Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2019, 00:26   #5656
Senior - BHPian

Polo's hood isn't that heavy. Is this item really required. I can easily lift my Polo's hood and have never felt the need for a gas powered strut to do the lifting. Wondering if this is like to have v/s must have item.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 05:46   #5657
BANNED

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Polo's hood isn't that heavy. Is this item really required. I can easily lift my Polo's hood and have never felt the need for a gas powered strut to do the lifting. Wondering if this is like to have v/s must have item.
Even though the hood is not that heavy, it is a good to have feature as it eliminates the need to manually adjust the hood prop rod to keep the hood balanced at a height. The action requires one to hold the hood with one hand and adjust the rod with other at the same time. So definitely it is a nice to have feature as far as ‘convenience’ is concerned.

Last edited by pavi : 2nd January 2019 at 05:49.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 21:10   #5658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post

Front hood Engine cover supporting Hydraulic rod Strut spring shock Bars bracket for VW POLO MK5 2011-2017

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bdGs000P
Rs. 1,767.33

Looks like a DIY fit
Once you procure required parts it is indeed a simple DIY project. I myself been thinking of getting it done on my 2015 GT.
If you are thinking of DIY route, here is the well documented thread posted by a fellow member.
Old 3rd January 2019, 00:04   #5659
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it might be safer to have a strut. Bonnet-dropping accidents might not be common, but it is a risk that can be eliminated.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th February 2019 at 12:19. Reason: Minor formatting
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:53   #5660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
If you are thinking of DIY route, here is the well documented thread posted by a fellow member.
That 'fellow member' is Team BHP's in-house DIY guru (and also a moderator), and an inspiration for many of us. I have just ordered a gas strut from SGS Engineering UK. I will update this thread once I have installed it.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 11:36   #5661
BHPian

I wonder if polo gt has gotten new colour shades. I saw a new gt tsi with a blue shade(not the blue of the regular polo but a much more brighter and sportier shade) with grey coated alloy wheels. Looked really nice!
Old 4th January 2019, 12:11   #5662

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
I wonder if polo gt has gotten new colour shades. I saw a new gt tsi with a blue shade(not the blue of the regular polo but a much more brighter and sportier shade) with grey coated alloy wheels. Looked really nice!

I think those has been there since quite some time. Are you referring to the color below?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqpCWLqB...d=9mkz5a5f4h3g
TheRealStig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 12:13   #5663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Yes that is a new shade of blue which has come only on the petrol GT. There are pictures already on the forum on this thread (check post no 5608) . The new blue colour is however not listed on the website, which only shows white, red and grey as the available colours. A VW sales advisor had confirmed to me that the new colour would be shortly available.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 4th January 2019 at 12:19.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 16:51   #5664
BHPian

Installed the AUTO headlamp switch with in-built light sensor, bought on AliExpress. Had a good buying experience, and the seller was very responsive.

Was pleasantly surprised when he shared a PDF copy of the product manual with me. Though the English translation made it painful to read, I was amazed by the number of configuration options provided (e.g. a provision to turn the fog lights ON or OFF either manually or automatically). VFM mod, and adds that little bit of a 'luxury car' feel.
TheLizardKing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 22:01   #5665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Great mod d_himan!
I'll go ahead and order one too! Auto lights are really helpful
And if I remember correctly, you had upgraded to B6 long back. How has your experience been?
Sorry, just stumbled upon this since I wasn't quoted. Two years + with the B6, it's like wine, getting smoother and better with age.
d_himan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 16:08   #5666
BHPian

Hi folks

The reverse indicator on the gear console does not illuminate. VW center advise the whole console has to be replaced. Cost INR 22000/- approx. Any clue or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 5th January 2019, 20:11   #5667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishyvish View Post
The reverse indicator on the gear console does not illuminate. ... ... ... Cost INR 22000/- approx. Any clue or advice would be appreciated.
I hope this answer is not irritating, but I would say, live without it! You know when you are in reverse from the selector lever, right?

Your car's manual/diesel sibling (TDI) has a gear display, and also an arrow which "advises" to change up or down. I'd rate it as completely useless!

With an auto gearbox, I can see the point. But reverse is the one we are most likely to know we just selected.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 20:32   #5668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I hope this answer is not irritating, but I would say, live without it! You know when you are in reverse from the selector lever, right?

Your car's manual/diesel sibling (TDI) has a gear display, and also an arrow which "advises" to change up or down. I'd rate it as completely useless!

With an auto gearbox, I can see the point. But reverse is the one we are most likely to know we just selected.
I agree. On the automatic, one has to press the button on the gear shift to slot it in Park. Further, why even look at the gear position when driving? One would definitely know where the gear shift is positioned from the MID which has display of P, R, N, Dx and Sx on it.
Old 5th January 2019, 20:34   #5669
BHPian

Thanks mate. Regret, aye did not mention it's the TSI. No problem for me as am used to it, but my wifey could face issues. Thanks.
Old 6th January 2019, 08:57   #5670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishyvish View Post
Thanks mate. Regret, aye did not mention it's the TSI. No problem for me as am used to it, but my wifey could face issues. Thanks.
It's pretty simple for anyone. Just educate to look at the MID, if in doubt, and save the money.
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks