Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2018, 16:55   #5641
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
The only complaint I have is the brakes. VW should upgrade the brakes on this thing. The car flies but doesn't inspire a lot of confidence when stopping.
Yes, brakes are weak point of the GT TSI. With other modern cars the bite is very good even at the slightest thrust on the pedal when you are in a sudden braking condition. But for this car you really need to shove it very hard and they work OK after that to bring you to a dead halt. So when you need a sudden halt or deceleration, don't hesitate, apply full thrust and it works.

Last edited by penpavan : 25th December 2018 at 16:56.
Old 25th December 2018, 18:14   #5642
Senior - BHPian

There is a brake hydraulic assist setting in the ECU that can be adjusted using the VCDS cable. I adjusted it to a setting called Early and it was the best mod ever. The Polo is now as eager to stop as it is to fly. Look up the VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda thread for details.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 18:58   #5643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
The brakes actually work well and I had ABS kick in only a couple of times in all these 40K !! But the brake feel is average.

I have upgraded to Brembo pads at 35K. Things are much better now.
You said it, I didn't. If you read my post on this thread from a few days ago, I've given the reason. The GT TSI uses brake by wire technology, because of which there is no feedback from the pedal unless you really press it hard. But the brakes have adequate stopping power for most everyday situations. It is a matter of practice, and trust. Press gently, and the braking is smooth. But the minute you panic because of the lack of feedback and press harder, the braking becomes jerky.

And of course the Brembos feel great! You spent 35k on them after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
There is a brake hydraulic assist setting in the ECU that can be adjusted using the VCDS cable. I adjusted it to a setting called Early and it was the best mod ever. The Polo is now as eager to stop as it is to fly. Look up the VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda thread for details.
With the Early setting, your brake pads are going to end up with a much shorter life. And it's actually a pain when the assist kicks in all the time. I took my FNG's advice and set it to Late. I've more control over the braking behavior now, and things are generally a lot smoother. Try it sometime. You might be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
If that fails, you could use Abro Stop Leak or some other brand's radiator stop leak.
Thank you for this suggestion. I'll discuss it with my FNG. I have reached a point after 5 years and 2 cars where I have a general distrust of VW A.S.S. A common sentiment among us Team BHPians.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 25th December 2018 at 19:05.
Old 25th December 2018, 20:56   #5644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
And of course the Brembos feel great! You spent 35k on them after all.
I have only changed the pads and skimmed the OEM discs. Cost is around 12K if i remember it right.

I drive a lot on Expressway with Cruise Control. In city I drive defensively. Infact I follow DWB (Drive without brakes) as far as possible.

I don't do kickdown, instead I use S mode on 2 lane State highways for overtaking or going up and down the ghat roads.

In slow moving city traffic S mode actually works better than D with not a lot of FE penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
I have reached a point after 5 years and 2 cars where I have a general distrust of VW A.S.S.
If you are okay to drive down to Pune give BU Bhandari a try. You will be surprised.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th December 2018 at 21:39. Reason: Formatting
Old 26th December 2018, 01:39   #5645
BHPian

I have a 2016 GT-TSI and is a gem to drive around. Absolutely no issues at all.
Have a few queries, I would be grateful if you can share some feedback.

1. The steering is stiff after a service. I maintain the exact pressure as mentioned by VW in the tyres. No other sounds emanating from the steering rack.
2. I have an RCD330G, but want to upgrade to RCD340 or RCD330G Plus with Android Auto and Carplay. Anyone knows how much will VW charge for that? VAG-TUNES Kochi quoted 24K (1K + 1K for carplay and androidauto) else 22K
Old 26th December 2018, 18:13   #5646
BHPian

Here is an update for my 47k kms run GT Tsi. It is from the first lot launched in India.

Since last few days the car would not slot in the reverse gear after driving. I had to try a few times between R and N. Also there was " Krrr" sound coming from the gearbox when in reverse. I have sent the car to workshop and they say that the clutch needs to be replaced. If mechatronic needs replacement then it would be done under goodwill. But for the clutch I have to pay 62000+ labour.

Last edited by drjanakpatel : 26th December 2018 at 18:15.
drjanakpatel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 21:10   #5647
BHPian

Enquired for a GT TSI here at Cochin, Cheranellore showroom. The SA was not at all interested in taking a booking. Nor did they show any interest in knowing our contact info or number. Sad this is the real state of VW showrooms. Any one in Cochin can help to find an enthusiastic SA at VW? Please PM the number.

Last edited by manson : 28th December 2018 at 03:29. Reason: Typo.
Old 28th December 2018, 12:54   #5648
BHPian

Hi, I Picked up a GT tsi in candy white last Sunday.

Would like to thank everyone here who helped in making the purchase decision.

From the experience of driving it for a week, I am but more than happy!! Let me try to explain my joy,

I was driving a 99zen(no power steering) consistently before this and the change almost makes me feel like I am now traveling business class on a premium airline while on road.

Had a few questions,

1. Anyone with the white gt tsi, have you guys done any kind of PPF or other works from 3m with regards to maintaining the shine on the car and providing a protective layer? Is it really important or is the paint work done by VW satisfactory?

My aim from such a work is to keep the car shiny, and as I am in ludhiana and the air is quite dirty, it takes one day to form like a thin layer of dirt. Kindly guide in what I can do regarding same other than washing the car everyday!

2. Does changing the Headlights/taillights void the warranty in anyway?

3. I noticed when you open the boot, the spoiler rests on the antenna given at the back, so much as that the antenna even bends slightly. Isn't that a bit weird?

4. When will I get the extended warranty? The SA said it would take two weeks and I'll get it by mail. I am curios as earlier he had included the price of of 4 years and on bargaining we told him to make it 5 years at the same price and he agreed. Just want to follow up and make sure that was done. If it's not done can I go back and question the SA or will that be too late?

5. I use cruise control very frequently(keeping in mind run in etc) and usually leave it at cruising from 37kmph-59kmph depending on the journey. Are there any downsides or side effects on using cruise control too often?

Thanks for your inputs in advance.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th February 2019 at 12:24. Reason: formatting for readability
phro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 13:45   #5649
BHPian

First of all hearty congratulations on the new car. Welcome to the hothatch club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phro View Post
1. Anyone with the white gt tsi, have you guys done any kind of PPF or other works from 3m with regards to maintaining the shine on the car and providing a protective layer? Is it really important or is the paint work done by VW satisfactory?
My aim from such a work is to keep the car shiny, and as I am in ludhiana and the air is quite dirty, it takes one day to form like a thin layer of dirt. Kindly guide in what I can do regarding same other than washing the car everyday!
I would say go for it. I got the paint sealant advanced protection for my candy white GT. I must say, I'm very pleased with it. I have stopped washing the car every other day like I used to. Now I just use a Jopasu duster daily (you should get one - there is a thread on TBHP dedicated to that) and wash the car on weekends with 2-3 buckets of water. And the car still shines like new.

Quote:
2. Does changing the Headlights/taillights void the warranty in anyway?
IMHO if you just get the plug n play light bulbs, it shouldn't void the warranty. Check out the Osram Night Breaker Laser and Philips Xtreme Vision.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 13:58   #5650
BHPian

Quote:
Hi.
Picked up a GT tsi in candy white last Sunday.
Would like to thank everyone here who helped in making the purchase decision.
From the experience of driving it for a week, I am but more than happy!! Let me try to explain my joy
I was driving a 99zen(no power steering) consistently before this and the change almost makes me feel like I am now traveling business class on a premium airline while on road.
Had a few questions,
Congrats on your new buy, you will surely enjoy it. Let me try to address these by points

1. You can get ppf done for areas prone to scratches - bumpers, skirts, door handles. i have personally gone for a ceramic coating on the whole car. Costed me a bomb. Dont know if you want to put that much money - i got it done for about 50k.

2. not sure, i hope other members can help.

3. yes that is odd. I dont have this problem. Probably because of the way it has been fitted by the dealer. It is a retro fit by dealerships, so they have the tendancy to do a shoddy job.

4. It should come in 2 weeks. But i suggest following up with your SA when nearing the 2 week mark.

5. no problems as such. Just be vary of road conditions for safety. Cruise control does get activated at the touch of a button when in ON position.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th December 2018 at 02:24. Reason: trimming quoted post
prashant316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 00:34   #5651

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Any one in Cochin can help to find an enthusiastic SA at VW? Please PM the number.
I booked a GT TSI from EVM Motors, Cochin recently. You can try reaching Vipin +91 98957 64026. He was very helpful to me.
Old 30th December 2018, 00:26   #5652
BHPian

A friend just sent me (He dug this somewhere from the internet), The RCD340G version, manufactured by Visteon in India. Wondering if we can get hold of this unit for the GT-TSI older versions

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-d7b922be1a3d4511b9a4436a2911db89.jpeg
avanishphatak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 08:23   #5653
Senior - BHPian

Just discovered this product on AliExpress:

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-162536336942506857.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-949121985791393837.jpg

Front hood Engine cover supporting Hydraulic rod Strut spring shock Bars bracket for VW POLO MK5 2011-2017

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bdGs000P
Rs. 1,767.33

Looks like a DIY fit
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 22:27   #5654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Just discovered this product on AliExpress:

Looks like a DIY fit
Will this impact the safety aspect of the car? like the crash zone?
avanishphatak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 22:44   #5655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanishphatak View Post
Will this impact the safety aspect of the car? like the crash zone?
This is merely a lifting strut that we are adding to the hood. Since we are not making any modifications to the core structure, crumple zones won't be affected.

As a matter of fact, gas struts come fitted as standard in many premium cars, so no need to worry in regards to safety.
Pferdestarke is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks