RPM was moving up and down, ever so slightly. I could sense its not normal. I checked below the car and there was a plastic wrapper that i removed and there was water coming out from below. In a few more minutes of standing the error messages started lighting up and the car started shuddering and the RPM kept going up and down quite badly.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20230712_174852.jpg

Turned off and on and the only the check engine light remained and the car stopped shuddering. But it was still misfiring. Called the VW service and they said its drivable but take it to the service centre.
I stopped by at Karnal to have it checked and they told me that the O2 sensor would need to be replaced and possibly even the ignition coil. The car was drivable to Noida so i thought i will have it checked there.

These were the issues that came out:
  • A short circuit had occurred that made certain components burn out
  • Replacement of Ignition coil
  • Replacement of Leads
  • Replacement of Spark Plugs
  • Replacement of Fuel Filter. Apparently it has never been changed in its 5 years. Surprising because i thought it was replaced every service.

Even after all this the car was still misfiring and RPM was fluctuating. Left the car there overnight for them to do the cylinder decompression. Lets now see by today evening what comes up.

My car is 5 years old and has done 60000 kms. This is the first and pretty much only fault that has come up. I hope it sorts out soon. So far the above parts have cost me Rs. 25000. The O2 sensor is another about Rs. 15000 if that needs to be replaced.

Fingers are crossed!
prashant316 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks